RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

BLM protests have been overwhelmingly peaceful

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/04/20 5:17 pm    ::: BLM protests have been overwhelmingly peaceful Reply Reply with quote

https://acleddata.com/2020/09/03/demonstrations-political-violence-in-america-new-data-for-summer-2020/

Quote:
In more than 93% of all demonstrations connected to the movement, demonstrators have not engaged in violence or destructive activity. Peaceful protests are reported in over 2,400 distinct locations around the country.

PostPosted: 09/11/20 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My wife and I have attended some in Manhattan and Brooklyn (separately just in case either of us were arrested) and they were incredibly peaceful. In Brooklyn they even had a table setup at the start with free vegan snacks and bottles of water. I'm not vegan but I appreciated the effort of organizers.

I'll also add when marching through Brooklyn the residents of the various neighborhoods would walk out onto their stoops and wave and cheer and beat on homemade drums (pots and pans). I saw one very elderly white man who I'd bet my paycheck was a holocaust survivor standing on his stoop clapping while sobbing.

It has been incredibly moving to be a part of it all.

PostPosted: 09/19/20 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's the problem with that statistic...

"93% peaceful" is a number we're being given based on some calculation made for an article.
But let's just assume this number is accurate for arguments' sake.

That means the 7% of protestors out there are committing murder, arson, aggravated assault, etc.

What makes ANYONE think that 7% is an acceptable number? 7% is HIGH. Imagine if the protests back in April or May over the shutdown had a 7% murder rate. Most of you here would be losing your collective shit!

How many children alone have been murdered during these protests? That's acceptable? How many people have had their homes and businesses destroyed? How many of those people initially supported the protests? How many people died because they couldn't reach the hospital?

While no one supports police abusing their power, you can rest assured these riots are casting a shadow over everything else. Saying "93% peaceful" is being dismissive of the hardship caused to innocent people with no concern for others whatsoever.

93% doesn't even come close to cutting it. Too many children alone have been murdered over this, and people don't forget about stuff like that. I think you're all about to find out just how tired of this violence most people are in a few more weeks.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/19/20 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL

PostPosted: 09/19/20 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
That means the 7% of protestors out there are committing murder, arson, aggravated assault, etc.

What makes ANYONE think that 7% is an acceptable number?

You really have to separate the peaceful protestors from the opportunists who want to loot and the anarchists who just like to create havoc in general. It’s inaccurate to lump everyone together as protestors.

So what’s your acceptable solution, outlawing protests like the Autocrat in Chief seems to want to do? Protesting is a good thing. It keeps autocrats on their toes. Let’s them know when the people really aren’t happy. This country was built on protesting. It’s protected by the Constitution. Yeah, I know. Trumpers have little use for the Constitution, other than that redneck favorite, the second amendment. What’s your favorite solution for protests? Is it the heat Ray or tear gas? Or maybe you prefer mass arrests? How about just trying to fix the problems protestors are angry about? That would be a novel idea.

Now if you would posted....
Stonington_QB wrote:
That means the 7% of cops out there are committing murder, arson, aggravated assault, etc.

What makes ANYONE think that 7% is an acceptable number?

... that would have given me some hope. Trumpers finally seeing the light?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/21/20 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Here's the problem with that statistic...

"93% peaceful" is a number we're being given based on some calculation made for an article.
But let's just assume this number is accurate for arguments' sake.

Among all of the the other bizarrely wrong things you are saying, there is a huge difference between 93% of protests and 93% of protesters ....

tfan

PostPosted: 09/21/20 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cities should be on the hook to pay for any damage done during riots, including lost sales and wages. That would likely increase their desire to have the police prevent the damage. That is, lesson the "stand down" orders from mayors. If you are going to allow people to destroy property in order for them to "dissipate their anger" or however it might be characterized, be ready to pay for the property damage and lost income it causes to citizens who had nothing to do with the issue at hand, and are often struggling to make it after putting up a good chunk of their savings to start the busines.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/21/20 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to doubt trained professionals, but I'm not convinced that the police are the ideal people to entrust with resolving this particular issue.

PostPosted: 09/22/20 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Not to doubt trained professionals, but I'm not convinced that the police are the ideal people to entrust with resolving this particular issue.

I understand your concerns, but who are the appropriate people to deal with a bunch of people armed with bricks and baseball bats? (And I understand these cretins mostly weren't protestors but other scum intent on destruction and looting.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: