Washington Mystics 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 03/10/21 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what does "marketing money" mean?

PostPosted: 03/10/21 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The CBA also proposes a minimum of $1.6 million in offseason league and team marketing agreements that would create up to $300,000 in additional annual cash compensation for select players.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 03/10/21 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So they have now institutionalized the "Ambassador" type deal. That's great as long as every team is getting a piece of the action.

Last edited by Randy on 03/10/21 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 03/10/21 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn't there already an off-season incentive prior to the new CBA?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/10/21 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Wasn't there already an off-season incentive prior to the new CBA?

That's the 'Time-Off Bonus' money that does count on the cap. Each team also has a marketing budget for each season, which doesn't count on the cap and can be allocated to individual players. You're not really allowed to negotiate it as part of contract negotiations, so this is a teensy bit dodgy, but we probably won't hear if anyone complains.

PostPosted: 03/10/21 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Natasha Cloud will also earn some marketing money. This may be coming from a $100,000 annual budget each team has to entice star players to stay in the United States during the winter as well as a $1.6 million league-wide budget to improve marketing efforts. These amounts are not part of Cloud’s cap hit and it’s unclear how much she will get from marketing budgets. That said, the most she could earn from the WNBA’s league-wide marketing budget is $250,000 given league rules.

What does this mean for Cloud?
Cloud comes out as a big winner monetarily and this is also the team she wanted to play for anyway. She re-signs for multiple seasons and will be there as long as Elena Delle Donne is. She may be earning $300,000 or more in 2021, once marketing money is included.

www.bulletsforever.com/mystics/2021/3/10/22322528/wnba-free-agency-2021-natasha-cloud-washington-mystics-contract-analysis-emma-meesseman

Note: Elena has a bonus clause in her contract.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/10/21 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's so much nonsense in that Bullets Forever article that it's hard to know where to start. Yeesh.

PostPosted: 03/10/21 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So what does "marketing money" mean?
thats money you spend on your grocerys.

PostPosted: 03/10/21 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike T on Emma Meeseman:

“We’re not even working on a deal right now,” said Mystics head coach Mike Thibault at Wednesday’s Zoom conference. “That’s going to be something that we discuss later on with her. There’s no plan to have her here at the start of the year. Not by her or by us. It would be hard on us salary cap-wise to have her come here, be signed and then leave again. We don’t have that kind of cap and we’ve known that for a while.

“She and I have discussed what the end of the season could look like, but she’s got national team commitments for a long time. ... If she comes, and we’re hoping she does, it will probably be after the Olympics on a prorated salary for the balance of the year. That’s just what her schedule dictates.”

Sounds to me like Mike T is finding a way to juggle 1) Emma's commitment to Belgium's national team and 2) Salary cap issues. This statement tells me that Mike T well knows Emma's value to the team and wants to maximize the time she plays in a Mystics uni. From Emma's viewpoint, it's a dream come true. She can play for her national team and not completely sacrifice playing in the WNBA. This illustrates why she is sticking with the Mystics - the willingness to not make her choose between her national team and the WNBA.

Emma has been with the Mystics long enough that she has playing chemistry with all the core players, so can arrive late in the season and give the team a boost for the playoff run and playoffs. If the Styx suffer a couple of losses due to her absence, it might affect their playoff seeding, but with her in the lineup for the playoffs, the seeding won't matter. Having Emma on the floor gives the Mystics an entirely different look - a look most teams won't have time to prepare for, given how little time teams have between games late in the season. Sure they'll have tape and good scouting but they won't have time to practice based on scouting.

I seriously could not be more pleased with how Mike T runs this team.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/10/21 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Mike T on Emma Meeseman:

“We’re not even working on a deal right now,” said Mystics head coach Mike Thibault at Wednesday’s Zoom conference. “That’s going to be something that we discuss later on with her. There’s no plan to have her here at the start of the year. Not by her or by us. It would be hard on us salary cap-wise to have her come here, be signed and then leave again. We don’t have that kind of cap and we’ve known that for a while.

“She and I have discussed what the end of the season could look like, but she’s got national team commitments for a long time. ... If she comes, and we’re hoping she does, it will probably be after the Olympics on a prorated salary for the balance of the year. That’s just what her schedule dictates.”

Sounds to me like Mike T is finding a way to juggle 1) Emma's commitment to Belgium's national team and 2) Salary cap issues. This statement tells me that Mike T well knows Emma's value to the team and wants to maximize the time she plays in a Mystics uni. From Emma's viewpoint, it's a dream come true. She can play for her national team and not completely sacrifice playing in the WNBA. This illustrates why she is sticking with the Mystics - the willingness to not make her choose between her national team and the WNBA.

Emma has been with the Mystics long enough that she has playing chemistry with all the core players, so can arrive late in the season and give the team a boost for the playoff run and playoffs. If the Styx suffer a couple of losses due to her absence, it might affect their playoff seeding, but with her in the lineup for the playoffs, the seeding won't matter. Having Emma on the floor gives the Mystics an entirely different look - a look most teams won't have time to prepare for, given how little time teams have between games late in the season. Sure they'll have tape and good scouting but they won't have time to practice based on scouting.

I seriously could not be more pleased with how Mike T runs this team.

One substitution: Emma in for Tina Charles - the team is drastically different.

~rAf
Randy

PostPosted: 03/10/21 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I'd say it won't be as good, unless Charles suddenly becomes rejuvenated.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/10/21 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Tina is actually replacing LaToya in the Mystics starting line-up.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/11/21 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

You're going to see a new Tina Charles - playing in an established system with players who can score from every position. The Mystics don't need her to be high scorer - just to help play post defense and fit into the system on offense and defense.

~rAf
Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/11/21 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Women’s Hoopz
@WomensHoopz
Emma Meesseman sitting out the season, the #WNBA working on bringing a team to Philadelphia, new converse heat coming from
@T_Cloud4
, etc. All the tea is being spilled on Khristina’s Club House! Eyes

https://twitter.com/WomensHoopz/status/1369786342473883654

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/11/21 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Messeman just tweeted she has "NOT" made a decision yet.

https://twitter.com/EmmaMeesseman/status/1370038188362891264

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/11/21 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay Emma, Best Wishes To You, See You In DC After The Olympics

Per Emma:

Always amazing to see how media knows my decisions before I do myself. I have not decided anything yet for the upcoming WNBA season. One thing that I am sure is that if I will go, it’ll be only after the Olympics. Thank you.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/11/21 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder why Cloud would prematurely say that without knowing 100% if it was true..

PostPosted: 03/11/21 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Wonder why Cloud would prematurely say that without knowing 100% if it was true..

Or mayyyybe, Cloud said that knowing it may not have been true, so as to coax a definitive statement out of Meesseman. Twisted Evil

Still, if Meesseman from the beginning didn't feel comfortable making a decision until the conclusion of the Olympics, she should've told Thibault that straight-up, and he could've done what he needed to do in the meantime. I feel like she shouldn't be stringing Thibault along until damn near the very last minute to decide whether or not she's showing up – if that's indeed what's going on.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 03/11/21 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't believe Emma is stringing out Thibault, he knows Emma the best when it comes to the WNBA. It's the media, twitter and the message board squawkers who are doing the speculating.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/11/21 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cloud probably just said something that she believes will probably turn out to be true while having a chat on a livestream. I doubt it was particularly calculating. I take much greater issue with the people who decided that she was therefore a 'source', or that it was immediately 100% accurate information and started writing and tweeting about it as such.

I also don't blame Meesseman for anything she's said or done. It's basically always been "I might play, but even if I do it's unlikely to be until at least halfway through the season". That's been known information for ages, and Washington can do with that whatever they want to. Just because Thibault's the one who gets to put his point of view to WNBA journalists on a regular basis doesn't make him the one who's somehow always being wronged in these situations.

PostPosted: 03/11/21 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was just a half-baked theory; I don't actually think Cloud is calculated in that way.

And to be fair to Thibault, he has an entire team's worth of players to manage as both head coach & GM, and those other players probably go to him to question who they'll be playing alongside. Players like Meesseman can simply consider themselves.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 03/11/21 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like Mike T said he cant even afford her if she wanted to play the whole season. So i think it works well both sides if she comes after the olympics

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/11/21 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Like Mike T said he cant even afford her if she wanted to play the whole season. So i think it works well both sides if she comes after the olympics

They could still give her about 130k for the season if she changed her mind tomorrow. So not what she's worth, but she wouldn't exactly have to play for the minimum.

PostPosted: 03/12/21 3:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Latoya (Pringle) Sanders was actually one of my favorite players in college due to her lanky frame and ability to affect the game defensively and take advantage of offenses when given the opportunity. I remember at one point Pringle was the Parker stopper. She deserves just a little bit of fanfare because honestly as strange as her career was, it was so deserved for a player who put in the work.

She’s one of the reasons I value post players who play solid defense, are mobile, yet don’t necessarily score the most points. I agree with stokes with regards to career and I hope stokes continues putting in the work. Latoya went overseas and got better, came back became a consistent starter and WNBA champion.

Tamari Key I feel is in the same mold but with her size and the potential she’s beginning to show I think she will be a progression of the type of player Sanders was. Congrats on a great W career.

PostPosted: 03/12/21 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, I've always been a LaToya Pringle Sanders fan even from her college days. And I'm always happy when a player comes back from overseas to make a place in the league. Appreciate all she has brought to our game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: