RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2020/2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/19/21 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Young has actually played a bunch of 3x3 and has the rating necessary (unlike Laney).

What does "the rating" refer to?

Not an expert here, but I think you can play in various qualifying tournaments, at which good performances can earn you 'points' that bolster your rating. Two players on every countries four-person 3x3 roster have to be rated in the top 10 of all available players or something like that. I think the rule is intended to reward players who have invested time in 3x3 specifically and also prevent countries who have qualified using a certain group of players from casting them aside in favor of 'better' basketball players who have never actually played 3x3.

I hesitate to post because I certainly have some details wrong here but you can gather the main idea.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/19/21 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Young has actually played a bunch of 3x3 and has the rating necessary (unlike Laney).

If you go here - https://play.fiba3x3.com/players?show=women - and put United States in as a nationality, you'll get a list. You needed 3,600 points on that list to be eligible for the team (two also had to be in the top ten, but they have that in Plum and Gray).

So they technically had about 60 players to choose from, but a lot of them are people I've never heard of, and I imagine people even most dedicated American women's basketball fans have never heard of.

PostPosted: 07/19/21 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

If you go here - https://play.fiba3x3.com/players?show=women - and put United States in as a nationality, you'll get a list. You needed 3,600 points on that list to be eligible for the team (two also had to be in the top ten, but they have that in Plum and Gray).

So they technically had about 60 players to choose from, but a lot of them are people I've never heard of, and I imagine people even most dedicated American women's basketball fans have never heard of.

Hmmm. Now you've piqued my interest....do you know any of these obscure names?? I don't doubt you at all, but am curious.

PostPosted: 07/19/21 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jackie Young IMO is somewhat similar to Gray except Gray has a decent three shot. I guess they can use her to guard the other team's best player so long as she doesn't hoist.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/19/21 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I tried, but couldn't figure out how to actually get a search list...

undersized_post

PostPosted: 07/19/21 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Jackie Young IMO is somewhat similar to Gray except Gray has a decent three shot. I guess they can use her to guard the other team's best player so long as she doesn't hoist.

Problem with 3x3 is you pretty much have to switch every screen because there's no help defense.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/19/21 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Problem with 3x3 is you pretty much have to switch every screen because there's no help defense.

I thought in the 3x3 qualifiers we watched from Europe it looked like Dolson did in fact play some help defense.

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/19/21 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Young has actually played a bunch of 3x3 and has the rating necessary (unlike Laney). Other viable WNBA names would've been Onyenwere, Ionescu, C.Collier, Alarie, Clarendon. After that it's down to college players like Christyn Williams, players who've had a cup of coffee in the WNBA like Linnae Harper or Cierra Burdick, and a load of people I've never heard of.

Those gals aren't terrible but if that's the only choice, US should try to get more good players involved to broaden the possibilities. A healthy Io would be ok and I could possibly see Alarie as a replacement for Dolson. It looked like it was important to have some passing skill, defensive skill, ball handling, and the three ball: and the more people on your team that have as many of those as possible, the better. If someone lacks in one of them, then the rest of the team better be good at that skill.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/19/21 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Hmmm. Now you've piqued my interest....do you know any of these obscure names?? I don't doubt you at all, but am curious.

Scanning through the top-60, I recognise 17 of them, for what that's worth. Basically the ones in the WNBA right now, a few that have been drafted or had short-term WNBA careers in the past, and the odd college player. Others may do much better as I'd presume many of them probably played NCAA basketball somewhere.

I wasn't suggesting I was any kind of expert if that was how that came off. I meant that dedicated American women's basketball fans might have heard of some that I hadn't.

PostPosted: 07/19/21 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

3-pt shooting percentages
.................2021....WNBA career
Plum..........36.5..........38.3
AGray.........36.4..........32.4
KLS............34.0..........31.6
JYoung.......31.3...........30.1
Dolson........41.7...........38.0

I'm not seeing that Young is going to be a significant drop-off in 3-pt shooting. She's faster and more of slasher than KLS, and at least she and Plum have the advantage of a lot of experience playing together.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/19/21 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Howee wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Scanning through the top-60, I recognise 17 of them, for what that's worth. Basically the ones in the WNBA right now, a few that have been drafted or had short-term WNBA careers in the past, and the odd college player. Others may do much better as I'd presume many of them probably played NCAA basketball somewhere.

I wasn't suggesting I was any kind of expert if that was how that came off. I meant that dedicated American women's basketball fans might have heard of some that I hadn't.

That's cool....I just can't seem to long onto the site to see any names. If anyone else IS on, and sees some names that aren't familiar, I'd be interested to know them.

PostPosted: 07/19/21 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

where it says "search for players" you put in United States and hit enter

root_thing

PostPosted: 07/19/21 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The first 10 names I don't know:

11. Michelle Burns, Point Park
12. Tyra James, Urbana
15. Baylie Mook, Point Park
16. Carlie Lutz, Point Park
17. Jaidyn Eggleston, Point Park
20. Alex Heller ????
21. Rachael Beardsley ????
22. Andrea Grady ?????
23. Jen Shedden ?????
24. Jordan O'Malley, Point Park

Three of those question mark people had an association with Slippery Rock University, but I couldn't find proof that they played basketball. However, it can't be a coincidence. So, Point Park University and Slippery Rock seem to be the hotbeds of US 3x3 basketball. Smile

PostPosted: 07/19/21 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

threadkiller1201 wrote:

yeah, tried that. Laughing maybe I couldn't spell United States Laughing I get a blank screen as my search result.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/19/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 mentioned it a while back - the USA men's 3x3 coach is from that Point Park school, so that's where they set up a load of tournaments. Must've given them the chance to build up a load of ranking points.

PostPosted: 07/19/21 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You’re telling me Kelly Faris could have been on this team? Wtf, Geno? Make it happen.
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/19/21 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I'm not seeing that Young is going to be a significant drop-off in 3-pt shooting. She's faster and more of slasher than KLS, and at least she and Plum have the advantage of a lot of experience playing together.

I agree it should be an advantage that Plum and Young played together, but the three number are a bit mis-leading - take a look at quantity of makes and takes. Last year in 22 games Young was 3-13. This year in 21 games 5-16. She can sometimes make them if left wide open - which doesn't happen too often in 3x3. She is a better defender and slasher than KLS although KLS' height is sometimes an advantage. Anyway I wish them well and hope they have fun as well as succeed competitively. And while KLS is not one of my favs, I do feel bad for her to miss her chance at the last minute at the Olympics like this. I'm sure it's really a difficult time for her.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/19/21 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
threadkiller1201 wrote:

yeah, tried that. Laughing maybe I couldn't spell United States Laughing I get a blank screen as my search result.

#MeToo....I'm just a chip off the ol' Myrtle. Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 07/19/21 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
awhom111 mentioned it a while back - the USA men's 3x3 coach is from that Point Park school, so that's where they set up a load of tournaments. Must've given them the chance to build up a load of ranking points.

Slippery Rock University is near there too so I guess they were invited to send a bunch of teams. We should create a RebKell 3x3 series where a bunch of teams play tournaments every day so we can manipulate the rankings.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/20/21 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:
threadkiller1201 wrote:

#MeToo....I'm just a chip off the ol' Myrtle. Razz Laughing

Try typing in united and then scroll down a little. Don't hit enter. I had a cookie monster pop up and that was covering the results. You could also acknowledge it and get rid of it that way.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/20/21 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nneka & E Will's appeal Denied https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31845694/nneka-ogwumike-elizabeth-williams-play-nigeria-women-basketball-tokyo-games-appeal-rejected

PostPosted: 07/20/21 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Nneka & E Will's appeal Denied https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31845694/nneka-ogwumike-elizabeth-williams-play-nigeria-women-basketball-tokyo-games-appeal-rejected

Too bad for them and Nigeria. I think that this is ridiculous for their appeal to be denied. USA released them to go and compete. The committee should have done the same. I wish that the Ogwumike's would have done what others who have dual citizenship and compete on the team that their parents were born in. The pool in the USA is entirely too big. I get that they wanted and have been in the USA system since they were younger but they should have looked into this sooner rather than wait until they are not chosen for team USA.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 07/20/21 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad that drama is over...awaiting the drama when DT doesn't play. Shocked

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/20/21 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I agree it should be an advantage that Plum and Young played together, but the three number are a bit mis-leading - take a look at quantity of makes and takes. Last year in 22 games Young was 3-13. This year in 21 games 5-16. She can sometimes make them if left wide open - which doesn't happen too often in 3x3. She is a better defender and slasher than KLS although KLS' height is sometimes an advantage. Anyway I wish them well and hope they have fun as well as succeed competitively. And while KLS is not one of my favs, I do feel bad for her to miss her chance at the last minute at the Olympics like this. I'm sure it's really a difficult time for her.

My eyes told me clearly that KLS was the weakest link on our 3 x 3 team. Jackie Young is better in everything but 3 pt shooting and height - and KLS couldn't hit the side of the barn in 3x3 qualifiers.

~rAf
ucbart

PostPosted: 07/21/21 6:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/07/21/us-flagbearers-olympics-opening-ceremony-sue-bird-eddy-alvarez/8038385002/

I'm sure the Sue/DT/UCONN/Geno haters are going to handle this well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 24 of 27

Jump to: