RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/02/21 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Orrrrrr maybe she wouldn't mind getting cut where it could possibly lead to a tryout here in Seattle...

Stewarta's a cute couple, and Vanderquigs have proven that it can work, but...whose spot would she take? I'm not sure I'd be confortable with the implications of...is nepotism the right word?

PostPosted: 05/02/21 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Orrrrrr maybe she wouldn't mind getting cut where it could possibly lead to a tryout here in Seattle...

Stewarta's a cute couple, and Vanderquigs have proven that it can work, but...whose spot would she take? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with the implications of...is nepotism the right word?

It might be nepotism or something like it, but at the same time, it's not like we don't have a spot or two open. It'd be very possible for Xargay with her wealth of overseas experience to come in & beat out young players like Williams and Laksa for a spot. Plus, she's enough of a PG to back-up the 1, and has enough size/shooting to back-up the 2. Hell, imo she could even put Prince's spot in jeopardy...

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 05/02/21 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
IMO the spots most likely to change hands are Cunningham's and Peddy's. Cunningham simply hasn't shown a whole lot within the scope of her first two years. Peddy, one heroic playoff shot aside, is also still firmly a fringe player. Too, being even later to camp than Xargay may hurt her chances at retaining her spot. (But at least if she does get cut, the Mystics could consider bringing her back.) Overall, if Xargay performs well/is her usual self in camp, I think she could certainly snag herself one of those spots. Orrrrrr maybe she wouldn't mind getting cut where it could possibly lead to a tryout here in Seattle...

Huh? Sophie was a starter for a while during the bubble season and actually did pretty well given the circumstances. I don’t think she’s a full-time starter, but she’s had her moments and has shown some promise as a complimentary player. Plus, she’s cheap at the moment and was coming off having Covid last season.

Peddy I’m not that sure of. But, I’m not fully sure the other guards in camp are any better than her.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 05/02/21 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this year could be pivotal for both Sophie and Alanna. They both had some really good moments last year, but haven’t been able to fully put everything together. I’m hoping we see more out of Megan since she will be coming into the season healthy.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/02/21 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Stewarta's a cute couple, and Vanderquigs have proven that it can work, but...whose spot would she take? I'm not sure I'd be confortable with the implications of...is nepotism the right word?

Stewie popped the question today in Phoenix. Happy for them!

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/02/21 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Huh? Sophie was a starter for a while during the bubble season and actually did pretty well given the circumstances. I don’t think she’s a full-time starter, but she’s had her moments and has shown some promise as a complimentary player. Plus, she’s cheap at the moment and was coming off having Covid last season.

Peddy I’m not that sure of. But, I’m not fully sure the other guards in camp are any better than her.

I think this year could be pivotal for both Sophie and Alanna. They both had some really good moments last year, but haven’t been able to fully put everything together. I’m hoping we see more out of Megan since she will be coming into the season healthy.

Maybe Cunningham was better defensively, since her stats say she averaged 5 PPG on 39% FG (24% 3PT), 1 RPG, and less than 1 APG. Again, my interpretation from the admittedly limited action I saw from her was rooted in an overall lack of consistency. I agree though, this will be a big year for the Class of 2019 players. Ya really need to start establishing your presence in Year 3 if you haven't already – otherwise your team will eventually give up on you & find someone better.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 05/02/21 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

Maybe Cunningham was better defensively, since her stats say she averaged 5 PPG on 39% FG (24% 3PT), 1 RPG, and less than 1 APG. Again, my interpretation from the admittedly limited action I saw from her was rooted in an overall lack of consistency. I agree though, this will be a big year for the Class of 2019 players. Ya really need to start establishing your presence in Year 3 if you haven't already – otherwise your team will eventually give up on you & find someone better.

Just defensively and overall energy, it was a noticeable difference when she was inserted in the starting lineup. I do agree, consistency is an issue for her, but that is pretty common for a lot of inexperienced players. Again, she didn’t really get to work out at all in the off-season leading up to year 2 (she believed she had Covid twice), so I think all things considered she did fine. I’m intrigued to see what she can do with an entire offseason to prepare and work on some of her weaknesses.

Last edited by TotalCardinalMove on 05/02/21 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

She was an excellent complementary piece when she was inserted into the starting lineup. Just one of those players that fit well. I mean, at the end of the day..our best three guards were clearly Taurasi, Hartley, and Diggins - and obviously we want to get back to that.

Now, that being said..I don't think she brings anything that Nurse won't bring, but Cunningham is cheap and if she's around good offensive players, she's a good player to have.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree about her 2020 season. She was a handy role player so I'm a little surprised by mentions of cutting her.
If we do it's certainly a good sign for the quality of our roster.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Just defensively and overall energy, it was a noticeable difference when she was inserted in the starting lineup. I do agree, consistency is an issue for her, but that is pretty common for a lot of inexperienced players. Again, she didn’t really get to work out at all in the off-season leading up to year 2 (she believed she had Covid twice), so I think all things considered she did fine. I’m intrigued to see what she can do with an entire offseason to prepare and work on some of her weaknesses.

I forgot about that. Yeah, that could've impacted her overall performance last season, especially in the beginning of the season.

mercfan3 wrote:
I don't think she brings anything that Nurse won't bring, but Cunningham is cheap and if she's around good offensive players, she's a good player to have.

The acquisitions of Nurse and Walker, who play the same positions as Cunningham, don't seem like a vote of confidence in Cunningham's favor to me. Still, she could very well be better as a result of competing against them in practice & playing around them/more talent in games.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/03/21 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

I forgot about that. Yeah, that could've impacted her overall performance last season, especially in the beginning of the season.

mercfan3 wrote:
I don't think she brings anything that Nurse won't bring, but Cunningham is cheap and if she's around good offensive players, she's a good player to have.

The acquisitions of Nurse and Walker, who play the same positions as Cunningham, don't seem like a vote of confidence in Cunningham's favor to me. Still, she could very well be better as a result of competing against them in practice & playing around them/more talent in games.

One thing about her is that she could play the 4 if we went small. She was a forward that played like a stretch 4.

As much as I think Nurse brings more than Cunningham, I'm not 100% sold that Walker does.

PostPosted: 05/03/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

mercfan3 wrote:

One thing about her is that she could play the 4 if we went small. She was a forward that played like a stretch 4.

As much as I think Nurse brings more than Cunningham, I'm not 100% sold that Walker does.

I think Walker *could* be a better defender and rebounder than Cunningham.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/03/21 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

mercfan3 wrote:

It took Walker a little bit to get going at UConn - and that was without any Covid in the picture. I think Megan will (eventually) be a stud in Phoenix.

~rAf
mb1

PostPosted: 05/07/21 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2021 PHOENIX MERCURY ROSTER PROJECTIONS:

[b]PG: SKYLAR DIGGINS-SMITH, BRIA HARTLEY
, Tiana Mangakahia, Shey Peddy

SG: DIANA TAURASI, Marta Xargay, Sophie Cunningham

SF: KIA NURSE, MEGAN WALKER, Sara Blicavs

PF: BRIANA TURNER, ALANNA SMITH, Cierra Burdick

C: BRITTNEY GRINER, KIA VAUGHN, Cierra Johnson, Avery Worley-Tolbert, Akela Maize

BOLD AND ALL CAPS ARE LOCKS (SIX).

Non-bold ALL CAPS are likely (now nine).

Tiana Mangakahia, Marta Xargay, and Sophie Cunningham may be battling for one or two spots.

Cierra Johnson and Sara Blicavs may battle for a spot.

Cierra Burdick and Avery Warley-Talbert won’t be 11th player due to veteran minimums and salary cap implications.

Some will say Cunningham is very likely and Walker more of a maybe. Should be interesting.

If BG comes to play, Hartley recovers nicely, DT stays healthy, and Turner continues rapidly improving; with the addition of Nurse...I am liking this team.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/07/21 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Important season for Smith IMO, because she's more like AlaNaA sMiTh to me atm in terms of whether her performances warrants her name being in all caps. I'm a fan of hers, but a slightly concerned one.

PostPosted: 05/08/21 3:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Noticing Ciera Johnson has a rookie scale contract versus a training camp contract, yet that might simply be a requirement since she was drafted versus invited.

https://herhoopstats.com/salary-cap-sheet/wnba/team/phoenix-mercury-11eaecc7-357f-c1ca-b611-2362f5011b0b/

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
mb1

PostPosted: 05/08/21 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn’t take long...

https://twitter.com/phoenixmercury/status/1391203137646600196?s=21

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Shades

PostPosted: 05/08/21 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OFFICIAL: We’ve waived Akela Maize, Avery Warley-Talbert and Marta Xargay.

BOOYAH! Got any room in SEA?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mb1

PostPosted: 05/08/21 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix Mercury per Twitter at 6:27pm:

“OFFICIAL: We’ve waived Akela Maize, Avery Warley-Talbert and Marta Xargay.”

2021 PHOENIX MERCURY ROSTER PROJECTIONS:

[b]PG: SKYLAR DIGGINS-SMITH, BRIA HARTLEY, Tiana Mangakahia, Shey Peddy

SG: DIANA TAURASI, SOPHIE CUNNINGHAM

SF: KIA NURSE, MEGAN WALKER, Sara Blicavs

PF: BRIANA TURNER, ALANNA SMITH, Cierra Burdick

C: BRITTNEY GRINER, KIA VAUGHN, Ciera Johnson

SDS, BH, DT, KN, BT, and BG are solid locks (that is six).

SC, AS, and KV are likely (now at nine). MW as well (now at 10).

Leaves Tiana, Shey, Sara, Cierra, and Cierra battling for one spot.

Salary cap may preclude it from being Burdick.

My heart wants Tiana.

———————————————————————————

Observations from a meaningless preseason game:

Love my Aussies, yet Alanna Smith and Sara Blicavs have poor defense.

Cierra Burdick is the only reserve post who slightly impressed.

For Seattle, Girecki and Laksa have nice shooting strokes.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
mb1

PostPosted: 05/08/21 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/wnba/mercury/2021/05/08/mercury-fall-storm-preseason-game-waive-three-afterwards/7368618002/

Perhaps Sophie isn’t definite.

Also, I have no problem with Shey competing for a spot.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/08/21 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
OFFICIAL: We’ve waived Akela Maize, Avery Warley-Talbert and Marta Xargay.

I totally forgot who Maize was and had to look up where she came from. I guess she must have been performing overseas to get picked up at all.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/09/21 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix Suns/Mercury new training facility:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TVIHNOgrBOA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVIHNOgrBOA

PostPosted: 05/10/21 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

mercfan3 wrote:

It took Walker a little bit to get going at UConn - and that was without any Covid in the picture. I think Megan will (eventually) be a stud in Phoenix.

I agree, and she played out of position at UCONN. She is a big guard who can shoot, pass, rebound, and defend. Her last year at UCONN, she put up great stats, but she played on the worst UCONN team since 2005, so that hindered her a bit.

mb1

PostPosted: 05/10/21 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mercury waived Cierra Burdick.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 05/10/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:

mercfan3 wrote:

Looks like she got outplayed by Cunningham in today’s scrimmage. It’s just a scrimmage of course, but I’m just not convinced she’s worth keeping for 63k.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: