RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dallas Wings 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 04/17/21 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Collier is only ready to start in the W in somebody's imagination.

Laughing Laughing Makes me think of all these science-fiction shows and movies with alternate realities.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I love Thornton. Also A.Gray. And I don't think they bring the same things at all. They're both tough hard-nosed defenders but Thornton has enough size to guard bigger players and Alisha is a bit quicker for the smaller ones. With this lineup I think they may both play SF.

If VJohnson wants veteran leadership, it wouldn’t make sense to release her. Pretty sure she’s the most veteran.

myrtle wrote:
I could see Sabally starting at PF just because of the lack of post depth. I don't know about Awak but Collier is only ready to start in the W in somebody's imagination.

I imagine Wasserman believes she’s ready to start, and I imagine they’ll be lighting a match under Bibb’s butt to make it happen.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/17/21 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charli has a compelling personal story and I truly hope she can prove me wrong. I just hope she isn't thrown to the wolves too early in her career.

Milks26

PostPosted: 04/17/21 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think it would be disastrous not only for the team, but for her own confidence. Let her play some minutes against second stringers and maybe gain some of that confidence...if she can even perform against them.

Agreed. If they keep Harrison - Collier needs to come off the bench.

We'll see what they do.

Last edited by Milks26 on 04/18/21 2:25 am; edited 2 times in total
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/18/21 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Drafting a player #1 to hide them from the big bad women at the next level seems backwards, unless she’s underwhelming in camp.

You took her #1 to be a franchise cornerstone, regardless of how others feel about her inconsistencies when she’s just a kid like everyone else in this draft..

PostPosted: 04/18/21 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Drafting a player #1 to hide them from the big bad women at the next level seems backwards, unless she’s underwhelming in camp.

You took her #1 to be a franchise cornerstone, regardless of how others feel about her inconsistencies when she’s just a kid like everyone else in this draft..

I have to agree with this. I think the best thing to do would be to start Collier, but keep her role simple. She certainly has it in her wheelhouse to be strictly a putback scorer & 3PT shooter when wide open on offense, while focusing the majority of her efforts on the defensive end as it pertains to physicality. Otherwise, Ogunbowale, Sabally, and others can do the heavy-lifting on offense. Especially if Bill Laimbeer has rubbed off on Vickie Johnson, I'd imagine Collier's role will stay limited with defense & rebounding at least to start off with, and go from there if she shows she can handle it.

She could become the next Jackie Young, as a #1 Pick that was not horrible but not good as a full-time starter her first year, to a very consistent bench player her next year. They're two entirely different players, but following that path, this would be the year that Collier gets to start & feel things out as a starter...

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/18/21 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Thank you, thank you....THANK YOU, JEEEEZ!!!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/18/21 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I have to agree with this. I think the best thing to do would be to start Collier, but keep her role simple. She certainly has it in her wheelhouse to be strictly a putback scorer & 3PT shooter when wide open on offense, while focusing the majority of her efforts on the defensive end as it pertains to physicality. Otherwise, Ogunbowale, Sabally, and others can do the heavy-lifting on offense. Especially if Bill Laimbeer has rubbed off on Vickie Johnson, I'd imagine Collier's role will stay limited with defense & rebounding at least to start off with, and go from there if she shows she can handle it.

She could become the next Jackie Young, as a #1 Pick that was not horrible but not good as a full-time starter her first year, to a very consistent bench player her next year. They're two entirely different players, but following that path, this would be the year that Collier gets to start & feel things out as a starter...

We drafted Collier for two reasons: Rebounding & protecting the paint, that's it! People that hate her, hate her no matter what and that's very obvious on this platform, but for those who have actually been listening to Greg Bibb about this team, you would know that she is more than capable of fulfilling the expectations that the organization wants her to focus on!

Randy

PostPosted: 04/18/21 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW- since the Wings do play in Texas hope they give AK the number 47.

Cooper2009

PostPosted: 04/18/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Cooper2009 wrote:
Mabrey/Harris/Jefferson
Ogunbowale/Gray
Sabally/Thornton
Kuier/Alarie
Collier/Harrison

Last spot between Dungee and Evans

I want Jefferson gone.

Mabrey/Harris/Evans
Ogunbowale/Gray/Dungee
Sabally/Thornton
Kuier/Alarie
Collier/Harrison

Sabally with the ability to play the 4 and Gray with the ability to play the 3. All posts are versatile enough to play the 4 or 5. 3 people with the ability to play lead guard. This team in paper is a year or two away from contending if they remain together. Jefferson is not needed at all. It’s arguable that all of Jefferson, Thornton, and Harrison could be easily replaced.

It want bother me to see either of: Jefferson, Megan, Thornton or Izzy gone...nothing personal, but I just don't see all that much of what they bring to the table that's franchise changing!!! Also, I just don't see Mabry beating out D. Evans for that last spot...unless I'm missing something?

I actually like Ty Harris starting with Evans backing her Up and Mabrey backing up the 2 and being a third string PG if at all possible. However I do think if Evans makes it(and she should. They need to figure out the Jefferson conundrum because unless she’s healthy wth are they doing) she should be coming off the bench and learning. PG is tricky on any level and takes some adjusting. Not to mention her size(yes there’s dangerfield but there’s a host of others who haven’t made it at that size)

Also, I like Mabrey. I think she’s a good shooter and makes those around her better. Even if it’s only a tad bit better. Izzy has value, they just need to find it. I didn’t understand the Thornton extension mainly because of how she played(or didn’t play) this past year. Gustafson should be gone unless she can beat out Bella which I highly doubt. Jefferson just doesn’t make sense anymore. I loved her when she was at UConn and if she were healthy she’d have had a great career thus far but... she hasn’t.

PostPosted: 04/18/21 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As plenty others on this board have said, I agree with caring how the coaching staff plays the rotation at the end of the game.
I would start Sabally-Collier, with Kuier-Harrison off the bench. The bench duo would already have some chemistry.

If VJ is similar to Bill, maybe she starts Collier even if Harrison is outplaying her. Just as Swords started in Vegas, but Hamby got way more minutes.

Beyond that, Charli is tall, athletic and strong. And now in the W she shouldn’t face triples at all, or doubles very often. With Arike, Satou and Allisha, she isn’t going to be the first offensive option. Can she finish open looks, layups, crash the offensive glass, and at least be a 6’5 lengthy rim intimidator? I think she will be able to.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 04/18/21 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am a bit amused at what LA has done. They have always been my 2nd, or 3D team once moving to Dallas, because of Parker, Thompson and Leslie, but now They send Parker packing and trade a future first pick to Dallas. I now find myself hoping they end up on dead last.

Y’all think there is hope that LA stinks it up on court this season? They lose Chelsea Gray, a maestro at point, and one of the top players of all time in Candace Parker. And they seem to face the same problem they’ve had all along. Too many players that have overlapping skill sets.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/18/21 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
As plenty others on this board have said, I agree with caring how the coaching staff plays the rotation at the end of the game.
I would start Sabally-Collier, with Kuier-Harrison off the bench.

If Kuier indeed comes over this year & plays, there's no point in keeping Alarie, cuz when will Alarie ever get minutes behind those very realistic tandems? Alarie (young w/ some experience & good upside), Mabrey (great season last year, still fairly young & super cheap this year), and Thornton (3 years of team control, all at cheap rates) should all be candidates to be on the trading block between now & the end of training camp if Vickie Johnson wants to keep all her rookies – as she should.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/18/21 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Collier was drafted No. 1 because there was no one else better.

Just because you're the top pick doesn't mean you're a franchise player, or even a starter. It just means you were the best choice available for the team with the first pick.

PostPosted: 04/18/21 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Collier will be better than people give her credit for and I feel that way about this entire draft class to be quite honest. While they don’t look like sure fire stars we gotta remember what the last 1 and a half of a 4 year career was for them and how it affected their development. Give them time and space.

PostPosted: 04/18/21 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
BTW- since the Wings do play in Texas hope they give AK the number 47.

I want to laugh but there is currently too much gun violence in our country. But I understand the reference.

PostPosted: 04/18/21 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alright Dallas gave 3 players training camp contracts: Dee Givens, Tori Jarosz and Destinee Walker.

They now have 17 players. But, only 15 are allowed into training camp. So, I don't now what they have going on. Who's getting traded or shafted?

PostPosted: 04/18/21 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
Alright Dallas gave 3 players training camp contracts: Dee Givens, Tori Jarosz and Destinee Walker.

They now have 17 players. But, only 15 are allowed into training camp. So, I don't now what they have going on. Who's getting traded or shafted?

They probably have a couple players coming in late. The limit is 15 at any one time.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 04/19/21 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just listened to the winsidr podcast with Awak. A lot of good info. She says she likes defense as much as offense.says she’s committed to coming to the US and so much more. Sorry da line Izzie is a close friend of hers, so that would seem to strengthen Izzie’s chance of a roster position.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Just listened to the winsidr podcast with Awak. A lot of good info. She says she likes defense as much as offense.says she’s committed to coming to the US and so much more. Sorry da line Izzie is a close friend of hers, so that would seem to strengthen Izzie’s chance of a roster position.

yes, that's fabulous. Looking forward to seeing her play.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/21 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
I would start Sabally-Collier, with Kuier-Harrison off the bench.

If Kuier indeed comes over this year & plays, there's no point in keeping Alarie, cuz when will Alarie ever get minutes behind those very realistic tandems? Alarie (young w/ some experience & good upside), Mabrey (great season last year, still fairly young & super cheap this year), and Thornton (3 years of team control, all at cheap rates) should all be candidates to be on the trading block between now & the end of training camp if Vickie Johnson wants to keep all her rookies – as she should.

interesting thoughts. I kinda agree. Not sure they should want to move Alarie. Sabally can easily play some SF and it's good to have 5 posts. Also if you trade Thornton, she would need to play some SF. I really like Thornton, so if I were a Wings fan, wouldn't really want to move her. Realistically what team could take/sign/keep on a roster Thornton and Mabrey?

Shades

PostPosted: 04/19/21 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

April 18, 2021
Dallas Wings: Charli Collier – Sign Rookie Scale Contract
Dallas Wings: Awak Kuier – Sign Rookie Scale Contract

Kuier is on the clock.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 04/23/21 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching Arike's Russian Dynamo game today and she injured something on her right leg.

Go to 7.55 left in the 4th quarter and she is guarding Stewie/UMMC, on a switch, and gets twisted and lands hard. She seemed to hold her right calf or shin. Slow mo replay looks like her toe hits the floor and the leg twists. She had to be assisted off the floor by 2 trainers, not putting any weight on the right leg. She never came back to the bench.

Hope for the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_mwsf_dlps

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/23/21 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Watching Arike's Russian Dynamo game today and she injured something on her right leg.

Go to 7.55 left in the 4th quarter and she is guarding Stewie/UMMC, on a switch, and gets twisted and lands hard. She seemed to hold her right calf or shin. Slow mo replay looks like her toe hits the floor and the leg twists. She had to be assisted off the floor by 2 trainers, not putting any weight on the right leg. She never came back to the bench.

Hope for the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_mwsf_dlps

Thanks for posting , it looked to be her Ankle, but i did see her grab her calf! Rike is tough she will be good to go im sure !

PostPosted: 04/23/21 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as long as it's not an achilles rip. Those are nasty and take a long time to repair.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 13 of 23

Jump to: