Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/11/21 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Queenie wrote:
I think Chicago has an identity problem. Their youth is in the frontcourt (setting aside Dolson, because... yeah, you can get most of what she does from far cheaper and less heralded players), but they're committed to Vandersloot (which is not the worst thing in the world) and Vandersloot is committed to Quigley, which does seem to have forced them to prioritize an aging backcourt with a glaring defensive deficiency and what is either a shooting slump or a glaring offensive deficiency with Vandersloot.

Maybe building your team around a married couple isn't the best idea ... It's something that teams in the league are going to have to consider that no other league has to think about.

I'm not as 'down' on Chicago as some (like Stormeo).

At least in this case though, I really don't think Sloot or Quigley is the problem. But the offense/defense balance is clearly an issue. He's starting Copper and Deshields, presumably for defense, but then it hurts offensively, especially if none of them are hitting outside shots, and if the opponent can (more or less) defend the paint, since in addition to the posts, Copper and Deshields are trying to dive in there. In yesterday's game, the play off the bench was particularly uninspiring. Hebard, Ndour, and Stephens, all of whom showed really pretty well in some previous games, were suddenly non-existent. Why? It feels like there may be a chemistry issue happening.

I admit this is just pie in the sky and very unlikely to happen:
Not knowing where or if the chemistry issue exists makes it hard to guess on a solution. (Copper is a UFA next year...so) I would actually be inclined to move either Copper or Deshields, both of whom have a lot of value and depending on which one you think will be committed to staying with the team. Copper is an allstar so her value has obviously skyrocketed. Will that continue? Her numbers are similar to last year so perhaps they will? Hard to tell. and Diamond is hard to read. She can go into her pouting mode sometimes. Does she resent Copper making allstar? I would guess possibly. At any rate, it just seems like they are such similar players, and both very good, that you could get a pretty good deal in return for one of them and perhaps manage to better balance your lineup. If Copper is going to be a UFA maybe even try to make a move this year before the trade deadline. For instance, if EDD and Meeseman return, Washington may be in 'win now' mode. Trade her for Hines-Allen and next year's first round pick. Maybe get Wiese thrown in as well. (of course there is the little salary cap issue as well but looking at Richyyy's number it would probably work). Even if Washington greatly improves after the break, their pick would still probably be 6 - 8 at worst, or best, depending on which side you're on. That may not be enough for an allstar but if you think she's going to walk at the end of the season, it's better than zero.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/11/21 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Queenie wrote:
I think Chicago has an identity problem. Their youth is in the frontcourt (setting aside Dolson, because... yeah, you can get most of what she does from far cheaper and less heralded players), but they're committed to Vandersloot (which is not the worst thing in the world) and Vandersloot is committed to Quigley, which does seem to have forced them to prioritize an aging backcourt with a glaring defensive deficiency and what is either a shooting slump or a glaring offensive deficiency with Vandersloot.

Maybe building your team around a married couple isn't the best idea ... It's something that teams in the league are going to have to consider that no other league has to think about.

I mean, you could also take the Connecticut approach. Wink

(now with spelling variations)
Shades

PostPosted: 07/14/21 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/15/21 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Love this for CP and women's bball! I do wish they would've chosen a better action shot of her though Confused

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 07/15/21 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CP and Cambage seem real chummy. Any chance they play together in Chicago next season?

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/15/21 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
CP and Cambage seem real chummy. Any chance they play together in Chicago next season?

you can always hope.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/16/21 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:

you can always hope.

Nope. Her price tag is too high for all the drama that she brings.

PostPosted: 07/16/21 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. With all her iffy sh*t - Cambage is a good bb player. Plus, she only signed to the Aces for 1 year - and Dolson is crap.

It can happen.....but in the end

Last edited by Milks26 on 07/16/21 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
bbsamjj

PostPosted: 07/16/21 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Copper and DeShields are very close friends. In fact, the entire Sky roster has always seemed to be pretty chummy from my (non expert) eye.

But Copper will definitely be able to get paid this offseason if she chooses, and that might not be in Chicago (I could actually see her working in LA).

Shades

PostPosted: 07/16/21 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bbsamjj wrote:
I believe Copper and DeShields are very close friends. In fact, the entire Sky roster has always seemed to be pretty chummy from my (non expert) eye.

But Copper will definitely be able to get paid this offseason if she chooses, and that might not be in Chicago (I could actually see her working in LA).

We’ll see how the rest of the season goes, but based on performance, Copper stays and DeShields is out of there unless maybe both Vandersloot and Quigley are gone.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/21/21 6:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My NBA squad has just won their second championship after 50 years. So I will be a happy sports fan for the rest of 2021. So the Sky can do whatever they want to do. They can win, lose, or go skinny dipping in Lake Michigan. Nothing will erase the giant smile on my face.😁

PostPosted: 08/03/21 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candace Parker on Shaq, NBA 2k, Her New Podcast, and the “Bullshit” Politics of Team USA

https://www.gq.com/story/candace-parker-on-and-off-the-court

Quote:
I’m not teaching my daughter certain things, if she’s in a relationship or situation where something or someone doesn’t treat her right, how do I teach her to leave those things alone if I go back? I’m past it. It’s 2021. I’ve moved on.

PostPosted: 10/11/21 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Chicago, The Great Pretender! Pretending to be a championship quality team.💀

Fuck this team, man. They had every advantage coming into this last game before the Olympic break and still fuckin’ blew it in the end. This team has talent and experience at every position and still does not know how to win at a consistent level. I've wanted to see my hometown hero Slooty be on, not even the best team per se, but just a fucking good WNBA team. A team who as-is can actually win a title in this League. She has given so many years and so much commitment to this pathetic organization, as well as to one or two of her fellow Sky players who as it turns out didn't feel the same way, but has gotten so little to show for it. It makes it all the more ironic that her inability to hit shots consistently was a significant reason why the Sky lost and why I'm done rooting for them.

I don't really care that there's still 12 games left to go for this team, I’ve seen enough. I don't care who's there & who's not, who's injured & who's healthy, who's fault it is for losing any given game in terms of it being one specific player's or multiple players' or the coaches'. Slooty and all the other players who will be free agents at the end of the season need to sign somewhere else next February, because unless this team does some serious soul-searching between now & the end of the regular season (which, odds are, they won't), they’re not even gonna get to the semis, again. Every year for a hot minute now, something has stopped them – whether it be injury woes, poor chemistry, or just an unlucky shot (that really shouldn't have counted, hmm? But it did, and here we are). Put it all together, and maybe it all means that it's just not meant to be for this group. Who knows. It'll be tricky re-signing their priority players anyway, considering half this team will need new contracts with a couple of those coming off of minimum contracts. Perhaps this is the direction things are headed in anyway.

At this point, I honestly believe the Sky are better off committing to a full-on youth rebuild starting next year and getting as much young talent as they can. (Sorry CP3, who’s signed through 2022.) Clean house. Start fresh. And really, if they were to truly commit to it, they could likely go back to being good quicker than the likes of Indiana & Atlanta (at the rate those shitstains of organizations are moving – not that the Sky have been known for being much better over the years). It's just not happening with this coaching staff, and more importantly, these players.

Just remembered I wrote this rant some months ago (three months to the day apparently!) and wow do I love being wrong in so many places here. Very Happy It's like the team read this comment right before the playoffs started and said "F*ck this basement-dwelling troll of a Storm fan. (Which, after reading only this post of his, is he really?) Let's start actually achieving things just to spite his ass." Twisted Evil

They can still blow it here in the Finals, but f*ck if we haven't seen them do a complete 180 in the playoffs and actually play with some real chemistry & some real poise. After years (including this year up until a hair over two weeks ago, honestly) of watching them pretend to do something, it's been a real pleasure to see them possibly be achieving things now for a change. Keep going, Sky!! Run all the way to a title – don't let up! #NATC

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/11/21 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
Chicago, The Great Pretender! Pretending to be a championship quality team.💀

Fuck this team, man. They had every advantage coming into this last game before the Olympic break and still fuckin’ blew it in the end. This team has talent and experience at every position and still does not know how to win at a consistent level. I've wanted to see my hometown hero Slooty be on, not even the best team per se, but just a fucking good WNBA team. A team who as-is can actually win a title in this League. She has given so many years and so much commitment to this pathetic organization, as well as to one or two of her fellow Sky players who as it turns out didn't feel the same way, but has gotten so little to show for it. It makes it all the more ironic that her inability to hit shots consistently was a significant reason why the Sky lost and why I'm done rooting for them.

I don't really care that there's still 12 games left to go for this team, I’ve seen enough. I don't care who's there & who's not, who's injured & who's healthy, who's fault it is for losing any given game in terms of it being one specific player's or multiple players' or the coaches'. Slooty and all the other players who will be free agents at the end of the season need to sign somewhere else next February, because unless this team does some serious soul-searching between now & the end of the regular season (which, odds are, they won't), they’re not even gonna get to the semis, again. Every year for a hot minute now, something has stopped them – whether it be injury woes, poor chemistry, or just an unlucky shot (that really shouldn't have counted, hmm? But it did, and here we are). Put it all together, and maybe it all means that it's just not meant to be for this group. Who knows. It'll be tricky re-signing their priority players anyway, considering half this team will need new contracts with a couple of those coming off of minimum contracts. Perhaps this is the direction things are headed in anyway.

At this point, I honestly believe the Sky are better off committing to a full-on youth rebuild starting next year and getting as much young talent as they can. (Sorry CP3, who’s signed through 2022.) Clean house. Start fresh. And really, if they were to truly commit to it, they could likely go back to being good quicker than the likes of Indiana & Atlanta (at the rate those shitstains of organizations are moving – not that the Sky have been known for being much better over the years). It's just not happening with this coaching staff, and more importantly, these players.

Just remembered I wrote this rant some months ago (three months to the day apparently!) and wow do I love being wrong in so many places here. Very Happy It's like the team read this comment right before the playoffs started and said "F*ck this basement-dwelling troll of a Storm fan. (Which, after reading only this post of his, is he really?) Let's start actually achieving things just to spite his ass." Twisted Evil

They can still blow it here in the Finals, but f*ck if we haven't seen them do a complete 180 in the playoffs and actually play with some real chemistry & some real poise. After years (including this year up until a hair over two weeks ago, honestly) of watching them pretend to do something, it's been a real pleasure to see them possibly be achieving things now for a change. Keep going, Sky!! Run all the way to a title – don't let up! #NATC

Love the humility it takes to publicly roast yourself. Smile Twisted Evil Razz All I can say is, you only wrote what the rest of us were thinking. Embarassed

PostPosted: 10/11/21 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't remember what I posted last week, much less last month. But if I f*cked up, I can depend on Shades to remind me. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: