RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

IRS will require facial-recognition to access online system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/27/22 8:05 pm    ::: IRS will require facial-recognition to access online system Reply Reply with quote

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2022/01/21/IRS-taxpayers-facial-recognition/3361642779267/

Quote:
The Internal Revenue Service will require taxpayers to take selfies and verify their identities through ID.me to access online accounts starting this summer.

PostPosted: 01/27/22 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what in the absolute nope

(now with spelling variations)
tfan

PostPosted: 01/28/22 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Other tools will transition to use the platform over the next year.

Getting difficult to login to my financial accounts from my computer/tablet without having phone handy these days. They want to send a text or get a number from an authenticator app (Authy, Google Authenticator, ...). I guess passwords can't cut it anymore. Or maybe they never did. Although I have some financial accounts that have never made me change the password in over a decade. That's despite most sites making me do it, either routinely, or more commonly due to some security issue like an attempted login from some other state.

Anyway, this probably wouldn't change that since the facial recognition wouldn't work on my non-laptop computer. Or maybe I would just need to get a web cam.

But what a nightmare it would be if the IRS or other government agency software didn't recognize your face. Some of those government agency phone trees have you on hold for a long time and then break in with "we're too busy now, call back later".

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/28/22 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a co-worker that has to use a phone app to remote start her car. A lot of evenings, she is standing there waiting for it to recognize her face so that she can log in and finish the process. Sometimes, she just gives up and goes out to a cold, snowy, icy car. Meanwhile, I push a button for three seconds and am good to go!! Car is warming up while I'm getting coat and hat on. I drive away and she's sitting in the parking lot.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/28/22 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I lost access to mobile/online banking of any sort when my bank instituted a text-requiring 2-factor authentication system, because there's no reliable cell service here. Now if I need to know something about my account, I have to use a landline to call the bank, and I now have to pay for paper statements again. The bank's recommendation? Take my laptop and phone to a place with public wi-fi and cell service if I want to use online banking. How is that an improvement in security? Huge step backwards all around.

I'm very leary of providing my face and/or fingerprints to any third-party website because when they get hacked, and they will, it's going to be a nightmare to prevent identity theft.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/28/22 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

id.me claims to be Virginia based, but .me is the country code for Montenegro. Your information will be sent to the Balkans.

PostPosted: 01/28/22 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
id.me claims to be Virginia based, but .me is the country code for Montenegro. Your information will be sent to the Balkans.

From Wikipedia...

Quote:
ID.me offers numerous identity verification products.[10] For "high-assurance" identity verification, the company verifies personal and financial data, including drivers' licenses, passports, and social security numbers.[25] Users must also take a video selfie with their phones, using the ID.me photo app.[26] Users may also need to unlock their credit reports.[27] If ID.me fails to verify users through this information, users are directed to talk to a "Trusted Referee" video call.[28] ID.me has stirred controversy due to long delays on its video call line.[29]

As part of its identification system, the company collects a wide range of personal information, including photographs and identification documents.[30] The company verifies information by sending it to a number of "government agencies, telecommunications networks, financial institutions" and other companies which the company trusts and considers reliable.[30] The company treats Internet Protocol addresses and unique device identifiers as non-personally identifiable, and releases them to third parties, along with location, occupation, language, the list of pages browsed at ID.me, and the URLs visited before and after using ID.me.

Nope, nope, nope.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/28/22 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I don’t think businesses outside of the relevant country should be allowed to use that country code. They started selling .co addresses as a substitute for the crowded .com world and then it turns out that .co is the country code of Columbia.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/29/22 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For some smaller countries with nifty web country codes (like Tuvalu's .tv or Micronesia's .fm), selling that access is part of their budget.

(now with spelling variations)
Howee

PostPosted: 01/30/22 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please let me die before all this is 'mandatory'. As long as I have my small town bank with its staff that knows and greets me personally, I'm happy. Yes, that's an illusion of sorts - I still utilize online banking, credit cards, etc. - but I prefer to live my own personal Mayberry.

PostPosted: 01/31/22 6:37 pm    ::: Re: IRS will require facial-recognition to access online sys Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2022/01/21/IRS-taxpayers-facial-recognition/3361642779267/

Quote:
The Internal Revenue Service will require taxpayers to take selfies and verify their identities through ID.me to access online accounts starting this summer.

You don't need facial recognition to use ID.me Just a username, password and they send you a numeric code to your phone. I know this as I use ID.me to access the VA.

When this supposedly comes into effect in the summer, we shall see, but I'm doubting it.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/07/22 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IRS is dropping facial recognition.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/national/irs-halts-plan-to-require-facial-recognition-for-logging-in-to-user-accounts/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: