Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/15/20 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
How about Hayes for Achonwa

Improves Atl's post a little bit, Hayes is a nice balance for K. Mitchell as a larger defensive guard

Does it, though? Razz I've never really liked Achonwa's game; she doesn't do anything particularly good or bad, just sorta meh. Most importantly, I don't think she'd add much to the Dream roster. They're better off making sure Kalani Brown gets back into shape, as she at least can be good offensively. Too, Zahui B. might be a fit here...

Hayes / Mitchell & Wheeler = Not enough shots

Big pass on Hayes for this Fever fan.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/15/20 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK this will go over poorly but how about Hayes and lottery pick for Hines-Allen

hear me out
IF EDD, Charles and Sanders return and Meeseman plays for most of the season what happens to MHA's minutes

Washington has no draft picks in 21

Cloud, Atkins, EDD, Charles, Sanders
Mitchell, Hayes, Powers, lottery pick, Meeseman, (this 2nd team could beat a lot of first teams)
Leslie, Hawkins

Atl
Carter, C. Williams, Laney, MHA, E. Will
Dietrick, Cazorla, Stricklen, Billings, Brown
Brewer, 2nd round pick or Kea if NY cuts her

Atl hastens its rebuild by building a young but gaining experience core, that group of starters can grow together over the next few season

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/15/20 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All those highly paid vets, Washington aren't trading Hines-Allen - still on rookie-scale - for another vet deal. They're gonna have enough cap issues as it is if everyone wants to come back.

PostPosted: 09/15/20 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If a post goes on the trading block, I suspect it would be Sanders. They could also just go with three bigs on the floor continually. That wouldn't be so bad.

Furthermore, I don't really think Hayes is a player they need - the lottery pick would make it a bit better but I don't think Atlanta would be willing to give it up anyway.

Also I would think Hawkins should see the writing on the wall and be looking for a better landing spot.

Anyway they should wait to see who is healthy next Spring before making a big move.

- Amanda Gorman
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/15/20 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If a post goes on the trading block, I suspect it would be Sanders. They could also just go with three bigs on the floor continually. That wouldn't be so bad.

Furthermore, I don't really think Hayes is a player they need - the lottery pick would make it a bit better but I don't think Atlanta would be willing to give it up anyway.

Also I would think Hawkins should see the writing on the wall and be looking for a better landing spot.

Anyway they should wait to see who is healthy next Spring before making a big move.

Sanders is a player I’d like a look at if im Dallas. No she’s no post offensive stalwart but she can defend down low with that Delisha Milton Jones Length!

PostPosted: 09/15/20 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK I am going to give up Hayes trades for now

I wonder if she was still getting 20-25 minutes if Hayes would accept coming off the bench at the 2 and 3 spot sometimes (maybe even at the 1 in theory she could be a decent back-court partner for either Carter or C. Williams.) Atl Starts with a small ball offensive line up but has the option to go bigger at all positions

Atl drafts R. Davis calls it a day

Carter/Dietrick
C. Williams/Hayes/Cazorla
Laney/Stricklen
Davis/Billings
E. Will/K. Brown/Brewer

and they still have a high 2nd round pick or could bring back GloJo or Montgomery if they want to up grade anyone above.

Not very exciting but seems that adding Hayes, a draft pick and internal growth (Carter, Billings, Laney and Brown could all be better next year) will move Atl a step forward.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/16/20 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really have to wait until there is an obvious team that needs a wing on trading Hayes. Could see the Mercury in that situation if it looks like Hartley will be out next season.

The easiest way to improve the Dream would be if Brown and Stricklen come into camp next season in better shape. I wouldn't bring NoMoGlory back.....

TigerVol

PostPosted: 09/16/20 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember the last time Atlanta traded a lottery pick?

Would take a dang sure take a similar proven young talent that is just a better fit here for me to make that mistake again.

The lottery pick AND Hayes - doubt anyone would give up a player I think justifies that trade.

IMO you see who is back and keep an open eye and mind for an equivalent talent where the swap is just a better fit for both teams and players.

Otherwise figure out how to put all the pieces together to advantage. Hayes needed a break. Had to be burned out mentally and physically with the year 'round given her style of play. A refreshed Hayes with teammates who can create/shoot is a problem for the opponent.

Coach likes to play deep on the bench and manage everyone's minutes of possible - which is good for the team and for the players... If you can do it.

PostPosted: 09/16/20 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
Otherwise figure out how to put all the pieces together to advantage. Hayes needed a break. Had to be burned out mentally and physically with the year 'round given her style of play. A refreshed Hayes with teammates who can create/shoot is a problem for the opponent.

Eh, if you say so. What I would say is that Tiffany Hayes has never been the best player on a team with a winning record, at least not since high school. She put up a bunch of empty numbers in 2017, while McCoughtry was out, but the team was abysmal. She got a brief reprieve when McCoughtry came back to be the focal point of opposing defenses in 2018, but after teams got a season's worth of film to gameplan for, she wilted under the pressure of being a Number One option, when she got her second shot at it in 2019. I suppose you can write that off as mental fatigue, if you're so inclined, but I don't feel obliged to be so charitable. And I never got the sense that she was cool playing second fiddle to McCoughtry, so I can't imagine that she'd be any more receptive to being asked to do it for somebody less accomplished than McCoughtry.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/16/20 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think if they could get a decent post for Hayes, they should pull that trigger. I don't see where she fits with Carter, Laney, and CWill except off the bench...and I don't think that would be a happy space for her. Of course it would be nice to have more guard depth, but the post is where they're much more desperate and they'll probably get guard depth with the lotto pick. I wouldn't really count on Brown or Stricklen ever providing all that much more than they did this year, especially Stricklen, who has shown she will provide what she provides...maybe useful for someone to come in for a few minutes and shoot. Brown came into the wubble Shocked FAT and totally out of shape, so maybe she could become useful if she doesn't become a perennial D. Adams. JMO. Like Dallas though they need post help. It's not like EWill or Billings are terrible, but adequate is not really what you want for starters.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/17/20 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle I gotta say, I've always appreciated your frankness when it comes to talking about, umm, 'out of shape' players. Laughing #FAT

TigerVol

PostPosted: 09/17/20 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
TigerVol wrote:

Eh, if you say so. What I would say is that Tiffany Hayes has never been the best player on a team with a winning record, at least not since high school. She put up a bunch of empty numbers in 2017, while McCoughtry was out, but the team was abysmal. She got a brief reprieve when McCoughtry came back to be the focal point of opposing defenses in 2018, but after teams got a season's worth of film to gameplan for, she wilted under the pressure of being a Number One option, when she got her second shot at it in 2019. I suppose you can write that off as mental fatigue, if you're so inclined, but I don't feel obliged to be so charitable. And I never got the sense that she was cool playing second fiddle to McCoughtry, so I can't imagine that she'd be any more receptive to being asked to do it for somebody less accomplished than McCoughtry.

Didn't say she was the best player on the team by herself or able to carry a team. I don't see that as her role.

She can be a dangerous part of a team in a whole s greater than the sum way.

If someone wants to give us an Angel equivalent in her mid twenties for Hayes and the lottery I'd say do it.

That would surprise me.

PostPosted: 09/17/20 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Myrtle I gotta say, I've always appreciated your frankness when it comes to talking about, umm, 'out of shape' players. Laughing #FAT

I try to be subtle and circumspect when the situation warrants Wink

Disclaimer: In fairness, I'm not a skinny mini myself and generally don't care what other people look like...but I expect athletes to take care of themselves as an important part of their jobs. If they don't, I start questioning if they are really serious about that job. There are of course extenuating circumstances. But it's one of the things I totally respect about Sue and Diana - that they have made it a point to take care of themselves in order to last as long as they have.

- Amanda Gorman
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/17/20 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I try to be subtle and circumspect when the situation warrants Wink

Disclaimer: In fairness, I'm not a skinny mini myself and generally don't care what other people look like...but I expect athletes to take care of themselves as an important part of their jobs. If they don't, I start questioning if they are really serious about that job. There are of course extenuating circumstances. But it's one of the things I totally respect about Sue and Diana - that they have made it a point to take care of themselves in order to last as long as they have.

This is why I will always love Myrtle. Speaking the truth without sarcasm and arrogance. Very Happy

PostPosted: 10/01/20 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Atlanta Dream face a numbers crunch

https://thenext.substack.com/p/the-atlanta-dream-face-a-numbers

Quote:
Montgomery was on the last year of her contract this season, and because she opted out, she is no longer actively under contract with the Dream — but she isn’t a free agent. She can only negotiate with the Dream, but it’s relatively unlikely that she’s a part of the Dream’s plans going forward.

PostPosted: 10/01/20 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It’s no small mystery that I moved (Shekinna Stricklen) down to the four at the end of the season because nobody was guarding our fours on the perimeter,” Collen said.

Too bad Stricklen was out there building houses this season.

PostPosted: 10/01/20 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on that article’s opinions:

Likely to return
Hayes (signed)
Laney (UFA) - She wants to return and is top priority
Cazorla (RC) - Likely would have made 2020 team

Unlikely to return
Davis (RFA)
Dietrick (RFA)
GJohnson (UFA)
Montgomery (UFA)

Quote:
As Collen said, stretch four is the Dream’s biggest need heading into the offseason. The rest of the roster is relatively settled — or will be relatively easy to settle.

How about having Billings work on her three point shot?

Hey, Reeve, ATL wants a stretch 4 and you have Herbert Harrigan. Maybe they love her?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/01/20 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be surprised if Dietrick isn't on their team next year, if for no other reason than to come in and put up a few threes. That she can handle is a bonus. And the impression is that she will do whatever she is asked to do without a lot of drama. If they let her go, I would think she would be in demand on a few other teams now that she has had a chance to show her value. If nothing else, maybe a sign and trade. I could see her as a replacement for Sugar Rogers. Aces really, really need more players who can actually hit a 3.

GloJo may have trouble finding a home anywhere. She looks like she's lost her passion for playing, and I think that 'want-to' was one of her best assets. She looked like a shell of herself this year.

I doubt Pivec makes this team, but I will be curious to see if she could make another one somewhere. I think she's playing in Spain now so maybe it will depend on how she does there. She was always a fun player to watch at OrSU but not sure it will translate.

As Shades says, it would be in Billings' interest to develop an outside shot. It wouldn't even need to be a three ball, but a 16' shot would be helpful. She's improved a lot since college so I think that's not impossible. OTOH her rebounding is one of her best assets, so floating around outside might not be her best usage.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/01/20 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Hey, Reeve, ATL wants a stretch 4 and you have Herbert Harrigan. Maybe they love her?

Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 10/01/20 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe Dietrick is unlikely to be on the roster next season, given how many minutes she got (and that she actually did somewhat well in them – I can't believe I'm saying that, either Shocked ). However, I am prepared to die on the "Dietrick is not a PG" hill – she's a good passer from an off-guard spot, but put a little bit of on-ball pressure on her when she handles the rock and she cracks like a pistachio. I'm not sure who would want Montgomery at this point, since her most recent season was one of her worse ones and it wasn't even this past season in 2020. She'll already have been two years older, and – in sports terms – she certainly wasn't 'getting younger' to begin with. But since the Dream still retain her rights, just sign her to a training camper and see if she fits in with the newer pieces. Basically risk-free. And if she thinks she's above that, then enjoy retirement, Renee!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/01/20 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dump Deitrick bring back Montgomery on a 1 year deal. I do agree with the above statement that Glory may have no place to play next season as well if ATL does not want her back . She's regressed a lot the last few years.

PostPosted: 10/01/20 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Glory may have no place to play next season as well if ATL does not want her back . She's regressed a lot the last few years.

If this indeed was her last year in the League, at least for her sake, she cashed tf out – $165k in half a normal season's worth of games on not even 5 PPG! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 10/01/20 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I would be surprised if Dietrick isn't on their team next year, if for no other reason than to come in and put up a few threes.

Kinda sounds like you’re predicting Dietrick will beat out Cazorla even though the author painted a picture of them loving Cazorla. When two guards come back, two guards have to leave. That’s how science works, unless you want them to leave themselves thin in the post. Nope, not worth it.

Dietrick is also a RFA which means if another team is interested in her, ATL probably doesn’t match unless that team wants her bad enough to trade for her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/01/20 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Atlanta Dream face a numbers crunch

https://thenext.substack.com/p/the-atlanta-dream-face-a-numbers

Quote:
Montgomery was on the last year of her contract this season, and because she opted out, she is no longer actively under contract with the Dream — but she isn’t a free agent. She can only negotiate with the Dream, but it’s relatively unlikely that she’s a part of the Dream’s plans going forward.

That would be the situation that I detailed and explained last week in here: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/2021-wnba-free-agency-list

PostPosted: 10/01/20 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I would be surprised if Dietrick isn't on their team next year, if for no other reason than to come in and put up a few threes.

Kinda sounds like you’re predicting Dietrick will beat out Cazorla even though the author painted a picture of them loving Cazorla. When two guards come back, two guards have to leave. That’s how science works, unless you want them to leave themselves thin in the post. Nope, not worth it.

Dietrick is also a RFA which means if another team is interested in her, ATL probably doesn’t match unless that team wants her bad enough to trade for her.

I'm always liking to have a third ball handler on a team, just for emergency sake, and it doesn't hurt if that player can make threes as well.
So with
Carter and Cazorla
Williams and ?
Laney and Hayes and maybe someone else here (Stricklen if you can't do better?)
five posts

Why can't Dietrick be the ? at SG? Am I missing someone? Obviously both Hayes and Laney can also play the two and Dietrick would be the 5th guard. JMO of course. She showed herself capable and knows the team. Those are good qualities for a fifth guard. But like I said, if Atlanta doesn't want her, she should find a home elsewhere.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: