View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 05/13/21 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago Sky suspended the contract of Shyla Heal»Temporary

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/13/21 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:

In my opinion, watching Mack as much as I have, there is a reason she fell so far in the draft, and this move isn't surprising. She will most likely be given a chance by someone at some point this season, but I just don't see her sticking in the league unless she can make some big changes to her game

Since you diss her at every opportunity, I can only assume she must have kicked your cat sometime.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 05/13/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

In my opinion, watching Mack as much as I have, there is a reason she fell so far in the draft, and this move isn't surprising. She will most likely be given a chance by someone at some point this season, but I just don't see her sticking in the league unless she can make some big changes to her game

Since you diss her at every opportunity, I can only assume she must have kicked your cat sometime.

Myrtle, he’s being being analytical while you’re being emotional. I don’t even know how you got attached to Mack. I’ve made several Oklahoma State game threads that went empty.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/13/21 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

Myrtle, he’s being being analytical while you’re being emotional. I don’t even know how you got attached to Mack. I’ve made several Oklahoma State game threads that went empty.

pretty much every player in this draft needs to make changes to their games in order to stick in the league. It's fairly standard for a college player coming into the league. But he harps over and over only on Mack. I'm not particularly "emotional" about her but I do think she has a lot of talent and I've found her a fun player to watch. Guess we'll see if she can make it somewhere...this year or next. I hope she gets a nice gig overseas and improves as she needs to do.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/13/21 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

pretty much every player in this draft needs to make changes to their games in order to stick in the league. It's fairly standard for a college player coming into the league. But he harps over and over only on Mack. I'm not particularly "emotional" about her but I do think she has a lot of talent and I've found her a fun player to watch. Guess we'll see if she can make it somewhere...this year or next. I hope she gets a nice gig overseas and improves as she needs to do.

Maybe he - to quote you - “harps” on her due to his username. Which implies that they would watch a hell of a lot more OK State games than you and maybe they were being more realistic about her chances than this board ever was.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/13/21 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

Myrtle, you, uhh, do realize that you pile onto Kiki Herbert Harrigan every opportunity you get, right? Very Happy

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/13/21 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

Myrtle, you, uhh, do realize that you pile onto Kiki Herbert Harrigan every opportunity you get, right? Very Happy

you never know, she may have kicked my cat. Wink Actually I don't know much about Herbert Harrigan but didn't see anything last year that made me think "oh yes, this player definitely belongs in the league!" so it's been hard for me to see her as a great fit for Seattle like you Storm folks have been touting. And actually I think I'm harder on quite a few others. I kicked T.Young for a long time but finally started appreciating her in her old age. And I kinda think the same about J.Young who appears to me to be a younger version of T.Young. There are of course players I 'like' who aren't necessarily great players. And players who are really good that I don't nec. 'like', but I think that's true for all of us crazy fans, yeah? My problem in this instance, is that he never says ANYTHING positive and he pretty much never talks about any other player. But every time Mack's name comes up, it's exactly the same remarks. It's almost as though he's only here to jump on her. Maybe his daughter lost playing time to her. I dunno. If I don't like someone, at least I'm sometimes creative in expressing it. Laughing And I share the 'love' to lots of players - good, bad, or indifferent.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/13/21 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Gabby Williams did amazingly well playing point guard after having been a power forward since high school (don't know what she plays overseas). And I doubt she was even a point guard in high school. Sad to see her go and I think the Sky could have used her this year. Hope she stays at guard in the WNBA. Have to wonder if the Sky drafting a (tiny unproven) point guard in the first round made her concerned about her 2021 playing time.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/13/21 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I thought Gabby Williams did amazingly well playing point guard after having been a power forward since high school (don't know what she plays overseas). And I doubt she was even a point guard in high school. Sad to see her go and hope she stays at guard in the WNBA.

If Gabby can continue her progress towards hitting a reasonable percentage of 3's, then she can have a long career in this league. If percentages indicate she does not need to be guarded closely outside the arc then she won't get a contract beyond her current rookie salary. She's an asset to a team due to having ability to create for others from the wing, but she is not a PG in this league.

~rAf
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/14/21 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If I don't like someone, at least I'm sometimes creative in expressing it.

🙄 😳 🧐 🤨 🤔.............😓...........are you though? 🤭 😬 😜 🤣 🤪 😂 😅 🤠 😉

okstateguy

PostPosted: 05/14/21 3:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

I "diss" her because I got to watch a few of her high school games(plus highlights), have watched much of her JUCO footage, and watched all but maybe 2 of her games at OK State. In almost every single game against future WNBA level talent, she got shut down or was in foul trouble. Littell would then leave her in to pad her stats against the scrubs. She can't dribble with her left hand(and barely with her right). She misses a considerable amount of easy and open shots. She invites double teams with the amount of time she takes deciding her move. She only has one actual post move, that's ineffective against players of equal length and athleticism. She often gets pushed too far out by stronger posts, and becomes passive. Her midrange shot is a very slow release, and she is not a threat to take you off the dribble. A solid(if not vast) majority of her blocks came against severely undersized or overmatched teams. She has very real holes in her game that strongly suggest, with her desired very slowed down offensive pace, that she would not be able to win a spot in the league.

I've made consistent statements based solely on my extensive experience observing her game, and her consistent lack of dedication to improving the basic level fundamentals. She has all the potential in the world, but that still doesn't change the reality of her present. And that reality is her athleticism is finally being overshadowed by people who developed basketball skills beyond that athleticism. All that said, statistically, she is a Top 10 player in OK State history, and I enjoyed her contributions to the teams, and especially admired her leadership to the team this year. I hope she does get a chance to prove herself in the league, but I'm also objective enough to realize the strong chance it might not be this year, or maybe even next year, and potentially never without an expansion. I sincerely hope she proves me wrong.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a great point about athleticism -- it can only take you so far.

Sometimes, in fact most of the time, that reality hits home at the high school level, as a good athlete who's never worked at basketball suddenly is playing against kids four years older who are stronger, faster and more skilled.

Sometimes it hits in college, and in cases like Mack's, at the pro level.

Weaknesses are exposed every step up the ladder ...

PostPosted: 05/14/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:

In almost every single game against future WNBA level talent, she got shut down or was in foul trouble.

Just curious. Which future talent are you talking about? I saw her against Alabama (J.Walker), Baylor (N.Smith), Texas (C.Collier, and ISU (A. Joens). She had really good games in all of those. The Stanford game wasn't fabulous but certainly solid. She didn't have much support from teammates other than Asbury all season....certainly much less support than the bigs from Baylor, Texas, or Stanford. I do agree there are parts of her game to work on, but as I said before, that's pretty much true of at least 90% of the kids coming out of college. And btw: in the games mentioned above she had 23 blocks.

And I'm still waiting to hear anything positive about her from you other than somewhat grudgingly calling her 'athletic'. And I totally understand that athleticism alone can only take a kid so far - see K.Davis as an example.

It still seems totally weird to me that a fan of a team would have nothing good to say about the best player on their team, especially when that player had the honor of being drafted into the W, unless there is something personal going on. I can be 'realistic' about players on 'my' team, heck even 'my' conference, but I do respect and tout their good points too.

anyway, I will move on and leave you to it. Very Happy Enjoy.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 05/14/21 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
If I don't like someone, at least I'm sometimes creative in expressing it.

🙄 😳 🧐 🤨 🤔.............😓...........are you though? 🤭 😬 😜 🤣 🤪 😂 😅 🤠 😉

I enjoyed every single one of Myrtles digs at Tyoung. As a then lllloooonnngg suffering Sky fan, myrtle’s comments eased the ache of the frustration of tyoung biting at every single head fake.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 05/14/21 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

In almost every single game against future WNBA level talent, she got shut down or was in foul trouble.

Just curious. Which future talent are you talking about? I saw her against Alabama (J.Walker), Baylor (N.Smith), Texas (C.Collier, and ISU (A. Joens). She had really good games in all of those. The Stanford game wasn't fabulous but certainly solid. She didn't have much support from teammates other than Asbury all season....certainly much less support than the bigs from Baylor, Texas, or Stanford. I do agree there are parts of her game to work on, but as I said before, that's pretty much true of at least 90% of the kids coming out of college. And btw: in the games mentioned above she had 23 blocks.

And I'm still waiting to hear anything positive about her from you other than somewhat grudgingly calling her 'athletic'. And I totally understand that athleticism alone can only take a kid so far - see K.Davis as an example.

It still seems totally weird to me that a fan of a team would have nothing good to say about the best player on their team, especially when that player had the honor of being drafted into the W, unless there is something personal going on. I can be 'realistic' about players on 'my' team, heck even 'my' conference, but I do respect and tout their good points too.

anyway, I will move on and leave you to it. Very Happy Enjoy.

If you saw her against Alabama, you would know that Walker outplayed her. If you saw her against Baylor, you would know that Smith guarded her one on one and owned her, and that most of her stats were earned late in the 3rd and 4th, when Gusters and Bickle moved into the lineup. If you have gathered much from all my comments, you would figure out I don't think much of Collier as a WNBA player, and see her more as a Chantel Anderson type, maybe Mercedes Russell. If you saw her against Iowa State, you would realize that Iowa State was a bunch of guards with a couple of unathletic power forwards, not exactly a threat to match up strongly against her size and athleticism. And how many of those 23 blocks were against the oompa loompas of Iowa State?(also understanding that I think her owning of Charli Collier doesn't speak the best about Collier)

Against Stanford, it was once again highlighted, where her strengths were overwhelmed by more skilled players. She also struggled at times against WVU because of physicality, and struggled hard to open the season against very inferior talent.

No one is insulting her. No one is rooting for her to fail. No one here has a personal grudge against her. But you would think when you are given context of her going from a potential lottery pick to a mid-second rounder after the year she had, and multiple people all in agreement that she is underdeveloped fundamentally, and the person who watched her for far longer and far more than you is saying she is underdeveloped as a basketball player and relied on her ultra-athleticism and huge wingspan in a league of oompa loompas, that you could understand that maybe most people have a consensus(from GM's to hardcore fans to casual observers) that maybe she has enormous physical gifts that can no longer mask her lack of development(ala Courtney Paris and her massive frame).

As to my OSU fandom, I don't have to put on rose-colored glasses to be a fan. The reason I loved this year's team so much is they were so flawed, yet they were scrappy and hustled and found ways to win, even if it was ugly. Mack and her flaws were a big part of that. But the fact that OSU only truly struggled against Texas when Mack was out of the game, should tell you that the team was much more than Mack despite what the statistics say. I truly hope someone works with her on her jumper, runs her through ball handling drills, teaches her a couple more post moves, help her gain mass in a way that highlights her strengths, and most importantly gives her an opportunity. Will it surprise me if those opportunities aren't given much time this year? Not at all. Will I be happy if it all clicks overnight and she becomes a Brianna Turner type player in the league? I'll be the first in line to buy a jersey.

Also, you can see my comment made after my initial comment here on the New York Liberty feed, where I specifically say that the Liberty would be a great place for her to land, because of her potential strength in the pick and roll with someone like Ionescu, and she would gain more playing time than she probably deserves, so the chance to improve in real time. But, I'm just gonna repeat myself from here on out, so it's just going to have to be an agree to disagree and get this thread back to talking about the players who made the roster.

PostPosted: 05/15/21 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I thought Gabby Williams did amazingly well playing point guard after having been a power forward since high school (don't know what she plays overseas). And I doubt she was even a point guard in high school. Sad to see her go and I think the Sky could have used her this year. Hope she stays at guard in the WNBA. Have to wonder if the Sky drafting a (tiny unproven) point guard in the first round made her concerned about her 2021 playing time.

Or, it may be a personal reason as to why she wanted out of Chicago. Us fans may never really know. Since day one per the media, coaches were very high on her potential and ability. This leads me to believe that there are personal reasons why she wanted out of Chicago.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/17/21 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson temporarily suspended. Mack signed as a Hardship player.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Great news for Mack. Hoping she gets some minutes and excels in them.

I'm wondering what happens on here if the Sky don't win more of these games than not while Dolson's gone. Very Happy Their upcoming schedule seems to be fairly easy overall: @ATL, vsNYL, vsATL, vsLAS x2, and then a home-and-away with Phoenix to start off June. Shouldn't need Dolson to win most of those games if she's as much of a liability as people say she is...

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/17/21 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“Return of the Mack”..

PostPosted: 05/17/21 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
“Return of the Mack”..

That was my mom's favorite song after my parents separated, and I laugh every time I see it.

PostPosted: 05/17/21 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
“Return of the Mack”..

That was my mom's favorite song after my parents separated, and I laugh every time I see it.

They got good taste. Wink

PostPosted: 05/17/21 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
“Return of the Mack”..

Goldie or Natasha?

PostPosted: 05/17/21 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what's up with Dolson?

Shades

PostPosted: 05/17/21 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
what's up with Dolson?

Preparation for 3x3 qualifying tournament.

Plum should be leaving at the same time. Laimbeer said Plum is gonna miss about 6 games. Slocum should be able to get some play then.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/17/21 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

So if Dolson (or Plum, Gray, KLS etc) gets injured in 3x3 and it out for the rest of the season do they still collect their WNBA pay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 15 of 20

Jump to: