RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2019 WNBA Trading Card Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA Collectibles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard 77

PostPosted: 07/27/19 11:07 pm    ::: 2019 WNBA Trading Card Review Reply Reply with quote

Donruss 2019 WNBA Trading Card set review.

It’s been several years since I’ve had the opportunity to review a set of WNBA trading cards. I haven’t purchased a collection after 2014 when I became uninterested in saving my money for factory sets. Sets that take all the work out of collecting and sorting cards. The fun of collecting cards is in the opening of individual packs and anticipating what one finds inside, not opening up a box and seeing cards compiled in order with no surprises and no excitement.

This year, women’s basketball card collectors have seen a change in companies regarding the WNBA card license, going from Rittenhouse to Donruss and I was happily ready to see what the new set was going to be like. The new 2019 WNBA cards have some surprises and a couple of drawbacks.

Seeing the box for the first time, I discovered the first difference. The box, which priced at $85.00, contained four, and only four packs of cards, with thirty cards in each pack. For 120 cards per box, the odds were not looking good to collect the one-hundred card base set. True enough, when all four packs were opened, I was short twelve cards to a complete set. It may not have been a factory set, but it might as well have been if collectors need to buy at least two boxes to get one set. In the past, one needed to buy more than one box to complete a set, but to short a box just twelve cards from a set? For the above price, add 5 more cards to each pack and allow collectors to get a set from one box.

As for the quality of the base set, the photography is standard fare, with the player thankfully taking up most of the photo area. (In years past, some card sets had photos of players and a lot of empty card space.) Names of the players are printed at the top of the card in gold print, which some are difficult to read as they blend in with the team colors. Gold on yellow is particularly hard to read. Regarding the backs of the cards, the type font is small and black, and is also hard to read on some of the team colors. The stats are for only the 2018 season or a player’s overall career. But in all, the design of the card is solid, yet a bit of work could be done in improving the back of them. Rookie cards complete the base set, numbering from cards 89 to 100, and I was fortunate to get all of the rookies.

Turning to the inserts and chase parallel cards, my box contained the following: Three parallel base set cards – Press Proofs - A’ja Wilson (50/199) and Nneka Ogwumike (9/199) white border, Jessica Breland (5/10) gold border.

Six parallel base set cards – Optics - sort of like the old prism cards.

Three Retro Series (and the three to see – Lobo, Swoopes, Leslie).

Two League Leader cards (Diggins-Smith and Moore).

Two Swishful Thinking (J. Loyd and a Press Proof Bird (112/199).

Four Express Lane. Two “The Rookies” (J. Young and A. Durr).

Four Franchise Features (Taurasi, Hayes, Diggings-Smith, and Press Proof Fowles (133/199)).

Four All-Stars (Diggins-Smith 54/99).

Two Signature Series Autographs (T. Edwards and Cynthia Cooper-Dyke gold border 3/10).

The Best: Signature Series, The Rookies, The Optics, The Base Set Parallels. The Good: The Retro Series. The Meh: Everything else. In conclusion, Donruss did okay their first time out with the WNBA. But there is certainly room for improvement.

Base Set: B
Inserts: B-
Press Proof Gold Border: A+
Overall score: B

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/28/19 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the review.
Richard 77

PostPosted: 08/10/19 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Need to downgrade the set to a C. I bought 4 boxes total product. Only one set completed out of 480 cards. Terrible collation. Also got a Tina Charles Signature Series 8/10

Brianna Stewart, A'ja Wilson, Angel McCoughtry and Lynette Woodard common autos.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 08/11/19 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
Need to downgrade the set to a C. I bought 4 boxes total product. Only one set completed out of 480 cards. Terrible collation. Also got a Tina Charles Signature Series 8/10

Brianna Stewart, A'ja Wilson, Angel McCoughtry and Lynette Woodard common autos.

Ouch that's not a good thing to only get one set through four boxes.

There seemed to be a lot of Katie Smith cards in this set. I've got one, just won another and still working on the autograph card. Also, it seems there's a Panini Hall of Fame card for her as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA Collectibles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: