RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Politically Correct. Where is the line?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/01/15 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Self deprecation. Wink

I used that word, however it's spelled, to a neighbor lady. She looked at me like I'd shot off a gun. She informed me that it was a derogatory term. I'm like huh? And I said, it's okay, I'm Polish. I'm allowed! We kind of laughed about it but here's the deal. Again, I'm sorry, I guess I'm just out of the loop in terms of a number of topics, you guys are just failing me I guess, but I didn't KNOW that Polack was a derogatory name for Polish people? We fucking called each other Polacks! The other half of my family, we threw around the word Dago like it was a badge of honor! My mother, who was mostly Italian, although not from the traditional northeast wave, made Dago Soup. Taught to her by my sister-in-law the late great Maria Sabattucci. What are you going to do? We were real people! I bought a book of Polish jokes! I loved that book. It's all house-painters and bowlers. I got my ancestral identity from that book and it's probably why I don't GIVE a crap about what I am. I have ZERO pride in being either Polish or Italian. Any kind of cultural pride makes my skin absolutely crawl. I don't have it for my own and I don't have it for anyone else's. Okay, as bad as that is, you should see what I just deleted. lol. I'm done.

PostPosted: 09/02/15 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Haha. It's nice to veer off into topics a little less dark for a while. Did I say how my lawyer friend loves to collect lawyer jokes? We riff on them all the time (I'm not a lawyer, but there are plenty in my extended family, so I feel a sort of kinship). Some of our best material!

I like self-deprecating humor, though.

I've got no heritage to claim. Well, maybe Mormon handcart pioneers. Being able to trace your lineage to those badass mfers gave you some sort of standing where I grew up. Can you imagine pushing all your stuff across the wilderness in an effing handcart? I can. I once participated in a week-long Pioneer Trek. We only covered like 30 miles! I cannot even imagine. Those who survived must have been fierce!

Other than that Northern European mutt isn't much of a claim to fame. Wink Except in some quarters I guess. Just due to the blonde/blue thing. Nothing with such a rich culinary tradition as your background, jammer. I confess I'm a bit jealous! Cool

PostPosted: 09/02/15 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh my mother, come on. She's from Alabama so she was most deeply and organically a southern cook. Then she married a Polack and moved to eastern PA and had to learn all the Polish dishes like pirogies, nolli schnikies (sp?), halushki, these disgusting giant balls of meat they called Polish hamburgers, kielbasi, pork and sauerkraut, etc. I hated all those Polish foods. But my mother was Italian by blood and not so much by heritage until my oldest brother married a beauty right off the boat with a huge family... I think that would have been about 1961... and then she got seriously reconnected with the art of making good sauce. I actually liked my mother's sauce better than my sister in-law's. But really, this all sounds great but me and my sister hadhad a great deal of influence being of the first generation wherein foods and snacks where designed and marketed straight to kids and we ate a lot of processed foods as well. My mother would be the first to tell you that I was raised on Campbell's Vegetable Beef soup.

But when she would throw down a southern meal? Usually in the summer when you could get all the fresh stuff like okra and green tomatoes and fresh corn. Wow. Those were amazing meals.

PostPosted: 09/02/15 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My childhood foods were casseroles and jello salads. Also some stews. You know, things that can be mixed together to feed a lot of kids relatively cheaply. Mmm. Comfort food.

These days, now that she doesn't have a bunch of mouths to feed, my mother has discovered a joy in making tamales, carnitas, california rolls, some Indian masalas. All these wonderful foods I had to move to Seattle and come work for my current organization to be exposed to (through my co-workers)! Hey, it's lunch time! Cool

PostPosted: 09/02/15 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your mom sounds very wonderful and that is some serious culinary adventurism. lucky you.

And oh yeah... pots of stuff that we ate for days. probably the most common thing. aforementioned stuff but also Lima bean soup. Home made vegetable beef soup. We had incredible local Italian breads in Aliquippa. Fucking incredible. Tarquinios. Unsliced giant loaves. Crusty as all get out. It would have put il Fornao or Ca Brea out of business here in LA. Something about the water here I guess makes the bread just not as flavorful as back east.

It's all terribly politically incorrect. Wink

PostPosted: 09/04/15 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NH recalls book with incredibly offensive, sexually explicit cocktail names

https://politics.concordmonitor.com/2015/09/gov-state/happy-hour-turns-sour-nh-recalls-book-with-incredibly-offensive-cocktail-names/

Quote:
Titles include busted rubber, gang banger, stripper mom and panty dropper.

PostPosted: 09/04/15 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://politics.concordmonitor.com/2015/09/gov-state/happy-hour-turns-sour-nh-recalls-book-with-incredibly-offensive-cocktail-names/

Quote:

I just hate that sex and naughty stuff like this is considered the.. germ... the pathogen behind the fact that these kinds of things are now inappropriate... oops... I mean incredibly offensive... and off limits in our modern post-sexual revolution, world. And if it's sexism that we're after... I remember all my life woman leading the pack with this kind of naughty stuff. Saw it when I was a kid and saw it as an adult. I went to grade school, junior high, and highschool with girls throwing themselves at me. Not NEARLY as many as I would have liked but it did happen. Dry humpers on my leg in college. Who the fuck are we kidding here? I've had girls cat calling me out of cars in the deep south and rude ass working class Bostonians on the sidewalk with me. I've been chased around hotel rooms and had to trick someone out the door. And I don't know if any of you have ever seen me but I'm no fucking George Clooney. Okay? Men usually don't talk about this kind of stuff nor do we complain. But I mean come on. What are we doing here? (not here on Rebkell's... as modern enlightened humanity in 2015). You throw in the entire push back against sex here in the US which famously stems from Puritanism and restrains our behavior even today... the the world wide religious attitudes toward sex which often are enforced under penalty of death... Shocked sexual repression is a front line in the war against personal freedom and choice... and the biggest problem is that people who care are still getting theirs and can't be bothered to fight for more freedom or to lessen the stigmas and repression.

It's all bad. Cool

PostPosted: 09/04/15 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I just hate that sex and naughty stuff like this is considered the.. germ... the pathogen behind the fact that these kinds of things are now inappropriate... oops... I mean incredibly offensive... and off limits in our modern post-sexual revolution, world. And if it's sexism that we're after... I remember all my life woman leading the pack with this kind of naughty stuff. Saw it when I was a kid and saw it as an adult. I went to grade school, junior high, and highschool with girls throwing themselves at me. Not NEARLY as many as I would have liked but it did happen. Dry humpers on my leg in college. Who the fuck are we kidding here? I've had girls cat calling me out of cars in the deep south and rude ass working class Bostonians on the sidewalk with me. I've been chased around hotel rooms and had to trick someone out the door. And I don't know if any of you have ever seen me but I'm no fucking George Clooney. Okay? Men usually don't talk about this kind of stuff nor do we complain. But I mean come on. What are we doing here? (not here on Rebkell's... as modern enlightened humanity in 2015). You throw in the entire push back against sex here in the US which famously stems from Puritanism and restrains our behavior even today... the the world wide religious attitudes toward sex which often are enforced under penalty of death... Shocked sexual repression is a front line in the war against personal freedom and choice... and the biggest problem is that people who care are still getting theirs and can't be bothered to fight for more freedom or to lessen the stigmas and repression.

It's all bad. Cool

I'm of mixed minds on this. Trying to eliminate sexual references from drink names is just silly. You have to be 21 years old to drink, yet the names are ones that would show up in a PG-13 movie.

The one that did seem like a good candidate for a name-change, however, was "Panty Dropper". That one was a little rapey in connotation when associated with drinking. Not that I would classify it as "incredibly offensive", but it's not necessarily something that I would want my bartenders making/calling it if I owned a business.

PostPosted: 09/04/15 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's my favorite one! Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 09/04/15 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

It's a catchy name, that's for sure. I guess it's just one of those things where a few assholes ruin it for everyone. Sad

PostPosted: 09/04/15 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about the Panty Snifter?

No? Okay.

PostPosted: 09/04/15 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
How about the Panty Snifter?

No? Okay.

Lol. That name is awesome. Laughing

PostPosted: 09/04/15 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

It's a catchy name, that's for sure. I guess it's just one of those things where a few assholes ruin it for everyone. Sad

Yea, like rapists. Laughing

PostPosted: 09/04/15 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
justintyme wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Yea, like rapists. Laughing

Pretty much.

PostPosted: 09/04/15 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No. They shouldn't spoil the drink name Panty Dropper and you all shouldn't be okay with the fact that they have to whatever extent and in whatever circles that they have.

Just imagine it. But I guess we don't have to. Ah never mind.

PostPosted: 09/04/15 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
No. They shouldn't spoil the drink name Panty Dropper and you all shouldn't be okay with the fact that they have to whatever extent and in whatever circles that they have.

Like it or not, when people do stupid shit it changes things and freights words with ugly connotations. This is not an element of political correctness, it is simply how language works; specifically, it's how language morphs over time. It's been around longer than political correctness has even been a thing.

When jackasses started getting women drunk and raping them, it pretty much ruined that drink name. Had people not crossed that line, the name would not have the same meaning and no one would blink at it. But since alcohol is a huge weapon in the arsenal of the rapist, naming a drink a "Panty Dropper" just reinforces that connection.

PostPosted: 09/04/15 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

So..a Panty Dropper is something that has a certain quality that makes women drop their panties.

So, we're going to name an alcoholic drink..alcohol being THE main weapon used for rape in this country a "panty dropper"...

I mean, someone didn't think it through. (It's actually so badly thought out that it's funny..)

PostPosted: 09/04/15 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a million girls out there tonight who want a strong drink and to drop their panties. Here's to them.

PostPosted: 09/11/15 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love the way Laci explains things...but I think this sums up a lot of what's being said in this thread.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ukJoVHfEBGs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 12/16/15 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Female photographer on Facebook proves that everyday misogyny is a real thing

Interesting. Frankly, I fall on her end of the spectrum, in being rather horrified and annoyed, but many of the comments on this article (in this case they seem mostly male) go on to bemoan the lack of a sense of humor in liberals.
Quote:
It's not that a certain segment of Americans weren't already complete misogynists and bigots. They are. They have just been too ashamed to be public about it because the rest of us would pile on the minute they tried to air their offensive views. Trump and the bigots and misogynists who adore him sneeringly call this "political correctness". The rest of us call it "not being a complete and utter dick."

I feel jammer's perspective on not shaming people who are honestly trying to communicate just because they've grown up with a different "normal" than you, and may not have learned the same social cues, but at the same time, when you've seen the extreme, it's hard to let the small stuff slide as merely innocuous. Gotta nip that crap in the bud!

PostPosted: 12/16/15 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seriously?

I've been with the same woman for now 41 years. She has an important and demanding position in the big city. She must talk, talk, talk. Mentally offloading her day to me and then her and her sisters talk up a blue streak on the weekends. It IS taxing on me. And it is a source of actual strain but much more good natured eye-rolling and blank are-you-kidding-me stares. In other words, shared humor between a couple.

And then there is violence and misogyny in the world.

But the Daily Kos types don't know the difference. And yes, they go after some pathetic backwoods wannabe 'photographer' who has not the parents, money, education, political focus, or intelligence, to see the massively terrible act that she is alledged to have committed.

The class cruelty alone is off the charts -

In the description of her business, she says that she's a "newly established, local photographer" who "will do anything from family, to maternity, to engagement sessions and much more."

When she says "anything", she clearly means it

This last paragraph is one of the most perfect examples of the Daily Kos-crowd internet of outrage mentality at work I've ever seen this week. Politically correct in the extreme, downward firing, overly scornful, spitting mad, ugly, threatening, and, of course, both self-righteous and all-powerful.

Quote:
So, back to the closet with your hateful racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, misogyny and other intolerance. We're not having it. If we see it, we're speaking out loudly and immediately. If you refuse to evolve with the rest of society, you'll have to express your pathetic selves in the shameful darkness of your demon-filled closets where such expressions belong.

Or maybe just on Facebook. Which is kind of the same thing as a demon-filled closet.

norwester

PostPosted: 12/17/15 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait, wait, wait...jammer. Are you saying it would be more constructive to <gasp> have a civil conversation versus opening the dialogue with a shaming attack?! Shocked

I'm just kidding. I think things would go a lot farther and be more useful if approached less acerbically. Do I think these things need to be addressed? Yeah. But the method should consider the end result you're striving for versus some tirade that only makes one feel superior.

One of my pet peeves is taking something that was probably meant innocently and "making an example". Internet bullying, in this instance.

Is everyday misogyny so ingrained that it makes this card seem all right a problem? Yes. But you don't address it by destroying someone's life. Evil or Very Mad

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/17/15 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wth is the husband's problem- his wife looks hot to me.

Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 12/17/15 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
wth is the husband's problem- his wife looks hot to me.

Twisted Evil

blank blank blank blank

(laughing to myself)

mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/17/15 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Wait, wait, wait...jammer. Are you saying it would be more constructive to <gasp> have a civil conversation versus opening the dialogue with a shaming attack?! Shocked

I'm just kidding. I think things would go a lot farther and be more useful if approached less acerbically. Do I think these things need to be addressed? Yeah. But the method should consider the end result you're striving for versus some tirade that only makes one feel superior.

One of my pet peeves is taking something that was probably meant innocently and "making an example". Internet bullying, in this instance.

Is everyday misogyny so ingrained that it makes this card seem all right a problem? Yes. But you don't address it by destroying someone's life. Evil or Very Mad

exactly.

If it's innocent. If it's so ingrained in our culture, that the person likely meant no harm..then a civilized discussion needs to be had. Maybe someone will learn something.

I think it's important to get away from the straight white man perspective on the world. Other people exist. Other people's feelings exist. And as much as I agree that someone's life shouldn't be ruined because they weren't taught properly...the woman at the office shouldn't have to live with sexual harassment because it's a cultural norm, and it used to be okay. The black kid shouldn't have to live with welfare jokes in school. And Muslims in this country shouldn't have to be worried about retaliation started by an angry rant.

Words hold power and meaning. They can make others feel uncomfortable, ashamed, cause depression..lead to the employment termination of the victim of such words. Political correctness, in at least the way the younger generation uses it, is meant to challenge the status quo.

It's funny, all of these articles about college students being coddled. But that's not quite true. College students are trying to actively be involved in their education, and challenging the way their education is taught. Do they take it too far sometimes? Sure, but that's more from a basis of not being fully educated on the topic themselves, rather than from an attempt to shame or being too insensitive. To me, the coddled individuals are the ones having a tantrum over being challenged to think differently.

Ironically, I say this as I anxiously await the netflix release of "F is For Family." Created by one of my favorite comics, Bill Burr. Who of course is considered the "anti-pc" comic. (I don't quite see him that way, but that's another discussion.)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: