RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 07/07/21 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams, Williams and Hayes are all free agents at the end of the year let them walk

Bring back Angel and sign Fowls

Sims, Carter, Mccougtry, Parker and Fowles decent starting 5
you also still have Billings Hawkins McDonald and a likely lottery pick add a couple shooters could work
Not sure if I am joking

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/07/21 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Not sure if I am joking

yep, you are. Don't think either Fowles or Angel will be on this team.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/07/21 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
If Atlanta winds up needing to trade Carter, what could they possibly get for her? She’s a point guard in height without the consistent inclination. Who’s going to want to risk upending their team for that? Especially when most teams have fairly stable guard situations. From a talent standpoint she’d help CT, but they’re a slow-paced defense-oriented top-4 team.

I’m not seeing a fit anywhere.

You don't find many guards who walk into the WNBA and average 17ppg on 47%/38% while largely creating those shots themselves. At 21 years of age. There'd be a huge amount of interest from a variety of teams if it wasn't for the baggage.

It wasn’t for the baggage, she’d be even better on the court as well as off of it. Without the baggage and with a willingness to work on being a facilitator of team success, she’d be a superstar. A 5’7” player, even one as talented as Carter, generally needs to show PG inclination consistently or the willingness to fit in as an instant offense/energy player and to know her role. She has the talent to be a top flight PG. But will she ever have the inclination?

That player also needs to be something of a leader…an example for others to follow. A few teams might want her. But I doubt it’d be many. Teams are reading that it’s being reported that she’s wanted to fight teammates multiple times and that she’s sulking over playing time. That alone will eliminate many suitors.

The ones that are left certainly aren’t going to pay whatever her talent value is.

It also sounds a lot like you're describing Cappie Pondexter, who was a very successful combo guard in this league for about a decade.

PostPosted: 07/07/21 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
If Atlanta winds up needing to trade Carter, what could they possibly get for her? She’s a point guard in height without the consistent inclination. Who’s going to want to risk upending their team for that? Especially when most teams have fairly stable guard situations. From a talent standpoint she’d help CT, but they’re a slow-paced defense-oriented top-4 team.

You don't find many guards who walk into the WNBA and average 17ppg on 47%/38% while largely creating those shots themselves. At 21 years of age. There'd be a huge amount of interest from a variety of teams if it wasn't for the baggage.

It wasn’t for the baggage, she’d be even better on the court as well as off of it. Without the baggage and with a willingness to work on being a facilitator of team success, she’d be a superstar. A 5’7” player, even one as talented as Carter, generally needs to show PG inclination consistently or the willingness to fit in as an instant offense/energy player and to know her role. She has the talent to be a top flight PG. But will she ever have the inclination?

That player also needs to be something of a leader…an example for others to follow. A few teams might want her. But I doubt it’d be many. Teams are reading that it’s being reported that she’s wanted to fight teammates multiple times and that she’s sulking over playing time. That alone will eliminate many suitors.

The ones that are left certainly aren’t going to pay whatever her talent value is.

It also sounds a lot like you're describing Cappie Pondexter, who was a very successful combo guard in this league for about a decade.

Talent-wise there are definitely comparisons. But Cappie to my knowledge was never suspended for any incidents related to conflicts with teammates and she averaged 4+ assists for either seven or eight straight seasons. Cappie was also probably partially responsible for Leilani Mitchell’s three point performance in 2010. Cappie and Tina butted heads but Tanisha Wright butted heads with Tina too. Carter has already been suspended both at Texas A and M and Atlanta for violations of team rules/conduct detrimental to the team. Cappie demonstrated that she enhanced the performance of certain teammates. Can Carter do the same? Maybe. But the jury is certainly out on that one.

If you’re Atlanta, do you want to trade Carter for well less than her value? Are you getting her talent value in a trade right now? My argument would be that you’d try to work it out and hope for the best. I don’t know if it can work or not. But there’s clearly a documented history for Carter as well as at least one Atlanta player tweeting team support for Courtney Williams.

It’s hard to imagine another team taking a risk for anything well less than talent value. And if you’re Atlanta is that your choice or do you hope you can figure out a way to make it work?

PostPosted: 07/07/21 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The situation in Atlanta most likely won't resolve itself without personnel changes, but I think that the Dream should keep Carter and blow up the team. This is a team that was 4-2 before Carter went down with an injury and then went 1-5 without her. Williams, Williams and Hayes seem to want respect as the veterans, but without the kid the team was bad. And their salary construction gives them very little opportunity to improve if they keep that core.

This team has so many problems with their lack of any basketball acumen in the front office, a coach with no credentials and even questions about where they might play next season. The ghost of Kelly Loeffler still haunts the Dream. I would rather go forward with Carter and a blank slate than a core that seemingly allows very little cap space for improvement going forward. It is certainly a risk but I believe there is a better chance of success 3 years down the road if they keep their most talented player. Only Hayes can rival her but at 32 it is hard to rebuild around her.

All of this. There is no one on Atlanta that could convince me Carter needs to be traded in the first place. Courtney Williams doesn't want her there? So what. Courtney Williams is the same incredibly inefficient scorer she has always been, but no longer has Jonquel Jones and a great defense to bail her out.

I'll take my chances with Carter. Cappie is an apt comparison, physically and in style of play. Carter is not just a scorer either, and actually has the higher career assist percentage.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/08/21 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:

Given what happened with Pondexter last year (was it last year? maybe it was 2019? what even is time) I'm not sure that's really the best outcome.

(now with spelling variations)
Tally24

PostPosted: 07/08/21 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:

I’m all second chances, clearly Carter needs to go to a team where the vets are established and respected, cuz clearly she didn’t respect the “vers” in Atl.

that makes me think of Phoenix. She would definitely be kept in place by those three. And they could use another dynamic guard. But what would they have to give up and what about that salary cap thingie that Richyyy knows all about?

Carter for Nurse. And I will send Atlanta a muffin basket. I do not know anything about the salary cap or contracts.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/14/21 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cheyenne's Preggo , the Soap continues But Congrats either way Smile

https://twitter.com/spencernusbaum_/status/1415339496061784071?s=20

PostPosted: 07/14/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is quite the season for Atlanta. Cheyenne Parker will miss the rest of the season due to pregnancy. She just announced it today

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/cheyenne-parker-wnba-basketball-atlanta

I will say this, mad props to her for how she laid it out. Plus, she takes on the COVID situation as well in a very mature fashion. She also brings up the CBA and its protections and stipulations for maternity.

All the best to her, her BF, and the baby!

Last edited by BamaEd on 07/14/21 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
BamaEd

PostPosted: 07/14/21 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

You posted yours while I was writing mine it seems. JINX! Very Happy

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/14/21 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

You posted yours while I was writing mine it seems. JINX! Very Happy

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

PostPosted: 07/14/21 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for her. Here's hoping she can come back stronger.

PostPosted: 07/14/21 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before this, Atlanta had 11. Tiffany hurt brought them to 10. Carter suspended put them at 9. Parker out puts them at 8.

At least Atlanta has time to have Tiffany heal up and hopefully be back right after the Olympic break. Would they start Bradford at the 4? Hawkins? I like Billings off the bench because of the energy she brings.

Will there be any signings? So much going on right now.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/14/21 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/gotta-get-a-few-things-off-my-chest-01fajab8qesv/

Quote:
And to the skeptics: Man.... doubt me at your own damn risk. I’m coming back stronger than ever. I’m coming back faster than ever. I’m coming back better than ever. It’s like my mom said to me the other day, “Cheyenne, I was reading some articles — and they’re saying that athletes can still ‘tear it up’ after being pregnant!” Yeah, Mom. They’re saying that.
Listen to my mother.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 07/24/21 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/ForTheDoubleU/status/1419014296185495555

Quote:
Sources say Mike Petersen has stepped down as Interim Head Coach for the Atlanta Dream. He will not return after the Olympic break. Assistant Coach Darius Taylor most likely will finish out the season as Interim Head Coach.

PostPosted: 07/24/21 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/ForTheDoubleU/status/1419014296185495555

Quote:
Sources say Mike Petersen has stepped down as Interim Head Coach for the Atlanta Dream. He will not return after the Olympic break. Assistant Coach Darius Taylor most likely will finish out the season as Interim Head Coach.

Niice to see Taylor get a chance, though not very good circumstances....

BTW - is this the first time two coaches have quit the same team in one season?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/24/21 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Everyone has to start somewhere, but that's a random twitter account I've never heard of with only 25 followers. No one else reporting it yet. So would kinda like to hear it from a more established source before assuming it's accurate.

PostPosted: 07/24/21 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Everyone has to start somewhere, but that's a random twitter account I've never heard of with only 25 followers. No one else reporting it yet. So would kinda like to hear it from a more established source before assuming it's accurate.

Don't be ridiculous. If it's on the internet it must be true.

EDITED TO ADD: I found another source, albeit one with a notorious track record for inaccuracy

https://dream.wnba.com/news/mike-petersen-steps-down-from-atlanta-dream-head-coaching-role/

PostPosted: 07/24/21 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/itsBTerrell/status/1419083886479478789

https://twitter.com/itsBTerrell/status/1419084225135923206

TigerVol

PostPosted: 07/24/21 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream put out a tweet with quotes.

Steeping down for health reasons.

I can't knock the man. He never wanted to be a head coach period so stepping into this mess was more selfless than not IMO.

Hope Darius does well.

PostPosted: 07/24/21 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, confirmed by the Dream: https://dream.wnba.com/news/mike-petersen-steps-down-from-atlanta-dream-head-coaching-role/

Credit to the account with 25 followers (not that anyone else is giving it to them when reporting this on twitter or elsewhere).

PostPosted: 07/24/21 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“For health reasons that the grind of the WNBA season will not allow me to adequately address, I have decided to step down from my coaching duties with the Dream,” Petersen said.

This is very similar to what Hughes said in his very early season retirement (sans the health aspect), and this one seems even more suspect. You’re in the start of your month long break, and it’s too much of a grind? Would it be less of a grind reverting back to an assistant? No, gotta go? Seems like somebody wanted him to go and this was a graceful excuse. There’s a lot of difficult personalities on that team and maybe it was too much for him, or maybe he had to go for Carter to come back. These are all just theories, so don’t go nuts.

There was never any indication in the press conferences I saw that he was close to giving up on the season.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 07/24/21 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At higher level positions it seems like they normally give the person a chance to resign if they want them gone. He may not have actually wanted to quit.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/24/21 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Peterson's departure affect the Chennedy Carter mess?

Randy

PostPosted: 07/24/21 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
At higher level positions it seems like they normally give the person a chance to resign if they want them gone. He may not have actually wanted to quit.

Do they really think that another coach could turn the team around in the 12 remaining games? I doubt anyone could do that with a team lacking any scoring threat among its post players, and guards that can't get along with each other (or anyone else for that matter). Makes no sense unless this is an audition for Taylor to get the HC job next season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: