RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lolo Jones' teammates speak out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/08/12 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Good lord. Do I really have to point out being raped by your mother's boyfriend as a teen isn't falling down on your way to a sure gold medal in the previous Olympic games and then trying to come back and redeem yourself in these games?

And I don't know what is worse... being a sore loser or being sore winners Idea

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/08/12 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Good lord. Do I really have to point out being raped by your mother's boyfriend as a teen isn't falling down on your way to a sure gold medal in the previous Olympic games and then trying to come back and redeem yourself in these games?

Shocked

I'll let you explain this before I go in, because if you're saying what I think you're saying you might as well tell the mods to ban me now.

Oh no, please. Go ahead. Very Happy

Explain your quote, please. I refuse to believe that tripping on a hurdle is more of an emotional scar than getting raped as a teenager. I'm not surprised there are some (who've posted in this thread) who believe that, but I think that has more to do with always being the voice of contrarian and less to do with actually believing something that utterly stupid.

Mathies to LA 2013
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/08/12 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of people will never understand what it's like to feel less valued than someone else, even when you're far more accomplished than them, because they look better or have more resources behind them or whatever. If complaining about that and wanting to bring attention to that makes one a sore winner, then, we aren't ever going to be shit (as a society). That's my end post on this one.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if i'm a track athlete, and sponsors line up to hand me some cash, i'm taking the money....the window to cash in is too small and unpredictable.

on the other hand, i also agree that the criticism, should be on the media who put lolo up on a pedestal, and not her more accomplished peers.

instead of writing a salty NY Times article putting lolo down, that writer could have written a glowing piece on the other contenders in the field, without Jones' name even being mentioned.

personally, i don't see how any of this negativity is going to help any of those gals.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/08/12 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guess I haven't been paying close enough attention. Was shocked to hear there was a to-do about Gabby's hair. I agree with whoever said they never even noticed her hair. I did notice her smile though, and what a fantastic smile it is.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/08/12 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bridgehere wrote:
bridgehere wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
bridgehere wrote:
Okay, first, she is white. We all know what this means. So let's just get that out of the way and she is from the u.s. when you refer to Pearson.

She has marketed herself and her story. I don't see a problem with that.

Finally, it seems she would have won in Bejiing had she not clipped a rail. I think that type of thing always grabs people's attention and they want the person to make a comeback, so they follow her and root for her.

If she is now crying foul because she is not the media darling then her bad. If the media is treating her unfairly, then media bad.

As for the other athletes, don't hate on Lolo, hate on the media and the marketers, which we know are controlled by white males.

These are just some thoughts I have had without being able to see the videos and from reading what is written here.

A related story would be the trending of Gabby's hair being ugly. She is 16, at the olympics. Won the all-around gold and team gold and that is what she sees on the internet. Evidently, she was quite upset. I am wondering if that affected the rest of her performances. GEEZ.....people are screwed up. They can never even think of participating in the Olympics so they get on social media and bash someone's hair or looks.
smdh

Where'd you hear that? Not questioning you, just wondering. I couldn't find anywhere what her reaction was.

I can't remember. I really expected it to be posted here and when I didn't see it (yesterday?) then I almost posted the link. I will google.

A search link to articles about Gabby and her hair.

http://start.funmoods.com/results.php?f=4&q=gabby+douglas+hair+comments&a=adknlg&chnl=adknlg&cd=2XzuyEtN2Y1L1QzutCtBtByE

Good point. Idea

That said, I think Gabby's hair is fine. However, she could use some dental work/braces.

LoveJanet

PostPosted: 08/08/12 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why was Lolo on the Today show a day after finishing fourth? Were Dawn and Kelli unavailable?

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/08/12 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LoveJanet wrote:
Why was Lolo on the Today show a day after finishing fourth? Were Dawn and Kelli unavailable?

Not sure how the media was working, but Dawn and Kellie were on live the NBC Sports Network doing an interview, maybe there was a conflict.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/08/12 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:

That said, I think Gabby's hair is fine. However, she could use some dental work/braces.

Or..we could let the adorable girl continue to be adorable just the way she is..

PostPosted: 08/08/12 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

Or..we could let the adorable girl continue to be adorable just the way she is..

Agreed I see nothing wrong with her the way she is.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/09/12 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

With that attitude towards dentistry, you could be an honorary British citizen Razz Arrow

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/09/12 5:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

With that attitude towards dentistry, you could be an honorary British citizen Razz Arrow

Oh, so you're suddenly cool with stereotypes now?

PostPosted: 08/09/12 5:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
The report I read on this story was that the majority of the negative comments were made by black women.

Of course the media will say this (and you, the reader, won't dig through the many tweets on the subject), but there were just as many, if not more, negative comments coming from black males. The media won't report those because it doesn't support their agenda. I will say this once again--many black women have been very supportive of Gabby Douglas and her historical pursuit.

Yes, I the reader who didn't give much of a shit about the story in the first place didn't dig through posts on a site I don't use. I focused on the fact that Gabby Douglas won the all-around gold medal, hair be damned.
bekcat1

PostPosted: 08/09/12 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
[
The things African American women have gone through to fit into the Eurocentric definition of "beauty". So much so, so much built in self-loathing, that they will see this accomplished, lovely young woman on TV winning gold medals and can only think about how her hair needs to be prettier so she can "represent African American females better" is one Tweet I read.

The scars are deep people. Doing my best to eradicate this line of thinking, one Facebook status update and shouting match at a time. Wink

EDITED: To add, I'm not judging any black woman who gets a perm btw. Wink Do you.

Harper's an unattractive woman. Period. Lolo had her in 2008 in a foot race before falling on her face but she didn't damage that face and it's something that Harper can never touch. For what it's worth. Looks are looks. This country is never going to market an unattractive woman like Harper to the point they're going to someone like Lolo.

I certainly can't know what it's like to be an African American woman in a world that has placed a much higher value on the beauty of Europeans but the freaking truth is that good looking black women aren't lacking anything in terms of beauty. There are as many beautiful females in Africa as there are in Europe or, percentage wise, Asia.

People here can go after this angle and the percentage of power brokers and the public who prefer to see lilly white faces everywhere they look and just keep beating this drum but you're ignoring and to some extent insulting all of us white people who love ALL beautiful women, and actually find ourselves gaga over more non-white faces that we do white faces. And bodies.

Dude, this entire exchange you quoted was about Gabby's hair and black hair in general. Wasn't about Harper or Lolo at all.

I honestly didn't see anything wrong with Gabby's hair. She had it pulled back. Just like her white teammates. Just like all the other gymnasts no matter their nationality/race. I guess to keep it out of the way. You know...like most if not all female athletes do when they compete. I thought this was the stupidest controversy in the whole Olympics. And it boggles my mind that folks feed into it by disseminating it to the nth degree. Maybe I am the idiot for not getting it.

TonyL222

PostPosted: 08/09/12 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ESPNW: The Word weighs in

http://espn.go.com/espnw/7610847/word

Thanks for that pilight. Summed up the discussion pretty well.

The whole "controversy" reminds me of the saying "Don't hate the playa - hate the game."

I'm glad Pearson is getting the well deserved love in her home country.

Last edited by TonyL222 on 08/09/12 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/09/12 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LoveJanet wrote:

Since no one answered this, all three medalists were on first. Lolo was on afterwards, particularly to address the media crap.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/09/12 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:

instead of writing a salty NY Times article putting lolo down, that writer could have written a glowing piece on the other contenders in the field, without Jones' name even being mentioned.

Seriously good point. And the writer could've done some hurdling of her own shopping that story around because the New York Times would've never published it.

And then, after nobody else wanted it, the writer would have said, Gee, nobody wants to publish my Harper and Wells article, what can I do? Oh, I got it! I'll rewrite it and make it all about Bad Bad Lolo Jones.

Also, something here that no one has mentioned at all. It has gone completely under the radar. That is Lolo's name, and how important that name is.

I am a HUGE believer in the power of names and I always have been. But I came to live in the place that is the epicenter of the understanding of the power of having a great memorable or iconic-sounding name on which to build an image or a brand.

I don't think I've ever had this conversation here before but in LA, it's SO inarguable the importance of a good name that hair stylists and even realtors have been known to change their names to something more memorable and marketable.

Black people, for reasons I'm very well aware of, often have great good old American sounding media ready names and Dawn Harper and Kellie Wells sound like a couple of 1950s Hollywood starlets. No problems there, except...

Lolo Jones? Get the hell outta here! That's like the greatest sports star name for a female athlete I've ever heard. You put that name to that face with her story? I'm serious. Come on. lol. People saw gold lining their own pockets in Lolo Jones the commodity and you can't really blame them.

The only thing that stopped the Lolo Jones gravy train was her not coming through like Alyson Felix did and actually winning her race. Had that happened... you'd never have heard the end of Lolo Jones. Ever.

PostPosted: 08/09/12 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Dawn Harper and Kellie Wells sound like a couple of 1950s Hollywood starlets.

How about Dawn Wells and Kellie Harper instead?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/09/12 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

You know, that's what I thought it was, and I wanted to check for Harper's first name and Googled 'women's 100 meter hurdles' and got this...

Track and Field - Women's 100m Hurdles
Women's 100m Hurdles Final Results
Wind: -0.2 m/s Result
ORSally Pearson 12.35
Dawn Harper 12.37
Kellie Wells 12.48
4 Lolo Jones 12.58
5 Nevin Yanit

PostPosted: 08/09/12 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Actually, I think that says more about the event. The Hurdles are just not on top of the US public radar - men's or women's. I'd bet 80% of Americans that actually watched the event could not name the Gold and Silver medalist in the men's 110m hurdles - and one has a catchy name.

The last (and only) US superstar in the hurdles was Edwin Moses because of his unbelievable win streak. Even if she had won, she'd fade into obscurity after a few months - unless she went on "dancing with the (wanabe) stars."

PostPosted: 08/09/12 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Actually, I think that says more about the event.

Agreed, Tony. But I had it right in my head...

jammerbirdi wrote:
Not that I think Dawn Wells is Halle Berry but I like her better, and her personality better, than the horsey, jockeeish Lolo.

I just didn't know Harper's first name and who would have thought that the first result on Google would have their names mixed up.

Which it still does by the way.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=women's+100m+hurdles&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/09/12 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what a thread. Shocked

PostPosted: 08/09/12 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bekcat1 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
[
The things African American women have gone through to fit into the Eurocentric definition of "beauty". So much so, so much built in self-loathing, that they will see this accomplished, lovely young woman on TV winning gold medals and can only think about how her hair needs to be prettier so she can "represent African American females better" is one Tweet I read.

The scars are deep people. Doing my best to eradicate this line of thinking, one Facebook status update and shouting match at a time. Wink

EDITED: To add, I'm not judging any black woman who gets a perm btw. Wink Do you.

Harper's an unattractive woman. Period. Lolo had her in 2008 in a foot race before falling on her face but she didn't damage that face and it's something that Harper can never touch. For what it's worth. Looks are looks. This country is never going to market an unattractive woman like Harper to the point they're going to someone like Lolo.

I certainly can't know what it's like to be an African American woman in a world that has placed a much higher value on the beauty of Europeans but the freaking truth is that good looking black women aren't lacking anything in terms of beauty. There are as many beautiful females in Africa as there are in Europe or, percentage wise, Asia.

People here can go after this angle and the percentage of power brokers and the public who prefer to see lilly white faces everywhere they look and just keep beating this drum but you're ignoring and to some extent insulting all of us white people who love ALL beautiful women, and actually find ourselves gaga over more non-white faces that we do white faces. And bodies.

Dude, this entire exchange you quoted was about Gabby's hair and black hair in general. Wasn't about Harper or Lolo at all.

I honestly didn't see anything wrong with Gabby's hair. She had it pulled back. Just like her white teammates. Just like all the other gymnasts no matter their nationality/race. I guess to keep it out of the way. You know...like most if not all female athletes do when they compete. I thought this was the stupidest controversy in the whole Olympics. And it boggles my mind that folks feed into it by disseminating it to the nth degree. Maybe I am the idiot for not getting it.

Yep. Next thing you know people will be criticizing swimmers for their shaved head look. Razz

But remember, it wasn't a NYT article or something, it was just a collection of twitter posts. One thing's for sure, you can bet Gabby is going to get some free hair makeovers when she gets back.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/09/12 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
what a thread. Shocked

Some real important shit going on here. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/09/12 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
TonyL222 wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Actually, I think that says more about the event.

Agreed, Tony. But I had it right in my head...

jammerbirdi wrote:
Not that I think Dawn Wells is Halle Berry but I like her better, and her personality better, than the horsey, jockeeish Lolo.

I just didn't know Harper's first name and who would have thought that the first result on Google would have their names mixed up.

Which it still does by the way.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=women's+100m+hurdles&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Dawn Harper

Kellie Wells

Dawn Wells

Kellie Harper

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: