RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

George Floyd
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 06/12/20 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Shocked

$1M+ is a LOT even for a good cop who's not a murderer. That's a good gig!

Unions make a difference

PostPosted: 06/13/20 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/14/20 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barbra Streisand Helps George Floyd's Daughter Gianna, 6, Become a Disney Shareholder

Quote:
Gianna Floyd, the 6-year-old daughter of George Floyd, is now a Disney shareholder, thanks to Barbra Streisand.

On Saturday, the young girl thanked the singer for the gift with a post on her Instagram page, featuring a slideshow of photos displaying the letter and certificate she received in the mail. Streisand, 78, also sent Gianna two of her studio albums, My Name Is Barbra and Color Me Barbra.

"Thank You @barbrastreisand for my package, I am now a Disney Stockholder thanks to you šŸ„°šŸ„°šŸ„°," Gianna's post read, alongside a photo of her smiling with her certificate.

https://people.com/music/barbra-streisand-george-floyd-daughter-gianna-disney-shareholder/

PostPosted: 06/14/20 8:52 pm    ::: Re: George Floyd Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 06/16/20 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why Are Corporations REALLY Supporting the George Floyd Protests?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JPAaRsjDkC8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 06/16/20 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While it's a bit refreshing to hear "conservatives" speak with intelligence, these characters are nonetheless quite disingenuous in their contentions.

Examples: the initial assertion that Amazon is fomenting societal divisiveness for their profit margin is just disingenuous. IFF they are (and it's quite possible), they are only following in what is The American Way in that regard. If conservatives are upset about it, it's probably just that they're pissed off that a new generation is doing even better than they have.

His perspective on The 1619 Project is also rather biased -- true enough, historians have been debating major points of that work, but the moderator's conservative bias is clear.

PostPosted: 06/16/20 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
While it's a bit refreshing to hear "conservatives" speak with intelligence, these characters are nonetheless quite disingenuous in their contentions.

Examples: the initial assertion that Amazon is fomenting societal divisiveness for their profit margin is just disingenuous. IFF they are (and it's quite possible), they are only following in what is The American Way in that regard. If conservatives are upset about it, it's probably just that they're pissed off that a new generation is doing even better than they have.

His perspective on The 1619 Project is also rather biased -- true enough, historians have been debating major points of that work, but the moderator's conservative bias is clear.

Well, you know, I kind of find most of this a little curious.

First the labels, which are just now an inevitable fallback.

So I've known of Joe Rogan a long time, but have never consumed his content on his podcast until a few weeks ago. I have a mutual acquaintance who has been on his show and is a significant operator herself in that political space. I have absolutely no respect for her mind but one thing she does have going for her is that she's consistently right about things. But I don't think that's really all that hard. I think a lot of not that smart people who don't have great educations can consistently nail what's gone wrong in America. Shouldn't be that hard to think of someone who fits that description. Cool

I do know Rogan (and my 'friend' as well) have been labeled in a number of ways that they bristle at and they both maintain that they're holders of their own opinions and not beholden in any way to an ideology or tribe like conservatism and they have some pretty spirited ideas about the labels that are attached to them.

And they are, along with Matt Taibbi and Krystal Ball and Jimmy Dore and some people who identify with being on the left leading the way for those of us who are recoiling now against the thought enforcement mindset that now polices what is permissible political thought and how anyone who deviates from the approved narratives will be dealt with.

And of course, the way anyone now who wanders from the ultra progressive social media pitch has been for years 'dealt with' is by attaching damning and damaging labels like Trump supporter, racist, conservative, right-winger, xenophobe, etc.

So I think Joe Rogan does a pretty good job right now of sort of just operating in a place where he gives many different perspectives a chance to be aired on his show. He gently and calmly rips apart both sides when those guests are full of shit. And the show is sometimes three hours long so people can run through their standard talking points pretty quickly. And he does hold some opinions that many on the left have had problems with.

But so do I. And so I'm finding among this group I've discovered of late some kindred spirits who are saying things that I've been saying for years here on Rebkells.

The one thing I would not describe Joe Rogan as is by and large disingenuous, although I've already caught him being disingenuous, but that's just my opinion and that's just once so far. Once someone signs that $100M contract I believe the ability to speak the absolute truth is going to be impacted. But, I think he and those paying him know his brand and everyone will want to protect him doing what he's known for without deviating from what has made him so successful.

But my bet is it won't last for long. Because I've seen this movie before.

Because what *makes* Rogan's podcast is the same thing that *made* the original Imus in the Morning show and Morning Joe, for years, when it was emulating the Imus vibe, was the way they eschew allowing these talking points party-line types from either ideology to just rule the narrative as a feature. They want to hear what people honestly are thinking and they want people who are stepping out of the mainstream corporate controlled media and major political party narratives and they give them a LONG time to speak.

Saager is someone who I didn't know existed two months ago. He is partnered as a conservative counterpoint to Krystal Ball's progressive Bernie Sanders supporter presence and if you listen to the longer Rogan podcast featuring them explaining how she chose him to replace the original person in that seat, the principle requirement was can that person be honest, is that person going to be spouting and defending party line talking points or is he going to be able to admit the most evident truths that are now so hard to find coming from pundits and politicians and my experiences watching him is that he is certainly honest and anything but disingenuous in advocating his perspectives.

They would not have a show and the chemistry that they have if he were disingenuous. Sometimes he comes off a little young but that's about it. And he's certainly a brilliant young dude.

Krystal Ball is a progressive. She articulates on behalf of the working class with an old-school politics but stands behind many modern social justice issues if not entirely behind the tactics employed by those trying to enforce their thinking on the American people. She's way smarter than me, of course. And it's not that she sounds like she's been reading my shit on Rebkells, (some people do) but she is very often saying the same things I've been saying here for years. Just with more big words. So I'm a fan.

And let's step back for a second. All three of these people, and more, are taking on the powers that be in this country, the corporate media and who that media serves. They're taking them on. Picking them apart. Mocking them, etc. Telling the truth about them and what they're doing. That's what I see. And I'm saying it's a new day to see these fresh voices doing this and gaining followings and putting this perspective out there at this time when it appeared that all was lost to the SJWs and the thought police on our side who now have the mainstream media eating out of its hand. Or is it the other way around?

But I'll get into more of it in another thread.

PostPosted: 06/19/20 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XkGC1jdEtKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Force10rulz

PostPosted: 06/22/20 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iā€™m so tired of white men, murderers, white supremacy must end, white patriarchy needs to GO! so many racist police that tRump has let loose with his own racism. I canā€™t tell you how angry I am. #BlackNativeUnite #BlackLivesMatter White people need to get back in touch with their culture and fill that hole in their soul that makes them so hateful. That makes them think itā€™s alright to go around killing poc, committing genocide, stealing other peopleā€™s country. cultural appropriation, fix yourselves before you destroy the world.

PostPosted: 06/23/20 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DFSRi68YwzI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 07/08/20 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Officer to Floyd: ā€˜It takes ... a lot of oxygen to talkā€™
https://apnews.com/24f07a3f4c803166a4292c774f451f25

Quote:
As George Floyd told Minneapolis police officers that he couldnā€™t breathe more than 20 times in the moments before he died, the officer who pressed his knee against Floydā€™s neck dismissed his pleas, saying ā€œit takes a heck of a lot of oxygen to talk,ā€ according to transcripts of body camera video recordings made public Wednesday.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/09/20 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
so many white people, so many assholes.

Miss you Cth!

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 07/10/20 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago Police Department arrest API shutdown is its own kind of ā€˜cover upā€™

https://www.chicagoreporter.com/chicago-police-department-arrest-api-shutdown-is-its-own-kind-of-cover-up/

Quote:
CPD had released figures stating that the majority of arrests made on the weekend of May 29 were for criminal conduct related to looting, not protesting.

But by using CPDā€™s own data from the arrest API, we found the opposite to be true: the majority of civil unrest-related arrests made that weekend had been for offenses related to protesting.

Within a day of our publishing this analysis, CPD removed access to the API for all users.

PostPosted: 07/10/20 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight, are you implying that hackneyed old refutation of "Police organizations are far above any possible chicanery!" theory again?

Razz

PostPosted: 07/15/20 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7_uorXE9Mrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 08/09/20 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YPSwqp5fdIw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 10/15/20 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WQB-yWwREOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 03/08/21 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LKjKqYqiFII" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 04/20/21 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The verdict is in. Donā€™t know what it is yet but a quick decision like this would seem to favor the prosecution.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/20/21 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like they're giving everybody one last hour to board up their windows and such

PostPosted: 04/20/21 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Count 1: Guilty
Count 2: Guilty
Count 3: Guilty

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/20/21 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Relieved and happy. I wasn't hopeful, so this is almost a bit shocking.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saw this making the rounds on twitter: the police department's original statement.

Think of all the statements just like this that have slipped into history unquestioned and unnoticed. That sterile, formulaic language meant to cover up any possibility of negligence is so chilling.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/20/21 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely in agreement with these verdicts. Never before heard of ā€œunintentional murderā€ but if that was what was deemed necessary to help ensure this outcome then good job with the wording of the charges. This really bad copā€™s actions killed many more people than just George Floyd so society should be finished with him and he should sit in jail for the rest of his life.

PostPosted: 04/20/21 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Relieved to see the news today.
So obvious, yet I still was kinda bracing myself for something crazy. So phew! on that.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: