RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2020/2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/22/21 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
This makes about as much sense as saying that Cambage is better than Sylvia Fowles. Don't u know Sloot has foreign passport and thus not eligible for USA?

I was, in fact, aware of that, but (1) that fact isn't relevant to the question of who the best PG in the game is, because I wasn't responding to the hypothetical question of "Who is the best PG in the game, who is also eligible to play for USAB?" And (2), the case could be made that the reason why Vandersloot has a foreign passport is because she got sick of being told that she had to wait on the Compiler to decide that she's done, before she got to play for USAB.

As to your second question, I want Vandersloot. No, I am not willing to extrapolate Bird being better than Vandersloot, in 2021, based on a mistake that Vandersloot made, in 2019. Like, seriously, based on the entirety of their respective careers, Sylvia Fowles is better than A'ja Wilson, too. So what? Which player are you taking, today? Not in their respective primes. Right now.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 06/22/21 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
FOUR REASONS NNEKA OGWUMIKE IS THE BIGGEST SNUB IN TEAM USA’S OLYMPICS HISTORY

https://justwomenssports.com/nneka-ogwumike-is-the-biggest-snub-in-team-usa-olympics-history/

Quote:
Dawn Staley told reporters that Ogwumike has been a “great voice” during training camp and practices

It's bullshit, exactly what Candace Parker said in her postgame interview when she found out about Nneka.

Even if she's coming off an injury, you give someone like Nneka the benefit of the doubt for all that she has done for this team and program. Just like you give grandma Diana.

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/22/21 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
canadaball wrote:
This makes about as much sense as saying that Cambage is better than Sylvia Fowles. Don't u know Sloot has foreign passport and thus not eligible for USA?

I was, in fact, aware of that, but (1) that fact isn't relevant to the question of who the best PG in the game is, because I wasn't responding to the hypothetical question of "Who is the best PG in the game, who is also eligible to play for USAB?" And (2), the case could be made that the reason why Vandersloot has a foreign passport is because she got sick of being told that she had to wait on the Compiler to decide that she's done, before she got to play for USAB.

As to your second question, I want Vandersloot. No, I am not willing to extrapolate Bird being better than Vandersloot, in 2021, based on a mistake that Vandersloot made, in 2019. Like, seriously, based on the entirety of their respective careers, Sylvia Fowles is better than A'ja Wilson, too. So what? Which player are you taking, today? Not in their respective primes. Right now.

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis. Sloot should have been in the Team USA pool, and I'm starting to come around to the whole "well, fuck it, I'm never going to have a fair shot with Team USA, might as well try some other country" idea, which I was initially vehemently against.

(though I might even go a step further and argue that Bird isn't even the best point guard on Team USA...)

PostPosted: 06/22/21 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
(though I might even go a step further and argue that Bird isn't even the best point guard on Team USA...)

Oh, that's 'cause she isn't.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/23/21 4:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im a fan of Sloot and i also think USA made a big mistake by not taking her earlier in the pool and giving her a shot 5 years ago. But its not like Bird was washed up in 2016 Laughing So yeah Sloot should have been on the team earlier but not instead of Bird.

Also you can hate all you want but in this moment playing for a championship WNBA or Olympics i would go with Sue Bird over anyone. She compiles championships because she is one of the most clutch players in the game. She steps up in big moments and leads her team to championships.

Also helps that she is shooting a career % from the field at the age of 40 Laughing
Not to mention being one of the best 3pointshooters ever. Shooting at a 46% clip behind the arc once again.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/23/21 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will never forgive Geno (yes, it was Geno) for taking both Asjha Jones AND Swin Cash. Asjha was actually somewhat useful in the Olympics. Swin was not. At all. The two forwards who deserved to be there: Rebekkah Brunson and Crystal Langhorne. Denying them gold while giving mostly unearned gold to two UConn alum is unconscionable. Please note this has nothing to do with his later snub of Candace Parker, though it does show that his bias (for or against players based on whether they chose him for their college coach) was already present.

~rAf
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/23/21 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This season, in the games so far, Bird's been the best point guard in the league. She's one of the three players carrying the top team in the league. Vandersloot looked lethargic early, and needed Candace Parker to show up to turn around Chicago's results. The only other candidate who's even all that close is Chelsea Gray.

You can certainly question how USA Basketball have handled the position over the years, but Bird still makes this team on merit. Before any of the additional nonsense that usually plays into this stuff.

PostPosted: 06/23/21 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan wrote:
Usually to be a known name you have to be....the best.

I am confused as to where this gets confusing to people. I am not a Seattle fan and Sue Bird is objectively the best pg in the game. She should be on the team.

Courtney Vandersloot is, objectively, the best point guard in the game, in 2021. Sue Bird, at this particular point in her career, is merely the most accomplished.

BTW who u want running team in last seconds of close game? remember the Sloot blunder/choke that lost playoff game to Vegas; I don't think the ancient Bird makes that bad play.

I would take Bird in that situation. I also remember the Storm post Jackson pre Stewart years too.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/23/21 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
This season, in the games so far, Bird's been the best point guard in the league. She's one of the three players carrying the top team in the league. Vandersloot looked lethargic early, and needed Candace Parker to show up to turn around Chicago's results. The only other candidate who's even all that close is Chelsea Gray.

You can certainly question how USA Basketball have handled the position over the years, but Bird still makes this team on merit. Before any of the additional nonsense that usually plays into this stuff.

Thank you Exclamation

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/23/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Im a fan of Sloot and i also think USA made a big mistake by not taking her earlier in the pool and giving her a shot 5 years ago. But its not like Bird was washed up in 2016 :lol: So yeah Sloot should have been on the team earlier but not instead of Bird.

Also you can hate all you want but in this moment playing for a championship WNBA or Olympics i would go with Sue Bird over anyone. She compiles championships because she is one of the most clutch players in the game. She steps up in big moments and leads her team to championships.

Also helps that she is shooting a career % from the field at the age of 40 :lol:
Not to mention being one of the best 3pointshooters ever. Shooting at a 46% clip behind the arc once again.

I love it when people are like, "The US is so talented, we can win with anybody, so it's no loss if Player X doesn't make the team," and then turn around, and are like, "Oh, but we need Bird and Taurasi, though!" Like, make that make sense.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/23/21 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
This season, in the games so far, Bird's been the best point guard in the league. She's one of the three players carrying the top team in the league.

BREAKING NEWS: point guard who passes to Breanna Stewart and Jewell Loyd looks slightly more efficient than point guard who passes to Kahleah Copper and Diamond DeShields.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/23/21 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
I would take Bird in that situation. I also remember the Storm post Jackson pre Stewart years too.

Oh, you mean, when the Compiler averaged what was, until last year, career lows in scoring, on a career-worst shooting percentage, and near-career lows in assists, and the Storm were trash?

canadaball

PostPosted: 06/23/21 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

Oh, you mean, when the Compiler averaged what was, until last year, career lows in scoring, on a career-worst shooting percentage, and near-career lows in assists, and the Storm were trash?

Are u serious? Calling Bird a "compiler" overlooks the large # of huge plays in her admittedly long career. A quick review would include the 14 points in last 6 minutes of 2018 Phx deciding game ; the game winning 3 in 2010 Phx semifinal (preceded by block on Johnson, and bounce pass to Cash); the game winner at buzzer in Game 1 finals vs Atlanta; the steal vs Tolliver last 5 seconds in game 2 2018 Finals. There are plenty more during regular seasons. Sloot is a great pg, but she has ZERO of these kind of plays, and her chance in 2019 was one of biggest blunders in W plaoiff history.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/23/21 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Im a fan of Sloot and i also think USA made a big mistake by not taking her earlier in the pool and giving her a shot 5 years ago. But its not like Bird was washed up in 2016 Laughing So yeah Sloot should have been on the team earlier but not instead of Bird.

Also helps that she is shooting a career % from the field at the age of 40 Laughing

I love it when people are like, "The US is so talented, we can win with anybody, so it's no loss if Player X doesn't make the team," and then turn around, and are like, "Oh, but we need Bird and Taurasi, though!" Like, make that make sense.

________ for 20 straight years X Mad Mad

PostPosted: 06/23/21 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bump

PostPosted: 06/23/21 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

Are u serious? Calling Bird a "compiler" overlooks the large # of huge plays in her admittedly long career. A quick review would include the 14 points in last 6 minutes of 2018 Phx deciding game ; the game winning 3 in 2010 Phx semifinal (preceded by block on Johnson, and bounce pass to Cash); the game winner at buzzer in Game 1 finals vs Atlanta; the steal vs Tolliver last 5 seconds in game 2 2018 Finals. There are plenty more during regular seasons. Sloot is a great pg, but she has ZERO of these kind of plays, and her chance in 2019 was one of biggest blunders in W plaoiff history.

Com. Pi. Ler. #HateHard

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 06/23/21 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the "steal" vs Toliver in game 2 of 2018 finals meaning the blatant foul she got away with? Rolling Eyes

pilight

PostPosted: 06/23/21 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
the game winner at buzzer in Game 1 finals vs Atlanta

...after LoJack's "monstrous moving screen" gave her an uncontested look

PostPosted: 06/23/21 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2021/06/3x3-olympic-roster-announced.aspx
Quote:
The four athletes who qualified USA Basketball for the inaugural 3x3 Olympic competition this summer will represent the USA at the Tokyo Games, including Stefanie Dolson (Chicago Sky/Connecticut/Port Jervis, N.Y.), Allisha Gray (Dallas Wings/South Carolina/Sandersville, Ga.), Kelsey Plum (Las Vegas Aces/Washington/Poway, Calif.) and Katie Lou Samuelson (Seattle Storm/Connecticut/Huntington Beach, Calif.).

I thought this was already a given but apparently not necessarily so.

Olympics 3x3 schedule
https://www.usab.com/3x3/3x3-national-teams-women/schedule.aspx

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/23/21 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

You mean when they won two championships?

canadaball

PostPosted: 06/23/21 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What word would u use to describe a past 40 yr old pg (Male or female) who continues to play significant bball? "Compiler" says a lot more about your prejudices than reality.My word might be "unique" b/c we ain't ever seen this before.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 06/23/21 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

The years that are being referred to is 2014 and 2015 when Bird was the best player on the those Storm teams that miss the playoffs.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/23/21 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

Which two championships did they win in the "post Jackson pre Stewart" years?

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/23/21 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
What word would u use to describe a past 40 yr old pg (Male or female) who continues to play significant bball? "Compiler" says a lot more about your prejudices than reality.

I dare you to find a single post where I have ever once denied my anti-Bird, anti-Storm bias. I dare you.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 06/23/21 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
zune69 wrote:
PG: Gray/Sims/Ionescu
SG: McBride/Deshields
SF: Moore/Collier
PF: Delle Donne/Wilson/Ogwumike
C: Griner/Fowles

Question marks:
Bird-Returning from left knee surgery
Taurasi-Returning from back surgery
Stewart-Returning from Achilles tendon surgery
Diggins- Returning from pregnancy
McCoughtry- Returning from ACL surgery
Loyd- Has not looked good since returning from ankle injury

Zune, if this turns out to be Team USA's lineup, I will eat a hat Laughing Laughing

Carol Callan has pretty much said that short of being carried out on a stretcher, Bird and Taurasi will be on this team until they say no.

Not to toot my own horn or anything Laughing

Almost all of the Question turned out to be definites, poor Angel Crying or Very sad if it wasn't for this injury she definitely would've been on the team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 18 of 27

Jump to: