PostPosted: 09/13/20 8:58 pm    ::: Atlanta Dream 2021 Reply Reply with quote

Carter/(Dietrick vs Cazorla)
Hayes/CWilliams
Laney/Stricklen
Billings/
EWilliams/KBrown

Signed for 2021

Need contracts
Montgomery UFA (I predict they won’t re-sign her and she’ll retire to broadcasting)
GJohnson UFA

On the bubble
Agnew (reserved)
Brewer (rookie contract)
Davis

I’m not sure if Laney is signed next year or not. If ATL assumed her IND contract, she should be.

Having CWilliams come off the bench doesn’t seem likely since this team isn’t coached by Laimbeer. Possibly put Laney at the 4?🤔

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/13/20 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tiffany Hayes announced she was opting out on June 23. Betnijah Laney's signing was announced the next day, June 24. They both play the same positions. Crazy that if Hayes hadn't opted out, we might not have seen Laney in action this season for any team. And because the two largely play the same positions and the Dream now have a logjam in those spots, Laney might've just taken Hayes' job for good... Could the Dream trade Hayes? I say they should.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/13/20 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Could the Dream trade Hayes? I say they should.

They should have traded her in 2017, while her value was the highest it was ever going to be.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/13/20 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

They should have traded her in 2017, while her value was the highest it was ever going to be.

I was a little surprised they didn't trade her this past offseason amongst all the chaos, both in free agency and in the Dream's own re-establishing of their identity post-McCoughtry. I wonder what she could've netted them back then, and in 2017. Hell, I wonder what she could net 'em now...

Randy

PostPosted: 09/14/20 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I was a little surprised they didn't trade her this past offseason amongst all the chaos, both in free agency and in the Dream's own re-establishing of their identity post-McCoughtry. I wonder what she could've netted them back then, and in 2017. Hell, I wonder what she could net 'em now...

She is a (relatively) cheap and expiring contract in 2021 and there will be some team than needs another 2 due to injuries, a player lost to FA, or whatever. What can they get? FRP in a crappy draft.....

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/14/20 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howard for Hayes? Who says yes? Who says no? Who says hell no?

PostPosted: 09/14/20 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta probably could have gotten Howard and a draft pick for Hayes, in 2017. Just saying.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/14/20 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Natasha Howard?!

Umm... respectfully... No.❤️

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/14/20 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Natasha Howard?!

Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 09/14/20 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Natasha Howard?!

Crying or Very sad

2019 Howard or 2020 ? There's a huuuuuuge difference Shocked Shocked

I was hoping for something along the lines of Howard for KLS or Harrison/Ndour & one of our multiple 1st Rd's !!

PostPosted: 09/14/20 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see who from the backcourt stays. If you can get value for Tip, then try. I’m not sure which team has a need for a shooting guard/sometime undersized small forward. Hayes can be a great player and should get a chance to shine. Laney did a great job at the 3 this year and should be an integral piece in 2021. Post is obviously the biggest need. I love Elizabeth but she was missing too many bunnies this year. Billings showed she could perform really well but lost it sometime mid-late season. The biggest issue was post depth. Glory had a few good games but never seemed to fully get there. Brown came in a bit too out of shape and after covid, just wasn’t able to overcome it. Stricklin played well at times but I think coming off the bench at the 3 would be the best role. I know many doubted Dietrick but dang if she didn’t come through when needed. That was unexpected.

I’m not familiar with who will be available in the draft, so what’s the draft looking like with posts? Or would trading for a post be a better option?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/14/20 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Natasha Howard?!

Crying or Very sad

2019 Howard or 2020 ? There's a huuuuuuge difference Shocked Shocked

Laughing Sorry mavcarter. Nah, as slow as Howard started this season, she started to come around midseason, so I'll trust she can perform during the playoffs when we'll really need her to. She claims she wasn't able to train much during lockdown and it showed, and now that it's been a couple months since then, she's looking more like herself - so I trust that this situation was a one-off and next year she'll start off good again. Ergo, Howard for Hayes is a 'no' from me. Very Happy

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/14/20 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
It will be interesting to see who from the backcourt stays. If you can get value for Tip, then try. I’m not sure which team has a need for a shooting guard/sometime undersized small forward. Hayes can be a great player and should get a chance to shine. Laney did a great job at the 3 this year and should be an integral piece in 2021. Post is obviously the biggest need. I love Elizabeth but she was missing too many bunnies this year. Billings showed she could perform really well but lost it sometime mid-late season. The biggest issue was post depth. Glory had a few good games but never seemed to fully get there. Brown came in a bit too out of shape and after covid, just wasn’t able to overcome it. Stricklen played well at times but I think coming off the bench at the 3 would be the best role. I know many doubted Dietrick but dang if she didn’t come through when needed. That was unexpected.

I’m not familiar with who will be available in the draft, so what’s the draft looking like with posts? Or would trading for a post be a better option?

Good summary of the state of things; that's pretty much how I see it too. Here's my list of various draft options. I don't consider any of those centers as serious first-round prospects. Mack from OK State and maybe Thompson from Auburn are worth a lottery pick imo - just as things stand now. I'm guessing they'll be the only collegiate true post players going in the first round. For multiple reasons, I can't even begin to predict where the numerous international prospects are going to go, though.

Trading for a good post is the better move here, but it won't be a realistic option. The Dream should heavily scout a few post options since they'll have a lottery pick, so odds are ok that they'll find one post player out of the pool who they think will be a fit. This is the Draft to look for and draft diamonds in the rough, rather than the 'best talent', per se - even if that means taking a player higher than where people think they should be. IMO, of course.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/14/20 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If ATL is interested the Sky has a center that they will trade for pennies on the dollar. The Sky will trade for any end of the bench post that you have. If that price is too high the will accept any bottom of the barrel draft picks. If that price is too high we will accept court sweepers too. Wink
The center is from UCONN.

Last edited by Rock Hard on 09/14/20 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/14/20 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hayes and the lottery pick for A. Thomas

Atl
Carter, C. Williams, Laney, A. Thomas, E. Williams
Dietrick, Cazorla, Striclen, Billings, Brown

Conn
J. Thomas, January, Hayes, Bonner, J. Jones
Heideman, Holmes, Charles, Lottey pick , B. Jones

I don't hate it

Cooper2009

PostPosted: 09/14/20 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Atl

Conn

I don't hate it

Don’t hate it at all...

PostPosted: 09/14/20 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Atl

Conn

I don't hate it

Must not be a Sun fan, then. Alyssa Thomas is the soul of that team, and probably not the "best" player (depending on your definition of "best"), but the only reason that team has the potential to be any good. She's the heart of the offense, and the heart of the defense. Switch her out for Hayes, and Connecticut becomes the WNBA version of the Houston Rockets. Yeuuuck!

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/14/20 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Atl

Conn

I don't hate it

Must not be a Sun fan, then. Alyssa Thomas is the soul of that team, and probably not the "best" player (depending on your definition of "best"), but the only reason that team has the potential to be any good. She's the heart of the offense, and the heart of the defense. Switch her out for Hayes, and Connecticut becomes the WNBA version of the Houston Rockets. Yeuuuck!

I agree with all your points

my thought was now Conn would have all 5 starter be able to shoot the 3 which Miller would like and its Hayes and a lottery pick not just Hayes, so it keeps them good now while maybe adding to the future.

But yes if I am Conn I want to see if
J. Thomas, January, Bonner, A. Thomas and J. Jones is enough to contend

Hayes has some value but there aren't a lot of posts out there

Shades

PostPosted: 09/14/20 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Atl

Conn
Heideman, Holmes, Charles, Lottery pick, B. Jones

I don't hate it

Miller should hate it. Why would he willingly give up Thomas? If Miller lowballs Thomas like he did with CWill, that’s another story.

Connecticut also has Mompremier. I guess you’re kicking her to the curb. I honestly think she’s at around Hebard’s level if given the same opportunity. I’d hang with what they got, if they can afford it all. JJones added to the current team should be Top 4 material.

Hayes doesn’t necessarily have to be traded. This is the era of good players coming off the bench. Just ask the #1 seed.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
BamaEd

PostPosted: 09/14/20 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
BamaEd wrote:
It will be interesting to see who from the backcourt stays. If you can get value for Tip, then try. I’m not sure which team has a need for a shooting guard/sometime undersized small forward. Hayes can be a great player and should get a chance to shine. Laney did a great job at the 3 this year and should be an integral piece in 2021. Post is obviously the biggest need. I love Elizabeth but she was missing too many bunnies this year. Billings showed she could perform really well but lost it sometime mid-late season. The biggest issue was post depth. Glory had a few good games but never seemed to fully get there. Brown came in a bit too out of shape and after covid, just wasn’t able to overcome it. Stricklen played well at times but I think coming off the bench at the 3 would be the best role. I know many doubted Dietrick but dang if she didn’t come through when needed. That was unexpected.

Good summary of the state of things; that's pretty much how I see it too. Here's my list of various draft options. I don't consider any of those centers as serious first-round prospects. Mack from OK State and maybe Thompson from Auburn are worth a lottery pick imo - just as things stand now. I'm guessing they'll be the only collegiate true post players going in the first round. For multiple reasons, I can't even begin to predict where the numerous international prospects are going to go, though.

Trading for a good post is the better move here, but it won't be a realistic option. The Dream should heavily scout a few post options since they'll have a lottery pick, so odds are ok that they'll find one post player out of the pool who they think will be a fit. This is the Draft to look for and draft diamonds in the rough, rather than the 'best talent', per se - even if that means taking a player higher than where people think they should be. IMO, of course.

Great list, thank you so much! We still have to wait on what the college season will look like to see if anyone has a standout season.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/15/20 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Miller trades Thomas for Hayes his days will be numbered i tell you that much !

PostPosted: 09/15/20 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
If Miller trades Thomas for Hayes his days will be numbered i tell you that much !

It is Hayes and a lottery pick but I have already been thoroughly shamed away from the idea anyway.

How about Hayes for Achonwa

Improves Atl's post a little bit, Hayes is a nice balance for K. Mitchell as a larger defensive guard

Randy

PostPosted: 09/15/20 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Atl
Dietrick, Cazorla, Striclen, Billings*, Brown

Conn
Heideman, Holmes, Charles, Lottey pick* , B. Jones

I don't hate it

Sort of nice lineup of players. The the Dream are team of former Sun players, while the Sun are the team of former Dream players.....

*traded draft pick

Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/15/20 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Improves Atl's post a little bit, Hayes is a nice balance for K. Mitchell as a larger defensive guard

Does it, though? Razz I've never really liked Achonwa's game; she doesn't do anything particularly good or bad, just sorta meh. Most importantly, I don't think she'd add much to the Dream roster. They're better off making sure Kalani Brown gets back into shape, as she at least can be good offensively. Too, Zahui B. might be a fit here...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/15/20 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Does it, though? Razz I've never really liked Achonwa's game; she doesn't do anything particularly good or bad, just sorta meh. Most importantly, I don't think she'd add much to the Dream roster. They're better off making sure Kalani Brown gets back into shape, as she at least can be good offensively. Too, Zahui B. might be a fit here...

Hayes / Mitchell & Wheeler = Not enough shots

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: