RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Penn State counters charges with revisionist history

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 10/19/05 9:06 am    ::: Penn State counters charges with revisionist history Reply Reply with quote

Penn State spokesman Bill Mahon is quoted in newspapers this morning as saying that the university's anti-discrimination policy is 'ahead of the curve', 'stronger than what the federal and state government provide', and 'until this week' concern about Rene Portland's basketball program 'wasn't even an issue.'

Regarding the anti-discrimnation policy being amended in 1991 to include sexual orientation [shortly after the Philadelphia Inquirer quoted former Lady Lions alleging Rene Portland discrimated against lesbians], Mahon says, "I know newspapers have speculated [why the clause was added], but it's all part of someone's imagination."

Check out this morning's Women's Hoops Blog response.

Rock on, Ted!

http://www.womenshoops.blogspot.com/

kinkitola

PostPosted: 10/19/05 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ted kicks ass!

PostPosted: 10/19/05 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

my tolerance for absurdity has been exceeded.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 10/19/05 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i'm willing to keep an open mind about a lot of this.

it's possible that Harris is fabricating her allegations, and just using the issue as a way to exact revenge on Rene. it's possible that since 1991, Rene has made honest efforts to comply with the policy. it's possible that when she now says (for the first time) that she supports the antidiscrimination policy, she's being sincere.

it's possible that the NCLR is just grabbing this opportunity to pursue and old vendetta. it's possible that they're just using it as a way to produce publicity (and fundraising dollars) for themselves.

i don't think any of those things are particularly likely, but they're possible. and Penn State as an employer -- and especially as a public employer -- has a responsibility to go slowly, investigate, and not prejudge.

but when the school runs around denying that this has ever been an issue before... claiming that they had no idea about any previous allegations that Rene discriminated against lesbiands... pretending that the history doesn't exist....

it's just too much.

and it makes me doubt their ability to handle this honestly and fairly.

the more the school stonewalls (no pun intended), the more likely legal action becomes.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 10/19/05 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Props from Stacey Geyer of The Women's Game.
http://www.nj.com/weblogs/womenshoops/

ridor

PostPosted: 10/19/05 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Women_hoops, I disagreed with what you have to say.

When Penn State lost to Liberty in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, Penn State Coach Rene Portland immediately removed two players from the team and did not bother to let them know. It was pretty awkward and bizarre situation.

Now, with the NCLR coming out in full force, it is easy to see why Rene did this.

It takes 1 + 1 to make 2, really.

R-

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 10/19/05 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Now, with the NCLR coming out in full force, it is easy to see why Rene did this.

easy to see why Rene did what?

ridor

PostPosted: 10/19/05 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KICKING THE CUNTLICKER OFF THE TEAM! Let's face reality -- you do not teach old dogs new tricks. Rene is old dog.

R-

P.S. I'm cocksucker, BTW. But has two sisters who are cuntlickers!

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 10/19/05 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow. i'm sorry i asked.

thatGAgirl

PostPosted: 10/19/05 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
KICKING THE CUNTLICKER OFF THE TEAM! Let's face reality -- you do not teach old dogs new tricks. Rene is old dog.

R-

P.S. I'm cocksucker, BTW. But has two sisters who are cuntlickers!

WTF?! Shocked

- Diana Taurasi
peaceplease

PostPosted: 10/19/05 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked Surprised Shocked Surprised

PEACE
ridor

PostPosted: 10/19/05 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, look at this picture. I'm gay. I got two sisters who liked women. I have other three siblings who are str8. I know what it is all about. It is so easy to read Rene's body language. She won't change.

AFter the loss to Liberty, two PSU players were suspended immediately and pushed out of their circle -- it was mentioned in the newspapers as Rene went out to bash these particular players. Immediately, on another mailing list which I subscribed, they identified who's who -- it was Jennifer Harris and one more player.

But reasons? Nobody knew until Jennifer Harris transferred to James Madison and perhaps when the dust has settled, she is ready to say something without being retaliated upon by Rene or PSU Athletics.

That does make sense in many areas. After all, if Jennifer said something earlier, Rene will make sure that she'll never play at another school.

R-

ridor

PostPosted: 10/19/05 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was interesting to note that Jennifer Harris chose a school that shocked No. 1 Penn State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in '91.

R-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: