RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/19/21 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA training camps, given the number of missing players, are not a great proving ground. The Sparks have seen a lot of TRP and know exactly what she brings to the table.

As mentioned, she might help someone, but the veteran salary scale makes younger players more attractive -- not to mention the fact that the younger players are more likely to improve.

PostPosted: 04/19/21 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wheeler/Cooper
Toliver/Wiese/Guirantes??
Sykes/(Augustus vs Holmes)
NOgwumike/COgwumike/Walker
Zahui/Vadeeva (Anigwe until Vadeeva arrives)

My brutal cuts:
Anigwe after Vadeeva arrives (if it’s affordable, otherwise cut her early)
Coffey (Coffey and Téa don’t mix! Choose one or the other)
Watts (Watt was Fisher thinking?)
Augustus or Holmes (maybe I’m overvaluing Wiese, but I feel she is the locker room glue player of the team)

Maybe he ends up keeping Watts over Wiese because you need those cheap rookie contracts if you want to be able to acquire expensive free agents.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/19/21 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my view you can't cut August's and Anigwe is better than Walker and they have spent time developing Weiss

So watch it be Holmes Walker and Watt

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/19/21 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I keep seeing comparisons of Walker to other players that don't seem appropriate at all. Jasmine is a stretch 4. She is not a 3, and she is not a 5. Walker's strength is that she is a relatively big player who can shoot 3-pointers at an efficient rate. After watching a half dozen games, it seems to me that she is neither exceptionally good nor notably bad at anything else.

PostPosted: 04/19/21 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not comparing Walker to Anigwe just counting post spots

If there are traditionally 5 posts on a 12 player roster, and NNeka, Chiney, Zahui B and Vadeeva are four of them there is one spot left for either Anigwe or Walker after Vadeeva arrives regardless of their true positions I would prefer Anigwe.

If Anigwe got cut would love for NY to pick her up but doubt that happens

bbsamjj

PostPosted: 04/19/21 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Taking Vadeeva out, my guess is the final 3 to make the roster are from these 5 players:

Anigwe
Coffey
Guirantes
Holmes
Watts

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/19/21 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barring something unlikely, Vadeeva is going to be one of 12. All season.

PostPosted: 04/19/21 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vadeeva is all or nothing. She counts against the cap if she's temporarily suspended.

Looking at the roster, I'd be concerned that Vadeeva will just choose not to come and play out the string when the Sparks reach the break at 7-12 or thereabouts. They're not contenders regardless of whether Vadeeva comes.

#NATC

PostPosted: 04/19/21 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Barring something unlikely, Vadeeva is going to be one of 12. All season.

Reading that gave me Alison Lacey flashbacks

PostPosted: 04/19/21 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Vadeeva is all or nothing. She counts against the cap if she's temporarily suspended.

Yes, but technically if they shed enough salary they could temporarily suspend her and keep her as a 13th. Hence why I said it was unlikely, rather than impossible.

PostPosted: 05/02/21 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eI8ldW-lXeo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Milks26

PostPosted: 05/06/21 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Update on Guirantes

https://twitter.com/mellentuck/status/1390426372401729540/photo/1[/url]

PostPosted: 05/06/21 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Update on Guirantes

https://twitter.com/mellentuck/status/1390426372401729540/photo/1

what was the holdup? Why hasn't she been there before now? Did she have covid?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/06/21 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
Update on Guirantes

They haven't officially said that, but given the half-assed 'reasons' they've been offering so far, it sure as hell seems like it. That or something else showed up on the initial medical that needed to be dealt with (but I'm not sure what that would be that it would keep her away from the squad, and then be sorted in a couple of weeks).

PostPosted: 05/06/21 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
Update on Guirantes

They haven't officially said that, but given the half-assed 'reasons' they've been offering so far, it sure as hell seems like it. That or something else showed up on the initial medical that needed to be dealt with (but I'm not sure what that would be that it would keep her away from the squad, and then be sorted in a couple of weeks).

That's what I'm thinking to - she got Covid from someone at her watch party (I couldn't resist). The whole think was wierd.

PostPosted: 05/06/21 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Milks26 wrote:
Update on Guirantes

That's what I'm thinking to - she got Covid from someone at her watch party (I couldn't resist). The whole think was wierd.

You know. I already wondered about that. There were a lot of maskless people around at those watch parties. I don't remember hers in particular, but still...

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/06/21 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I assume it is just a mistake that WNBA.com lists here as signing with the Aces, or did I miss something?

pilight

PostPosted: 05/09/21 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Los Angeles Sparks have acquired Gabby Williams from the Chicago Sky in exchange for Stephanie Watts and the rights to Leonie Fiebich. A contract extension for Williams is imminent.

PostPosted: 05/09/21 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Los Angeles Sparks have acquired Gabby Williams from the Chicago Sky in exchange for Stephanie Watts and the rights to Leonie Fiebich. A contract extension for Williams is imminent.

So can Williams be un-full season suspended and join the team post-Olympics? Or will her status as full-season suspended (have to) remain for this year, regardless of a contract extension getting done?

Never mind, I have my answer: her full-season suspension status will remain for the year.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/09/21 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

So can Williams be un-full season suspended and join the team post-Olympics? Or will her status as full-season suspended (have to) remain for this year, regardless of a contract extension getting done?

Never mind, I have my answer: her full-season suspension status will remain for the year.

which means it makes even less sense why Chicago would dump her for peanuts. Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 05/09/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

which means it makes even less sense why Chicago would dump her for peanuts. Laughing

She hasn't shown much and she's about to come off her rookie contract and get more expensive. That's why they dumped her.

PostPosted: 05/09/21 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

She hasn't shown much and she's about to come off her rookie contract and get more expensive. That's why they dumped her.

It would've cost them nothing to hold on to her for now and see what's on offer leading up to next year's draft or during 2022 free agency, though. If they cut Watts before Friday they almost literally traded her for nothing.

PostPosted: 05/09/21 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What I don't get is why LA wants to sign her to an extension so quickly. Unless they can get away with a deal like Sykes got.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/09/21 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

It would've cost them nothing to hold on to her for now and see what's on offer leading up to next year's draft or during 2022 free agency, though. If they cut Watts before Friday they almost literally traded her for nothing.

If she's not playing this year, wouldn't that mean her rookie contract would still be in effect for another year.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/09/21 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
What I don't get is why LA wants to sign her to an extension so quickly. Unless they can get away with a deal like Sykes got.

Every brain cell in Gabby's head will have to implode in order for her to accept that low ball deal that Sykes got. She can get a better deal by becoming a free agent.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: