RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Alternative Women's Olympic Squad
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/29/16 4:57 pm    ::: Alternative Women's Olympic Squad Reply Reply with quote

I will understand a cricket-fest here. Don't think you'll be hurting my feelings.

But for those who might be interested, let's say we did things differently in this country with our national team. A player could only compete in one Olympic games and one worlds representing team USA. If you've done a worlds but not yet an Olympics, you're good for an Olympic team but no more worlds. If you've done an Olympics but not yet a WC, you're good for that WC nod but ineligible for any further Olympic teams participation.

If these were the rules today what would our current Olympic team roster look like? Obviously, to impose this thinking over the situation with no preparation or planning which we would hope Team USA would be actively doing if they were actually operating under these restrictions will create a shock to the system in terms of who is actually available this time out. But whatever, it's not going to happen so what's the harm.

Anyway. Also... the folks who run this, USA Basketball, wow... do they not have jobs for life apparently, or what. If I had the power to change all things I would put Becky Hammon in charge of Team USA. Becky, who famously experienced what it is and was like to know that she would never get a roster spot on her own country's Olympic team and took such a dramatic action to experience what it would feel like to participate as an athlete in the Olympics. Give Becky these rules and let her run USA Basketball. Clean house.

Shocked

PostPosted: 04/29/16 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I posted this elsewhere but it fits even better here:

Tell that to this guy. Al Oerter won 4 gold medals in the discus at the Olympic games in 1956, 1960, 1964, and 1968. And remains one of the most amazing accomplishments and one of the best stories in Olympic history.

Maybe the Swiss and Germans should send there 5th best bobsled teams so others have a shot. Or maybe the US Olympic T&F trials should pick others besides the top performers.

Or maybe they should do away with medals altogether and award participation trophies to all the athletes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP7ky3IvOLA

If I was to make a suggestion about changing the Olympics it would be to eliminate the jingoistic "battle of nations" by banning all national anthems and replacing them with a song of the gold medal winner's choice. Wouldn't it be better to hear something off of Earth Wind & Fire's "We are the World" instead of the SPB? Very Happy

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/29/16 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a tough one because you'd pretty much have to go back to 1996 and start allocating from there. For example, which Olympics do you use Sue Bird? And which one for Taurasi?

Then once you eliminated them, you'd have to construct the next roster.

It's an interesting idea, though ...

PostPosted: 04/29/16 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
This is a tough one because you'd pretty much have to go back to 1996 and start allocating from there. For example, which Olympics do you use Sue Bird? And which one for Taurasi?

Then once you eliminated them, you'd have to construct the next roster.

It's an interesting idea, though ...

That's reconstructing the past. I'm simply asking given my rules who would be available and viable alternatives to the team we have now? If this were to actually be reality then I would also suggest implementing it gradually. First two Olympics and WCs and you're done and then after two cycles get it down to one. But for us, I'm just curious about this year. Does anyone think that given these very restrictive rules that the US could put a competitive team out there and who would be the 12?

PostPosted: 04/29/16 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get it: Starting today ...

Well, all the oldies get their last shot

Bird
Whalen
Augustus
Catchings
Taurasi

Then I'd say this is the last dance for

Fowles
McCoughtry

If I can only use Griner, Moore, EDD and Charles once, probably not this time around -- and definitely not Stewart.

Leaving five spots for veterans:

Parker (duh)
Bonner

would replace EDD and Moore.

We need some punch up front, so even at the risk of being a Paris supporter, I think, choose from

Paris (bulk and just a few minutes each game)
Lavender
Bone

for Griner and Charles

Needing one more guard, choose from

Pondexter
Toliver

Or go with

Dupree

PostPosted: 04/29/16 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I get it: Starting today ...

Well, all the oldies get their last shot

Bird
Whalen
Augustus
Catchings
Taurasi

Huh? NO. lol. They don't get their last shot.

Players NOT available for the Olympics in Rio are every player who has played in the Olympics before.

Just eyeballing the current roster in between shoving popcorn in my face, that would leave...

Griner
EDD
Stewart.

I would add Sloot and Diggins to those and damn if I (almost) don't have a starting lineup. Who else?

PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got one. Shoni Schimmel. Don't give me any of this business about her weight. Who are we to judge? She's a Native American, for God's sake! What the heck is wrong with you people. Wink

Seriously, though. You have to be kidding me keeping Shoni Schimmel off of Team USA's Olympic squad. The girl can ball. You want to talk about an inspiring story? Get her even slightly in shape and you'd have had THE story of the 2016 Olympics and one that would have played very well in a country with a large native 'Indian' population of its own.

PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nneka! Thank you, myrtle. Wink

PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cappie's never played? Well there's your geezer for us old folks. Dupree has already done this though, right? If not, that's a shoe in there. Wasn't she a dandy in the last WCs?

I'm sorry. I'm declaring this argument for the jammer. Like Trump the other night. Calling the race instantly.

Knocking every repeat Olympian off this 2016 roster, using a very restrictive policy that Team USA would never adapt, and with no preparation or planning whatsoever, you can easily put together an awesome squad in place of what we're sending to Rio.

Griner
EDD
Stewart
Diggins
Sloot
Dupree
Nneka
Shoni Schimmel (By God)
Cappie
Lavender
Toliver
Chiney

It's doable, is my point. And, as we've said, if the reality was this then it would be incumbent upon Team USA to manage and plan these rosters better over time.

I just really believe anything is better than what we have now. Anything is better than entrenched immovable personal on and off the court at Team USA. There should be more movement through the ranks of the entire system. People have been doing this too long and that's why the bias is towards all the tried and true until they're closer to 40 years old than they are to 20. Not right, IMO, and not acceptable.

PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming everyone is 100% healthy, I would go with the following.

Guards
Alana Beard
Skylar Diggins
Odyssey Sims
Monica Wright

Forwards
DeWanna Bonner
Elena Delle Donne
Candice Dupree
Nneka Ogwumike
Chiney Ogwumike
Breanna Stewart

Centers
Brittney Griner
Jantel Lavender

Since age isn't an issue, I put Alana Beard on the team to be the veteran leader, and she can bring defense, and play the guard or forward spot. Skylar and Odyssey would be the main guards, but Monica Wright can come off the bench and give a breather to either of them and she can score and play defense.

The Forwards are obviously the strength of the team, DeWanna, Elena and Breanna can stretch the floor, Candice is a great high post player, Nneka and go in and out, Chiney can be another spark and she can give help to Brittney and Jantel in the paint.

I think I have followed the rules you set in this thread, let me know if I am off on a player and I will make the needed adjustments. And of course injuries would change players as well.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Cappie's never played? Well there's your geezer for us old folks. Dupree has already done this though, right? If not, that's a shoe in there. Wasn't she a dandy in the last WCs?

I'm sorry. I'm declaring this argument for the jammer. Like Trump the other night. Calling the race instantly.

Knocking every repeat Olympian off this 2016 roster, using a very restrictive policy that Team USA would never adapt, and with no preparation or planning whatsoever, you can easily put together an awesome squad in place of what we're sending to Rio.

Griner
EDD
Stewart
Diggins
Sloot
Dupree
Nneka
Shoni Schimmel (By God)
Cappie
Lavender
Toliver
Chiney

It's doable, is my point. And, as we've said, if the reality was this then it would be incumbent upon Team USA to manage and plan these rosters better over time.

I just really believe anything is better than what we have now. Anything is better than entrenched immovable personal on and off the court at Team USA. There should be more movement through the ranks of the entire system. People have been doing this too long and that's why the bias is towards all the tried and true until they're closer to 40 years old than they are to 20. Not right, IMO, and not acceptable.

Cappie Pondexter was on the 2008 Olympic team, and Kristi Toliver is not eligible as she has competed for the Slovak Republic in EuroBasket for Women in 2014 and 2015. Of course had the new rule been in place she may not have made the decision in 2014, but she did. Although her main reason was to make more money overseas, so it's possible she may have.

Candice Durpee has competed in the World Championships (2010, 2014) but not the Olympics, so I think she would qualify under the rules you have stated.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

Guards
Alana Beard
Skylar Diggins
Odyssey Sims
Monica Wright

Forwards
DeWanna Bonner
Elena Delle Donne
Candice Dupree
Nneka Ogwumike
Chiney Ogwumike
Breanna Stewart

Centers
Brittney Griner
Jantel Lavender

Since age isn't an issue, I put Alana Beard on the team to be the veteran leader, and she can bring defense, and play the guard or forward spot. Skylar and Odyssey would be the main guards, but Monica Wright can come off the bench and give a breather to either of them and she can score and play defense.

The Forwards are obviously the strength of the team, DeWanna, Elena and Breanna can stretch the floor, Candice is a great high post player, Nneka and go in and out, Chiney can be another spark and she can give help to Brittney and Jantel in the paint.

I think I have followed the rules you set in this thread, let me know if I am off on a player and I will make the needed adjustments. And of course injuries would change players as well.

Hello. Injuries are a lot less of a potential problem with your squad than with what we have now.

PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This thread makes no sense. Once the Olympics allowed professional basketball players, the 4 year window of college was gone.
The Olympics are about the best. Period.
Obviously, individual qualification sports is measured. Team selection is open for debate by each country, but term limits makes no sense.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Guards
Alana Beard
Skylar Diggins
Odyssey Sims
Monica Wright

Forwards
DeWanna Bonner
Elena Delle Donne
Candice Dupree
Nneka Ogwumike
Chiney Ogwumike
Breanna Stewart

Centers
Brittney Griner
Jantel Lavender

Hello. Injuries are a lot less of a potential problem with your squad than with what we have now.

4 of the players have had pretty big injuries within the last year and a half or so, and there are 3 that I don't know the exact status of, but presumably they are almost back and ready to go. (Others who follow their teams more closely would probably know more about where they are than I as well)

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LFO wrote:
This thread makes no sense. Once the Olympics allowed professional basketball players, the 4 year window of college was gone.
Obviously, individual qualification sports is measured. Team selection is open for debate by each country, but term limits makes no sense.

Good lord, it makes perfect sense. You may not agree with the premise or the solution but the idea that the BEST was placed on this team this time around with the exclusion of Parker or when Asjha Jones and Swin Cash played last time around is something that doesn't make sense. The Olympics are not only about the best, obviously. And this thread is the brainstorming of a fantasy scenario so, uh, yeah, maybe it's not for everyone.

PostPosted: 04/29/16 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LFO wrote:

I assume you don't like this year's roster then because being "about the best" obviously had little or nothing to do with it.

Luuuc
#NATC

jammerbirdi wrote:
LFO wrote:

Good lord, it makes perfect sense. You may not agree with the premise or the solution but the idea that the BEST was placed on this team this time around with the exclusion of Parker or when Asjha Jones and Swin Cash played last time around is something that doesn't make sense. The Olympics are not only about the best, obviously. And this thread is the brainstorming of a fantasy scenario so, uh, yeah, maybe it's not for everyone.

I don't know how much sense it makes, given that the Olympics is meant to be all about the very best of the best, but as a hypothetical exercise it's interesting and shows that the USA could still assemble a pretty stacked team under those restrictions (provided the selection committee wasn't on drugs and overlooking 10 worthy guards to put Shoni in there Razz )

Last edited by Luuuc on 04/29/16 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
GEF34

LFO wrote:

I don't agree with this type of restriction, but the Olympics already has restrictions that don't allow the very "best" to be in the Olympics in both team and individual sports.

And the Olympics are suppose to be about uniting Nations and people through sport regardless of differences. Obviously that has changed and not everyone feels that way and treats the Olympics as such, but that is what they are suppose to be about.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/29/16 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
LFO wrote:

I assume you don't like this year's roster then because being "about the best" obviously had little or nothing to do with it.

True. If it's about the 'best' in this moment now, we've left some behind and are taking some because, well, just because they are vets and have been there before... how about if we put Dwayne Wade onto the men's team so we would have a veteran presence? Gee, I wonder why the oldest guy on the finalists for the men's roster is 32...

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 04/29/16 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

I don't know how much sense it makes, given that the Olympics is meant to be all about the very best of the best, but as a hypothetical exercise it's interesting and shows that the USA could still assemble a pretty stacked team under those restrictions (provided the selection committee wasn't on drugs and overlooking 10 worthy guards to put Shoni in there Razz )

If we got rid of the nationalism and focussed on "the best" we could have a great Olympic tournament. Let corporations or other entities form teams of players without regrd to national origin. Or allow natons to enter multiple teams. It's done in a lot of Olympic sports. Then we could have 3 or 4 WNBA all-star teams. Or maybe a "UConn all-star team" or an SEC all-star team, etc.

The Olympic games is supposed to be a showcase for the best athletes but I'd guess that while 12 US players get to play, another 25 or so who are among the top 50 in the world don't get to compete.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/29/16 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, SMH about this argument now about what the Olympics are supposed to be about. Luuuc says it's about the best of the best. GEF says it's about uniting nations. LFO says something about since the whole thing was opened up to pros.

This is all a giant rabbit hole. We can all assert it's about anything we want to make it about. You don't get to tell me what it's about. lol. I mean, you can, but I don't have to accept it. I'll tell you what I think it's about.

It's about young people and athletics and the promotion of national participation and pride.

People, for instance, are going to poo-poo my suggestion of Shoni for the Olympic team. She is a Native American for crying out loud. We committed genocide against her people and they still are a population that exists in some never NEVER land of severely lowered expectations.

And she can ball. She's a professional. Out of shape, yeah. Maybe we have training facilities and capabilities in this rich country for our Olympic athletes. But she was the MVP of the WNBA ASG. She CAN play.

So, however, keeping with my idea of what it's all about, meaning national pride and participation, what would it mean to have Shoni Schimmel on the Olympic squad. And believe me, this isn't the first time anyone has had this conversation. It was a conversation that occurred. Think of the tears of pride that would roll down the faces of Native Americans in this country who have had NOTHING like this in years to get behind.

Who among us can possibly think that the Olympics and Team USA shouldn't be about that? Well, whatever. We're all entitled to our opinions.

Leave Shoni off the team. Whatever. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 04/29/16 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Yeah, SMH about this argument now about what the Olympics are supposed to be about. Luuuc says it's about the best of the best. GEF says it's about uniting nations. LFO says something about since the whole thing was opened up to pros.

This is all a giant rabbit hole. We can all assert it's about anything we want to make it about. You don't get to tell me what it's about. lol. I mean, you can, but I don't have to accept it. I'll tell you what I think it's about.

It's about young people and athletics and the promotion of national participation and pride.

People, for instance, are going to poo-poo my suggestion of Shoni for the Olympic team. She is a Native American for crying out loud. We committed genocide against her people and they still are a population that exists in some never NEVER land of severely lowered expectations.

And she can ball. She's a professional. Out of shape, yeah. Maybe we have training facilities and capabilities in this rich country for our Olympic athletes. But she was the MVP of the WNBA ASG. She CAN play.

So, however, keeping with my idea of what it's all about, meaning national pride and participation, what would it mean to have Shoni Schimmel on the Olympic squad. And believe me, this isn't the first time anyone has had this conversation. It was a conversation that occurred. Think of the tears of pride that would roll down the faces of Native Americans in this country who have had NOTHING like this in years to get behind.

Who among us can possibly think that the Olympics and Team USA shouldn't be about that? Well, whatever. We're all entitled to our opinions.

Leave Shoni off the team. Whatever. Crying or Very sad

To go along with your post Tumua Anae became the first Native American female to win an Olympic medal when she helped the women's water polo team win Olympic Gold in 2012. It would be awesome if Shoni or other Native American females were able to follow in those footsteps and represent the USA in international competitions and win a medal.

LFO

PostPosted: 04/29/16 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To qualify for the Olympics.
I will again say that individual events are about qualification. Unfortunately, an injury or the flu or a bad day or whatever could prevent an athlete from qualifying.
In team sports, i am sure there has been
many discussions, in every country, about who was left off the national team in curling/soccer/hockey/handball/volleyball.....etc.

UK1996

PostPosted: 04/29/16 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd go with
PG: Vandersloot/Sims
SG: Diggins/McBride/Bentley
SF: EDD/Bonner
PF: N. Ogwumike/C. Ogwumike
C. Griner/Lavender/Bone

PostPosted: 04/29/16 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Tell that to this guy. Al Oerter won 4 gold medals in the discus at the Olympic games in 1956, 1960, 1964, and 1968. And remains one of the most amazing accomplishments and one of the best stories in Olympic history.

DOES NOT COMPARE. Period. Oerter was The Best in an INDIVIDUAL event.
Any number of the women on the Olympic Roster are NOT The Best at their position, but are there cuz 1: they can blend into an uber-talented TEAM. 2. Who they know.

When there exists this "embarrassment of riches", politics makes the difference.

myrtle wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
LFO wrote:

True. If it's about the 'best' in this moment now, we've left some behind and are taking some because, well, just because they are vets and have been there before... how about if we put Dwayne Wade onto the men's team so we would have a veteran presence? Gee, I wonder why the oldest guy on the finalists for the men's roster is 32...

Bingo.

Last edited by Howee on 04/29/16 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: