RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why Is Donald Trump Leading The Polls?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 03/15/16 5:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/3o7abkti7UphSopcl2" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Howee

PostPosted: 03/15/16 5:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^^LOL^^ Laughing

PostPosted: 03/15/16 6:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voting democratic is just going to have the nation follow Ct down the economic gutter with more and more government oversight and entitlements. ct is hurting real bad considering we are not in recession with its democratic government.

Yet the answer to this is voting for a person that might be able to do some good economically but drive wedges between people that could drawf racism of the mid 60s??? No frigging way.

He would be knocked off before ever taking oath and would probably be one of the few times there would be bi-partisan support.

Just about anyone I know that did enjoy tramp calling it as he saw it, now is just as disgusted with him. Yet, is it too late....

Either way, our country has already seen the best of times in my lifetime, probably in my children's as well.

Smoke'm if you got them.

I'm going to be splitting my time betweenthe beaches of San Diego and Maine as our country continues down the shittter with both be damned parties. They all suck.

www.barnstormingamerica.net
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/15/16 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, disgust is probably one of the more common responses to Trump and the entire spectacle right about now.

The Morning Joe crowd (the show was fascinating at certain points today) has been predicting, and then bashing at every moment of disappointment when the predictions don't come to pass, and that would be this fine day when Donald Trump finally pivots into "presidential" mode or comportment... or whatever.

And the disappointments have been crushing. The David Duke/KKK 'demur' as Joe calls it. The statement about Islam. The QVC Trump product display after a primary night where he enjoyed big wins.

I think anyone still waiting for the Trump campaign to make that transformation into a major party nominee, a potential POTUS, with all the leadership, class, judgement, etc. that role necessarily encompasses as leader of the free world, well, those people got their answer yesterday as to whether that could ever happen when once again Trump trotted out Sarah Palen to make an ass of herself on his behalf.

And this is with the nomination almost in hand. Shocked

This should be a moment when the Trump campaign should be hoping and praying that the Republican Party establishment were maybe starting to FORGET that day a few months ago when Sarah Palen endorsed him in a one-person word-salad food fight.

But no. lol. There she is again. Shocked

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 03/15/16 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/15/16 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trump breaks 50% in national support for the first time

Howee

PostPosted: 03/15/16 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay. HWB, I'm confused. I 'hear' your message in the following to be this: "Things here in CT are pretty awful, economically, and I thought Trump might have the solutions, but now, he's just too awful to vote for". (if that's not what you mean, please correct me)

Meanwhile, I've bold-faced the *confusing* parts, with the hope you can clarify more, cuz I'd really like to better understand:

HistoryWomensBasketball wrote:
1.Voting democratic is just going to have the nation follow Ct down the economic gutter with more and more government oversight and entitlements. ct is hurting real bad considering we are not in recession with its democratic government.

Yet the answer to this is voting 2. for a person that might be able to do some good economically but drive wedges between people that could drawf racism of the mid 60s??? No frigging way.

He would be knocked off before ever taking oath and would probably be one of the few times there would be bi-partisan support.

Just about anyone I know that did enjoy tramp calling it as he saw it, now is just as disgusted with him. Yet, is it too late....

3. Either way, our country has already seen the best of times in my lifetime, probably in my children's as well.

Smoke'm if you got them.

4. I'm going to be splitting my time between the beaches of San Diego and Maine as our country continues down the shittter with both be damned parties. They all suck.

1. CT's economy is THAT bad?? I thought most economists were in agreement that our (national) economy has made some real gains since the 2008 crisis. Though not a real economist, I have to say that, here in my corner of PA, I'm MUCH better off over the past 5 years than I was in 2008.

2. What economic policies has Trump outlined that were realistic AND guaranteed improvement?

3. "Best of times"?? You and I were both probably wee ones in the 60s, no?
I remember happy, carefree times then. I was a child. And my young professional years were good, too. But TODAY, I have more (materially) and have access to more GOOD things (technology, health care, etc.) than ever before. Today is part of my "Best of Times".

4. So you're planning on a bi-coastal lifestyle soon/currently? Is this part of your retirement? If this is what you're really doing, I'd say 2 things: Good for you! and, being ABLE to do this puts you among the 10% of wealthiest people in the world. Now, this isn't a bad thing--it's GOOD, no?--but....it makes me ponder how someone in this category might think their home state's economy has gone "down the gutter".

I'm really not trying to diminish anything about your experience: I only know what you've shared here. But I AM trying to understand how the thinking process is playing out in the head of a person who has claimed to see Donald Trump as a positive option. And I'm lost! Shocked

PostPosted: 03/15/16 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good questions.

CT is about 300 million in the red just until July 1 and then another 900+ million for next year and worse thereafter.

I am actually a person that grew up in a blue household and voted that way all the way though 2014. I am in a union as well.

That being said, each contract that comes up, they are looking for concessions. I can understand during bad times. Yet the last time we gave concessions, the money was taken by our Gov and given to 5 or more corporations to either stay in CT and add 200 jobs within 10 years or so or bring new companies in (companies like ESPN already in CT gobbled it up quick). That is just an example. I do expect more responsibility and do not think you can spend your way out of recession. My pay has gone down 500 a month since 2011.

Yet, I will say I am blessed. No college degree. 1 year trade school in computers. neither one of our parents owned a house. i moved 6 times in 9 years growing up because of alcohol in my family and the rent couldnt be met.

We skrimped and saved and bought a little ranch. While my friends were buying or leasing new cars, we were buying 8 year old cars. While they were buying lunch everyday or dinner a few times a week, i brown bagged a peanut butter and jelly.

others did trips to disney, etc. we did family movie night in our cellar.

We took the money left over and paid off our mortgage and bought a little place up north and did the same.

We lived for today while saving a bit for tomorrow.

San Diego...I wish. Just did a vacation out there and loved it more than Florida.

I guess for me, I have been socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

Have donated much time in helping children stay off drugs, band, learning how to read, saving open space.

Yet i do feel I am geting it stuck in the back a bit for how I have lived my life. Havent asked for much, but at same time, the govt is taking away from me what I plan to have my wife and I try to live out our senior years.

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 03/15/16 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, missed out on your top part. Yes, I do think Trump could have done more on a fiscally conservative side than Hillary or Bernie.

Yet, he is so damn dangerous in so many ways to all of us.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/15/16 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

....Yet i do feel I am geting it stuck in the back a bit for how I have lived my life. Havent asked for much, but at same time, the govt is taking away from me what I plan to have my wife and I try to live out our senior years.

This experience you describe would make it very understandable that Trump's preaching might sound appealing. I don't know the field you're in (IT?) that would have you earning $500 less/mo than 5 years ago; that's huge, to most of us in middle America. I'm thinking that isn't the general experience, though. I don't think lawyers, doctors, teachers, nurses, et. al., are taking less in wages. Have laid-off factory workers regained their jobs? I remember the mantra in '09: so many jobs were leaving FOREVER. All of this paints a very mixed perspective on America's current status.

What I REALLY wanna know is, what does Trump mean by making America "Great" again.....what's his definition of "Great"? Really. It sounds so....so....appealing! But what is "Great" for you and what is 'Great" for me (etc.) is probably very different. What is the definition of his bait terminology, ANDDD....how does he propose to get there?

PostPosted: 03/16/16 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@kumailn: This piece on Trump supporters by Samantha Bee on @FullFrontalSamB is pretty great.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zWlUgI4cB4M?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 03/16/16 4:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
@kumailn: This piece on Trump supporters by Samantha Bee on @FullFrontalSamB is pretty great.

Bee does what the rest of the media will do. Leaves off "temporarily" with regard to "banning all Muslims". They also leave off "illegal" with regard to mentioning his position about "Mexican immigrants". If he's Hitler/Mussolini/KKK Wizard, you can just use his actual words, there should be no need to edit them to make them worse.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/16/16 5:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:

Bee does what the rest of the media will do. Leaves off "temporarily" with regard to "banning all Muslims". They also leave off "illegal" with regard to mentioning his position about "Mexican immigrants". If he's Hitler/Mussolini/KKK Wizard, you can just use his actual words, there should be no need to edit them to make them worse.

She really fascinates me but this? First mistake was deciding on multi-ethnic well-educated subjects. I'm sure that was intended to provide some irony and make the bit different by providing unique opportunities for comedy. MMmm but that didn't happen. lol.

After the first couple passes at a resounding dressing down come back by Bee or funny facial expression... the word 'fail' started to pop into my brain. And then it took on the quality of a traffic accident where you can't look away for all the wrong reasons.

Her interaction with the black guy was actually WAY on the side of unfunny. Too not funny. Cringe-worthy and for the wrong reason.

Honestly, I hate to say this, but this would have been a comedy slam dunk, as it always is, if you'd just picked, as they always do, middle aged, under-educated, chosen WAY far from the streets of a modern American megalopolis white people.

Let's not forget the basics. Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/16/16 5:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

Bee does what the rest of the media will do. Leaves off "temporarily" with regard to "banning all Muslims".

You don't ban a whole religious group - even temporarily. On what basis? Oh, "until we figure this out." Let's ban Christians because of Westboro Baptist Church until we figure this thing out.

Dumb!!

tfan

PostPosted: 03/16/16 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Bee does what the rest of the media will do. Leaves off "temporarily" with regard to "banning all Muslims".

You don't ban a whole religious group - even temporarily. On what basis? Oh, "until we figure this out." Let's ban Christians because of Westboro Baptist Church until we figure this thing out.

Dumb!!

The basis is San Bernardino and Paris. It can be argued whether that meets a threshold and whether other immigrant groups have had similar situations, but he didn't come up with the proposed ban out of the blue.

Last edited by tfan on 03/16/16 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/16/16 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Dumb!!

It's unbelievable that this is even considered. You wanna put the ones here in camps like the Japanese during WWII as well?

PostPosted: 03/16/16 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
her interaction with the black guy was actually WAY on the side of unfunny. Too not funny. Cringe-worthy and for the wrong reason.

Maybe you're just not that familiar with Samantha Bee. That IS her schtick....what you describe is precisely what she's going for (or it wouldn't have survived the edit). Samantha lives for Cringes. Laughing

We all expect the middle-aged, undereducated chubby white guy to not have real insights or comprehension to The Hard Questions, but her irony--finding the same results with younger, better educated folks--is deliciously revealing.

PostPosted: 03/16/16 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
her interaction with the black guy was actually WAY on the side of unfunny. Too not funny. Cringe-worthy and for the wrong reason.

Maybe you're just not that familiar with Samantha Bee. That IS her schtick....what you describe is precisely what she's going for (or it wouldn't have survived the edit). Samantha lives for Cringes. Laughing

We all expect the middle-aged, undereducated chubby white guy to not have real insights or comprehension to The Hard Questions, but her irony--finding the same results with younger, better educated folks--is deliciously revealing.

Fail! lol. Not delicious irony. Or it wouldn't have survived the edit? lol. Like a) there is a God and b) God edits Samantha Bee's TV show. Forgetaboutit. They're perfect. If it was in there, it was golden. Criticism is not appropriate.

Too early. The bit wasn't funny. She looked bad. These people aren't professional pundits. Nor are they spokespersons for a candidate, let alone Trump. Not are they political writers. Nor are they on camera TV personalities. They had no time to prepare specific answers or years of training in how to deliver them on camera polishing how they look or sound. They did not write their answers, in the way that a TV show is written, and in the way that Bee's questions were most certainly written and conceived of beforehand.

And yet about half the time their answers weren't as stupid as her responses to them. She's no Stephen Colbert. He would have illimininated and exposed flaws in their thinking and produced some hilarious content. This, on the other hand, assumes or presupposes that you, the viewer, must find these people to be idiots going in on the grounds that they support Trump. We already think you're ridiculous, nothing you can say will change that and everything that you will say only bolsters our low opinion of you.

Just not funny. Those people held their own. They weren't unreasonable. They were wrong on a couple of points and inarticulate in a way that should be expected of anyone in other areas. Bee's comedic reaction to all of that was too often exasperation. Like this can't be happening. Why it can't be happening or why any of it should be funny is never something delivered to the audience and certainly not in a comedic way.

PostPosted: 03/16/16 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
\

The basis is San Bernardino and Paris

THAT is plain ignorant. ISLAM is not responsible for either of those. If that is the case then we might as well round up all the Muslims already in the US (citizens or not) and deport them along with illegal immigrants. Might as well temporarily ban people with brown eyes until we figuring this thing out.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/16/16 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That Samantha Bee skit is hilarious.

PostPosted: 03/16/16 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
tfan wrote:
\

THAT is plain ignorant. ISLAM is not responsible for either of those. If that is the case then we might as well round up all the Muslims already in the US (citizens or not) and deport them along with illegal immigrants. Might as well temporarily ban people with brown eyes until we figuring this thing out.

Are you saying tfan's thinking or Donald Trump's is 'plain ignorant?'

PostPosted: 03/16/16 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
....Yet i do feel I am geting it stuck in the back a bit for how I have lived my life. Havent asked for much, but at same time, the govt is taking away from me what I plan to have my wife and I try to live out our senior years.

This experience you describe would make it very understandable that Trump's preaching might sound appealing. I don't know the field you're in (IT?) that would have you earning $500 less/mo than 5 years ago; that's huge, to most of us in middle America. I'm thinking that isn't the general experience, though. I don't think lawyers, doctors, teachers, nurses, et. al., are taking less in wages. Have laid-off factory workers regained their jobs? I remember the mantra in '09: so many jobs were leaving FOREVER. All of this paints a very mixed perspective on America's current status.

What I REALLY wanna know is, what does Trump mean by making America "Great" again.....what's his definition of "Great"? Really. It sounds so....so....appealing! But what is "Great" for you and what is 'Great" for me (etc.) is probably very different. What is the definition of his bait terminology, ANDDD....how does he propose to get there?

The median household income here in CT was around 74k in 14. I am a bit over but less than 1.5x of that. Many I know are way above that. Yet with still having an orange couch (70s show style) and passed on furniture etc., we have been blessed with what we have.

Making America great again. I have no idea what Trump really means.

For me, it is all of us being respected as individuals and treated as equals. My family is very diverse. oldest Daughter is gay and to be married in about a year and a half. son in interracial marriage and other is with someone of drastically different religion. None of that matters, what matters is what is in the heart and soul. Is this Trump? Hell no.

That being said, while I have been a supporter of many causes to help others through donation of my time (and some $), I have had it up to the top of my head with people getting entitlements and doing little, if nothing to try and help themselves to a more self sustaining life. To make America great for me, this has to change.

I know I have some different view than others here. Thats what made our country great. we can all have different views and I respect all of them. The only time I dont is when racism (and it can be against people like myself), sexism and so on.

I want to be able to make the best life I can for my wife and I without being told what to do or worry that each year that goes by the govts (all levels) will be taking more of what I have earned.

I then want to be able to help my children and hopefully Grandchildren as well.

I want to be able to reach out and help my community come together and build better relationships and help those less fortunate with a hand in a step up, not a hand out to enable.

Trump isnt the person. Niether is anyone else on either side of the ballot.

sorry for long response.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/16/16 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
tfan wrote:

I would agree that the source of the hatred is not the religion. It would be better characterized as "people in the Middle East who aren't Jewish and have been pushed around and killed by the United States (and other Western states), and by the country artificially created by the United Sates and other Western states - rather than Muslims. Trump should have said he wanted to temporarily ban "non-Jewish Middle Easterners". Or temporarily ban people from the regions - like Syria - where we have bombed and killed.

In the case of Paris, they claim that ISIL/ISIS was connected to the killings. Since France had bombed them, that's a very good non-religious reason to attack back in the only way they can. We also bomb them.

There was an article in the Atlantic where they say that the goal of 9/11 was to get the US to either pull out of the Middle East, or come with a massive invasion that would drain the US Treasury and enrage the Muslim world, forcing the US to withdraw eventually as well. They got much of that, but the problem is that the US likes invasions, even if they don't go well and cost a ton of money, and Muslims can be enraged at the US and it won't get us to pull out.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/16/16 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOLGOP ‏@LOLGOP 6h6 hours ago
If Trump fans are prone to violence, we should probably shut the whole campaign down -- just till we can figure out what's going on.

PostPosted: 03/16/16 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
....or why any of it should be funny is never something delivered to the audience and certainly not in a comedic way.

As I figured, you just don't know Samantha B. And if you don't *get* her, or simply don't like her, that's perfectly okay. Comedy is highly subjective at all levels, and hers is a niche variety of it. But FAIL, she did not. Her objective: select a mixed ethnic/gender/age/educated group of Trump supporters, and demonstrate that you'll find little difference between them and the other (prototypically white, older, undeducated) supporters in their ability to clarify or validate exactly HOW or WHY Trump is a "good presidential candidate". She nailed it. Cool

#NATC

PostPosted: 03/16/16 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've loved Samantha Bee since she first joined The Daily Show, but that particular piece fell pretty flat IMO. I mean yes it did beautifully illustrate how wilfully blind people are prepared to be, but it didn't bring the LOLs you usually get from her pieces. It was more a cringe type response, from me at least.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 44 of 46

Jump to: