RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What's new at pilight's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 05/15/22 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I see this is not the Michaela Onyenwere-approved guide.

I've always wondered where the hell "day" came from

pilight

PostPosted: 05/15/22 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I assume it's one of those laurel/yanny things where people just hear the same word differently

PostPosted: 05/15/22 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I assume it's one of those laurel/yanny things where people just hear the same word differently

Yes, even when Michaela says it I hear "day".

PostPosted: 05/15/22 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For people whose native languages do not contain the flipped 'r' sound and have subsequently lost the ability enunciate it, there are ways to softly utter a 'd' that can convincingly pass as a flipped 'r.' Lots of American opera singers do this when singing in Italian, for example. I would bet that's how Own-yen-way-dey ended up that way in the pronunciation guide.

Then there are the TV Karens (who I shall do the dignity of not naming) who, when saying Michaela's last name, speak the hardest 'D' sound I have ever in my life heard. ("OnyenweDAY.") That is not the way to do it...

PostPosted: 05/15/22 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
For people whose native languages do not contain the flipped 'r' sound and have subsequently lost the ability enunciate it, there are ways to softly utter a 'd' that can convincingly pass as a flipped 'r.' Lots of American opera singers do this when singing in Italian, for example. I would bet that's how Own-yen-way-dey ended up that way in the pronunciation guide.

Linguistics nerdery! *pulls up a chair so fast smoke appears under the wheels* You have my attention. I've listened to two or three clips of Michaela saying her own last name, and for the life of me I can't hear an R in there. I hate fucking up people's names, and I hate being wrong in public. Please help. Is there a word in English that has a sound similar enough to this that it can be used as a starting point to not fucking it up?

(edit for additional clarification, especially as regards Michaela's advice in the tweet: I mean, I've tried rolling my Rs, but the second language I learned is Spanish, so when I roll my Rs I just end up with even more Rs, which is counterproductive)

PostPosted: 05/15/22 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Linguistics nerdery! *pulls up a chair so fast smoke appears under the wheels* You have my attention. I've listened to two or three clips of Michaela saying her own last name, and for the life of me I can't hear an R in there. I hate fucking up people's names, and I hate being wrong in public. Please help. Is there a word in English that has a sound similar enough to this that it can be used as a starting point to not fucking it up?

Disclaimer: Please ignore all innuendos regarding the letter D in this post. Laughing

First of all I wish I knew more so I could be more helpful. I am far from a diction teacher but have spent lots of time singing in choirs and accompanying vocalists. I would say, try to approximate it the flipped 'r' by making a "d" sound so soft that your tongue barely flicks that ridge toward the front of the roof of your mouth.

I don't know about a specific English word to compare it to because I feel like that would depend on your regional dialect and how hard or soft your "d" sounds (and other "stop consonants" in general) are naturally. Like, someone with a soft southern drawl might have an easier time with this than an intense New Yorker? But in general, I would say that D's in the middle of words (middle, medium) tend to be pronounced more softly than D's that begin words.

Also, by soft/hard, I don't mean soft or loud volume. I mean how much air pressure you build up behind your tongue before releasing it to make the consonant sound. A "soft D" would have less pressure build up. A "hard D" would involve greater pressure build up.

Queenie wrote:

(edit for additional clarification, especially as regards Michaela's advice in the tweet: I mean, I've tried rolling my Rs, but the second language I learned is Spanish, so when I roll my Rs I just end up with even more Rs, which is counterproductive)

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 05/15/22 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

edit: Did some googling and found the following:

"Say the word "butter." If you don't say the T's as actual T's, then what you did was probably just flip the tip of your tongue against the gum ridge above your upper teeth. Is that the case? If so, then THAT is the sound the Esperanto R has. An actual trill is not strictly necessary."

So the "tt" sound in butter -- the way, in american english, how you barely say the t's at all -- is a good approximation of the flipped r!

PostPosted: 05/16/22 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can’t my R’s to save my life, fortunately I could conjugate my azz off so I was able to pass Spanish with flying colors 🀣

pilight

PostPosted: 05/16/22 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
pilight wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I don't. I hear that hard rolled R common to Nigerian accents. But then I hear Nigerian accents all the time so I'm used to it.

PostPosted: 05/16/22 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:
pilight wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I don't. I hear that hard rolled R common to Nigerian accents. But then I hear Nigerian accents all the time so I'm used to it.

I don't hear a hard D, but it sounds more like a D than an English R. I've only worked with one Nigerian in my life, and I don't remember his R being noticeably different. So, maybe as a yanny guy, the rolled Nigerian R is a laurel to me.

I did some quick, lazy research, but I didn't find much. Wikipedia has four different types of rolled Rs, but they didn't list Nigeria as a place where any of them were used. I actually think the difficulty with Onyenwere lies in the transition from WEH to REY. Going from open mouth to that tense position needed to sound out an R is difficult for English speakers. I know with my own name where the first name ends with N and the last name begins with L, people often hear the transition as a W.

PostPosted: 05/16/22 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They use everything vocal in Nigeria. Hundreds of native languages are spoken there, at least 15 of them are primary to two million or more people. In urban areas everyone also speaks English and many speak French.

PostPosted: 05/16/22 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In her case I think it's not a true rolled 'r', it's just that the tongue comes really close to the palette and for English speakers when the tongue hits the palette, it's a 'd'.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/16/22 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updated the always popular projections page. Had to extend the points out to 13000 again. Also added columns for the rebounding and assist records now that the current record holders are retired. Admittedly there's not a ton of difference between a player's chance at 4000 rebounds and 4006...

PostPosted: 12/20/22 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Posted the schedule in CSV format

PostPosted: 04/11/23 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Posted transcripts of draft day interviews from the commish and all the attendees

PostPosted: 05/31/23 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the rookies who made rosters except Lopez Senechal have made appearances so I got their pictures and added them to the Player Register.

Also posted the 2023 Pronunciation Guide

Quote:
DOY-kitch

PostPosted: 09/12/23 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updated the Projections page, along with some other stuff

PostPosted: 09/12/23 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Updated the Projections page, along with some other stuff

Did you alter your formulae at all because of the longer season? Or did you calculate that it's already taken into account by the higher totals this season? It just seems that if we're sticking with a 40-game season, the totals from seasons past (2 seasons ago and 3 seasons ago) would drag down the projections somewhat. It probably doesn't matter that much, but this season it would increase projections 3/6 * 6/34 = 8.8%. Next season only a third of that (2.9%) and then it would have no effect after that. That's of course only if my numbers are good.

Love your website, pilight!

pilight

PostPosted: 09/12/23 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have not adjusted the formula to account for the season length. The number of games has been different in each of the last five seasons. I won't be shocked if they shorten for the Olympics next year like they did the last time. There's no way to account for that.

PostPosted: 09/12/23 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That makes sense. I figured you had already considered and rejected that option, but I was just curious.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/18/23 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Posted the schedule in CSV format

PostPosted: 04/16/24 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Posted draft day interview transcripts with the invited draftees and the commissioner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: