View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milks26

PostPosted: 04/20/21 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexie Brown has signed with the Chicago Sky

Good pick up for them.

https://twitter.com/nemchocke/status/1384363772408631296

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/20/21 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, wonky salary cap question for Richyyy. Brown would have made $70,040 under the one-time 4th-year bump up to veteran minimum. However, by signing as a free agent, does Lexie get pushed back down to the non-veteran minimum of $58,710?

PostPosted: 04/20/21 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After wavering for a bit I think both Heal and Brown will make the roster and one of Dolson, Ndour, or Mack will be waived.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 7:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
After wavering for a bit I think both Heal and Brown will make the roster and one of Dolson, Ndour, or Mack will be waived.

Unfortunately, Dolson's salary is guaranteed. I wish they could dump her. I have been banging that drum šŸ„ for months.

Last edited by Rock Hard on 04/20/21 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/20/21 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
OK, wonky salary cap question for Richyyy. Brown would have made $70,040 under the one-time 4th-year bump up to veteran minimum. However, by signing as a free agent, does Lexie get pushed back down to the non-veteran minimum of $58,710?

If she has 3+ years of WNBA experience then any team will have to give her the vet minimum. $70,040

PostPosted: 04/20/21 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Unfortunately, Dolson's salary is guaranteed. I wish they could dump her. I have been banging that drum šŸ„ for months.

Dolson might suprise some people this season. She has lost a lot of weight and looks to be in the best shape that she has ever been. She has a lot to prove this year and i think she will

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clichļæ½s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." ļæ½Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/20/21 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
root_thing wrote:

If she has 3+ years of WNBA experience then any team will have to give her the vet minimum. $70,040

Beat me to it, and absolutely correct. The reason she was adusted up to 70,040 is because that's the minimum for a player with her Years of Service, and that minimum still applies after she cleared waivers.

The difference, and likely the reason no one just claimed her, is that the 70,040 that was an adjusted year on her rookie-scale contract would've counted on the cap immediately. Signing a one-year deal for the exact same amount after clearing waivers counts as a Training Camp Contract and therefore only begins to count on the cap on opening day of the regular season, if she makes the team.

The numbers, as with Mack, make it currently look unlikely that Brown will make the team.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The difference, and likely the reason no one just claimed her, is that the 70,040 that was an adjusted year on her rookie-scale contract would've counted on the cap immediately. Signing a one-year deal for the exact same amount after clearing waivers counts as a Training Camp Contract and therefore only begins to count on the cap on opening day of the regular season, if she makes the team.

The numbers, as with Mack, make it currently look unlikely that Brown will make the team.

Thanks, that really was the subtext of my question. I was wondering if by letting Brown go through waivers, a team could get her at the lower salary. Since the answer is "no," that puts Brown in the same unlikely situation as Brittany Boyd.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Beat me to it, and absolutely correct. The reason she was adusted up to 70,040 is because that's the minimum for a player with her Years of Service, and that minimum still applies after she cleared waivers.

With Vandersloot/Quigley being late arrivals, does that shake up anything?

PostPosted: 04/20/21 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Not from a salary cap point of view because their full contract amounts will still hit the cap even though theyā€™re not getting paid. However, if the last cut comes down to keeping a guard or a post, Wade is more likely to keep a guard if Sloot/Quig are absent.

Last edited by root_thing on 04/20/21 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/20/21 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Nope. They would only be temporarily suspended, so the cap situation would be the same. And Russia finishes early enough that they'll only miss a bit of camp anyway.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks to you both, root_thing and Richyyy.

I have no idea whatā€™s going on then.. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/20/21 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A full-season suspension of another player's contract is also possible.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/20/21 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Thanks!šŸ¤“

PostPosted: 04/20/21 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/20/21 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

Yeah, certainly possible with both Ndour and Gabby Williams (although Ndour signing at all wouldn't make much sense unless she planned on showing up). Both have both EuroBasket Women and the Olympics this year. Mack replacing Williams would leave them post heavy, of course, so maybe that'd be more of a window for Brown.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Dallas making a trade for Williams? If they're still window shopping that is

Shades

PostPosted: 04/24/21 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky second-round pick Natasha Mack is ready to attack
https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-sky-and-wnba/2021/4/24/22391880/sky-second-round-pick-natasha-mack-is-ready-attack-wnba-oklahoma-wade

Quote:
When she heard her name called by the Sky with the No. 16 overall pick, she was relieved but surprised. Mack had no conversations with the Sky ahead of the draft. She spoke with the Seattle Storm, New York Liberty and Atlanta Dream.

What are those boys from Brooklyn doing? Sheā€™s not Natasha Howard. She just has the same first name and vaguely has the same body type. She donā€™t have the mobility. She donā€™t have the three point shot. Remember your undying pledge to that 5-out system.

They seem to be in a name rut. They have two Jasmineā€™s and a Jazmine, two Asiaā€™s, two Baileyā€™s, used to have two or three versions of Kiah, and then they thought about having two Natashaā€™s. Come on, man. Get out of that rut.

Quote:
Wadeā€™s expectations for Mack start with defense. He told her thatā€™s where he needs her to make a significant impact.

Sounds like heā€™s expecting her to actually make the team. Howā€™s he going to do that? Tell us, Wade. Either they carry six mostly post players or cut a decent post player. He dumped Mavunga (who he paid two draft picks for. Thatā€™s why Catchings had so many) to sign Ndour. Now if he dumps Ndour in favor of Mack, that would be kinda embarrassing, wouldnā€™t it?

Quote:
ā€œThereā€™s always a place for players like that in the league,ā€ Wade said.

Oh, Mack belongs in the league but not necessarily your team. šŸ¤”
Maybe talk her up and see if you can get a draft pick for her?

Quote:
ā€œI donā€™t talk much,ā€ Mack said. ā€œI show my game through my actions.ā€

Not a good strategy. You got to talk too. Thereā€™s politics in everything.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/24/21 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is also how one could look at their theoretical opening-day roster and include Mack:

Pure 1: Sloot
1/2: Heal
Pure 2: Quigley
2/3: DeShields, Copper
3/4/5: Parker
4/5: Stevens, Ndour, Hebard, Mack
Pure 5: Dolson

Yes, imo Parker is talented enough to play any of the frontcourt positions, including some SF if absolutely necessary (she can already run the offense from the perimeter). Her positional flexibility on offense should make a big difference for this team, maybe even more so than it did in LA. If any of the 5 true perimeter players listed above show up injured or get injured (or in Heal's case, isn't very good), then someone like Mack is screwed. But Sloot, Quigley, and Copper all kept themselves healthy last season ā€“ no reason to think they can't do it again this season. Seems like DeShields has returned to form, too. Unless one of those players gets injured for a semi-extended period of time, that's when they should cut an out-of-the-rotation post player and pick up a guard imo. Otherwise, an extra guard would just sit on the bench virtually the whole season.

Meanwhile, you never really know with the Sky's post unit; there always seems to be a post player on this team that is unable to play for one reason or another. As it stands, it's not 100% certain if injury-prone Stevens will be ready to play by the start of this season. Dolson has generally been durable throughout her career but wasn't at all last year. Ndour as we know will be absent for a stretch of games or two. And is Candace Parker at that point in her career where she'll take a game off here & there for rest? Not to speculate too much, but maybe it's something Wade promised her when trying to sign her away from LA. Anyway, it would genuinely make sense if the Sky were to at least start out the season with more true post players than perimeter players, as laid out above.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/24/21 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised by that squad either, but they would have to do something with Williams to enable it. Maybe it's as simple as not suspending her yet in case someone wants to trade for her instead, but they don't seem to want to address the issue in general.

PostPosted: 04/24/21 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexi Brown is also a bit of backup security in case Heal doesn't work out. Though I guess if Heal isn't ready, but they want to keep her for the future then that takes up another spot that might mean the end for Mack.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/24/21 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Lexi Brown is also a bit of backup security in case Heal doesn't work out. Though I guess if Heal isn't ready, but they want to keep her for the future then that takes up another spot that might mean the end for Mack.

That's where the struggle with the foreign teens gets real. If they come to camp and aren't ready to go, you either have to waive them or swallow their salary and spot on the roster until they are. I expect both Heal and Rupert will make rosters if they show up, but I'm not sure how much time either of them would get.

PostPosted: 04/24/21 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rupert's in that same French squad that Gabby Williams (and Johannes, and Fauthoux) is in. I doubt we're going to see her this year.

That said, she'd immediately be at least as useful as Emma Cannon or whoever else is going to make that 11th spot on Vegas's roster.

PostPosted: 04/24/21 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised by that squad either, but they would have to do something with Williams to enable it. Maybe it's as simple as not suspending her yet in case someone wants to trade for her instead, but they don't seem to want to address the issue in general.

The league needs some sort of DLeague summer program where teams can keep maybe 2 players and pay them a sum of like 30-45k for the summer months to participate on 2 teams.

2 players from 12 teams = 24 players.
Player development
Sideline reporting for their teams
Writing articles for their respective teams
A few games per season against the 2 teams(include them in all star weekend as a scrimmage)
Use the two teams to scrimmage/practice against actual teams.

Just a thought. That way teams can keep players around for 2 years or so to see how they develop without them counting against their roster count or salary cap.

Also.. itā€™s tequila night so.. my mind is on process improvement and out of the box ideas lol

PostPosted: 04/24/21 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm also not sure but what Mack would beat out Hebard if it comes down to either or... I think she's demonstrably better defensively, so if that's what Wade is looking for...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 12 of 20

Jump to: