RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hardly Seems Fair To Quote Them Now
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanyogan

PostPosted: 11/14/05 2:29 pm    ::: Hardly Seems Fair To Quote Them Now Reply Reply with quote

Dems are getting hammered on the blogs today. here's a sample:
http://justoneminute.typepad.com/main/2005/11/hardly_seems_fa.html
November 13, 2005
Hardly Seems Fair To Quote Them Now

I haven't found Ted Kennedy's floor speech prior to the October 2002 vote on the war resolution, but here he is at SAIS on Sept 27, 2002. Early laugh lines include these:

But there is a difference between honest public dialogue and partisan appeals. There is a difference between questioning policy and questioning motives.

and

Let me say it plainly: I not only concede, but I am convinced that President Bush believes genuinely in the course he urges upon us.

Only later did Kennedy realize what a liar Bush was, and how important it was to question his motives. Well, Bush fooled 'em for a while....

[Mini-UPDATE: The rest of the Kennedy speech is cogently anti-war - folks looking for a Michael Moore tirade will be disappointed (I was disappointed). However, as TigerHawk observed, if Kennedy, a respected senior Democrat, was able to penetrate the shroud of Bush's lies, why weren't other Dems?]

Well. Showing a real comic flair, we have Jay Rockefeller, who is getting hammered by Captain Ed for his Sunday talk show effort.

Here we go from Oct 2002. This is pretty martial stuff, so don't read it aloud to your kids:

We also have to acknowledge that any military operations against Saddam Hussein pose potential risks to our own homeland, too. Saddam’s government has contact with many international terrorist organizations that likely have cells here in the United States.

Say it ain't so - a connection between Saddam and terrorists?

There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years. And that may happen sooner if he can obtain access to enriched uranium from foreign sources -- something that is not that difficult in the current world. We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction.

Bush lied.

...this time, our nuclear foe would be an unpredictable and often irrational individual, a dictator who has demonstrated that he is prepared to violate international law and initiate unprovoked attacks when he feels it serves his purposes to do so.

The global community -- in the form of the United Nations -- has declared repeatedly, through multiple resolutions, that the frightening prospect of a nuclear-armed Saddam cannot come to pass. But the U.N. has been unable to enforce those resolutions. We must eliminate that threat now, before it is too late.

Pretty scary. I blame Karl Rove's mind rays.

...He is working to develop delivery systems like missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles that could bring these deadly weapons against U.S. forces and U.S. facilities in the Middle East.

And he could make those weapons available to many terrorist groups which have contact with his government, and those groups could bring those weapons into the U.S. and unleash a devastating attack against our citizens. I fear that greatly.

I fear your second thoughts.

I am forced to conclude, on all the evidence, that Saddam poses a significant risk.

Some argue it would be totally irrational for Saddam Hussein to initiate an attack against the mainland United States, and they believe he would not do it. But if Saddam thought he could attack America through terrorist proxies and cover the trail back to Baghdad, he might not think it so irrational.

...At the end of the day, we cannot let the security of American citizens rest in the hands of someone whose track record gives us every reason to fear that he is prepared to use the weapons he has against his enemies.

Now remember, Rockefeller was on the Intelligence Committee.

As the attacks of September 11 demonstrated, the immense destructiveness of modern technology means we can no longer afford to wait around for a smoking gun. September 11 demonstrated that the fact that an attack on our homeland has not yet occurred cannot give us any false sense of security that one will not occur in the future. We no longer have that luxury.

Oh my goodness, no - the dreaded link between Saddam and 9/11! What terrible hold did Bush have over this poor man that could make him utter these falsehoods?

This is a difficult vote, but I could not sleep knowing that faced with this grave danger to the people of my state and to all Americans, I had voted for nothing more than continuing the policies that have failed to address this problem in the past.

...At this point, America’s best opportunity to move the United Nations and Iraq to a peaceful resolution of this crisis is by making clear the U.S. is prepared to act on our own, if necessary, as one nation, indivisible. Sometimes the rest of the world looks to America not just for the diversity of our debate, or the vitality of our ideals, but for the firm resolve that the world’s leader must demonstrate if intractable global problems are to be solved.

Acting unilaterally? Inexplicable - shouldn't we at least try to assemble a fraudulent coalition?

By my vote, I say to Saddam Hussein, "Disarm, or the United States will be forced to act."

Apparently in the margin of the original draft, an historian from the DNC saw this:

Note to self: Strike "Disarm", substitute, "Waltz with Hans Blix".

The Senator builds to his big finish:

September 11 has forever changed the world. We may not like it, but that is the world in which we live. When there is a grave threat to Americans’ lives, we have a responsibility to take action to prevent it.

Again with the forbidden 9/11 link? How can he show his face?

Well, that was then, when the Dems had an election to focus on. The Captain has the transcript with the current laugher:

WALLACE: But you voted, sir, and aren't you responsible for your vote?

SEN. ROCKEFELLER: No.

Bring it on. Send in the clowns.

UPDATE: Turn off the mind rays! Nancy Pelosi's tin foil needed refreshing on Feb 5, 2003 when she said this:

"Any decision about going to war against Iraq must reflect the fact that the clear and present danger to our national security is terrorism. The presence of al Qaeda operatives in Iraq and in so many countries in the Middle East and the rest of the world is troubling.

Fortunately, she was able to get back on message by June 2005:

Iraq is now what it was not when the war began - a magnet for terrorism - because the President invaded Iraq with no idea of what it would take to secure the country after Baghdad fell.

PostPosted: 11/14/05 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Van. You need to go through your post and use quotes. I don't know who's saying what.

If you're trying to make the case that the Bush administration didn't mislead us into war, or agreeing with the right wing bloggers you're quoting, that the Dems had the same intelligence, then you're going to hit a brick wall very hard on this board. We're not stupid. No one here is buying the administration's latest horseshit.

Dick Cheney said there was "NO DOUBT" that Saddam had reconstituted his WMD programs. He hadn't. And there was most certainly doubt. That's a lie that misled us into war.

Condie Rice said the aluminum tubes "could be used for no other purpose than enriching uranium for a nuclear weapon." That wasn't true and our own nuclear scientists were on record as saying it wasn't true and Rice had that information prior to making that statement, which she repeated over and over again. That's a lie that misled us into war.

The democrats did not have the same intelligence as the administration and the administration CLEARY had an agenda to invade Iraq from 9/11 on if not before. The briefings given to Congress did include intelligence that contradicted the administration's conclusions but that stuff was BURIED in hundreds of pages and those parts were all classified.

So the members were in the incredible position, even if any of them had read that far, of not being able to go public with the dissenting intelligence that they had in their hands.

The administration put on a performance pre-war that was unrelenting and unmistakable. Saddam was a threat to the US and we needed to take him out. All happy horseshit that has resulted in over 2000 wasted US lives, 17,000 crippling US injuries and amputations, tens of thousands, if not HUNDREDS of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians, including countless children.

The drumbeat in this country now should be for Bush to resign. He's a disgrace. Every Democrat who can't now claim that his or her vote for the war was a mistake should also be tarred and feathered, Kerry and Hillary included.

PostPosted: 11/14/05 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, Jammer, you actually have to go to the link, I just pasted the blogger.

Oh, here's another one, bloggers are really hitting back at the "Bush Lied", BS.

http://www.glennbeck.com/news/01302004.shtml

But the best is Captain Ed pointing out that this beauty by Jay Rockefeller, RANKING (D) on the Senate Intelligence committee.

Jay's Bogus Journey?

A number of CQ readers caught something significant that I missed earlier in the quote from Jay Rockefeller. In trying to attack George Bush and fend off Chris Wallace, Rockefeller tells Wallace that he went out to Arab leaders to conduct his own foreign policy:

Quote:
SEN. ROCKEFELLER: No. The – I mean, this question is asked a thousand times and I'll be happy to answer it a thousand times. I took a trip by myself in January of 2002 to Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Syria, and I told each of the heads of state that it was my view that George Bush had already made up his mind to go to war against Iraq – that that was a predetermined set course which had taken shape shortly after 9/11.

Now, what the hell was Rockefeller doing revealing his analysis of American foreign policy and the direction of war strategy to Bashar Assad??

If this is true, Rockefeller should get ejected from the Senate and possibly stand trial for treason. In 2002, we were at war against Islamofascist terrorists, and Syria has long been listed by the US State Department as a terrorist-supporting state. What Rockefeller admitted was conspiring with the enemy during a state of war -- and he should be held accountable, especially considering his admission of the act on national television.

UPDATE: One of the readers that pointed out this passage to me, Mark H., notes that Rockefeller's conversation with Bashar Assad may have given Saddam Hussein 14 months to collude on the transfer of WMD to Syria, rather than the 6 we assumed he got when Bush wasted five months trying to get the UN to enforce its own resolutions. Another reader, Jay Tea from Wizbang!, suggests a prosecution under the Logan Act.

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/

PostPosted: 11/14/05 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
Sorry, Jammer, you actually have to go to the link, I just pasted the blogger.

Oh, here's another one, bloggers are really hitting back at the "Bush Lied", BS.

But the best is Captain Ed pointing out that this beauty by Jay Rockefeller, RANKING (D) on the Senate Intelligence committee.

Jay's Bogus Journey?

A number of CQ readers caught something significant that I missed earlier in the quote from Jay Rockefeller. In trying to attack George Bush and fend off Chris Wallace, Rockefeller tells Wallace that he went out to Arab leaders to conduct his own foreign policy:

Quote:
SEN. ROCKEFELLER: No. The – I mean, this question is asked a thousand times and I'll be happy to answer it a thousand times. I took a trip by myself in January of 2002 to Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Syria, and I told each of the heads of state that it was my view that George Bush had already made up his mind to go to war against Iraq – that that was a predetermined set course which had taken shape shortly after 9/11.

Now, what the hell was Rockefeller doing revealing his analysis of American foreign policy and the direction of war strategy to Bashar Assad??

If this is true, Rockefeller should get ejected from the Senate and possibly stand trial for treason. In 2002, we were at war against Islamofascist terrorists, and Syria has long been listed by the US State Department as a terrorist-supporting state. What Rockefeller admitted was conspiring with the enemy during a state of war -- and he should be held accountable, especially considering his admission of the act on national television.

UPDATE: One of the readers that pointed out this passage to me, Mark H., notes that Rockefeller's conversation with Bashar Assad may have given Saddam Hussein 14 months to collude on the transfer of WMD to Syria, rather than the 6 we assumed he got when Bush wasted five months trying to get the UN to enforce its own resolutions. Another reader, Jay Tea from Wizbang!, suggests a prosecution under the Logan Act.

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/

Oh puhleeze. Over a hundred thousand dead humans and no WMDs and you're going to sit here and carry water for the Bush administration? These people you're quoting don't have valid viewpoints. They're part of the machine. You think 6 and 7 figure Haliburton people don't know where political fights are fought these days? You're not on the payroll, how is it that you've been so suckered?

PostPosted: 11/14/05 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003 | Source

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002 | Source

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
- President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998 | Source

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
- President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998 | Source

"We must stop Saddam from ever again jeopardizing the stability and security of his neighbors with weapons of mass destruction."
- Madeline Albright, Feb 1, 1998 | Source

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
- Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998 | Source

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
Letter to President Clinton.
- (D) Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, others, Oct. 9, 1998 | Source

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
- Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998 | Source

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
- Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999 | Source

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e means of delivering them."
- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002 | Source

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002 | Source

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002 | Source

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002 | Source

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
- Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002 | Source

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
- Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002 | Source

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002 | Source

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002 | Source

PostPosted: 11/14/05 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:

You want to post quotes from Glenn Beck's website. Why don't you quote Glenn Beck? And then explain what you're doing quoting from Glenn Beck.

Here's who the guy is. In his own words. Regarding the victims of both Hurricane Katrina and 9/11.

From the September 9 broadcast of The Glenn Beck Program:

BECK: "Let me be real honest with you. I don't think anybody on talk radio -- I don't think anybody in their right mind is going to say this out loud -- but I wonder if I'm the only one that feels this way. Yesterday, when I saw the ATM cards being handed out, the $2,000 ATM cards, and they were being handed out at the Astrodome. And they actually had to close the Astrodome and seal it off for a while because there was a near-riot trying to get to these ATM cards. My first thought was, it's not like they're going to run out of the $2,000 ATM cards. You can wait! You know, stand in line.

When you are rioting for these tickets, or these ATM cards, the second thing that came to mind was -- and this is horrible to say, and I wonder if I'm alone in this -- you know it took me about a year to start hating the 9-11 victims' families? Took me about a year. And I had such compassion for them, and I really wanted to help them, and I was behind, you know, "Let's give them money, let's get this started." All of this stuff. And I really didn't -- of the 3,000 victims' families, I don't hate all of them. Probably about 10 of them. And when I see a 9-11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, "Oh shut up!" I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining.

But the second thought I had when I saw these people and they had to shut down the Astrodome and lock it down, I thought: I didn't think I could hate victims faster than the 9-11 victims. These guys -- you know it's really sad. We're not hearing anything about Mississippi. We're not hearing anything about Alabama. We're hearing about the victims in New Orleans. This is a 90,000-square-mile disaster site, New Orleans is 181 square miles. A hundred and -- 0.2 percent of the disaster area is New Orleans! And that's all we're hearing about, are the people in New Orleans. Those are the only ones we're seeing on television are the scumbags -- and again, it's not all the people in New Orleans. Most of the people in New Orleans got out! It's just a small percentage of those who were left in New Orleans, or who decided to stay in New Orleans, and they're getting all the attention. It's exactly like the 9-11 victims' families. There's about 10 of them that are spoiling it for everybody. "

This is an orchestrated push back by the Bush administration at Democrats who, like the rest of the American people, LIKE ME, who argued FOR THE WAR on the ESPN board based on the WMDs, were BAMBOOZLED by the Bush administration. Misled, in the post 9/11 atmosphere of emotion, into war based on cherry picked horseshit by a neo-con CABAL.

It's not going to pass the smell test no matter how many quotes are pulled up by right wing radio blond haired blue eyed PIGS who blog.

The reason is that Americans IDENTIFY with the Democrats on this one. MANY, the majority, what is it? 58%? Feel they were MISLED by the BUSH ADMINISTRATION into the war in Iraq.

The argument is hopeless and these last three years of Bush are going to be a three ring circus for all of us who hate this administration.

PostPosted: 11/14/05 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://warnerkirby.blogs.com/spencerian/2005/09/frankly_we_want.html

PostPosted: 11/14/05 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
http://warnerkirby.blogs.com/spencerian/2005/09/frankly_we_want.html

Quote:
This is an orchestrated push back by the Bush administration at Democrats who, like the rest of the American people, LIKE ME, who argued FOR THE WAR on the ESPN board based on the WMDs, were BAMBOOZLED by the Bush administration. Misled, in the post 9/11 atmosphere of emotion, into war based on cherry picked horseshit by a neo-con CABAL.

I'm not sure I'd admit that if I were you Jammer. This war was about Regime change, I had my doubts about WMD, at least stockpiles, from the very beginning. All you have to do is get inside Saddam's world.

1) The guy lived in concentric circles of security, each designed to repell the other. Paranoid is a good word. So with all this paranoia, he is supposed to have mass quanties of WMD lying around that could be used agaist him.

2) In 1990, he actually DID have them, and they were stock piled. He knew we knew he had them. It didn't stop us in 1990 did it? So right away you know he doesn't believe it would stop us in 2003.

He had inspectors running around all over the place, albeit he could stop them any time he wanted, but what would be the point of a stock pile in 2003 anyway? No he had WMD, just enough to be dangerous (give them to terrorists) but not enough to make it hard to get rid of them.

Saddam wanted his own people to believe he had stock piles, and apparently they did.

Jammer, if you bought into the WMD argument you forgot the first words out of Bush's mouth, "regime change". That was the goal, all along and everybody with half a brain knows it. I'm sure you knew it too. If you read the resolution Congress signed, it cites alot more than WMD.

After 9/11, Saddam had to go. That was the decision, and I agree with it 100%. The only difference between what Clinton said and did about Saddam, and what Bush said and did about Saddam was 9/11. Bush had the balls to do the job.

Last edited by vanyogan on 11/14/05 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 11/14/05 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/006989.php

(November 12, 2005 -- 02:27 PM EDT)

What a sorry, sorry, unfortunate president -- caught in his lies, his half-truths, his reckless disregard ... caught with, well ... caught with time. Time has finally caught up to him. And now he doesn't have the popularity to beat back all the people trying to call him to account. He could; but now he can't. So he's caught. And his best play is to accuse his critics of rewriting history, of playing fast and loose with the truth -- a sad, pathetic man.

Chronicling the full measure of the Bush administration's mendacity with regards to the war is a difficult task -- not because of a dearth of evidence for it but because of its so many layers, all its multidimensionality. It's almost like one of those Russian egg novelties in which each layer opened reveals another layer beneath it. Hard as it may be, in the interests of getting Mr. Bush past the phases of denial and anger, let's just hit on some of the main themes.

1. Longstanding effort to convince the American people that Iraq maintained ties to al Qaida and may have played a role in 9/11. This was always just a plain old lie. (And if you want to see where the real fights with the Intelligence Community came up, it was always on the terror tie angle and much less on WMD.) The president and his chief advisors tried to leverage Americans' horror over 9/11 to gain support for attacking Iraq. Simple: lying to the public the president was sworn to protect.

2. Repeated efforts to jam purported evidence about an Iraqi nuclear weapons program (the Niger canard) into major presidential speeches despite the fact the CIA believed the claim was not credible and tried to prevent the president from doing so. What's the explanation for that? At best a reckless disregard for the truth in making the case for war to the American public.

3. Consistent and longstanding effort to elide the distinction between chem-bio-weapons (which are terrible but no immediate threat to American security) and nuclear weapons (which are). For better or worse, there was a strong consensus within the foreign policy establishment that Iraq continued to stockpile WMDs. Nor was it an improbable assumption since Saddam had stockpiled and used such weapons before and, by 2002, had been free of on-site weapons inspections for almost four years. But what most observers meant by this was chemical and possibly biological weapons, not nuclear weapons. Big difference! The White House knew that this wasn't enough to get the country into war, so they pushed the threat of a nuclear-armed Saddam for which there was much, much less evidence.

4. The fact that the administration's push for war wasn't even about WMD in the first place. Scarcely a week goes by when I don't get an email from a reader who writes, "I always knew that Saddam didn't have WMDs. How is that you, with all your access and reporting, didn't know that too?" Good question. They were right. And I was wrong. But like many things in this reality-based universe of ours, this was a question subject to empirical inquiry. No one really knew what Saddam was doing between 1998 and 2002. And US intelligence made a lot of very poor assumptions based on sketchy hints and clues. But the solution, at least the first part of it, was to get inspectors in on the ground and actually find out. That is what President Bush's very credible threat of force had done by the Fall of 2002. But once there the inspectors began making pretty steady progress in showing that many of our suspicions about reconstituted WMD programs didn't bear out, the White House response was to begin trying to discredit the inspectors themselves. By early 2003, inspections had shown that there was no serious nuclear weapons effort underway -- the only sort of operation which could have represented a serious or imminent threat. From January of 2003 the administration went to work trying to insure that the war could be started before the rationale for war was entirely discredited. They wanted to create fait accomplis, facts on the ground that no subsequent information or developments could alter. The whole thing was a con. It wasn't about WMD.

Beneath these top-line points of dishonesty, there were second order ones, to be sure -- claims that the entire war would cost a mere $50 billion, insistence that the whole operation could be managed by only a fraction of the number of troops most experts believed it would take. Of course, these may be categorized as willful self-deceptions or gross irresponsibiity. And thus they are properly assigned to different sections of the Bush-Iraq Lies and Deceptions (BILD) bestiary than the cynical exploitation of lies and attempts to confuse proper.

In the president's new angle that his critics are trying to 'rewrite history', those critics might want to point out that his charge would be more timely after he stopped putting so much effort into obstructing any independent inquiry that could allow an accurate first draft of the history to be written. In any case, he must sense now that he's blowing into a fierce wind. The judgment of history hangs over this guy like a sharp, heavy knife. His desperation betrays him. He knows it too.

-- Josh Marshall

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 11/14/05 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:

Jammer, if you bought into the WMD argument you forgot the first words out of Bush's mouth, "regime change". That was the goal, all along and everybody with half a brain knows it. I'm sure you knew it too. If you read the resolution Congress signed, it cites alot more than WMD.

After 9/11, Saddam had to go. That was the decision, and I agree with it 100%. The only difference between what Clinton said and did about Saddam, and What Bush said and did about Saddam was 9/11. Bush had the balls to do the job.

Well good for you if 'regime change' was the button pushed by the neocons that got YOU to sign up for war. That wasn't how the war was sold to the American people and to say so now is just in error.

Come on.

As far as comparing the 8 years of peace and prosperity under Bill Clinton to the modern dark ages we are living under today, because you say Bush had the 'balls' to overthrow Saddam and Clinton didn't... I would offer in response that you listen to people like this Glenn Beck WAY too much. The Clinton administration did not push for or engage us in a ground war in Iraq.

Clinton was a WISE president. He was an inspired leader who believed in government as an instrument of positive change. OR... he was as close to that as we were ever likely to get at the time. But times, they are a changing.

Right wing radio and bloggers have a very well known MO by now. They exist to seperate Americans from their compassion. That's why Glenn Beck goes to the trouble of calling the Katrina victims left behind at the Superdome and those shipped off to the Astrodome... SCUMBAGS.

If you listen to evil idiots you're going to get caught up in it.

PostPosted: 11/14/05 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Clinton was a WISE president. He was an inspired leader who believed in government as an instrument of positive change. OR... he was as close to that as we were ever likely to get at the time. But times, they are a changing.

Ughh... I think I'm going to be sick. Clinton was about Clinton. LMAO, it beffuddles me to no end how Democrats, cling to this self absorbed talker, when all he really accomplished was establishing a permanent conservative majority. I love THAT about him Cool You can't name a single piece of legislation that Clinton initiated that accomplished anything beyond raising your taxes. And you call him a great leader? OBL declared war against us and he did nothing.

And BTW, Clinton bombed an "aspirin" factory in Sudan because Sandy the Burglar and terror genius Clark told Clinton that it was a WMD factory because intelligence reports had tracked Saddam's intelligence agents to the factory? Oh wait! But Clark said there was no connection between Saddam and OBL! Bush lied!

word
[/quote]

Jammer I have never listened to Glenn Beck, frankly I got the link somewhere else, it just happened to be where the quotes were. The guy obviously ain't to bright because he says he's about to step in it and then says it anyway. Duh... Glenn?

PostPosted: 11/14/05 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:

You can't name a single piece of legislation that Clinton initiated that accomplished anything beyond raising your taxes.

Presidents do not initiate legislation in our system of government, that's the job of the legislature. But I know what you were trying to say and my answer is this.

What the executive DOES do is offer a budget. Clinton proposed a budget for eight years. In that time the national debt and budget deficits that were the PRINCIPLE issues of the secular 'real' right wing before his election VANISHED and were replaced by surpluses. I remember so well arguing about the deficit (after 12 years of Republicans in the White House) with stuffy angry white rich boys who wanted to re-elect Bush I. (I'll never forget one asshole at the BMW lot in Beverly Hills. I'm there to look at a car and this bug eyed WASPY waspy dude, the kind the family worries about, is trying to sell me and mrs jammer on voting for Bush because of the deficits.)

It was a scam. That element didn't care about deficits. They still don't. Cheney said deficits don't matter and that's the word from on high. End of an issue. What would that right wing talk radio have said if VP Al Gore had said back in the first Clinton administration that deficits don't matter?

Don't you remember the real 'first' Angry White Male movement back in the early 90s? Young white college educated professionals who became a budding national force? It was a completely manufactured constituency. It was the early days of the vast right wing conspiracy. A false start. Clinton STUNNINGLY took away their issue and they had to move on to the politics of personal destruction.

Americans would (or should) want to give their baby toes to have Bill Clinton back in the White House.

PostPosted: 11/14/05 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

You can't name a single piece of legislation that Clinton initiated that accomplished anything beyond raising your taxes.

Presidents do not initiate legislation in our system of government, that's the job of the legislature. But I know what you were trying to say and my answer is this.

What the executive DOES do is offer a budget. Clinton proposed a budget for eight years. In that time the national debt and budget deficits that were the PRINCIPLE issues of the secular 'real' right wing before his election VANISHED and were replaced by surpluses. I remember so well arguing with stuffy angry white rich boys about the deficit (after 12 years of Republicans in the White House) who wanted to re-elect Bush I.

Don't you remember the real 'first' Angry White Male movement back in the early 90s? Young white college educated professionals who became a budding national force? It was a completely manufactured constituency. It was the early days of the vast right wing conspiracy. A false start. Clinton STUNNINGLY took away their issue and they had to move on to the politics of personal destruction.

America would (or should) want to give their baby toe to have Bill Clinton back in the White House.

Jammer Clinton NEVER proposed a balanced budget, at least not one that would balance while he was in office. As far as I know he never proposed to cut any spending, except defense of course. The economy balanced the budget. A lot of it was wind fall capital gains taxes from the stock market bubble and a lot was the so-called "peace dividend". Yea right.

And as for Halliburton I want you to look at two names on the board of directors of Schlumberger.

http://www.slb.com/content/about/board.asp?

Board of Directors

* John Deutch
* Jamie S. Gorelick
* Andrew Gould
* Tony Isaac
* Adrian Lajous
* Andre Levy-Lang
* Michael E. Marks
* Didier Primat
* Tore I. Sandvold
* Nicolas Seydoux
* Linda Gillespie Stuntz
* Rana Talwar

Look at the top two names on this list, and they were their while the 9/11 commission was in session.

PostPosted: 11/14/05 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

What the executive DOES do is offer a budget. Clinton proposed a budget for eight years. In that time the national debt and budget deficits that were the PRINCIPLE issues of the secular 'real' right wing before his election VANISHED and were replaced by surpluses. I remember so well arguing with stuffy angry white rich boys about the deficit (after 12 years of Republicans in the White House) who wanted to re-elect Bush I.

America would (or should) want to give their baby toe to have Bill Clinton back in the White House.

Jammer Clinton NEVER proposed a balanced budget, at least not one that would balance while he was in office. As far as I know he never proposed to cut any spending, except defense of course. The economy balanced the budget.

Clinton's proposed budgets were responsible and an important part of the process of taking the country from the deep hole it was in to the surpluses. Lot of factors in the economy and the booms could be traced right to Bill Clinton and the influence of his administration. He could have very easily blown those surpluses had he been the tax and spend liberal that you are still insinuating he was with your statement that he never cut spending. Clinton had the right people in the right places but it was HIS INTENT NOT to wreck the budget and piss away the national treasure.

Compare that to these evil fiends who are in power now.

My only wish is that someday we could see these people tried in a court of law for what they've done to this country. On that count, we have one down and couple dozen more to go.

PostPosted: 11/14/05 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yea, giving people their own money back is pure evil.

But it's like you said, Congress spends money, not the President. Who controlled Congress when the budget was balanced? Yep you got that right.

You dodged that Schlumbeger item. So it's wrong for a retired CEO of Halliburton to be Vice President, buts it's OK for the former Clinton CIA director and a 9/11 commissioner to be active on the board of Halliburton's chief competitor and French Oil Company!

Fuck it, your logic isn't worth debating. Besides, Bush won, he ain't running for anything. So you Dems just keep running backwards. Heh, it's working so far.

LMAO...

PostPosted: 11/14/05 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:

But it's like you said, Congress spends money, not the President. Who controlled Congress when the budget was balanced? Yep you got that right.

You dodged that Schlumbeger item. So it's wrong for a retired CEO of Halliburton to be Vice President, buts it's OK for the former Clinton CIA director and a 9/11 commissioner to be active on the board of Halliburton's chief competitor and French Oil Company!

Fuck it, your logic isn't worth debating. Besides, Bush won, he ain't running for anything. So you Dems just keep running backwards. Heh, it's working so far.

LMAO...

Uh my logic says that debating Bill Clinton's effect on the balanced budget all these years after Bush pissed away the surplus is a very silly endeavor. I didn't dodge the "Schumburger item" it's just that, see, because I'm not tuned into what they're saying on FOXNEWS I wasn't up to speed on the fact that some of the 9/11 commisioners are now designated targets of the right wing scheme machine.

So tell me, what is the impropriety that is being alleged? I don't have time to get up to speed.

The connection between Cheney, Haliburton, and all things having to do with the war in Iraq are very very clear ethical conflicts and should be very scary to all Americans. That is a well established and traditional corruption model. Haliburton may be more in control of your government right now than those that were elected to control it.

What exactly did the 9/11 commisioners you've mentioned DO while serving on that commision that benefited the oil company they worked for? Clue me in and I'll respond.

PostPosted: 11/15/05 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

LMAO...

Uh my logic says that debating Bill Clinton's effect on the balanced budget all these years after Bush pissed away the surplus is a very silly endeavor. I didn't dodge the "Schumburger item" it's just that, see, because I'm not tuned into what they're saying on FOXNEWS I wasn't up to speed on the fact that some of the 9/11 commisioners are now designated targets of the right wing scheme machine.

So tell me, what is the impropriety that is being alleged? I don't have time to get up to speed.

The connection between Cheney, Haliburton, and all things having to do with the war in Iraq are very very clear ethical conflicts and should be very scary to all Americans. That is a well established and traditional corruption model. Haliburton may be more in control of your government right now than those that were elected to control it.

What exactly did the 9/11 commisioners you've mentioned DO while serving on that commision that benefited the oil company they worked for? Clue me in and I'll respond.

The question is what exactly did Cheney do? Halliburton is in Iraq because they are the best contractor. As they were in Kosovo and in Vietnam(A Democrat led War), and nobody is standing in line to take Halliburton's place. In fact at one time Lady Bird Johnson owned 51% of Halliburton's stock, in the late 70's and Early 80's I believe. Halliburton was classified by the government as a woman owned business! If Halliburton did have competition, it would be Sclumberger. Certainly they are the chief rival in the oil service business.

The 9/11 commission was highly political. Gorelick should have had to testify publiclyon her involvement in the "wall" between foreign and domestic intelligence. The conflict of interest is obvious, any problems in Iraq, any problems for Halliburton will benefit Schlumber and Gorelick et al. Unlike Cheney, Gorelick actually owns Schlumberger stock. As to the answer of Halliburton and Schlumberger, these are both multinational and publicly traded companies. You see, as long as you don't benefit from the success of Halliburton OR Schlumberger, there is no conflict of interest. Cheney does not benefit from Halliburton. He has a retirement income that has been donated to charity. As for CIA director Deutch, he is highly qualified for a board position in the oil business. But my concern would be having a former CIA director on the board of a foreign chartered corp. I would go further and say they shouldn't be allowed to sit on the board of any multinational Corp. They know too fucking much. If you are a multinational oil company, your biggest risk is political and internal strife in the country you want to do business in. A CIA director, and the contacts they would have, is "inside" information no matter how you parse it. His CIA knowlege is invaluable and anything he says or doesn't say is inevitably going to migrate to foreign intelligence agencies including the French.

The most interesting answer to your question is rather obvious isn't it? Schlumberger fails to disclose, for good reason I assume, Gorelick and Deutch's most influencial and important credentials. No where in their bios do they mention CIA Director nor Deputy Attorney General of the United States. Why is that?

PostPosted: 11/15/05 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:

LMAO...

Yep, lets give people their money back, even though they use all the tax supported services like the post office and the public schools and the roads.
What is wrong with people today?
I was raised by a family who fled communist poland and I was raised to believe paying taxes was a priviledge and a right that Americans were duty bound to do because our taxes were creating the greatest country in the world, what a wicked concept huh?
I know, it makes me odd Rolling Eyes

and don't get me started on the war....we had the man contained if we knew he had weapons and terrorists camps why didn't we just carpet bomb them? Why invade....hmm, oil you say Shocked

PostPosted: 11/15/05 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

LMAO...

Yep, lets give people their money back, even though they use all the tax supported services like the post office and the public schools and the roads.

The post office charges when you use it, it's not even supported by taxes. Public schools and roads are predominantly funded by state and local governments, and in cases where it's not it should be. Sending $1 to Washington so they can send 48 cents back to be spent on my local roads and schools is a very poor way to run things.

I don't object to a reasonable amount of tax. I just want to get my money's worth in return for it.

PostPosted: 11/15/05 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
caune wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

LMAO...

The post office charges when you use it, it's not even supported by taxes. Public schools and roads are predominantly funded by state and local governments, and in cases where it's not it should be. Sending $1 to Washington so they can send 48 cents back to be spent on my local roads and schools is a very poor way to run things.

I don't object to a reasonable amount of tax. I just want to get my money's worth in return for it.

hmm, maybe you should run for office so you can have a say Wink

PostPosted: 11/15/05 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:

Laughing

My tolerance for BS is too low for that.

PostPosted: 11/15/05 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
caune wrote:

Laughing

My tolerance for BS is too low for that.

Two years in the Washington cesspool and pilight would come back expelling all the great reasons we should elect him again so he can take other peoples taxes and bring them home to us! Wooohooo!

PostPosted: 11/15/05 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sending $1 to Washington so they can send 48 cents back to be spent on my local roads and schools is a very poor way to run things.

i thought you live in Georgia. It receives back more than it sends to DC. Looks like you got $1.69 for every dollar you sent in 2003.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/347.html#72f0da248998dbf3ec68a110a2e47031

I'm sending money to you. I'd be more than happy to keep it and spend it on my own Minnesota schools and roads if you'd like.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 11/15/05 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The post office charges when you use it, it's not even supported by taxes.

not exactly true.

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0302/031402w1.htm

http://www.taxpayer.net/budget/fy03appropriations/treasury.htm

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20040402-072153-2013r.htm

http://www.lunewsviews.com/psnews.htm

pilight

PostPosted: 11/15/05 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of the $34M Georgia received from the feds, $13M is spent on salaries and procurements for the military and other federal bureaus, not on projects directly helpful for Georgians.

In Minnesota it's $27M and $4M.

The Tax Foundation folks like to lump all of that together, even though the benefit to Georgians of having military bases and federal buildings in Georgia instead of Minnesota is pretty marginal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: