RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 11/30/21 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sick leave is sick leave. Your employer shouldn't be arbitrating what kinds of illness are acceptable.

Perhaps not, but I did hear of a bank in Indiana that offered $200 to employees that DID get the vaccine, while telling those that refuse the vaccine that their insurance premiums are going up significantly. That seems fair.

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I wonder if any of the states facing big surges now are testing for Omicron yet.

It'd be pretty stupid to NOT be looking for it. I think it's absurd to believe that, as of today, we don't yet have it here, given its global spread already. We just haven't identified it yet.

I was just reminiscing about how, in March of 2020, I was (we all were?) so anxious about what might happen, but....for weeks and months, I didn't hear of anyone I knew that was affected. Now - nearly 2 years later - they're all around me, in my small community. Friends, neighbors, everything from strapping young men on death's door, to the compromised and elderly who barely felt any symptoms. What an utterly bizarre force of nature. Or "hoax". Take yer pick.

PostPosted: 11/30/21 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
My unvaxxed supervisor and his unvaxxed wife both had COVID a couple of weeks ago. Got an 8 day paid vacati, I mean, missed 8 days of work that put a strain on those were vaxxed and still working. Symptoms were minimal, but the cough required testing and it was positive.

Kind of pisses me off. There's a part of me that says that if you're unvaxxed and test positive, that your time off is unpaid. Take those wages and give them to the people that have to pick up extra work to keep things running.

Well, my unvaxxed supervisor had to start the vax process. Got the first shot and missed another day of work due to the side-effects.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/01/21 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Omicron detected in Calif. Shocking. I'm sure it's throughout the US by now.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/07/21 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Early indications are that the Omicron is significantly less severe than previous variants

PostPosted: 12/07/21 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Early indications are that the Omicron is significantly less severe than previous variants

It seems a really good sign.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/09/21 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, this is certainly reassuring...

The world is unprepared for the next pandemic, study finds

Quote:
Not a single country scored well on the Global Health Security index -- a measure of preparedness for various health emergencies and problems put together by the Nuclear Threat Initiative and the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security at the Bloomberg School of Public Health.

"The 2021 GHS Index continues to show that all countries still lack some critical capacities, which hinders their ability to respond effectively to COVID-19 and reduces their preparedness for future epidemic and pandemic threats. The average country score in 2021 was 38.9 out of 100, which is essentially unchanged from 2019," the report reads. The highest overall score was just under 76 -- achieved by the United States.

The worst area of preparedness is in preventing the emergence of new pathogens such as the virus that has caused the current pandemic. "The global average for the prevention of the emergence or release of pathogens is 28.4 out of 100, making it the lowest-scoring category within the GHS Index," the report reads. It finds 113 countries "show little to no attention" to diseases transmitted from animals to humans.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/08/health/world-unprepared-pandemic-report/index.html
https://www.ghsindex.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/2021_GHSindexFullReport_Final.pdf

Howee

PostPosted: 12/09/21 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^^This^^ lends some credence to a theory I've entertained recently: The Earth, as a dynamic, living, breathing entity in its own right, is putting forth a valiant effort to rid itself of the parasites (humans) that are causing its own maladies. I'd say highly communicable inter-species pathogens are a most effective way to do that. And notice, it's the humans that are suffering most from this current iteration. Hmmmm..... Shocked

PostPosted: 12/15/21 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yesterday, today, tomorrow...we will have reached 800,000 people dead of COVID - 19.

That is an amazing number. I've been using US cities to give an idea of how large that is. There aren't any cities that are really close to that number in population. A city of 800,000 would fall between the 17th and 18th largest cities in the US. Between Seattle and San Francisco.

Seattle has 776,000 population and San Francisco has 883,000.

I saw a headline the other day that we would surely reach 1 million before too long. CDC says that the current number dying daily is 1,350. Assuming that number stays the same (sadly, it will probably go up after the holidays) we will reach 1 million deaths in mid-May (so probably sometime mid to late April). That would bring us to the 11th largest city in the US, San Jose with a population of 1,009,000.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/15/21 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I did a quick look back at some of the other 'milestones' recorded here. These are approximate dates only. They are the date that I posted that we were approaching a number or a quick guess to a time period referenced in another post. The CDC and the media seem to have different ways of marking the actual date. Yesterday, I was seeing that we had passed 800,000 while the CDC was showing 796,000.

300,000 - 12/15/2020
350,000 - 1/3/2021
500,000 - 3/?/2021
550,000 - 4/1/2021
600,000 - 6/15/2021
700,000 - 10/2/2021
800,000 - 12/15/2021
900,000 - ?
1,000,000 - ?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/15/21 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of those deaths could have been prevented if people hadn't decided they were tired of masks and social distancing and that their rights were being violated by getting a vaccine. The US version of this pandemic is as much about human behavior as it is virology and healthcare.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/15/21 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meanwhile, we have this nonsense: antivaxxers staging what they're calling a sit-in at the Cheesecake Factory in Queens.

They're apparently coming back tonight, which... fantastic, I have to pass that on the way home, they better be done with their chucklefuckery before I get there.

PostPosted: 12/15/21 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since they have no qualms about serving as incubators for more mutated strains and depriving other people of health care, I don't see why we should expect their behavior to improve around cheesecake.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/15/21 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meanwhile, it appears as though the Omicron varient is already losing steam. Cases are already dropping in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana. Though more easily transmissible, the longevity of this varient appears to be short-lived.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 12/15/21 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Omicron spreading rapidly in U.S. and could bring punishing wave as soon as January, CDC warns
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/12/14/omicron-us-spread/

Quote:
The CDC briefing Tuesday detailed two scenarios for how the omicron variant may spread through the country. The worst-case scenario has spooked top health officials, who fear that a fresh wave, layered on top of delta and influenza cases in what one described as “a triple whammy,” could overwhelm health systems and devastate communities, particularly those with low vaccination rates.
“I’m a lot more alarmed. I’m worried,” said Marcus Plescia, chief medical officer for the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, who participated in the call. The CDC, normally cautious in its messaging, told the public health officials that “we got to get people ready for this,” he said.
He noted that the omicron surge, if it materializes as forecast, would be taking place as delta continues its onslaught and during the time of year when influenza cases often peak.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/15/21 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would guess we're going to see more flu cases than last year, simply because people have given up masking and social distancing. That alone is going to cripple our hospitals.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 12/15/21 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I would guess we're going to see more flu cases than last year, simply because people have given up masking and social distancing. That alone is going to cripple our hospitals.

It was amazing to me how much better masking and social distancing was in Guadalajara than Denver last week.

tfan

PostPosted: 12/15/21 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trying to compare the USA coronavirus effects with Europe but don't see Worldometer accumulating stats for Europe. Not sure how much accuracy there is with regard to what I found:

Quote:
Daily statistics in Europe
There have been at least 79,117,000 reported infections and 1,770,000 reported deaths caused by the novel coronavirus in Europe so far.

https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/regions/europe/

The population of Europe is shown in a Bing search as 742.65 million (2018). That must include all the people in the boundary of what is considered the continent of Europe which is only part of Russia (which must screw things up to some extent) and all of Ukraine and the rest of Eastern Europe.

The population of USA is 333,855,587 as of 2020 per Worldometer.

Using those figures makes the USA population 44% of continental Europe. Deaths of 823,390 in the USA are 46.6% of the 1,770,000 given by Reuters for "Europe". So, close, if these figures are appropriate. But who knows what the differences are in obesity, age and other health issues and in medical care which should effect deaths. The infection rate in the USA is notably higher. However the amount of testing is going to be a factor in that. The USA has had 51,290,979 infections which is 65% of Europe's 79,117,000.

Last edited by tfan on 12/16/21 2:04 am; edited 5 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 12/15/21 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw a scientist (not medical/biology) talking about "herd immunity" and they used a formula to calculate it based on the amount of people infected (or vaccinated) on average by an infected person. (Although that counts on immunity being long lasting, which doesn't appear to be the case). It is 1 - 1/infection-rate. The stuff before Delta was given in this video as infecting 2 to 3 people (they have it here as 3.0). Delta was said to be 5 to 9 people (they have it here as 5 to 7). It has been said that Delta was more infectious than anything beyond measles. Measles is said to have infected people infecting another 12 to 18 people.

But while they mostly or totally seem to think Omicron is more infectious than Delta, it doesn't look like they have estimated a transmission rate yet.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/17/21 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fort Wayne Walmart closing for cleaning and restocking due to high number of cases. Closed from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning. If my math is correct, 40 hours.

So, are they taking everything off of the shelves, throwing it away, cleaning the shelves and then restocking; or are they taking everything off of the shelves running it under UV light, cleaning the shelves and restocking; or are they just taking it off of the shelves, cleaning the shelves and putting the product back on the shelves??

https://www.wane.com/top-stories/maysville-road-walmart-temporarily-closed-for-cleaning/

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/17/21 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the Rockettes are cancelled. Again.

https://www.wane.com/home-for-the-holidays/rockettes-cancel-annual-christmas-spectacular-early-due-to-covid-19/

tfan

PostPosted: 12/18/21 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Fort Wayne Walmart closing for cleaning and restocking due to high number of cases

Haven't heard anything like this for a while. Cleaning things due to the virus seems to have died out. We did have at least one supermarket around here close with that in mind after they had some infected employees. And I remember when the local hockey arena was reassuring people that they were really scrubbing the place between games. Although the county health department canceled all gatherings over 250 shortly after that. Then there was my dentist where they repeatedly assured me that they are scrubbing and cleaning anything I would touch (and the dentist was irritated that I wore blue latex gloves - so I could take them off and get into my car with clean hands). But since I sit there with my mouth wide open for 20 minutes, I have other concerns.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/26/22 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will another devastating variant follow Omicron? Experts debate COVID-19 future, ‘endgame’

Quote:
But one thing is clear: Scientists generally say it’s too early to declare an “endgame” for COVID-19.

Quote:
It’s possible that high infection rates could bring about a new variant that could be more resistant to existing immunity and vaccines. And that’s why it’s so important to make progress on a vaccine that can work on all coronaviruses; oral and nasal vaccines that can help block transmission by building immunity in our mucous; and to ramp up mass production of anti-COVID-19 pills that are probably variant-proof, Topol wrote.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/02/22 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Denmark scraps all COVID laws

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/land-covid-now-no-worse-cold/

Quote:
As far as community health is concerned, Covid is now on a par with the common cold.

PostPosted: 02/02/22 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/land-covid-now-no-worse-cold/

Quote:
As far as community health is concerned, Covid is now on a par with the common cold.

Denmark has an enviable vaccination rate of 82%, which is preventing their healthcare system from being overwhelmed like the US.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/02/22 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

That sentiment is probably from Tyra Grove Krause, director of infection preparedness at Denmark’s infectious diseases agency SSI, although the author wasn’t clear on that. As much as we would like it to be true, I don't think global health authorities would agree with that. If she tweeted that it would probably get taken down. Although there doesn't appear to be any data on "deaths from the common cold". In one answer I found it was stated that if the cold viruses go from the upper respiratory track to the lower and become more serious the condition gets renamed. Including to pneumonia.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 97 of 100

Jump to: