RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Team USA 2020/2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/08/21 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMHO, Katie Lou was the weakest link of the 4 players qualifying for the 3X3. Her shot was just not falling (and still isn't). It could be hard to find her combination of height and (potential) shooting. The other three were rock stars.

Randy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
USA Basketball burying seemingly important information in an article:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2021/06/3x-national-announcement.aspx

What do they mean by this?
Quote:
In addition to the lure of a 3x3 national championship, the event also will serve as the final evaluation of athletes for selection to the U.S. Women’s 3x3 Olympic Team and will serve to identify athletes for other 2021 USA men’s and women’s 3x3 National Teams.

Are they keeping alternates in the wings if they need to replace a player?

I'm not a fan of any of the current players, per se, but they she stay with the ones that got them to Tokyo.

~rAf
awhom111

PostPosted: 06/08/21 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
IMHO, Katie Lou was the weakest link of the 4 players qualifying for the 3X3. Her shot was just not falling (and still isn't). It could be hard to find her combination of height and (potential) shooting. The other three were rock stars.

Randy wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
USA Basketball burying seemingly important information in an article:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2021/06/3x-national-announcement.aspx

What do they mean by this?
Quote:
In addition to the lure of a 3x3 national championship, the event also will serve as the final evaluation of athletes for selection to the U.S. Women’s 3x3 Olympic Team and will serve to identify athletes for other 2021 USA men’s and women’s 3x3 National Teams.

Are they keeping alternates in the wings if they need to replace a player?

I'm not a fan of any of the current players, per se, but they she stay with the ones that got them to Tokyo.

Teams for the event so far:
https://play.fiba3x3.com/events/198604ed-b024-4780-
a93c-8dd5c237435c/teams

It is cool to see Haley Peters playing.

The only player listed so far who is even Olympic-eligible right now is Aleah Goodman.
pilight

PostPosted: 06/12/21 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Does anyone know when the Olympic team will be announced? We're only weeks away from the start Shocked In 2016 the team was announced in April, of course that was due to them wanting to get the whole Parker debacle outta the way first, but that horse has been beaten enough.

The deadline is July 5th

PostPosted: 06/21/21 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2021/06/2020-woly-team-unveiled.aspx

Ariel Atkins
Sue Bird
Tina Charles
Napheesa Collier
Skylar Diggins-Smith
Sylvia Fowles
Chelsea Gray
Brittney Griner
Jewell Loyd
Breanna Stewart
Diana Taurasi
A'ja Wilson

PostPosted: 06/21/21 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamondcouldntdoit

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 06/21/21 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 06/21/21 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Ariel Atkins
Sue Bird
Tina Charles
Napheesa Collier
Skylar Diggins-Smith
Sylvia Fowles
Chelsea Gray
Brittney Griner
Jewell Loyd
Breanna Stewart
Diana Taurasi
A'ja Wilson

Looks like a solid group. Collier will play her minutes at SF. Maybe even some Taurasi at the 3. Wonder how they are going to divide the minutes between the posts though Griner and Fowles splitting the minutes at center but then you Stewie, Wilson and Charles at the 4. Maybe Stewie some minutes at the 3 just like with the big line-up from UMMC?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 06/21/21 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Six players returning from the 2016 team, including four starters. None of the other six were available (four retired, two injured).

PostPosted: 06/21/21 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Six new players seems like the biggest change in a while.

Gone are:

Augustus
Catchings
Delle Donne
McCoughtry
Moore
Whalen

Replaced by:

Atkins
Collier
Diggins-Smith
Gray
Loyd
Wilson

PostPosted: 06/21/21 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Looks like a solid group. Collier will play her minutes at SF. Maybe even some Taurasi at the 3. Wonder how they are going to divide the minutes between the posts though Griner and Fowles splitting the minutes at center but then you Stewie, Wilson and Charles at the 4. Maybe Stewie some minutes at the 3 just like with the big line-up from UMMC?

Stewart's played a crapload of time at the 3 for Team USA in recent years. She won the MVP at Worlds in 2018 playing there almost exclusively. But leaving Nneka and EDD out (or them being injured, depending on your angle) does balance the roster a bit more than expected. She might be able to play rather more 4 this time around.

PostPosted: 06/21/21 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The two headlines for me are the inclusion of Atkins and the exclusion of Nneka.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/21/21 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Six new players seems like the biggest change in a while

Not really. The 2012 team had six players who weren't on the 2008 team, including losing three starters. Same for 2008 vs 2004. 2016, with only three replacements, is the outlier.

PostPosted: 06/21/21 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Six new players seems like the biggest change in a while.

Gone are:

Augustus
Catchings
Delle Donne
McCoughtry
Moore
Whalen

Replaced by:

Atkins
Collier
Diggins-Smith
Gray
Loyd
Wilson

Or if you go by the Worlds in 2018, it's:

Plum
Clarendon
Tuck
Delle Donne
Ogwumike

replaced by:

Diggins-Smith
Collier
Atkins
CGray
Fowles (who must've been injured? Can't remember)

PostPosted: 06/21/21 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
The two headlines for me are the inclusion of Atkins and the exclusion of Nneka.

I'm sure the Taurasi stans will be along any minute to tell you Nneka's injury is what kept her off the team.

PostPosted: 06/21/21 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why don’t they just have the whole Seattle Storm team (other than Magbegor and whoever else can’t) represent the USA in the Olympics? Might actually work out better since they actually know how to play together. They already have 3 of the 5 starters. That outdoes the Dynasty Lynx who had 1 starter (Moore) and 3 reserves (Whalen, Augustus, Fowles).

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 06/21/21 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you would’ve told me during Ariel Atkins’ senior year that she would be an Olympian in 2020 (1) Shocked Shocked

Poor Nneka, the wrong time to be injured. She really should’ve been on the team in 2016 Confused Evil or Very Mad

So I guess USA basketball is privy to Taurasi’s medical information Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 06/21/21 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
So I guess USA basketball is privy to Taurasi’s medical information Laughing

Her dental records, anyway

PostPosted: 06/21/21 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nneka is now almost certain to be the first league MVP to never make an Olympic team. She'll be 33 in 2024, and hard to imagine her making her first team then.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/21/21 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Ariel Atkins
Sue Bird
Tina Charles
Napheesa Collier
Skylar Diggins-Smith
Sylvia Fowles
Chelsea Gray
Brittney Griner
Jewell Loyd
Breanna Stewart
Diana Taurasi
A'ja Wilson

I myself am fine with this group. Razz Super-duper happy that Jewell's officially on here. Ariel Atkins is absolutely deserving of being on here as well, especially considering how high of a level she's playing at this year.

Only thing I'd say is, in terms of Taurasi... who wants to bet that she'll miraculously return from her sternum injury in the very last regular-season game before the All-Star Game? Twisted Evil

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/21/21 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As one can imagine, all of Nneka's sisters are voicing their opinions on Nneka being left off the team.

(Chiney's essay) (Erica refuting the claim Nneka got left off cuz of her injury) (Olivia being upset)

Richyyy was right though in saying it's probably not a good look to leave off the WNBPA President & a core participator in USA Basketball the past several years. In terms of who definitely shouldn't be on the team, obviously Taurasi, but that was never going to happen. All of the frontcourt players are definitely deserving of being there, but I guess if I had to pick one to leave off, I'd pick Fowles. They'd never leave off Griner either (unless she were to leave herself off, per se).

Speaking of Taurasi & Griner, we have 3 Mercury players on this roster, and yet their team currently has a losing record – with Taurasi absent, of course, but still. Not lost on me. Laughing

Randy

PostPosted: 06/21/21 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Why don’t they just have the whole Seattle Storm team (other than Magbegor and whoever else can’t) represent the USA in the Olympics? Might actually work out better since they actually know how to play together. They already have 3 of the 5 starters. That outdoes the Dynasty Lynx who had 1 starter (Moore) and 3 reserves (Whalen, Augustus, Fowles).

Id rather they send the Fever. I guess they'd have to give up Hatar unless she wants to get US Passport.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/21/21 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird/Gray
Loyd/Diggins-Smith/Atkins
Taurasi/Collier
Stewart/Wilson/Charles
Griner/Fowles

or

Bird/Gray
Taurasi/Diggins-Smith/Loyd
Collier/Atkins
Stewart/Charles/Wilson
Griner/Fowles

or

Bird/Gray/Diggins-Smith
Taurasi/Loyd
Stewart/Collier/Atkins
Wilson/Charles
Griner/Fowles

or

Bird/Diggins-Smith
Taurasi/Loyd/Atkins
Gray/Collier
Stewart/Wilson/Charles
Griner/Fowles

what I thought they were going to do

Bird/Gray
Taurasi/Loyd/Diggins-Smith
Stewart/Collier
Wilson/Charles/N. Ogwumike
Griner/Fowles

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 06/21/21 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another sloppy job by USA. If you pull the Taurasi has to make the team because she's been here 4 times before, you have to include Nneka for all that she's done for the game and her dedication to Team USA. And if she really isn't ready to lace em up in time, then you switch her out with someone who is.

Bad move by USA. Are we surprised

root_thing

PostPosted: 06/21/21 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After the poor season Charles had in 2019, I think everyone was expecting that she’d be the easy one to replace with Nneka. But then Tina returns in 2021 and so far puts up MVP numbers. To those on the Olympic committee who considered removing her, Tina says “Fugetaboutit!”

PostPosted: 06/21/21 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Another sloppy job by USA. If you pull the Taurasi has to make the team because she's been here 4 times before, you have to include Nneka for all that she's done for the game and her dedication to Team USA. And if she really isn't ready to lace em up in time, then you switch her out with someone who is.

Neka's credentials certainly merit Olympic consideration; however, unlike Parker's exclusion in 2016, it is easy to understand the thinking. How does Neka's skill set add to that overpowering USA front line? She is an undersized passionate warrior, but the other 4/5's offer more. On the other hand, the USA perimeter with Bird, Taurasi, and Gray is not young or very athletic. Loyd and Diggy help, but Atkins gives another young guard with legs. The knee injury, which unlike DT whp plays next week,, has unsure future, clinches it. BTW there is no provision for replacement of injured player past the drop dead date (I believe July 5).

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/21/21 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Neka's credentials certainly merit Olympic consideration; however, unlike Parker's exclusion in 2016, it is easy to understand the thinking. How does Neka's skill set add to that overpowering USA front line? She is an undersized passionate warrior, but the other 4/5's offer more. On the other hand, the USA perimeter with Bird, Taurasi, and Gray is not young or very athletic. Loyd and Diggy help, but Atkins gives another young guard with legs. The knee injury, which unlike DT whp plays next week,, has unsure future, clinches it. BTW there is no provision for replacement of injured player past the drop dead date (I believe July 5).

In that case, why make the annoucement now? Why not wait until July 5 so you know the health status of both Taurasi and Nneka. Or everyone else for that matter ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 14 of 27

Jump to: