RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

"Don't ask, don't tell"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/18/05 1:35 pm    ::: "Don't ask, don't tell" Reply Reply with quote

When that phrase is used to describe university policies towards gays and lesbians, does it basically mean, "We won't ask you about your sexual orientation, but if you're gay or lesbian, we expect you to keep quiet about it"?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/18/05 2:00 pm    ::: Re: "Don't ask, don't tell" Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit wrote:
When that phrase is used to describe university policies towards gays and lesbians, does it basically mean, "We won't ask you about your sexual orientation, but if you're gay or lesbian, we expect you to keep quiet about it"?

"Don't ask, don't tell" is essentiallly the same thing as "No gays allowed." In both, as long as you are completely closeted nothing happens. But as soon as you let anyone know you are gay, you are out in both situations. I find "Don't ask, don't tell" to be one of the most insulting labels people try to pass off as an advance. It is nothing but more of the same.

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/18/05 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"Don't ask, don't tell" is essentiallly the same thing as "No gays allowed." In both, as long as you are completely closeted nothing happens. But as soon as you let anyone know you are gay, you are out in both situations. I find "Don't ask, don't tell" to be one of the most insulting labels people try to pass off as an advance. It is nothing but more of the same.

I'm not quite following. You're saying, "Don't ask, don't tell" means "No gays allowed". Is that right?

But that doesn't make sense to me. In the long thread about Rene Portland, it was suggested that the prevailing policy in college is "don't ask don't tell". We all agree that there are likely some currently employed college wbb coaches who are lesbians, and since we know who some of them are, it seems likely that people at their institutions know, too.

But they still have jobs, so obviously (to me at least), it isn't like Portland's position which reported is, "If you're a lesbian, I'm kicking you off the team."

So I thought it meant basically, we won't discriminate against you in hiring, but we expect you to keep quiet about it.

I also assume that there's it's all understood, not explicitly spoken, and also that the possible consequences are left vague and also unspoken.

IOW, I think it's more subtle, and thus harder to combat, then a simple "No gays allowed."

I'm not asking for an opinion about the policy, just for a clarification on what people mean when they say it. Thanks.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/18/05 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit wrote:
I'm not asking for an opinion about the policy, just for a clarification on what people mean when they say it. Thanks.

Here's my take on the meaning of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"...

It means: We don't really want any gay people around here. If we find out that you're gay then we'll get rid of you. However, we're not going to make a big effort into searching for evidence of gayness. We're not going to ask you, so if you don't tell anyone then we'll never know. You can stay here as long as you can live with that level of restrictiveness.

PostPosted: 10/18/05 2:52 pm    ::: Re: "Don't ask, don't tell" Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
VandyWhit wrote:

Cool I so agree with you on this Don't Ask-Don't Tell policy, it's like wearing shades so they can't see your eyes...for they are a dead give away most of the time. Funny that the Don't Ask-Don't Tell seems only for those of the Gay or Lesbian status, for if your Hetero everyone wants to know how many guys or gals you have in your life and how often your doing it.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 10/18/05 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
VandyWhit wrote:

It means: We don't really want any gay people around here. If we find out that you're gay then we'll get rid of you. However, we're not going to make a big effort into searching for evidence of gayness. We're not going to ask you, so if you don't tell anyone then we'll never know. You can stay here as long as you can live with that level of restrictiveness.

It was the Clinton Administartions "solution" to Gays in the Military.

O.G.

PostPosted: 10/18/05 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

How about, "We don't really want any gay people around here, but we NEED you for us to succeed, so we'll tolerate you as long as you agree to stay hidden."

Slovydal

PostPosted: 10/18/05 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

O.G. wrote:

How about, "We don't really want any gay people around here, but we NEED you for us to succeed, so we'll tolerate you as long as you agree to stay hidden."

Sad but true.

Well said, O.G.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/19/05 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reason, presumably, for the don't-ask/don't-tell policy at the administrative level is that there's a fear that if all the lesbians in women's basketball came out of the closet that it would have a detrimental effect on the growth of the game -- and specifically, would cut attendance by families with young daughters, and hurt TV ratings.

Question 1: Is that true?

At the other end of the spectrum, very few players and coaches have come out. Presumably, there could be no direct retaliation from the schools and WNBA teams, though it might jeopardize the careers of some borderline players and coaches. (Of course, if everyone came out, it would be a much different story.)

As an old white straight male, it's not my place to suggest that a gay person make the decision to come out, and I'm certainly not advocating that anybody should do what they don't want to do. But ...

Question 2: Why haven't more players and coaches come out?

Question 2A: Do more people come out in other professions? If so, is the publicity part of the problem?

Question 3: When will the sexual preference of athletes become a non-issue, if ever?

The only question I can even try to answer is the third one, and I'd like to believe we're moving in the right direction. Obviously, a conservative tide could turn things around in a heartbeat, but even with George W. in charge, it seems that tolerance is more and more common, and that young people are much less likely to be homophobic than the old folks.

I think the biggest problem, in terms of women's basketball, would be the fear on the part of some parents that somehow exposing their daughters to gay women playing basketball would make it more likely that their daughters would be gay, and some parents wouldn't like that. That is ridiculous on its face, of course, but logic is not always a strong point among parents.

So I'd say five years ... and it would really help if some NBA players would come out too.

PostPosted: 10/19/05 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

and it would really help if some NBA players would come out too.

Idea Idea

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 10/19/05 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

well maybe now that Reggie Miller is retired...

i keed, i keed...

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/19/05 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
ClayK wrote:

i keed, i keed...

Yeah, we can at last discover that when he puts a wig on, he's actually Cheryl Miller. (No, I'm not serious. But I have sometimes wondered.)

PostPosted: 10/19/05 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Buy Reggie's Starting Lineup action figure and shave one of your Barbie dolls to use the hair for Reggie.

This way you get a two'fer, Cheryl Miller and Kristen Veal.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/19/05 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
Buy Reggie's Starting Lineup action figure and shave one of your Barbie dolls to use the hair for Reggie.

This way you get a two'fer, Cheryl Miller and Kristen Veal.

blue this sounds way too much like you've already tried this!

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 10/19/05 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Has anyone seen my friend, WNBA Teresa?"

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 10/19/05 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"We were supposed to meet at Heaven on Friday after the game"

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 10/19/05 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"When she turned up missing, we feared that something bad happened to her"

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 10/19/05 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Maybe even something"

"...scarier than bad"

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 10/19/05 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
ClayK wrote:

i keed, i keed...

LMAO!!!!!!!!

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 10/19/05 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"WNBA Teresa was never coming back. She went to the farm.."

Last edited by bluewolfvii on 10/19/05 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 10/19/05 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"She went to the farm with Wicca Kira and Separatist Christie."

Photo credit: http://lesbontheweb.over-blog.com/archive-11-2004.html

O.G.

PostPosted: 10/19/05 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
"When she turned up missing, we feared that something bad happened to her"

Too, too funny. Who knew I'd never have to go anywhere else for entertainment.

Separatist Christie! ROFLMAO

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/19/05 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd like to join in the fun and games, but I can't let ClayK's post just disappear into the past.

ClayK wrote:
At the other end of the spectrum, very few players and coaches have come out. Presumably, there could be no direct retaliation from the schools and WNBA teams, though it might jeopardize the careers of some borderline players and coaches. (Of course, if everyone came out, it would be a much different story.)

ClayK, do you really believe that there would be no retaliation against lesbian players and coaches if they were to come out? If you do, I am (nearly) speechless with bewilderment. Of course there would be retaliation. Just look at what Rene Portland has said about a straight player, Jen Harris, and try to imagine what Rene would do to an out lesbian.

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/19/05 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
'd like to join in the fun and games, but I can't let ClayK's post just disappear into the past.

Clay: "At the other end of the spectrum, very few players and coaches have come out. Presumably, there could be no direct retaliation from the schools and WNBA teams, though it might jeopardize the careers of some borderline players and coaches. (Of course, if everyone came out, it would be a much different story.)"

ClayK, do you really believe that there would be no retaliation against lesbian players and coaches if they were to come out? If you do, I am (nearly) speechless with bewilderment. Of course there would be retaliation. Just look at what Rene Portland has said about a straight player, Jen Harris, and try to imagine what Rene would do to an out lesbian.

For a minute there, I was nearly speechless with bewilderment at your response, too.

Then I read your response again and decided that you were talking specifically about the situation at PSU, while Clay was talking more generally. YES, if half of what has been said about Portland is true, then I agree that a player at Penn State who came out as a lesbian would be subjected to retaliation.

But NO, I don't agree that IN GENERAL there would be retalliation by superiors if players or coaches came out. The exception would be at a place like Penn State where you have (1) somebody like Rene Portland, and (2) the institutional environment where the athletic department functions practically as a completely distinct entity from the university at large. (Nobody is talking much about (2), but it appears to me to be a really important contributing element to what's happened at Penn State.)

Maybe I've totally misunderstood both of you . . . if so, feel free to clear it up. Smile

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/20/05 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit, instead of trying to respond to ClayK's post, I should have logged out and gone to bed. Let's move on, okay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: