RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2020/2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 07/13/21 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The FIBA Power Rankings as compiled by Paul Nilsen (guy who had Vadeeva rated above Wilson as a draft pick)
http://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/women/2020/news/women-s-olympic-basketball-power-rankings-volume-1

1. USA
2. Serbia
3. Australia
4. China
5. Belgium
6. France
7. Spain
8. Japan
9. Canada
10. Nigeria
11. Puerto Rico
12. Korea

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 07/13/21 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 07/13/21 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:
It's not too late to replace Taurasi if she's not going to be able to play

If nothing else, they'll bring her out in a wheelchair and she can bounce the ball a few times and spit on the floor so everyone knows it's her. Wink

They're saving that for 2060.

PostPosted: 07/13/21 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

If nothing else, they'll bring her out in a wheelchair and she can bounce the ball a few times and spit on the floor so everyone knows it's her. Wink

The “Just a Kid from Chino Olympic Farewell Campaign”. Sue Bird will accompany her on an electric scooter.
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 07/13/21 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

And Geno, 20 years in the ground, will bear the blame.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/14/21 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

I mean, USA Basketball did say she could be on the team as long as she wanted ...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/14/21 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FIBA denied Nnekas request , she won’t ever get to play in an olympics smh sad Embarassed Embarassed

Chiney don’t play approved
Elizabeth Williams Denied

Appeal coming soon

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31818237 /nneka-ogwumike-petition-play-nigeria-denied-fiba

PostPosted: 07/14/21 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This team USA lacks a one on one creator from the guard spot! Is it detrimental maybe not but if they don’t win Gold I’m looking at that as a major discretion IMO. Gray can do so much but she’s the playmaker can’t do both in 1 possession . If Lloyd can be reliable then problem
Solved but I think everyone saw who the best fighting Irish player on the floor was ?

PostPosted: 07/15/21 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
FIBA denied Nnekas request , she won’t ever get to play in an olympics smh sad Embarassed Embarassed

Appeal coming soon

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31818237 /nneka-ogwumike-petition-play-nigeria-denied-fiba

This whole thing is plain awful! I feel so bad for Nneka.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/15/21 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Appeal coming soon

I would have felt much worse for a Nigerian player who had put in the work and commitment to the national team getting kicked to the curb for a player who would only be there because she didn't get her first choice.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/15/21 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Appeal coming soon

I would have felt much worse for a Nigerian player who had put in the work and commitment to the national team getting kicked to the curb for a player who would only be there because she didn't get her first choice.

It is interesting that people keep saying this, but most of Nigeria's team is Americans who realized that they would not play for the United States and use the national team to get themselves better club gigs in Europe who at some point displaced somebody else. There are a few players with Nigerian citizenship only, but the national team would not have accomplished near as much without dual-nationals. Puerto Rico is almost loyal to a fault, but they still brought in new players for the Olympics.

All of the reporting seems to ignore whether Oderah Chidom was approved or not or whether there might be any issue with Jahlil Okafor on the men's side. It will be interesting to see if there is any change in final ruling on Chiney. Christian Stanhardinger/Hermoso seems to have been in the same position when FIBA let him switch to the Philippines after playing for German youth teams. Anigwe was allowed to count as non-naturalized when she switched, but she was born on the island of Britain, which seems to make a difference.

How this is all finally handled will set a ton of precedent. As someone who has always advocated that those with multiple nationalities should play for the weakest national team that they are eligible for, even I can see no reasonable argument that Nneka and Elizabeth should be allowed to switch. Maybe people are coming around on my position that USA Basketball should voluntarily not call up players who are eligible for another team. Play for Puerto Rico, Devin Booker!
myrtle

PostPosted: 07/15/21 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

It is interesting that people keep saying this, but most of Nigeria's team is Americans who realized that they would not play for the United States and use the national team to get themselves better club gigs in Europe who at some point displaced somebody else. There are a few players with Nigerian citizenship only, but the national team would not have accomplished near as much without dual-nationals. Puerto Rico is almost loyal to a fault, but they still brought in new players for the Olympics.

People who are saying this are those who already dislike Nneka for some other reason. They wouldn't say it if it were their favorite player in her shoes.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 07/16/21 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Appeal coming soon

All of the reporting seems to ignore whether Oderah Chidom was approved or not or whether there might be any issue with Jahlil Okafor on the men's side. It will be interesting to see if there is any change in final ruling on Chiney. Christian Stanhardinger/Hermoso seems to have been in the same position when FIBA let him switch to the Philippines after playing for German youth teams. Anigwe was allowed to count as non-naturalized when she switched, but she was born on the island of Britain, which seems to make a difference.

How this is all finally handled will set a ton of precedent. As someone who has always advocated that those with multiple nationalities should play for the weakest national team that they are eligible for, even I can see no reasonable argument that Nneka and Elizabeth should be allowed to switch. Maybe people are coming around on my position that USA Basketball should voluntarily not call up players who are eligible for another team. Play for Puerto Rico, Devin Booker!

Truth.

PostPosted: 07/16/21 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

People who are saying this are those who already dislike Nneka for some other reason. They wouldn't say it if it were their favorite player in her shoes.

Pardon me, but that is some serious bullshit. I was the first person on this board to point to Nneka being off the US Olympic team. She has consistently been one of my favorite players. So you can seriously stop with that kind of accusation. Right now.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/16/21 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Appeal coming soon

So you are saying that players who have never played for or in Nigeria deciding they now want to a couple of weeks ahead of the opening ceremony wouldn't mean that a player who had played for the national team before would get bumped off? That a player who actually played to help them qualify wouldn't get replaced at the last minute by a player who had never shown interest in playing for them until a couple of weeks ago? And that it isn't already happening with the other two sisters?

I had no idea that all of the Nigerian players just showed up two weeks ago and bumped all of the other players off the team. Thanks for clearing that up.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/16/21 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Appeal coming soon

So you are saying that players who have never played for or in Nigeria deciding they now want to a couple of weeks ahead of the opening ceremony wouldn't mean that a player who had played for the national team before would get bumped off? That a player who actually played to help them qualify wouldn't get replaced at the last minute by a player who had never shown interest in playing for them until a couple of weeks ago? And that it isn't already happening with the other two sisters?

I had no idea that all of the Nigerian players just showed up two weeks ago and bumped all of the other players off the team. Thanks for clearing that up.

I would not describe it that strongly, but it seems likely that multiple players will make their final roster who have never played a competitive game for them.

I guess that I just do not think that much more of it being the Olympics compared to AfroBasket Women or Worlds. At some point, players get beat out for their spots and those players displaced others to get there in the first place. As long as it does not cause team chemistry issues, I don't see the issue. Apparently there have been chemistry issues in the past for Puerto Rico when people who have spent their entire lives on the mainland do not have the level of pride of people who were raised on the island, but in recent years, so much of the talented players for Nigeria have spent their entire lives in the United States that I cannot see how that particular divide would arise.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 07/17/21 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand how a US territory can compete as an independent country in international competition. Is there some rule about this?

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 07/18/21 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI the Olympic Channel is replaying USA gold medal winning matches, currently the 04 game is on, the one where Aus presented a huge threat but Pee Wee Johnson and Tina Thompson came up huge.

Be sure to check out the 08 game, the one where Kara Lawson outplayed every other guard in the world.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 07/18/21 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
FYI the Olympic Channel is replaying USA gold medal winning matches, currently the 04 game is on, the one where Aus presented a huge threat but Pee Wee Johnson and Tina Thompson came up huge.

Be sure to check out the 08 game, the one where Kara Lawson outplayed every other guard in the world.

i remember that! Kara was sooo clutch in that game!

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 07/19/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2021/07/3x3-roster-young.aspx

lynxmania

PostPosted: 07/19/21 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/hoopfeed/status/1417168017822130200?s=21

Quote:
Jackie Young joins the U.S. Olympic 3x3 Women’s Basketball Team after Katie Lou Samuelson "was placed under USA Basketball's health and safety protocols Saturday and will be unable to participate in the July 23-28 Tokyo Olympic Games 3x3 competition." #TokyoGames

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/19/21 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
https://twitter.com/hoopfeed/status/1417168017822130200?s=21

Quote:
Jackie Young joins the U.S. Olympic 3x3 Women’s Basketball Team after Katie Lou Samuelson "was placed under USA Basketball's health and safety protocols Saturday and will be unable to participate in the July 23-28 Tokyo Olympic Games 3x3 competition." #TokyoGames

Shocked While I thought KLS was actually a bit of a weak link in the games I watched, shooting the three is really important in 3x3. Someone like Laney would have been much, much better.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/19/21 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Young has actually played a bunch of 3x3 and has the rating necessary (unlike Laney). Other viable WNBA names would've been Onyenwere, Ionescu, C.Collier, Alarie, Clarendon. After that it's down to college players like Christyn Williams, players who've had a cup of coffee in the WNBA like Linnae Harper or Cierra Burdick, and a load of people I've never heard of.

PostPosted: 07/19/21 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Young has actually played a bunch of 3x3 and has the rating necessary (unlike Laney). Other viable WNBA names would've been Onyenwere, Ionescu, C.Collier, Alarie, Clarendon. After that it's down to college players like Christyn Williams, players who've had a cup of coffee in the WNBA like Linnae Harper or Cierra Burdick, and a load of people I've never heard of.

I wonder if the choice came down to "who is in Las Vegas with the rest of the team?"

PostPosted: 07/19/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sithinfiltrator wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I wonder if the choice came down to "who is in Las Vegas with the rest of the team?"

I also wouldn't be surprised if USA Basketball has planned for possible absences both in 3x3 and 5-on-5. They may not have officially named any alternates, but they might well have told a few people to stay healthy and available until the tournament actually starts, just in case.

PostPosted: 07/19/21 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Young has actually played a bunch of 3x3 and has the rating necessary (unlike Laney).

What does "the rating" refer to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 23 of 27

Jump to: