RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Is Manti Te'o's girlfriend an internet hoax?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerd2

PostPosted: 01/17/13 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Work by a twitter investigator seems to be pointing towards a bunch of idiots doing this based on a Catfish documentary.

https://twitter.com/justinrmegahan
http://topsy.com/twitter/catfishhhhhhhh
https://twitter.com/jayRahz/status/276071308322820096
http://www.twicsy.com/i/ZkTSUc
http://twitpic.com/bvvh0j
https://twitter.com/jayRahz/status/276073152432447488
https://twitter.com/jayRahz/status/288495738856558594

and the whole thing seemed to be revealed, including a mention of Te'o's twitter alias, around Dec 3rd.

caune

PostPosted: 01/17/13 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
If he wasn't in on it, he is the most callous, heartless bastard imaginable. Not once, but twice, his this woman who he considered his girlfriend and claims to have felt and deep relationship with was in the hospital and near death and he didn't visit, didn't Skype, didn't anything. Seemingly made no effort to actually see or meet his "girlfriend" while she was on her death bed.

Really?

OK, He could be Gay which was my first thought...or
This is a digital age and many young people feel very connected through their devices. But it also, in my opinion it allows an aloofness too.

It's a strange story but I am saddened by all the grief this guy is getting. Now he is the butt of everyone's jokes. Just sad. Seriously Morning Joe, STFU.

Or, he could be Gay Laughing

PostPosted: 01/17/13 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/200950/deadspins-burke-teo-story-shows-diminished-role-of-investigative-journalism/

Quote:
What did you learn from the reporting process?

You can learn a lot about what happened by looking at the contradictions between other journalists’ stories. That was what really tipped us off, after all, that something was weird here. Major news organizations disagreed on the date of a person’s death by up to four days.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many people were in on this "hoax"? Did he ever talk to a girlfriend, her parents, or anyone else in her life?

If this really was a hoax, and Te'o is the victim, exactly how stupid is he? I thought Notre Dame was an upstanding academic institution with admission standards. Rolling Eyes

caune

PostPosted: 01/17/13 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JayeRunner wrote:

If this really was a hoax, and Te'o is the victim, exactly how stupid is he? I thought Notre Dame was an upstanding academic institution with admission standards. Rolling Eyes

You know you CAN be book smart and still live a naive and sheltered life. Academic standards and common sense are not linked.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:

What hoaxer is so dedicated that she would speak to him for hours on the phone every night (as Te'o claims they did)? This went on for almost three years, from the supposed "meeting" in November 2009 to her alleged death in September 2012. That's a long time and a lot of effort for a joke.

The absolute worst part of this? Or, well... maybe not, but it's certainly up there.

No. The worst part about this is the comparison between the intensive investigation Notre Dame put into this compared to the complete lack of same in the Lizzy Seeberg incident.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:

What hoaxer is so dedicated that she would speak to him for hours on the phone every night (as Te'o claims they did)? This went on for almost three years, from the supposed "meeting" in November 2009 to her alleged death in September 2012. That's a long time and a lot of effort for a joke.

The absolute worst part of this? Or, well... maybe not, but it's certainly up there.

No. The worst part about this is the comparison between the intensive investigation Notre Dame put into this compared to the complete lack of same in the Lizzy Seeberg incident.

It's the same institution, same bizarro and just plain wrong public response but nothing, however, compares to what they did to that girl, her family, and her memory. I read everything I could get my hands on re: that case prior to the BSC championship game. That's why I'm now again so put off by the school once again getting it so wrong. But the scope and the stakes are trivial compared to that innocent freshman who was basically ground up by what she encountered just weeks after leaving home for the first time in her life. Notre Dame has some real problems. Laws on a national level should be created to protect individuals from the immense power of things like "Notre Dame Football."

PostPosted: 01/17/13 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
If he wasn't in on it, he is the most callous, heartless bastard imaginable. Not once, but twice, his this woman who he considered his girlfriend and claims to have felt and deep relationship with was in the hospital and near death and he didn't visit, didn't Skype, didn't anything. Seemingly made no effort to actually see or meet his "girlfriend" while she was on her death bed.

Really?

OK, He could be Gay which was my first thought...or
This is a digital age and many young people feel very connected through their devices. But it also, in my opinion it allows an aloofness too.

It's a strange story but I am saddened by all the grief this guy is getting. Now he is the butt of everyone's jokes. Just sad. Seriously Morning Joe, STFU.

Or, he could be Gay Laughing

Three years, caune? Unless I got that part wrong. He simply cannot claim to be have been duped by an online relationshiship that went on for three years. His dad says they hooked up in Hawaii. On the other side of it, he never added to the public record what would have been the fascinating, under the circumstances, factoid that he'd never actually met this girlfriend the entire country is grieving over.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any kind of black eye on that institution is a wonderful thing. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/17/13 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Te'o interview with ESPN canceled

https://twitter.com/ChiTribHamilton/statuses/291941957767426048

PostPosted: 01/17/13 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
What does this story say about the state of sports "journalism"? Not one of the many, many reporters who parroted the dead girlfriend story made any effort to find out anything about her.

not just sports reporting. we call it backpack journalism.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brian Essbe ‏ @ SortaBad
Manti Te'o is a winner. Even his fake dead
girlfriend went to Stanford. My imaginary friend went to community
college and banged my sister

NOT SportsCenter ‏ @ NOTSportsCenter
Northern
Indiana Parochial College LB Manti Te'o supposedly had a dead
girlfriend, but turns out now she never actually existed. Just like
their title chances.

Josh Patten ‏ @ thejoshpatten
Let me
begin my commentary on the Manti Te'o story by acknowledging that most
of my four years in college were spent making up girlfriends.

Cameron Asa ‏ @ WhiteBoyPosts
I'm guessing Manti Te'o aced his creative writing class at Northern Indiana Parochial College.

Brendan O'Hare ‏ @ brendohare
To
be fair to Manti Te'o I read the story in the dark while covered in
Doritos crumbs so really who's the biggest loser in all this

Chris Regan ‏ @ ChrisRRegan
Even though she never existed, Brent Musberger is horny for MantiTe'o dead girlfriend.

Jason Marcum ‏ @ UK_Fans
Ouch! RT @ vancemeek: Tim Tebow is going to be jealous of all this attention to MantiTe'o.

Brian P-C ‏ @ 1791bpc
@
UncleDynamite Manti Te'o's "Girlfriend" was also responsible for the
Fiscal Cliff, # NHL Lockout and the Mayan Calendar being wrong.

Andy Carpenter ‏ @ A_Carp
RT @ sportspickle: Warning to all the fake women out there: Stay away from MantiTe'o. He will have you killed off.

Fake SportsCenter ‏ @ FakeSportsCentr
Reports now breaking that Manti Te'o, a devout Mormon, had multiple fake dead girlfriends

Mike Polk Jr. ‏ @ mikepolkjr
Both
I & my hot fake Canadian girlfriend, Canadia, are sending thoughts
and prayers to Manti Te'o during this difficult time. # FakeHugs

Evil Bill O'Brien ‏ @ evilbillobrien
Thoughts and prayers to Manti Te'o's agent Keyser Söze, who passed away today.

Alex Alspach ‏ @ GaryAndBoydsDad
The Big East has sent an invite to MantiTe'o's fake dead girlfriend to join as a fake football only member. # FakeTeoGirlfriend

Matthew Trotter ‏ @ mbtrotter
Maybe Northern Indiana Parochial College would've won if Manti Te'o's girlfriend were real. It worked for AJ McCarron.

Not Bill Walton ‏ @ NotBillWalton
That
awkward moment when you realize the MantiTe'o gf hoax was an elaborate
scheme orchestrated by Lance Armstrong to deflect attention.

Travon Free ‏ @ Travon
its OK Manti Te'o, a lot of men wish their girlfriends didn't exist.

Cheekz ‏ @ WacaFlacaCheekz
RT
@ AngryBlkManDC: Zing!!!!! RT @ jeffisrael25: Ohhhhhhhhh so it was
Manti Te'o's girlfriend sitting in Clint Eastwood's chair the whole time

PostPosted: 01/17/13 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
pilight wrote:
What does this story say about the state of sports "journalism"? Not one of the many, many reporters who parroted the dead girlfriend story made any effort to find out anything about her.

not just sports reporting. we call it backpack journalism.

Who's we? Twisted Evil Exactly.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The expected contrast between coverage on NBC and ABC News occurred.

NBC, the "Notre Dame" network, handled Te'o w kid gloves, as expected. ABC, the owner of ESPN, whose Jeremy Schaap had his interview w/ Te'o cancelled today, was a bit more critical of Te'o.

Fun to observe.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The full text of SI's interview with Te'o from September

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130117/manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax-quotes/#all

Quote:
SI: How did you meet her?

TE'O: We met just, ummmm, just she knew my cousin. And kind of saw me there so. Just kind of regular.

PostPosted: 01/17/13 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When did he learn about the hoax?

http://www.wsbt.com/wsbt-20130116,0,7458631.story

Quote:
in a Dec. 8 interview with a group of reporters (including WSBT's David McCoy) before the Heisman Trophy ceremony in New York City -- two days, Swarbrick said, after Te'o received that phone call -- Te'o was asked a question about his community service work. He responded, in part, with the following quote:

"I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer."

Video included

PostPosted: 01/18/13 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8856519/manti-teo-talked-girlfriend-knowing-hoax

Quote:
The Associated Press turned up two more instances during that gap between Dec. 6 and Dec. 26, the date when Te'o told Notre Dame that he knew of the hoax, when the football star mentioned Kekua in public.

PostPosted: 01/18/13 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8856519/manti-teo-talked-girlfriend-knowing-hoax

Quote:
The Associated Press turned up two more instances during that gap between Dec. 6 and Dec. 26, the date when Te'o told Notre Dame that he knew of the hoax, when the football star mentioned Kekua in public.

He's just toast. I don't know how any NFL team could bring this guy into their stadium wearing their uniform. I just don't see how that can happen. But that's just me.

I think one of my wonderful points might've been lost in the shuffle here. Just think about this. After she died, why wouldn't he have said publicly in passing, "Oh, and I never even got to meet her in person." along with every other aspect of this story just as it was laid out at face value, there also should have been, if it wasn't a hoax, the additional factoid that the relationship was completely online. That this girlfriend that meant so much to him, and who had passed away, was some one who he had actually never even laid eyes on. You put that in the hands of a Sports Illustrated writer, CBS Sports, ESPN, and watch them take off running down every aspect of that bizarro angle of the story.

Like dude, how could you leave out the fact that you'd never even MET HER?!?! If that's true. Why didn't you say so. Why didn't you let the world know that you had a girlfriend for three years ... but never actually met her ... you know... before the entire country followed you down this heart wrenchingly tragic story line.

Just got to quote Joe Biden again. "Come on, man!"

PostPosted: 01/18/13 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

I don't know how any NFL team could bring this guy into their stadium wearing their uniform. I just don't see how that can happen. But that's just me.

Some would ask how the Ravens could have Ray Lewis wearing their uniform or how the Eagles could have Michael Vick wearing theirs.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/18/13 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

I don't know how any NFL team could bring this guy into their stadium wearing their uniform. I just don't see how that can happen. But that's just me.

Some would ask how the Ravens could have Ray Lewis wearing their uniform or how the Eagles could have Michael Vick wearing theirs.

I think this is different. First, they were already established stars in the NFL. Second neither one of their stories, even Michael Vick's crimes against dogs, failed to get the kind of heat that this story is getting. Michael Vick's story wasn't as big news as even Lance Armstrong's problems. And this story just knocked Lance Armstrong off the front page. Ray Lewis was acquitted. Michael Vick paid his debt to society. This guy has a long way to go before the American public, I think, will be ready to forgive him. He's young, he's nuts, and he's infamous. But, like I said, maybe it's just me. He'd probably make a perfectly fine addition to the Oakland Raider's organization.

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 01/18/13 12:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
pilight

PostPosted: 01/18/13 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This will hurt his draft stock, but Te'o will still get a shot. If he can bring it on the field, all this will eventually blow over.

PostPosted: 01/18/13 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
This will hurt his draft stock, but Te'o will still get a shot. If he can bring it on the field, all this will eventually blow over.

Ain't that America.

PostPosted: 01/18/13 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
pilight wrote:

Ain't that America.

Won't even hurt his draft stock, according to Brian Billick.

Remember Lawrence Phillips from Nebraska? Top 5 pick? A LOT worse. There will be others worse.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/18/13 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Remember Lawrence Phillips from Nebraska? Top 5 pick? A LOT worse. There will be others worse.

And he was a bust. NFL teams take these things into account now more than they did 20 years ago when Phillips came out.

PostPosted: 01/18/13 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: