RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rio Olympic Village
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 07/27/16 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:
vickilz wrote:
I've heard USA Basket ball will be staying on cruise ships. What about the rest of the US Olympic teams? Staying on ships only addresses part of the problems, they still need to travel to the venue and deal with those facilities.

I understand that these athletes have worked their entire lives to compete in the Olympics, and USA not participating due to the deplorable conditions in Rio would be emotionally disappointing but shouldn't the safety, health and well being of our athletes be the priority?

I hope the decision to compete in these games wasn't made to keep the sponsors happy.

Simone Biles (gymnast) posted from the athlete village today. One of her teammates said the rooms had no electric outlets.

what a clown show.... the IOC needs a complete overhaul.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/27/16 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:

what a clown show.... the IOC needs a complete overhaul.

What they need is to be disbanded. Then in say 25 years, build a new IOC that is accountable for their actions. THEN you can hold the Olympics again.
tfan

PostPosted: 07/28/16 4:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Found a wikipedia article showing the total cost of hosting past Olympics. Unfortunately it doesn't break down the costs as to what had to be built. There must be a variance in cost based on how many athletic facilities the host country currently has that can be temporarily used without having to build something new.

The 2012 London Summer Olympics cost 14.6 billion

It also has this sad statement with regard to the $9 billion Greece spend to host the 2004 Summer Olympics:
Quote:
The cost of the 2004 Athens Summer Games has been cited as a contributor to the Greek government-debt crisis. Many of the venues lie vacant and rotting; the Independent newspaper reports as many as 21 out of 22 are unused.

Curious what the 22 venues you have to build for a summer Olympics are. I have always felt that the whitewater rafting facility must always have to be built and then gets torn down or left unused. But it just occurred to me that if that is really a sport, they must have to have those places being permanently used in a number of cities.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/28/16 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atlanta actually turned a profit on the games and almost all the venues are still in use now, 20 years later. Most of them were existing venues that got upgraded for the games. The 1996 games should be a model for future bids.

PostPosted: 07/28/16 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Atlanta actually turned a profit on the games and almost all the venues are still in use now, 20 years later. Most of them were existing venues that got upgraded for the games. The 1996 games should be a model for future bids.

I think you're recommending Minneapolis for a future site, with all their new and about-to-be renovated arenas.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 08/02/16 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Andrew Bogut upset about Olympic Village accommodation.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/17198647/andrew-bogut-lets-rip-quality-accommodation-olympic-village?ex_cid=espnfb

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 08/05/16 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

The only permanent site that I could recall being a bust was the Stone Mountain Tennis Center. Here is an article about some of the former Atlanta venues.

http://wtop.com/sports/2016/07/atlantas-olympic-venues-meet-varying-fates-since-1996/slide/1/

pilight

PostPosted: 08/05/16 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Ocoee Whitewater Center is still there. The river is only watered on the weekends, but it's open for hiking and camping all the time. They reportedly draw 300k visitors per year.

PostPosted: 08/08/16 5:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
this might turn out to be the worst Olympics ever. What a mess.

3 days in and I like them so far I don't have to live in Olympic village though Laughing

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/08/16 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given the current state of the world, and the funding issues in Brazil, I'm just really hoping we make it through the Games without any serious terrorist incidents. No explosions, no shootings; we'll live with the occasional drug cheat, leaking toilet or officiating debacle.

PostPosted: 08/08/16 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Given the current state of the world, and the funding issues in Brazil, I'm just really hoping we make it through the Games without any serious terrorist incidents. No explosions, no shootings; we'll live with the occasional drug cheat, leaking toilet or officiating debacle.

Amen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: