RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/14/21 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They haven't moved away from 5-out. It's just a lower priority.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Didn't Hopkins or Kold say that they were basically moving away from the 5-out experiment? Couldn't tell you where but I swear I saw that recently. Anyhoo, Gray is a similar player to Howard in that she's best in the pick-and roll, which I believe they plan on utilizing often this season with Ionescu.

Yeah, like root said, they aren’t moving away from 5 out. They are just putting more emphasis on finding the right defensive players to fit their style. Which is ‘position less’ and switchable, and I feel some sort of post trap that has yet to be revealed but we will see.
Offensively they still want to find those open 3s (which we had plenty of last season just couldn’t make them 😂), get layups and to the free throw line.

PnR with Ionescu and Howard as you mentioned is a big part of that! Imagine Whitcomb and Laney in the corners/wings with a double screen from Howard and Onyenwere...Michaela popping out and Natasha rolling. Or swap out Michaela for Stokes or Allen.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 05/14/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wearing my Asia Durr jersey today over my Ionescu or Clarendon.
Even though I highly doubt anyone in San Diego knows her or the Liberty lol

I hope the NYL organization recognizes her in some way this season. Even if just showing snippets of how they are helping and supporting her in her recovery from this horrible virus that still plagues the world (India Crying or Very sad )
#ittakesateameffort

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/14/21 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great statement, bluedevil.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://netsrepublic.com/nyl-weekly-welcome-to-brooklyn-the-new-york-liberty-open-play-friday/

Quote:
Per the Liberty, the probable starting five tonight is Betnijah Laney, Michaela Onyenwere, Kylee Shook, Sami Whitcomb, and Sabrina Ionescu.

All capable 3pt threats. Let’s see how this small ball goes! Onyenwere likely on Lavender to start the game.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/14/21 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Omg. I can't believe they made a Maddie "passing the ball" commercial.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I have this right? That was our team... without Rebecca Allen... without Kiah Stokes... without NATASHA HOWARD... with Kylie Shook going against McGowan??? We spotted them 20 points and still somehow won.

Sabrina Ionescu is a complete joy to watch. I felt that right through the game, long before her heroics at the end. She plays this sport so beautifully.

What a terrific start for Laney! What an excellent first WNBA game for Onyenwere! So encouraging.

Interesting that Didi Richards was on the court for some crucial minutes late in the game.

But, please, Jonathan and Walt: we've got to have a better #3 post than Kylie Shook. I didn't think much of her play last year and tonight was a complete disaster. (Sure, stopping McGowan wouldn't be easy for anyone, but Shook was truly awful.) I'd rather see Reshanda Gray in that roster spot. I"d much rather see our #3 post be better than either of them.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like how he used Didi. She was in the right spots to shine and took advantage.

(now with spelling variations)
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/14/21 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For anyone who went to the game, how was the arena experience?

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/14/21 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

But, please, Jonathan and Walt: we've got to have a better #3 post than Kylie Shook. I didn't think much of her play last year and tonight was a complete disaster. (Sure, stopping McGowan wouldn't be easy for anyone, but Shook was truly awful.) I'd rather see Reshanda Gray in that roster spot. I"d much rather see our #3 post be better than either of them.

agree. it was pretty much miraculous for NY to win with a Shook v. McCowan post matchup. but the guards were just that much better! Yes NY needs to have a better #3 post. Doesn't need to be an allstar but at least competent. Gray looked a lot better than Shook tonight but better definitely needs to happen.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/14/21 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two more notes:

Sabrina Ionescu scored 25 points. EIGHT of those points came in the game's final 40 seconds!!!

Very intriguing move by Walt Hopkins. On what turned out to be the next-to-last possession for Indiana, Sabrina Ionescu was NOT on the court. Walt put Jazmine Jones out there instead. She and Laney harassed Mitchell into a devastating turnover. Great move by our coach.

P.S. Interesting distribution of minutes tonight. To the nearest minute, Laney 38, Ionescu 37, Onyenwere 29, Whitcomb 27, Shook 26, Jones 14, Gray 12, Richards 9, Holmes 5, Clarendon 3.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know what Layshia's deal was tonight, but they need to get their act together. The most experienced player on the team should not be making the kind of rookie mistakes Layshia was.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/15/21 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Onyenwere through her hat in the ROY conversation (and actually didn't look like a rookie at all. Poised and professional while playing hard).

Did Richards is going to be a fan favorite! Didi has a pro level skill with her defense.

Richards and Jones were subbed in offense/defense for two late plays with Ionescu and Whitcomb on the bench and they were very disruptive.

LibFan25

PostPosted: 05/15/21 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was a fun game😳 watching Laney through the whole game damn she is REALLY good.

We gotta protect Laney and Sabrina at all costs lol let's pray they don't get hurt and we will be a fun team to watch this year folks.

I hope the Liberty are on the phone checking in on Miss Mack, she is available and Lexie Brown... Clarendon look a mess I hope that was just 1 game

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 05/15/21 3:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

LibFan25 wrote:

I hope the Liberty are on the phone checking in on Miss Mack, she is available and Lexie Brown... Clarendon look a mess I hope that was just 1 game

What a fun way to start the season. I would really love to see Mack on our roster. 6’4 like Kylee with long arms, strong defensive player and a stronger rebounder than Shook.

Hoping Clarendon just had early season jitters after their top surgery and maybe some nerves. They have always struggled with turnovers but we can’t have that, we need that vet leadership and stability.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/15/21 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Did Richards is going to be a fan favorite! Didi has a pro level skill with her defense.

She's a very easy player to like.

Doing extra with her pre-game look will fit right in to New York

PostPosted: 05/15/21 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He knew he was going to call timeout after whatever Indiana did, so he made his defense better by taking Sabrina out. Then she goes in on the TO.

PostPosted: 05/15/21 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

After more than two years, it was finally great to be in a real basketball arena watching the Libs play and cheer them on in person. However, some of the changes made (due to covid protocol) contributed to the lack of excitement at times:
-Smaller crowd and everyone socially distant. With just over 1K in attendance, my section probably had about 10 fans.
-No on-court performances by dancers, mascots, or t-shirt throwers. Only the players were allowed on the floor. Dancers were relegated to stages behind the baskets.
-I preferred the incidental music and videos played at MSG. It's only been one game at Barclay's, so hopefully it will improve.
-In terms of getting into the arena, as long as you have your vax card/app and tickets ready to be scanned, it's an easy check-in and no waiting, especially with the smaller crowd.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/16/21 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was pondering the turnover in the Liberty roster with the combination of Kolb and Hopkins in charge. At the moment, there are 14 players on the Liberty roster. Here's the breakdown:

Kiah Stokes and Rebecca Allen are about to begin their 6th seasons for New York.

Six players will be in their second seasons in New York: Ionescu, Jones, Odom, Shook, Clarendon, and Gray. It would be Jocelyn Willougby's second season as well but, sad to say, that won't happen.

It will be the first season in New York for five players: Howard, Laney, Whitcomb, Onyenwere, and Richards.

Huge, badly needed housecleaning.

PostPosted: 05/16/21 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

After more than two years, it was finally great to be in a real basketball arena watching the Libs play and cheer them on in person. However, some of the changes made (due to covid protocol) contributed to the lack of excitement at times:
-Smaller crowd and everyone socially distant. With just over 1K in attendance, my section probably had about 10 fans.
-No on-court performances by dancers, mascots, or t-shirt throwers. Only the players were allowed on the floor. Dancers were relegated to stages behind the baskets.
-I preferred the incidental music and videos played at MSG. It's only been one game at Barclay's, so hopefully it will improve.
-In terms of getting into the arena, as long as you have your vax card/app and tickets ready to be scanned, it's an easy check-in and no waiting, especially with the smaller crowd.

Would it kill them to have a "Let's Go Liberty" sound clip? Or even something we can clap-clap-clapclapclap to? The defense ones are fine, but how are we supposed to get going on offense?

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/16/21 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Would it kill them to have a "Let's Go Liberty" sound clip? Or even something we can clap-clap-clapclapclap to? The defense ones are fine, but how are we supposed to get going on offense?

you could get a clip of the Atlanta guy's "every body clap your hands"...which drives me berserk somewhere around the third time he does it....to say nothing of the 50th time.

Randy

PostPosted: 05/16/21 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Queenie wrote:

you could get a clip of the Atlanta guy's "every body clap your hands"...which drives me berserk somewhere around the third time he does it....to say nothing of the 50th time.

I thought it was "Everybody crap your pants." Kind of fits with the way the Dream have been playing.....

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/16/21 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 05/16/21 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Queenie wrote:

That's a clip from the Cha Cha Slide by Mr C The Slide Man

PostPosted: 05/16/21 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, Liberty fans. Who predicted that our team, 2-20 last season, would now have a record of 2-0 without Howard and Stokes? If you predicted that, bravo!

Obviously lots to work on, especially 22 turnovers today. (Eight by Ionescu and six by Laney.) But there was so much to be excited about. Especially this. Indiana won the battle on the boards on Friday night by 45-28. Today it was 40-38 Indiana. McCowan scored 22 points on Friday night. Today only six.

(Note: I corrected my misspelling of McCowan's name thanks to Stormeo's post on another thread where I made the same blunder!)

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 05/16/21 6:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 36 of 69

Jump to: