Board Junkies Forums

2022 FIBA Women's World Cup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/07/22 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Thanks for moving the quote somewhere else Luuuc. I wasn't quite sure where it should go and just end up in the Olympics section with the Opals.

Probably the better place for it, but also a place most people wouldn't see it.

lynxmania wrote:
But yikes at that comment. O'Hea did not seem happy at all with how it went down and she certainly didn't hide it much.

O'Hea has been holding onto the derailment of her team's Olympic campaign for almost a year, which to me is probably going too far with taking the high road. I'm glad she finally got some of that off her chest, and I'm happy to hear that the future direction of the team will apparently stay on its current, Liz-free, course.

PostPosted: 05/07/22 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While honest, I thought O'Hea was relatively diplomatic. She knows as well as anyone that Cambage was their best chance at international level, but she also knows just how much rope and how many chances Cambage was given over the years. I don't blame her in the slightest for being utterly sick of it all, and she's not even on the team any more.

She talks about preparation for the World Cup, though. Not sure how great the preparation is going to be if multiple key Aussies make meaningful runs in the WNBA playoffs and barely even arrive in time for the tournament, never mind to practice for it.

PostPosted: 05/09/22 3:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some more follow-up from aussie basketball royalty, Andrew Gaze. It takes a bit to fire him up this much.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jUXW3hNOVa0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 05/10/22 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Some more follow-up from aussie basketball royalty, Andrew Gaze. It takes a bit to fire him up this much.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jUXW3hNOVa0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WOW! Strong words from the Aussies. Don’t like one teammate dissing on another. Not many teams like that.

~rAf
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/13/22 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First Russia getting kicked out, now Nigeria withdrawing.

Quote:
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the immediate withdrawal of Nigeria from all international basketball competitions for a period of two years with immediate effect.
Sunday Dare, the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, disclosed this while briefing newsmen on Thursday in Abuja.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/05/fg-suspends-basketball-in-nigeria-for-two-years/

PostPosted: 05/13/22 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sounds like Nigeria wants to develop its own players internally. I looked up the Nigerian Olympic team that Cambage told to "go back to your third-world country." Nine of the players are American, two went to high school in the United States, and all twelve attended college in the USA. So, Liz should have more appropriately said, "Go back to your first-world country!" Nonetheless, you can see why Nigeria wants to develop more home-grown talent.

PostPosted: 05/13/22 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depends whether they want to win or not. Probably going to be a much longer process trying to develop players within Nigeria than finding Americans with enough Nigerian heritage to qualify who are alreday pretty decent.

Meanwhile, when it comes to the 2022 Worlds, last I heard FIBA hadn't even officially announced who's replacing Russia (even though Puerto Rico appear to be the only ones who make sense). I guess Mali would be the most likely invites to replace Nigeria, both because they were in their qualifying group and to keep the global element of having a team from every continent. But the tournament's in about 4 months, so might be worth speeding things up...

PostPosted: 05/13/22 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
It sounds like Nigeria wants to develop its own players internally. I looked up the Nigerian Olympic team that Cambage told to "go back to your third-world country." Nine of the players are American, two went to high school in the United States, and all twelve attended college in the USA. So, Liz should have more appropriately said, "Go back to your first-world country!" Nonetheless, you can see why Nigeria wants to develop more home-grown talent.

...should she, though? All things considered?

(yes, I realize that a: this is not Area 51 and b: the designation of countries as First World/Second World/Third World derives from the choosing of sides or lack of choosing during the Cold War and is thus antiquated, but I choose to believe that Ms. Cambage spoke more allegorically than historically)

PostPosted: 05/13/22 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In context, Cambage's line did not make any sense.

I wonder in these extraordinary circumstances if FIBA would recognize a Nigerian federation that is not government approved. They rarely field youth teams and generally do not host games in Nigeria. Coaches of both teams are almost always already based in the United States and they train there and even the famed men's social media manager is American. Almost all of their first-choice players on both teams do not reside in Nigeria, and a good portion of them have never even been there. I think that the person who identified a lot of the American-born players over the years for them is also American.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/19/22 6:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see that Puerto Rico are now listed as one of the 12 teams competing.
Evidently they were named yesterday as Russia's replacement.
https://www.fiba.basketball/news/fiba-decisions-on-russia-and-belarus-for-upcoming-competitions

Competition schedule: https://www.fiba.basketball/womensbasketballworldcup/2022/games

Nigeria still on the list atm.

PostPosted: 05/21/22 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@nbbfonline wrote:
Appeal from @DtigressNG

We, as the Women’s National Team of Nigeria would like to speak on the government's recently placed two year ban on all Nigerian Basketball International competitions. The D'Tigress team would like to state that we do not agree with this ban.

This ban is taking away all our future competitions, accomplishments and goals to elevate, inspire, and make Nigeria proud!

We would like to be given the opportunity to play for our country that we passionately love to represent in this upcoming @FIBA @FIBAWWC competition.

We have worked very hard to be 3x Afrobasket Champions, Olympians and now we are blessed with another opportunity to continue that representation for Nigeria.

We want Nigerian Basketball to continue to grow and succeed on every level; from the local leagues, grassroots and even on the international stage! We believe that all levels of Nigerian basketball can excel with the proper attention, togetherness, and organization.

Our team is a testament to how successful Nigerian Basketball can be and how we have been an inspiration to all Nigerian athletes across the globe.

We wish to express our gratitude to all the coaches, medical staff, organizers, and fans.

This ban not only penalizes us but you all as well. Your commitment and loyalty to our team will never go unnoticed.

Our goal is to play and represent Nigeria proudly! We, as the Nigerian Women’s National Team plea for the reversal of the International Basketball ban for Nigeria. We hope to be heard! Thank you.

Yours truly,
D'Tigress

Twitter thread link

PostPosted: 05/21/22 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
@nbbfonline wrote:
Appeal from @DtigressNG

We, as the Women’s National Team of Nigeria would like to speak on the government's recently placed two year ban on all Nigerian Basketball International competitions. The D'Tigress team would like to state that we do not agree with this ban.

This ban is taking away all our future competitions, accomplishments and goals to elevate, inspire, and make Nigeria proud!

We would like to be given the opportunity to play for our country that we passionately love to represent in this upcoming @FIBA @FIBAWWC competition.

We have worked very hard to be 3x Afrobasket Champions, Olympians and now we are blessed with another opportunity to continue that representation for Nigeria.

We want Nigerian Basketball to continue to grow and succeed on every level; from the local leagues, grassroots and even on the international stage! We believe that all levels of Nigerian basketball can excel with the proper attention, togetherness, and organization.

Our team is a testament to how successful Nigerian Basketball can be and how we have been an inspiration to all Nigerian athletes across the globe.

We wish to express our gratitude to all the coaches, medical staff, organizers, and fans.

This ban not only penalizes us but you all as well. Your commitment and loyalty to our team will never go unnoticed.

Our goal is to play and represent Nigeria proudly! We, as the Nigerian Women’s National Team plea for the reversal of the International Basketball ban for Nigeria. We hope to be heard! Thank you.

Yours truly,
D'Tigress

Twitter thread link

FIBA's letter:
https://twitter.com/nbbfonline/status/1528031114828386304
lynxmania

PostPosted: 05/28/22 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Latest update on Cambage and her meltdown

https://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/liz-cambage-called-nigerian-players-monkeys-slapped-rival-in-the-face/news-story/013353c7eabbc113b56cbc35ddeaa628

Quote:
In the ensuing mayhem Cambage slaps another Nigerian player across the face and racially vilifies the entire African team by labelling them “monkeys” and telling them to “go back to your third world country”.

PostPosted: 05/28/22 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But also apparently accused her Australian teammates of being racists. Either something doesn't add up with the stories or, for the love of God, Liz, see a psychologist.

PostPosted: 05/28/22 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's interesting to me how long this took to come out, given how quickly after the event it had unofficially spread around.

Quote:
Cambage told Nigerian players before the practice match that she wished she was playing for Nigeria because her Australian teammates were racist.
That part is pretty special.

PostPosted: 05/28/22 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/sir_richmond20/status/1530702785041379328?s=21&t=xOA4DagLX0epYv4GVmeiSw

Video of Cambage elbowing her defender. It cuts off before when I assume the verbal altercation began.

PostPosted: 05/28/22 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queen Egbo must have gotten the article early sometime last night.

With no clear idea about whether Nigeria will actually field a national team anytime soon, I guess there is no point in speculating whether they will be allowed to field any other players who represented the United States at the youth level.
bryan_february_

PostPosted: 05/29/22 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She should be suspended for those racist "monkey" comments. And I'm surprised (almost disappointed) that her outspoken Nigerian teammates haven't spoken on it.

PostPosted: 06/02/22 6:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
@nbbfonline wrote:
Appeal from @DtigressNG

Yours truly,
D'Tigress

Twitter thread link

FIBA's letter:
https://twitter.com/nbbfonline/status/1528031114828386304

Mali has now officially been invited to take Nigeria's place at the tournament.

https://www.fiba.basketball/womensbasketballworldcup/2022/news/fiba-decision-on-nigerias-participation-in-the-fiba-womens-basketball-world-cup-2022

PostPosted: 06/21/22 4:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LJ has been added to the extended Opals World Cup squad

(paywalled) https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/womens-basketball/lauren-jackson-makes-remarkable-opals-comeback-for-basketball-world-cup/news-story/26f97de8034271f9f506d48648db3c67

Quote:
Lauren Jackson is a step closer to a sensational international comeback, earning selection in the Opals squad ahead of September's Women’s World Cup in Sydney.
Australia’s greatest ever basketballer, 41, will participate in a national team camp in Canberra next week, 25 years after she was first picked for the Australian team.
The four-time Olympic medallist and 2006 World champion, who last played for Australia in 2013, returned to the court for Albury Wodonga in NBL1 this season and has undergone rigorous testing to put herself in contention.
Jackson received the green light this week with Opals coach, and former Australian teammate, Sandy Brondello delivering the news from the US via Zoom.

PostPosted: 06/21/22 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow that would be great if she could play for her homecrowd. Comeback of the century! Lets hope she stays healthy!

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant

Last edited by Michelle89 on 06/23/22 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 06/21/22 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LJ Shocked

When will Team USA’s roster be announced?

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 06/21/22 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go LJ!!!!! (except against us Wink )

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 06/23/22 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so with LJ coming back, who's the starting point guard for the Opals now?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/23/22 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:
so with LJ coming back, who's the starting point guard for the Opals now?

PG is a problem for the Opals these days.

Whitcomb will likely start in that role.

Wallace will probably spend some time there too, and after that we're still waiting to find out which "actual" PG ends up being selected once the camps are lead-up games are done.
Maddison Rocci seems to be the favourite right now. Shyla Heal and Jade Melbourne are good chances of making the team as well, but aren't really PGs either. SGs masquerading as PGs often isn't a big deal, but in recent games against Japan it was a real problem any time they decided to pressure us. Turnover city.
If it looks like LJ is going to make it then maybe we should also defrost Kristi Harrower or Tully Bevilaqua.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: