RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

jeopardy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/16/21 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This week's "Dead Man Hosting" episodes have been perversely interesting

PostPosted: 09/16/21 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ugh I don't even care anymore, well done, folks

Me too. This hosting debacle has pretty much ended it for me.

This will be the blueprint for how to ruin one of the most popular shows of all time.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
tfan

PostPosted: 09/17/21 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess Jeopardy decided that since no one was calling for Ken Jennings to be removed from The Chase due to his past tweets, that they could still use him.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/08/21 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone been watching lately? Mayim Bialik is the current host and she's doing an outstanding job, but the real interest is a contestant who's won 38 games in a row and is up to $1.5M in total winnings. Many nights, at least one of the other contestants doesn't even get on the board. I think he's better than Ken Jennings.

(I probably jinxed the guy, huh?)

pilight

PostPosted: 10/08/21 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also we had a platypus sighting in Final Jeopardy

PostPosted: 10/11/21 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Way to jinx the champ, FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/06/21 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Professors Tournament is on this week and the questions are noticeably more difficult than usual.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/19/22 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alex Trebek's 'Jeopardy!' pick Laura Coates says she was told 'no' after asking to host

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2022/01/18/jeopardy-host-alex-trebek-choice-laura-coates-told-no/6562134001/

PostPosted: 01/20/22 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight, why’d you choose that pic of Loyd? 😂

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/26/22 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone watch tonight? Am I the only one that thinks the long-running champion, Amy, who won 40 games and $1.3M, lost this game intentionally? There is absolutely no way she didn't know all the answers in that book names category, and I can't believe she didn't know the final jeopardy answer either. This is 2 days after she became the second all-time winningest player after Ken Jennings.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/26/22 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was shocked she didn't get the final. I had it right away.

PostPosted: 01/26/22 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I couldn't tell you the last time I watched. I used to record it, now, meh. Not even worth turning the TV on for.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/26/22 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I don’t think she buzzed in once on the book names and those were incredibly easy. I’m smelling a rat here.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/26/22 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Did anyone watch tonight? Am I the only one that thinks the long-running champion, Amy, who won 40 games and $1.3M, lost this game intentionally? There is absolutely no way she didn't know all the answers in that book names category, and I can't believe she didn't know the final jeopardy answer either. This is 2 days after she became the second all-time winningest player after Ken Jennings.

Why would she deliberately lose? Why give up being given large sums of money for knowing things? Why put yourself and the show in a position to be royally screwed (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950s_quiz_show_scandals)? Why settle for second-winningest? Why do it in the middle of a week when you're in town for the whole taping day/airing week anyway? (hell, why do it on Wednesday when you can do it on Thursday and soak Sony for one more free lunch?) The only conceivable reason I can think of is that someone, and a *lot* of someones, took the vitriol I've seen about her on the Internet to a higher level and she's getting death threats or some shit.

Believe me, even smart people forget or don't know the dumbest shit.

{edit: okay, I have accessed the clue, and I did get the answer... but I took enough time to think of it that I don't know if I would have gotten it before the end of the Think! music.}

(now with spelling variations)
Howee

PostPosted: 01/27/22 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Very Happy I had it quickly, too. (the "10 most populous" helped a lot!)
Hellz bellz....I hope she'd never *throw it* intentionally. It certainly was a helluva run! Cool

PostPosted: 01/27/22 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If she did it on purpose it could be the show, not her. They have to spend more money when these dominant players are going (particularly $75k a show Holzhauer) and it is a cheap show compared to Wheel of Fortune. Rather than give the players what they won as Wheel does (with $1k minimum), they knock 2nd and 3rd place down to $2,000 and $1,000. But while I and probably a lot others don't like these long streaks ... Jeopardy ratings soar amid Amy Schneider's winning streak. So the show may actually be happy about dominant champs.

I was thinking that she may have wanted to get back home and back to work, but if they tape five shows a day, that only means she would have only missed 8 or 9 days of work for her entire run, assuming they tape M-F.

Amy seemed to miss a lot of the Final Jeopardy questions in the last week (although not catchable in any of them). But what could have happened tonight is that she came up against an opponent or opponents who could match or even beat her button pushing speed. I think they should go to a system where the players push their button signaling they know the answer as it is read and then a computer randomly selects one of those to answer each time (or first person to push if no one hits the button before the question ends). That takes away any advantage players have from having quick reaction times.

Saw this article the other day: Former 'Jeopardy!' Champ Calls For Show to Reinstate Limit on Win Streaks.

Quote:
"After about two or three wins, I think you've got such an advantage," said Nichols. "You've been using the buzzer—which is much more important than people realize—you're a lot more comfortable in the studio; you understand the rhythm of the game."

Last edited by tfan on 01/27/22 5:20 am; edited 9 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 01/27/22 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*duplicate*

scullyfu

PostPosted: 01/27/22 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her brain must’ve been fried. At one point Jennings said she had answered 1000 clues correctly.! Fatigue, mental & physical, could’ve taken a toll. 5 games a session is tough.

PostPosted: 01/27/22 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amy gave an interview where she talked about the show's schedule's effect on her job. She would fly to LA for taping on Sun night, then fly home on Tues night, and spend the rest of the week trying to catch up at work before flying back again on Sun. Her bosses couldn't understand why her phone was turned off on Mon-Tues, and she eventually had to take a different position in the company, which I don't think was a promotion. Then there was the strain of not being able to tell anyone what was going on with her.

There was a book category last night, sort of a fill-in-the-blank before and after. Four of the five questions were about HS level. I can't believe she didn't buzz in for any of those. She just stood there like she was waiting for her opponents to finish the category.

The Art of ____ and Peace.

Anyone think she didn't know the answer to that?

Howee

PostPosted: 01/27/22 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Then there was the strain of not being able to tell anyone what was going on with her.

Wait. You mean she couldn't tell he employers she was on Jeopardy? I mean, I'd have thought she couldn't call home every night and say, "I won another $25K!", but....to keep her employer in the dark seems odd.

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Well, DUHH. Everybody knows it's "The Art of THE DEAL and Peace". Razz

PostPosted: 01/27/22 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Then there was the strain of not being able to tell anyone what was going on with her.

Wait. You mean she couldn't tell he employers she was on Jeopardy? I mean, I'd have thought she couldn't call home every night and say, "I won another $25K!", but....to keep her employer in the dark seems odd.

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Well, DUHH. Everybody knows it's "The Art of THE DEAL and Peace". Razz

She told them she was on Jeopardy. Neither of them watched it and couldn't understand why she couldn't use her phone, and she couldn't explain why she had to keep going back but couldn't let them know in advance.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/27/22 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Many people also speculated that Ken Jennings also lost on purpose. His question was fairly easy, too, when he went out.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/27/22 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IDK. If you were tired and burned out, had already won >$1M which is a life-changing amount of money for a lot of people, and the schedule was playing havoc with your personal and/or professional life, how long would you want to go on playing? It would be better just to resign than intentionally lose though.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/27/22 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember reading an article about Holzhauer and they mentioned he had learned (from the show folks?) how you hold it for best reaction time and possibly some other "buzzer tips".

In this quote from an article today Amy Schneider also mentions buzzer skills as a (unfortunate to me) part of the game:

"I could tell that he was here to play and that he was going to be good. I still came very close to winning, but I did feel like maybe I was slipping a little bit. And once it was clear that he was fast on the buzzer, I knew it was going to be a battle all the way."

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/28/22 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By the way, regarding the book category, as per Amy on her Twitter:

Quote:
Book Bindings seemed like a good category for me, but Rhone and Janice kept beating me on the buzzer, though I managed to salvage the $2000 clue out of it

So it's not that she didn't know those easy clues, it's that she got beaten to the buzzer, which is a key part of the game and its strategy.

(now with spelling variations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: