RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/19/21 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Yeah, I'm not seeing how this team makes the playoffs. Even if Bonner and Jonquel Jones have awesome seasons. That backcourt isn't going to be able to score enough to keep up with the rest of the league. January is probably the most in-need-of-replacement starter in the league at this point, and I say that as a huge fan.

If everyone stays healthy they should make the playoffs. Are they a championship contender? No.

PostPosted: 04/19/21 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This does not bode well for CT!

awhom wrote:
presumably Jonquel Jones will play some of the season and then join Bosnia and Herzegovina.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/19/21 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Yeah, I'm not seeing how this team makes the playoffs. Even if Bonner and Jonquel Jones have awesome seasons. That backcourt isn't going to be able to score enough to keep up with the rest of the league. January is probably the most in-need-of-replacement starter in the league at this point, and I say that as a huge fan.

If everyone stays healthy they should make the playoffs. Are they a championship contender? No.

What 4+ teams are they going to be better than? On paper, I would say only Indiana at this point. (On top of my above statements they also have the weakest bench in the league, and by a pretty wide margin.)

PostPosted: 04/19/21 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They were a .500 team and a game away from the Finals last season. This year's squad is basically the same, only with Jonquel Jones instead of Alyssa Thomas. I don't think it's much of a stretch to see them as a similar quality team again.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They were a .500 team and a game away from the Finals last season. This year's squad is basically the same, only with Jonquel Jones instead of Alyssa Thomas. I don't think it's much of a stretch to see them as a similar quality team again.

Yeahhhh...but the reason they were so good last year is missing the season to injury. Without Alyssa, who does the offense flow through? Two of their three best players, Jones and Jones, play the same position - exclusively. Jasmine Thomas and January are past their prime and don't have a chance of hanging with the rest of the league offensively, and Bonner can only do so much to keep the defense honest on Jones and Jones. Last year they surprised me in the second half of the season, and I think Curt Miller is an awesome coach, but when I look at this roster I see 1) the least balance from 1-5 and 2) the least overall talent from 1-12. Again...pointing to that dumpsterfire of a bench. As I'm writing this the more confident I am. Alyssa Thomas is the magic. It might be pretty sad without her.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

One key difference is that Alyssa Thomas is a secondary facilitator for the Sun, able to complement the backcourt facilitation and ball movement of Jasmine Thomas and Briann January.

While she was never the best free throw shooter - despite a large number of attempts - she made 25-32 (.781) in seven playoff games. But she was prolific at getting to the line -- and a great rebounder for her size.

With Jonquel Jones back, does Curt Miller shift her to a PF position, with Jones at center and Bonner on the wing?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/20/21 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
With Jonquel Jones back, does Curt Miller shift her to a PF position, with Jones at center and Bonner on the wing?

That would be my choice. She is already playing a lot of pick&pop with UMMC. Shooting a lot of 3's over there. Playing alongside Griner and Stewie so i see no reason why she couldnt play PF with Jones at the 5 and Bonner at the 3. When you want more speed you can always sub Jones out and slide JJ to the 5.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/20/21 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bad enough w/ no AT. Having a part-time JJ adds to the woe.

As of now it projects as a potentially disastrous season.

I think Carrington will get significant court time because the backcourt is ho-hum and she's versatile on both sides of the ball.

Low expectations for me. Sad

Shades

PostPosted: 04/20/21 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:

I think Carrington will get significant court time because the backcourt is ho-hum and she's versatile on both sides of the ball.

If she can somehow surpass Charles in the pecking order, maybe she’ll get enough minutes to become ROY. Must be why I voted for her in the prelim poll. 🤔

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 04/20/21 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jen Rizzotti named president

https://sun.wnba.com/news/mohegan-sun-names-jennifer-rizzotti-president-of-connecticut-sun/

PostPosted: 04/20/21 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://sun.wnba.com/news/mohegan-sun-names-jennifer-rizzotti-president-of-connecticut-sun/

Shocked

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/20/21 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why are WNBA teams all of a sudden hiring failed college coaches as president?

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/20/21 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. I don't really see how her playing and coaching experience translates to being qualified to be responsible "for the overall business operations and marketing strategies of the Mohegan Tribe owned WNBA franchise that plays its home games in Mohegan Sun Arena."
2. She fired off some tweets that seemed to make it sound like she thought she shouldn't have been let go by GW. Uh, record by year, taking over a program that had been to back-to-back NCAA tournaments: 20-10, 19-14, 10-20, 14-16, 9-14.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/20/21 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I really hope this isn't an indicator that the Sun want to turn into summer camp for UConn fans. It was fun watching the Sun build their own fan base, overlapping with but not exclusively consisting of Husky fans.

(now with spelling variations)
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 04/20/21 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:

I really hope this isn't an indicator that the Sun want to turn into summer camp for UConn fans. It was fun watching the Sun build their own fan base, overlapping with but not exclusively consisting of Husky fans.

Likewise.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/21/21 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is really odd ...

You would think that a $3 million dollar business would want to hire someone with a business background to run the operation.

UConn fans are unlikely to buy tickets to watch Jen Rizzotti sit in the team suite.

Rizzzoti's basketball resume isn't that impressive either.

Weird ...

PostPosted: 04/21/21 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

You would think that a $3 million dollar business would want to hire someone with a business background to run the operation.

Hopefully, like most Presidents, she will have someone by her side that actually does know the business so she can primarily be a figurehead until she figures it all out.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/09/21 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Sun waive Morgan Bertsch, Feyonda Fitzgerald, and Micaela Kelly

so we have:
Jasmine Thomas/Natisha Hiedeman (maybe)
Briann January
Carrington/Kaila Charles(maybe)
DeWanna Bonner
Jonquel Jones/Brionna Jones
[Alyssa Thomas]

assuming Hiedeman and Charles are done deals, then they will only have two of:
S.Jones
Mompremier
Fraser
Smalls
Goodman

Presumably at least one, and maybe both, will be posts.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/09/21 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on minutes & performance, I'm thinking the Sun keep Carrington and Stephanie Jones out of their rookie group. I wish they'd keep Goodman, since she brings the 3PT shooting that I don't think they'd get out of the others consistently; but even though she led the team with 5 assists in their game yesterday, she was 0-4 from downtown.

PG: JThomas/Hiedeman
SG: January/Carrington
SF: Bonner/Charles
PF: BJones/SJones
C: JJones/Mompremier

Injured: AThomas

Still, with Alyssa Thomas still taking up a spot, the Sun are one injury/absence away from a roster-hardship player. On that note, do we know yet if Jonquel Jones will be playing in EuroBasket for Bosnia & Herzegovina?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/09/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
On that note, do we know yet if Jonquel Jones will be playing in EuroBasket for Bosnia & Herzegovina?

She's in their initially-named large squad: https://basket.ba/objavljen-spisak-zenske-kosarkaske-reprezentacije-za-pripreme-za-eurobasket-2021/

PostPosted: 05/09/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
On that note, do we know yet if Jonquel Jones will be playing in EuroBasket for Bosnia & Herzegovina?

She's in their initially-named large squad: https://basket.ba/objavljen-spisak-zenske-kosarkaske-reprezentacije-za-pripreme-za-eurobasket-2021/

So unless she takes herself out of contention for a spot there, it's looking likely. Hell, the Sun may need a roster-hardship player out of the gate if not everyone is even in Connecticut. I see that the Sun's starting backcourt is still absent... so they may need an extra PG anyway until at least one of them returns & gets cleared to play.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/13/21 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aleah Goodman signed as a Hardship player.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut Sun activated Jasmine Thomas
Connecticut Sun released Aleah Goodman»Hardship release

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/19/21 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sun name Morgan Tuck President of Player Development.

No offense but, she's not a name I would associate with player and development.

Kidding. She'll probably do well in this role. Those who can't do, teach.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/19/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Sun name Morgan Tuck President of Player Development.

No offense but, she's not a name I would associate with player and development.

Kidding. She'll probably do well in this role. Those who can't do, teach.

Franchise Development*

https://sun.wnba.com/news/morgan-tuck-named-director-of-franchise-development/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: