RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Time magazine profiles Candace Parker.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 10/17/05 5:25 am    ::: Time magazine profiles Candace Parker. Reply Reply with quote

http://shesgotgame.blogspot.com/2005/10/candace-parker-ready-for-lift-off.html

"How Tennessee's dynamic Candace Parker will change the face of women's sports."

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 10/17/05 6:38 am    ::: Re: Time magazine profiles Candace Parker. Reply Reply with quote

For her sake, I hope Candace can live up to the expectations everyone has for her. She hasn't played in a single game at Tennessee, yet she's being lauded as "about to become a hero to many women."

And I hope she stays healthy: Parker's already had three surgeries on that left knee. http://utladyvols.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/090804aaa.html

I am glad to learn that Coach Summitt requires her players to be in Monday morning classes after road trips. The reigning national champions do that, too.

Quote:
March 23, 2005 -- After arriving back in Waco {from Seattle} at 5:30 Tuesday morning, the players were off to class while the coaches studied film on the NCAA-mandated {practice} day off for the {Baylor} Lady Bears. They will return to practice today and are scheduled to leave for Tempe after a practice at the Ferrell Center on Thursday. http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/sports/college/2005/03/23/20050323waclady_bears.html

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/17/05 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I am glad to learn that Coach Summitt requires her players to be in Monday morning classes after road trips. The reigning national champions do that, too.

In women's basketball, I think that's probably the rule, rather than the exception.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/17/05 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Entirely too much pressure is being put on this young lady! I would have rather seen Time write about what a great year it's going to be and emphasize seniors Currie, Augustus, Pondexter and Young.

Too bad, it's going to be difficult for her to meet expectations.

And I saw that big brother toasted Toronto last night. No place for him in the NBA? Shocked

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/17/05 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think she'll do better than most people expect. She's not going to perform reverse alley-oops every single night (oh darn), but she'll have a handful of simplistic dunks every season and will average almost a double-double each season she's in "the 'Ville". During her college career, Tennessee will win at least two championships. So yeah...I think she'll live up to expectations.

Mathies to LA 2013
bigbri131014

PostPosted: 10/17/05 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont get some things... didnt Sheryl Swoopes "change womens basketball" didnt Holdslaw "change womens basketball" didnt DT "change womens basketball" good grief womens basketball has had more plastic surgery than Micheal jackson!

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/17/05 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigbri131014 wrote:
I dont get some things... didnt Sheryl Swoopes "change womens basketball" didnt Holdslaw "change womens basketball" didnt DT "change womens basketball" good grief womens basketball has had more plastic surgery than Micheal jackson!

Bri, I know you don't know a lot about women, but come on. It's infamous how often we change. Wink

PostPosted: 10/17/05 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bigbri131014 wrote:
good grief womens basketball has had more plastic surgery than Micheal jackson!

Laugh of the day! Laughing

Candace Parker will change women's basketball in one sense: she'll dunk more often than any WBB player in history. The rest of her game seems to be expected of a dominant low-post player.

Mathies to LA 2013
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/17/05 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
bigbri131014 wrote:
good grief womens basketball has had more plastic surgery than Micheal jackson!

Laugh of the day! Laughing

Candace Parker will change women's basketball in one sense: she'll dunk more often than any WBB player in history. The rest of her game seems to be expected of a dominant low-post player.

She had better change it this year. Amber Harris will be a freshman next year, and she apparently is as comfortable with dunking in the course of action as Parker is. Parker may not change the game in that respect, she may just be part of its evolution.

cometsfan05

PostPosted: 10/17/05 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

please what I dont understand why people are saying she's the best to evre play college basketball now lets be 4 real that is not true she may be in the top 50 but not the best ever please I'm already not a big fan of her's anyway cause I feel like she overshadows some of the players who are better than her, and womens college basketball let her play a game before we start calling her the best ever I wonder, What Swoopes, Miller and the other greats have to say about this and plus just because she play's for Tennessee does not mean they will win the championship this year there are teams who will beat Tennessee this year aint no way they will go undefeated in the SEC or thru Non- Conference LSU had the best talent last year and they didnt win so it's wide open this year

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/17/05 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:
please what I dont understand why people are saying she's the best to evre play college basketball now lets be 4 real that is not true she may be in the top 50 but not the best ever please I'm already not a big fan of her's anyway cause I feel like she overshadows some of the players who are better than her, and womens college basketball let her play a game before we start calling her the best ever I wonder, What Swoopes, Miller and the other greats have to say about this and plus just because she play's for Tennessee does not mean they will win the championship this year there are teams who will beat Tennessee this year aint no way they will go undefeated in the SEC or thru Non- Conference LSU had the best talent last year and they didnt win so it's wide open this year

Someday I would like to introduce you to my good friend the period. You and she should get acquainted.

Words can't describe how tired I am of hearing the Candace Parker hype. The unfortunate thing is that it predisposes people to not liking her. I know people who are hoping that she will fail because of all of the unwarranted hype she has gotten. She was a great high school player. She will likely be a great college player. She may very well be freshman of the year. But Candace Parker is not the shoo-in for national POY and four NCs for Tennessee like some want to make her.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/17/05 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cometsfan05 wrote:

Candace has flash to her game, which is one of the reasons why she "overshadows" her competitors. It has yet to be proven whether or not her competitors are better than she is, so we can't just say things like that.

I agree that playing for Tennessee doesn't guarantee her a championship...THIS SEASON (Duke will win in 2006)! That doesn't mean that she won't win a title next year, the year after next year, and the year after that! There is too much talent on that roster for them to end up empty-handed come 2009.

There are teams that will beat Tennessee this year (including Duke), but there aren't as many as you'd like to believe. Tennessee is a SOLID squad, please believe. Also believe that most of their solidarity surrounds having a healthy Candace Parker.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/17/05 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
She had better change it this year. Amber Harris will be a freshman next year, and she apparently is as comfortable with dunking in the course of action as Parker is. Parker may not change the game in that respect, she may just be part of its evolution.

What makes you think she won't change it this year? One not liking Candace Parker doesn't mean that she'll fail or won't live up to expectations. She'll start building her reputation as a double-double dunking post this season. It's not unheard of for freshmen to average near double-double numbers. Plus, she's dunked so many times in the past that it's second-nature to her. She'll get a couple of good dunks in this season and will put up solid numbers. Even if she does this, however, there will still be those who will find flaws in her game. What? Candace didn't put up 100 points this game? Oh man, she sucks. Rolling Eyes

With the opinions provided in this thread, I hope Diana Taurasi fans see why many people can't stand Diana Taurasi. There are similarities between the hype/hate that surround both of these young ladies.

Mathies to LA 2013
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/17/05 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

What makes you think she won't change it this year? One not liking Candace Parker doesn't mean that she'll fail or won't live up to expectations. She'll start building her reputation as a double-double dunking post this season. It's not unheard of for freshmen to average near double-double numbers. Plus, she's dunked so many times in the past that it's second-nature to her. She'll get a couple of good dunks in this season and will put up solid numbers. Even if she does this, however, there will still be those who will find flaws in her game. What? Candace didn't put up 100 points this game? Oh man, she sucks. Rolling Eyes

With the opinions provided in this thread, I hope Diana Taurasi fans see why many people can't stand Diana Taurasi. There are similarities between the hype/hate that surround both of these young ladies.

Wow. Calm down, Sparky. Once again, you completely miss the point. I was suggesting that Candace's dunking won't necessarily change the game so much as be a good indication that the game is changing. If there are more that one player doing it, it looks a lot more like an evolution to the way players are learning the game and the things they are learning to do. If Parker puts up a few dunks this year, does that equate to "changing the game"?

The unfortunate thing is that the hype that has been built around her makes it so that it will be nearly impossible for her to live up to them. She could be the second coming of Chamique Holdsclaw, and many would be disappointed. I have seen more than one person claim that Parker will be the four-time player of the year and lead the nation in some combination of points, assists, rebounds, blocks, etc., all four years. I have heard more than one person say that UT won't lose a game in the four years she plays. And so on and so on. Those are completely unrealistic expectations to put on anyone.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/17/05 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are entirely too rude. Rolling Eyes

What exactly are you trying to say, PU? Whatever "point" you tried to make wasn't made, so I didn't miss anything you tried to say. What you're attempting (poorly, I might add) to say is that Parker dunking is meaningless since there are (supposedly) others after her who can do the same thing (Proof? I've seen the ONE picture of Harris dunking...good for her. There are a good number of pictures that show Parker dunking, leading me to believe that dunking is a natural part of Parker's game). I fail to see why Parker dunking more than once this season won't "change the game". Are you a basketball purist or something? You honestly don't think that young girls won't be impressed by Parker's athletic ability enough to attempt it themselves? If Parker can dunk on a fairly consistent basis this season, I feel that more younger girls (high school-age girls) with the height and athletic ability to attempt the dunk. This will lead to an increased incidence of the dunk in the women's game for years to come. And yes, it all begins with Candace Parker this season.

Parker's dunking will do more than signify "a change in the women's game" since we've known for years now that there are women who are capable of dunking. Parker dunking with relative ease will influence more girls with college/pro aspirations to attempt the dunk. See the difference (or must I resort to hand puppets)?

Mathies to LA 2013
VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/17/05 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I fail to see why Parker dunking more than once this season won't "change the game". Are you a basketball purist or something? You honestly don't think that young girls won't be impressed by Parker's athletic ability enough to attempt it themselves? If Parker can dunk on a fairly consistent basis this season, I feel that more younger girls (high school-age girls) with the height and athletic ability to attempt the dunk. This will lead to an increased incidence of the dunk in the women's game for years to come. And yes, it all begins with Candace Parker this season.

I thought it began with Michelle Snow?

Anyhow, am I the only person here who is skeptical about how many dunks we'll see in games? Opponents are not going to be as concerned about her safety as her teammates and other people associated with UT will be.

I remember vividly what happened to Michelle Snow on her return visit to Vandy after her dunk the year before. She was dribbling down the court, and Chantelle Anderson leveled her with a hard foul, thinking that she was going to try to dunk. There wasn't anything subtle about it. In Snow's last attempt to dunk at home was late in the game in the NCAA tournament. An ND player prevented it with a hard foul.

I wonder how many of those it will take to convince Parker that maybe dunking isn't so great, after all.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/17/05 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit wrote:
I thought it began with Michelle Snow?

Anyhow, am I the only person here who is skeptical about how many dunks we'll see in games? Opponents are not going to be as concerned about her safety as her teammates and other people associated with UT will be.

I wonder how many of those it will take to convince Parker that maybe dunking isn't so great, after all.

I don't remember Michelle Snow being able to dunk in high school games since her tenth grade year (correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't think opponents will be bold enough to intentionally injure Parker during her dunk attempts, especially early on in a game. These players DO want playing time, don't they? It's hard to improve one's game if one is sitting in the locker room due to an ejection.

Mathies to LA 2013
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/17/05 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're also assuming Pat is going to allow her to either (a) show up an opponent (it can be conceived that is what she'd be doing. Not intentionally, but impression) or (b) risk missing what would be an easy layup in a game situation.

I agree with Matty though that this girl has so much expectation and weight on her shoulders it will be very difficult for her to match what people expect of her.

And personally, I think if anyone is going to make everyone else "respect" dunking, it's going to be Fowles.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 10/17/05 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
You're also assuming Pat is going to allow her to either (a) show up an opponent (it can be conceived that is what she'd be doing. Not intentionally, but impression) or (b) risk missing what would be an easy layup in a game situation.

I agree with Matty though that this girl has so much expectation and weight on her shoulders it will be very difficult for her to match what people expect of her.

And personally, I think if anyone is going to make everyone else "respect" dunking, it's going to be Fowles.

I'm under the impression that Pat will allow Parker to dunk under her (Parker's) own discretion. I'm not exactly sure, though. Since it's a part (positive aspect) of her game, I doubt that Pat would want to try to suppress it. I think Candace knows when and when not to attempt a dunk since she's been doing it for years.

I tend to think PUMatty's position regarding Parker has more to do with his disdain for Parker rather than objective inspection. It seems as if he wants her to fail (subjective) as opposed to him thinking that Parker will struggle with the pressure she'll face (objective).

I've never seen Fowles dunk. Until I see her do so, I'm sticking with Parker being the "game changer" and receiving all the props.

Mathies to LA 2013

Last edited by bballfan2005 on 10/17/05 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grumps

PostPosted: 10/17/05 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

The biggest difference I have seen in Parker and other players that have dunked before her is her grip...She can catch a pass with either hand like it was a baseball and she had a glove on...She palms the ball so easily it makes dunking easy for her...Also unlike other women I have seen dunk she doesn't need space to do it...She can take a bounce pass under the basket and put it down...For her the odds of making the dunk are probably the same as the layup if not a little better...I think we have all seen a boatload of missed layups.... Wink

Get ready...she is going to dunk...
Get used to it...she is going to do it a bunch...
Get over it...It's part of her game...

Grumps

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/17/05 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps wrote:

Grumps

Grumps I don't know what you're talking about, but I think the biggest dunk deterrent is going to be Pat.

Remember the joke who's the only person to keep MJ under 20 ppg? Dean Smith.

I can see the same thing here. I hope not, let the kid be creative. I think it would be good for the game if it's done in the course of action and eliminates the LL set up dunks from recent memory.

Those are fun, but not the "real deal".

Personally, if I had to guess who goes first though, it's going to be Fowles.

VandyWhit

PostPosted: 10/17/05 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
You're also assuming Pat is going to allow her to either (a) show up an opponent (it can be conceived that is what she'd be doing. Not intentionally, but impression)

That would be a good assumption.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/17/05 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VandyWhit wrote:
Quote:
You're also assuming Pat is going to allow her to either (a) show up an opponent (it can be conceived that is what she'd be doing. Not intentionally, but impression)

That would be a good assumption.

You think Pat would allow that? You are an SEC person, I'm not.

Grumps

PostPosted: 10/17/05 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Grumps wrote:

Grumps

Grumps I don't know what you're talking about, but I think the biggest dunk deterrent is going to be Pat.

Remember the joke who's the only person to keep MJ under 20 ppg? Dean Smith.

I can see the same thing here. I hope not, let the kid be creative. I think it would be good for the game if it's done in the course of action and eliminates the LL set up dunks from recent memory.

Those are fun, but not the "real deal".

Personally, if I had to guess who goes first though, it's going to be Fowles.

The last part of my reply that you quoted was just a statement for others that had problems when Snow dunked...

Pat won't hold her back...The dunk is just a part of her game and she does it with ease...I have never heard of Pat telling Zohlman not to shoot a three... Very Happy

And does LSU start earlier than TN? I can see Parker dunking in both exhibition games and the season opener in Knoxville...In a recent article Parker was advised that no one had dunked in a game in TBA and she said that she was going to change that...She dunked several times in the U19 games last year, not sure how many total, but she had 3 in one game, and since then she has added 2 inches to her verticle leap...

Grumps

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/17/05 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know the schedules. I'm talking regular season games. I just don't think it's going to be as easy as you think. I could be totally wrong. The only time I saw her play was in an all star game with the injured knee, so I'm sure she didn't have the explosiveness she will now.

Fowles can go with authority at any time. BBallfan, don't know if you saw this, but she was entered into the slam dunk contest and finished ahead of someone in the opening night festivities for LSU.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: