RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/07/21 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
For sure. I'm just pushing back against the idea that Carter is so toxic (or something) that no team would want her.

Yeah I'm with you. If they want to give up Carter for the #9 and literally anyone (or two, or three) on the roster not named K.Mitchell or McCowan, I bite their hands off. The possibility of things working out with Carter is way more than what they have with that pick and the current group.

PostPosted: 07/07/21 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chennedy Carter's latest tweet:

Quote:
game gone speak

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/07/21 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Quote:
game gone speak

so do you think she meant gonna instead of gone...
or does it mean 'since I won't be there, the game will speak for itself' (as in, 'they will suck without me')

...as is, it's totally not clear what she means.

Last edited by myrtle on 07/07/21 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/07/21 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Quote:
There's a loooooot of misinformation out here. We've got your back @CourtMWilliams

https://twitter.com/e_williams_1/status/1412843430833709059?s=21

Quote:
RT @E_Williams_1: There's a loooooot of misinformation out here. We've got your back @CourtMWilliams <— and do!

https://twitter.com/tiphayes3/status/1412847039843647490?s=21

this is not particularly helpful for team reconciliation. sounds like they are just as happy to have her gone. I'm getting dizzy.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/07/21 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Quote:
game gone speak

or does it mean 'since I won't be there, the game will speak for itself' (as in, 'they will suck without me')

Her game is gonna speak for itself.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/07/21 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Quote:
game gone speak

Tell me that you're utterly unfamiliar with AAVE, without telling me that you're utterly unfamiliar with AAVE.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 07/07/21 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAVE is a decentralised non-custodial liquidity market protocol where users can participate as depositors or borrowers. Depositors provide liquidity to the market to earn a passive income, while borrowers are able to borrow in an overcollateralised (perpetually) or undercollateralised (one-block liquidity) fashion.

Or something like that...

PostPosted: 07/07/21 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
myrtle wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Quote:
game gone speak

Tell me that you're utterly unfamiliar with AAVE, without telling me that you're utterly unfamiliar with AAVE.

I'm an old lady. AAVE is way too young for me.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/07/21 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Quote:
game gone speak

that's what I assumed. But I prefer English that is English - then old folks like me won't misinterpret what is said.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/07/21 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In general, I agree that Indiana should get Carter ... but it isn't necessarily a good idea to throw a problem player into a struggling, rebuilding operation. A lot of success in any business is based on culture, and catering to/dealing with a difficult personality can really slow down that process.

Now if you can see a Carter/Mitchell/McCowan trio as the basis for title contention, and both Mitchell and McCowan are willing to work with Carter -- and they may not be, because players know about these issues in ways we don't -- then it's definitely worth a roll of the dice.

But if Indiana is thinking that they want to start with creating a culture (emphasizing defense, say, or accountability or sharing the ball), then Carter is a good get only if she fits the plan.

Then again, maybe you build around Carter, but is she really that good? She's very very good, but is she going to lead you to glory with just complementary players around her?

Again, I think I would roll the dice if I were Indiana, but I don't think it's an automatic "yes." I've seen -- and coached on -- teams that had talent but bad chemistry, and not only don't you win, it's a pretty miserable experience.

PostPosted: 07/07/21 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Then again, maybe you build around Carter, but is she really that good? She's very very good, but is she going to lead you to glory with just complementary players around her?

game gone speak.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/07/21 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Quote:
game gone speak

Not exactly a commitment to being a team player, is it?

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/07/21 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would also say that her tweet that her game is going to speak for itself may be part of the problem and something she can't understand. It seems very me, me, me - like hello, CC remember basketball is a team game. That means you need to work with teammates, no matter how much better than them you think you are.

I'm more and more inclined to think it would be better to move her than to have the core of the team unhappy. But if I'm Atlanta, I wouldn't take 'junk' for her. How about Dallas? The Wings desperately need a PG. Maybe trade for Thornton or for their next year's pick. It looks like they will already have several top picks so maybe give up one of them for a star who grew up and played in Texas. I'm not sure VJ is the right coach for her though. Gary Blair pretty much just handed her the ball and let her do what she wanted in college.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/07/21 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

C Williams retweeting Tip Hayes retweeting E Williams tweet Laughing Laughing

Not a question of if, but now when will Carter be released or traded and to where.

I’m all second chances, clearly Carter needs to go to a team where the vets are established and respected, cuz clearly she didn’t respect the “vers” in Atl.

Oh and Pilight Laughing Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/07/21 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

I’m all second chances, clearly Carter needs to go to a team where the vets are established and respected, cuz clearly she didn’t respect the “vers” in Atl.

that makes me think of Phoenix. She would definitely be kept in place by those three. And they could use another dynamic guard. But what would they have to give up and what about that salary cap thingie that Richyyy knows all about?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/07/21 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Quote:
game gone speak

that's what I assumed. But I prefer English that is English - then old folks like me won't misinterpret what is said.

👍👍👏

PostPosted: 07/07/21 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by Randy on 07/07/21 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 07/07/21 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/TheNextHoops/status/1412876899420983298

Spencer Nesbaum's article gives a lot more details.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/07/21 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PHX is a terrible idea. Unless she’s suddenly matured, Diggins hates playing with young guns that might threaten her position. Remember Dallas? She couldn’t play with Sims. Then later when Dallas traded for Jefferson and drafted Ogunbowale, she “didn’t understand the direction they were headed” and asked out.

Last edited by Shades on 10/08/21 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
BamaEd

PostPosted: 07/07/21 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
myrtle wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Quote:
game gone speak

At this moment, I feel like Barbara Billingsley in Airplane. Oh stewardess, I speak AAVE

Game gone speak means her game will do the talking for her. Her game is going to speak.

Also, from earlier, cap=lying. No cap=no lie.

People have always used slang, vernacular, abbreviations, etc. and people will continue to do so. There is absolutely no shame in asking if you don't understand Smile

Milks26

PostPosted: 07/07/21 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No keep in Atl. They drafted her - deal with her. Nothing about this situation should be a shocking to them. Her attitude with teammates has been out there for years.

Last edited by Milks26 on 07/07/21 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 07/07/21 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just don’t want Atlanta to turn into another Indiana (perhaps it’s too late Confused ). This League needs a functioning team in the southeastern part of the country, period. It can’t afford to have yet another one of its few franchises go nowhere for 5+ years.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/07/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The situation in Atlanta most likely won't resolve itself without personnel changes, but I think that the Dream should keep Carter and blow up the team. This is a team that was 4-2 before Carter went down with an injury and then went 1-5 without her. Williams, Williams and Hayes seem to want respect as the veterans, but without the kid the team was bad. And their salary construction gives them very little opportunity to improve if they keep that core.

This team has so many problems with their lack of any basketball acumen in the front office, a coach with no credentials and even questions about where they might play next season. The ghost of Kelly Loeffler still haunts the Dream. I would rather go forward with Carter and a blank slate than a core that seemingly allows very little cap space for improvement going forward. It is certainly a risk but I believe there is a better chance of success 3 years down the road if they keep their most talented player. Only Hayes can rival her but at 32 it is hard to rebuild around her.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/07/21 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“It’s not ideal, everybody knows that,” Petersen said of Carter’s suspension. “The nine we have will go play. We’ll be able to sort out some stuff over the break. I don’t know if it is a distraction or not.”

“Each individual player is in charge of themselves,” Petersen said when asked about maintaining team chemistry. “This is professional basketball. If you need a pep talk everyday to come to practice, it’s probably a hard profession. I’ll count on our players being adults and being ready to play.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/dream-have-options-when-handling-chennedy-carters-suspension/WHPRS7RVUZAXFFRLWM2NFXFE4E/

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 07/07/21 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
If Atlanta winds up needing to trade Carter, what could they possibly get for her? She’s a point guard in height without the consistent inclination. Who’s going to want to risk upending their team for that? Especially when most teams have fairly stable guard situations. From a talent standpoint she’d help CT, but they’re a slow-paced defense-oriented top-4 team.

I’m not seeing a fit anywhere.

You don't find many guards who walk into the WNBA and average 17ppg on 47%/38% while largely creating those shots themselves. At 21 years of age. There'd be a huge amount of interest from a variety of teams if it wasn't for the baggage.

It wasn’t for the baggage, she’d be even better on the court as well as off of it. Without the baggage and with a willingness to work on being a facilitator of team success, she’d be a superstar. A 5’7” player, even one as talented as Carter, generally needs to show PG inclination consistently or the willingness to fit in as an instant offense/energy player and to know her role. She has the talent to be a top flight PG. But will she ever have the inclination?

That player also needs to be something of a leader…an example for others to follow. A few teams might want her. But I doubt it’d be many. Teams are reading that it’s being reported that she’s wanted to fight teammates multiple times and that she’s sulking over playing time. That alone will eliminate many suitors.

The ones that are left certainly aren’t going to pay whatever her talent value is.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23

Jump to: