RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/09/21 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If she's not playing this year, wouldn't that mean her rookie contract would still be in effect for another year.

The contract always, always, always just keeps going. So she'd have been out of contract, but Chicago would have held her exclusive negotiating rights.

Now, unless they agree an extension, LA would hold her exclusive negotiating rights.

PostPosted: 05/09/21 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
She hasn't shown much and she's about to come off her rookie contract and get more expensive. That's why they dumped her.

Agreed. Ultimately, Williams was never a great fit for Chicago. Imo, both she and DeShields are true 3s/SFs. Looking back, drafting them together as back-to-back lottery picks was downright boneheaded – maybe even worse than playing her at the 4 so many times. (🗣No one below 6' will ever find success as a post player in this League! [@ Walt Hopkins]). I'm hoping she can start fresh next season with a team that'll actually play her as a SF and nothing else – I can't see LA playing her anywhere else as they seem to be secure in the post group and the guard group. She could be a fantastic primary perimeter defender, à la Alysha Clark. Her 3PT shooting ability though I'll probably never be sold on, but maybe on LA she stops taking them.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/09/21 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Randy wrote:
What I don't get is why LA wants to sign her to an extension so quickly. Unless they can get away with a deal like Sykes got.

Every brain cell in Gabby's head will have to implode in order for her to accept that low ball deal that Sykes got. She can get a better deal by becoming a free agent.

She won’t be a free agent any time soon, unless the Sparks decide they don’t want her rights, which probably won’t happen since they traded for her, so trying to get a “better” deal via free agency isn’t going to happen.

Milks26

PostPosted: 05/09/21 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Agreed. Ultimately, Williams was never a great fit for Chicago. Imo, both she and DeShields are true 3s/SFs. Looking back, drafting them together as back-to-back lottery picks was downright boneheaded – maybe even worse than playing her at the 4 so many times. (🗣No one below 6' will ever find success as a post player in this League!

Agreed!

Well, Chicago was trying to trade her since the draft so the move shouldn't be too much for a surprise.

PostPosted: 05/09/21 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Randy wrote:
What I don't get is why LA wants to sign her to an extension so quickly. Unless they can get away with a deal like Sykes got.

Every brain cell in Gabby's head will have to implode in order for her to accept that low ball deal that Sykes got. She can get a better deal by becoming a free agent.

She won’t be a free agent any time soon, unless the Sparks decide they don’t want her rights, which probably won’t happen since they traded for her, so trying to get a “better” deal via free agency isn’t going to happen.

She will be a RFA next season.

PostPosted: 05/09/21 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Randy wrote:

She only has 3 years of playing in the WNBA, so she won’t be a restricted free agent unless she some how is able to play this season, which I don’t think is possible, so the Sparks will be the only team she can negotiate with unless they trade her.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/09/21 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Gabby a good fit in LA? A team who lost majority of their shooters last season? Sniper and Gray filled in with Wheeler and Gabby with coffee hmm idk. She makes them better defensively pretty much filling TRP’s role on this team. She would have been a better fit in Seattle IMO.

PostPosted: 05/10/21 4:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Is Gabby a good fit in LA? A team who lost majority of their shooters last season? Sniper and Gray filled in with Wheeler and Gabby with coffee hmm idk. She makes them better defensively pretty much filling TRP’s role on this team. She would have been a better fit in Seattle IMO.

Yeah for this year i would of liked her with the Storm. Next year we got Stewie, Russel and Canada coming of their contract and getting bigger paychecks so i dont know if we could give her that much. But yeah i would of liked the option.
I like her game and if she works on her outside shot i think she can become one of the better 2way players in this league

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/10/21 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Randy wrote:

She only has 3 years of playing in the WNBA, so she won’t be a restricted free agent unless she some how is able to play this season, which I don’t think is possible, so the Sparks will be the only team she can negotiate with unless they trade her.

Richyyy answered this. Contracts always move forward. So even if she doesn't play this season she will become an RFA next year.
Richyyy made the post 5:42pm Sunday on this thread if you need verification.

PostPosted: 05/10/21 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Richyyy answered this. Contracts always move forward. So even if she doesn't play this season she will become an RFA next year.

No, GEF34 is right. Contracts keep moving forward as I said, but your status is defined by your Years of Service in the league. So again, she'd be out of contract, but with only 3 years of service the team she's on would hold her exclusive negotiating rights.

PostPosted: 05/10/21 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

No, GEF34 is right. Contracts keep moving forward as I said, but your status is defined by your Years of Service in the league. So again, she'd be out of contract, but with only 3 years of service the team she's on would hold her exclusive negotiating rights.

Thanks Richyyy. Well I guess Gabby will be making some chump change next year.

PostPosted: 05/10/21 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Yeah for this year i would of liked her with the Storm. Next year we got Stewie, Russel and Canada coming of their contract and getting bigger paychecks so i dont know if we could give her that much. But yeah i would of liked the option.
I like her game and if she works on her outside shot i think she can become one of the better 2way players in this league

I agree , she has a little Alysha Clark 2.0 Plus the athletics to get it done !

PostPosted: 05/10/21 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I agree , she has a little Alysha Clark 2.0 Plus the athletics to get it done !

PostPosted: 05/13/21 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
WNBA legend & 4x Champion Seimone Augustus is retiring from the WNBA and will be named a Sparks Assistant Coach.

https://twitter.com/RachGall/status/1392956590018367490

Shocked Exclamation

Coyotes

PostPosted: 05/13/21 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sydney Weise also traded to Mystics for 2nd Round Pick in 2022.

Uh. Okay, I guess.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/13/21 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Does that mean that Guirantes, Coffey and Holmes all made the team?

PostPosted: 05/13/21 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Los Angeles Sparks suspended the contract of Maria Vadeeva»Temporary

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/13/21 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so

Wheeler/Cooper
Toliver/Guirantes
Sykes/Holmes/Coffey
N. Ogwumike/Zahui B/Walker
C. Ogwumike/(Vadeeva)

Shades

PostPosted: 05/14/21 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gabby officially got her extension.
https://sparks.wnba.com/news/la-sparks-sign-gabby-williams-to-contract-extension/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/14/21 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
so

Wheeler/Cooper
Toliver/Guirantes
Sykes/Holmes/Coffey
N. Ogwumike/Zahui B/Walker
C. Ogwumike/(Vadeeva)

it will be interesting to see who actually starts for this team. Could be as you suggest but I could also see:
Toliver
Sykes
Holmes, Coffey, or Walker
N. Ogumike
Zahui B.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/26/21 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Jasmine Walker to Miss Rest of Season with Torn ACL

LA Sparks rookie Jasmine Walker left last Friday’s game against the Las Vegas Aces in the first quarter with a non-contact knee injury and did not return. After undergoing a subsequent MRI in Los Angeles at Cedars-Sinai Kerlan-Jobe Institute, it was revealed she suffered a torn ACL in her right knee. Walker will immediately undergo rehab in preparation for surgery in the coming weeks. She will miss the remainder of the 2021 season.

https://sparks.wnba.com/news/jasmine-walker-to-miss-season-with-torn-acl/

Such bad news... I drafted Captain Walker in our fantasy draft... was looking forward to seeing her play Sad

Milks26

PostPosted: 05/26/21 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man! And the only real impact she had so far with the team was during a pre season game

PostPosted: 06/03/21 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to their Draft Kings profiles, Nneka is going to be out to six weeks with a knee sprain and Chiney is week to week with a right knee injury.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/03/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, it would seem that this team qualifies for a hardship player. Former Sparks Kristine Anigwe, Kalani Brown, and Reshanda Gray are still out there...

Randy

PostPosted: 06/03/21 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
So, it would seem that this team qualifies for a hardship player. Former Sparks Kristine Anigwe, Kalani Brown, and Reshanda Gray are still out there...

Now sure about Gray but both Brown and Anigwe have done time in LA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: