RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 10/01/20 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was not a Dietrick fan before this season, but I think she comes back. I don't see any team offering her big bucks. She's fine as a backup combo guard. Also, Cazorla showed nothing in 2019, and it looks like she was only a seldom used backup in the Spanish league. Not sure she is even worth the plane ticket to bring her to camp. They would probably find someone better in the draft.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 10/01/20 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the 3, would Hayes start and Laney come off the bench? Would Laney start and Hayes come off the bench? Does one get traded? Yes it’s been discussed already but I just wonder. Laney would be less expensive than Hayes. But Hayes has been one of the faces of the franchise since she got there. I just wonder how things will play out. I think Laney leads off the bench like Hamby does for Vegas.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/01/20 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
At the 3, would Hayes start and Laney come off the bench? Would Laney start and Hayes come off the bench? Does one get traded? Yes it’s been discussed already but I just wonder. Laney would be less expensive than Hayes. But Hayes has been one of the faces of the franchise since she got there. I just wonder how things will play out. I think Laney leads off the bench like Hamby does for Vegas.

Would Laney be cheaper? Hayes is still locked in at the old max

PostPosted: 10/01/20 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will hard for one ball to service all of Carter, CWill, Laney, and Hayes. Though it would be nice to have all of them, I would think they might actually be able to use one of them in a trade for a decent post. Maybe j-spoon can give us a workable trade idea.

edit: ok, I guess he already did. Well we have a few months to re-hash it. I'm assuming they won't give up their lottery pick unless it's a superstar...like Griner. So str8 across Laney or Hayes for x ? Who you got. I kinda like Hayes for Saunders.

- Amanda Gorman

Last edited by myrtle on 10/01/20 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
BamaEd

PostPosted: 10/01/20 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

Would Laney be cheaper? Hayes is still locked in at the old max

I had forgotten that. She re-signed before the new CBA, unless her agent went back and renegotiated. Kinda like the opposite of stores who will give you the cheaper price if you find it elsewhere. Maybe if you got in cheap, they’ll give you a bump after? Haha, I’m sure the good senator just wrote a check haha

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/01/20 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can't renegotiate in this league. They could favour her with bonuses and public appearance stuff, but that's about it.

Laney's almost certain to be getting more than Hayes next season, whether in Atlanta or somewhere else.

PostPosted: 10/01/20 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about signing Hawkins? She's a stretch 4 and there won't be room for her in Washington.

In actuality I'm not sure they need a stretch 4. IMO they really need an upgrade at C. EWill is good but not really a starting 5 (ducks as Dream fans send missiles at me)

- Amanda Gorman

Last edited by myrtle on 10/01/20 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/01/20 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
How about signing Hawkins? She's a stretch 4 and there won't be room for her in Washington.

I could see that as a match. She didn't do much of a job of selling herself as a decent WNBA-starter-level player this season, though. Maybe it was due to injury, but she was the one who was meant to have the Hines-Allen-esque season with all the people missing for Washington, and she very much didn't. It would feel like a fairly desperate hopeful shot-in-the-dark move to me.

PostPosted: 10/01/20 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It will hard for one ball to service all of Carter, CWill, Laney, and Hayes. Though it would be nice to have all of them, I would think they might actually be able to use one of them in a trade for a decent post. Maybe j-spoon can give us a workable trade idea. Very Happy

Earlier in the threat I tried
Hayes and lottery pick for A. Thomas and
Hayes and lottery pick for MHA
both went over poorly
Another idea that will also go over poorly if LA can't afford to max Parker, Ogwumike and Gray maybe a Bonner like trade of N. Ogwumike at super max for Hayes and Atl lottery pick. Hayes cheaper contract probably allows LA to keep Sykes, and adding a lottery pick gives LA another cheap contract and youth for post Parker/Ogwumike future

Gray, Toliver, Sykes, Vadeeva, Parker
Cooper, Weise, Hayes, lottery pick, pick 10, Anigwe, Gulich

Carter, C. Will, Laney, Ogwumike, E. Will
Montgomery, Cazorla, Dietrick, Stricklen, Billings, Brown, Brewer

won't happen but interesting

Then I considered Hayes off the bench she could probably get 25-30 minutes a night backing up Carter, C. Williams and Laney at all 3 perimeter spots (Williams and Hayes have enough handle and PG skill to survive without a true PG while Carter is on the bench).

Maybe I will try to lower my post targets

how about Hayes for Hamby
LV probably needs Hamby more than Hayes but if they can find another post option and Centerfold Liz returns I could see Hayes in the T. Young role of old, and Hamby would start in Atl.

If Conn can not afford B. Jones maybe a sign and trade with Atl would be more appealing than losing her for nothing for an offer sheet they couldn't match.

Hayes for Ndour I could see Agler liking Hayes and Atl maybe getting the good version of Ndour with a change of scenery and possible starting spot?

easier option maybe just keep Hayes and sign a stretch 4 type
bring back Breland or
sign Hawkins or
sign Zahui B or
sign Dupree or
sign Achonwa

and hope for a good lottery pick

Carter/Montgomery or Cazorla
C. Will/Hayes
Laney/lottery pick/Dietrick or Stricklen
Billings/free agent (Breland, Hawkins, Dupree, Zahui B, Achonwa)
E. Will/Brown

Brewer or make an "or" above an "and"

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/01/20 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the Nneka idea but it would be a pretty big blow to LA.
B. Jones I could definitely see here or in Dallas.
And yeah, WTF happened to Ndour. I kept expecting her 'better' version to show up but it never happened.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/01/20 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I like the Nneka idea but it would be a pretty big blow to LA.

And what's the harm in that, hmm? Very Happy Razz

Randy

PostPosted: 10/02/20 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see Nneka being willing to give up the limelight of LA, to play in the backwater of the WNBA. Especially with Cruella De Ville as the team owner.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/02/20 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually like the Tianna Hawkins idea. She was good… when she was surrounded by a boatload of talent in 2019. Sounded & looked like she played hurt throughout this past season, but with the lack of other talent the Mystics had, she didn't have many bright spots. So I do question how good she'd be as a starter elsewhere. And the Mystics are her hometown team, so I wonder if she would even want to leave for greener pastures or if she'd be content to take a discount to stay with the Mystics. Still, if the Dream can lure her away for a non-outrageous amount, I say go for it.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/20 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I don't see Nneka being willing to give up the limelight of LA, to play in the backwater of the WNBA. Especially with Cruella De Ville as the team owner.

Sparks were a #3 seed this year despite Nneka having an off year (her migraines are why they got stuffed so easily in the playoffs), and three other key players opting out. They should be a strong title contender next season.

Homeless Breland coming back to ATL makes the most sense. Perhaps a trade for Ndour since Agler never wanted to use her. Is she worth a 2022 pick? That’s a tough one.

Hines-Allen fits the description of a stretch four for me. If Meesseman, Delle Donne, and Charles all come back to WAS, they shouldn’t have enough money for Hines-Allen as a backup.

Maybe Charles would be interested in coming to ATL to take shots away from Carter, Williams, and Hayes. Disaster.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/02/20 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Randy wrote:

Sparks were a #3 seed this year despite Nneka having an off year (her migraines are why they got stuffed so easily in the playoffs), and three other key players opting out. They should be a strong title contender next season.

Homeless Breland coming back to ATL makes the most sense. Perhaps a trade for Ndour since Agler never wanted to use her. Is she worth a 2022 pick? That’s a tough one.

Hines-Allen fits the description of a stretch four for me. If Meesseman, Delle Donne, and Charles all come back to WAS, they shouldn’t have enough money for Hines-Allen as a backup.

Maybe Charles would be interested in coming to ATL to take shots away from Carter, Williams, and Hayes. Disaster.

Make that Dallas hopefully, we got the cash . Although I still see her giving DC a shot at a title next season . MHA or Breland could be good options. Preferably MHA she rebounds consistently .

PostPosted: 10/02/20 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know why so many people seem to think Hines-Allen is some kind of free agent or going to be expensive next season. She's only been in the league for three seasons. She has a year left on her rookie-scale contract. She's cheap.

PostPosted: 10/02/20 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do people believe MHA is the real thing or was this past season a fluke? If you believe it’s real, then Hines-Allen is a 25-year-old All-Star level player. She had a better season in 2020 than Tina Charles had in 2019. Myisha put up better numbers than any individual year Emma Meesseman has ever had. Throw in the fact that EDD is always sick or injured, and it seems to me that Thibault should hang on to Hines-Allen for dear life.

PostPosted: 10/02/20 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Do people believe MHA is the real thing or was this past season a fluke? If you believe it’s real, then Hines-Allen is a 25-year-old All-Star level player. She had a better season in 2020 than Tina Charles had in 2019. Myisha put up better numbers than any individual year Emma Meesseman has ever had. Throw in the fact that EDD is always sick or injured, and it seems to me that Thibault should hang on to Hines-Allen for dear life.

Acknowledging she still has a year left on her rookie contract (my bad), if Thibault is unsure if Hines-Allen’s year was a “fluke” or not, it might be best to sell high on her. A year back on the bench might drop her value to where it was before this season.

Personally I don’t think it was a fluke. She probably got some great training and took full advantage of the opportunity given, just like Laney.

The Charles situation puts WAS in a weird spot. They gave up a lot to get Charles, only to not use her this season. Do they just let her walk away because they didn’t realize what they had in Hines-Allen? I can’t remember the WAS’s core situation. I don’t think Delle Donne required the core.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/20 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Make that Dallas hopefully, we got the cash . Although I still see her giving DC a shot at a title next season.

The two players with the highest number of shot attempts would be a fine coupling.

I think Dallas might be the only team desperate enough to give Charles max or supermax, whatever the case may be.

If WAS were to core Charles, would you be willing to give up Jefferson, Alarie, and the 2022 first round pick? I’m guessing not, like you were hoping to get her for free. Surprised

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/02/20 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Make that Dallas hopefully, we got the cash . Although I still see her giving DC a shot at a title next season.

The two players with the highest number of shot attempts would be a fine coupling.

I think Dallas might be the only team desperate enough to give Charles max or supermax, whatever the case may be.

If WAS were to core Charles, would you be willing to give up Jefferson, Alarie, and the 2022 first round pick? I’m guessing not, like you were hoping to get her for free. Surprised

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

PostPosted: 10/02/20 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She might be more of a liability than asset by now. The Mystics probably regret giving up so many assets and then having to be stuck paying for her to opt out this year. They may have to decide in January whether to sign her for another year (knowing she may be able to get another medical opt out) at a high salary, or let her go. Dallas could well get her for nothing but salary.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/02/20 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charles is an unrestricted free agent and can't be cored, as has been mentioned multiple times in multiple places. The assumption is that she'll end up in Washington, given that it's where she wanted to be and they gave up a decent-sized package to acquire her, but she can go anywhere for nothing. And they're also under no official obligation to offer her anything.

PostPosted: 10/02/20 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thought of Arike & Tina on the same team gives me chills . Better be damn Dallas ! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 10/02/20 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just bringing it back to talk about Atlanta instead of other teams.

I do wonder which players from this year come back next year.

Starters:
Carter
C. Williams
Laney
E. Williams

Bench:
Billings
Dietrick

Stricklin is a maybe for me. She had some good moments and could be better in a bench role. I also think Glory is gone. Brown may get a training camp invite but the fitness has to be better.

The others, well, they didn’t get to play so...

pilight

PostPosted: 10/02/20 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stricklen also needs better conditioning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 3 of 23

Jump to: