RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lolo Jones' teammates speak out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridgehere

PostPosted: 08/08/12 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Quote:
DID I SAY DIFFERENTLY?????? NO. I WAS TALKING ABOUT REALITY. I ALSO REALIZE PEARSON IS WHITE, BUT SHE ISN'T FROM THE U.S. WHICH is WHAT OUR MEDIA tends to cover.

What "reality"? Pearson was favored to win the race and did. She was not given the proper media coverage for that achievement. As for her not being from the US, neither is Roger Federer--yet you can't tell that based on how the US media fawns over the Swiss-born Federer now can you?

Quote:
FINE! My point was I think that is why some people were rooting for and/or interested in her and added to the media following her. I believe that is a typical media story. I think when something like that happens people usually feel bad and hope they come back.

And these same people wouldn't be interested in hearing how a woman from East St. Louis wore borrowed shoes to the Beijing Olympic games and came away with gold? You don't think that's a story that should be told? The woman who actually won in Beijing had a more compelling story to tell than Lolo did--yet it wasn't told for four years!!!!!

Quote:
STAND by what you say. NBD. I stand by what I say. Just because that is the way the game is played does not make it right. We feel differently, so what?

What do you mean "so what"? Weren't you the one who submitted your opinion on this matter on a topic that I posed? I'm merely doing the same. You get a chance to express your opinion and so do I. That's how a topic of discussion works.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about Lolo, I was talking about white athletes in the U.S. having a tendency to get more attention.

They do, but again--that does not pertain to Lolo Jones.

Quote:
No, I wouldn't. I would be mad at the people who did not treat me fairly, the professor, unless the (I would have no frat brothers, it would be sisters) person who got a better letter did something actively to keep ME OUT.

In other words, you don't know how you'd react because you can't say for certain that you wouldn't rule out sabotage by your frat brother.

It's human nature to be angry at those who receive something they don't deserve.

Quote:
It doesn't have to to you. We were talking of media and the olympics and I believe it is slightly related.

Again, I don't see the connection. If you want to discuss it, fine. But the main topic of discussion here is Lolo/Dawn/Kellie-oriented, and that's probably where the bulk focus will be. But discuss what you want.

I am not going to argue with you. Not worth it. Believe and say what you want. I don't care and I will do the same. And I will post what I think may be related. And if you think you are offending me by continuing to talk about my frat brother because I am a woman, think again. Laughing

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 08/08/12 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bridgehere wrote:

A related story would be the trending of Gabby's hair being ugly. She is 16, at the olympics. Won the all-around gold and team gold and that is what she sees on the internet. Evidently, she was quite upset. I am wondering if that affected the rest of her performances. GEEZ.....people are screwed up. They can never even think of participating in the Olympics so they get on social media and bash someone's hair or looks.
smdh

The report I read on this story was that the majority of the negative comments were made by black women.

I mean I was watching Gabby's routines and I can't recall one instance where I thought about what her hair looked like.
Realcomplicated

PostPosted: 08/08/12 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I confess I had never heard about her prior to London, but isn't the media rampage on her kind of disproportionate to the attention?
We get it, she failed, move on. They're piling on her like no other athlete and I can name a few who could get equal public shaming for their failures vs. the expectations (not all in the US, mind you. Liu Xiang comes to mind). I get the feeling some in the media were just lying in wake waiting for this moment to unleash hell on her. Crazy and sad.

I can admit that too! Embarassed

pilight

PostPosted: 08/08/12 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPNW: The Word weighs in

http://espn.go.com/espnw/7610847/word

PostPosted: 08/08/12 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
bridgehere wrote:

A related story would be the trending of Gabby's hair being ugly. She is 16, at the olympics. Won the all-around gold and team gold and that is what she sees on the internet. Evidently, she was quite upset. I am wondering if that affected the rest of her performances. GEEZ.....people are screwed up. They can never even think of participating in the Olympics so they get on social media and bash someone's hair or looks.
smdh

The report I read on this story was that the majority of the negative comments were made by black women.

I mean I was watching Gabby's routines and I can't recall one instance where I thought about what her hair looked like.

It was, but it was just a few people talking about her hair and the media blew that up into some big thing. I'm a black woman and I never once thought about Gabby's hair.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/08/12 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bridgehere wrote:
I am not going to argue with you. Not worth it. Believe and say what you want. I don't care and I will do the same. And I will post what I think may be related. And if you think you are offending me by continuing to talk about my frat brother because I am a woman, think again. Laughing

Uh, what are you talking about?

First off, I wasn't "arguing". This is a discussion topic. I was addressing points that you raised. Just because I don't agree with much of what you wrote doesn't mean that I was "arguing". If you can't tell the difference between discussion and argument, so be it. Not my problem.

Second, please tell me you're joking. I made a generic example and you somehow managed to spin it into something to be offended by. Really? You've got to be kidding me! Some of y'all are something else. Seriously.

I'll make it simple--you are looking for an argument but aren't going to get one from me. You might find a willing party on Area 51 if you look hard enough.

Mathies to LA 2013
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 08/08/12 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

Of course the media will say this (and you, the reader, won't dig through the many tweets on the subject), but there were just as many, if not more, negative comments coming from black males. The media won't report those because it doesn't support their agenda. I will say this once again--many black women have been very supportive of Gabby Douglas and her historical pursuit.

Mathies to LA 2013
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/08/12 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

coffy73 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
bridgehere wrote:

smdh

It was, but it was just a few people talking about her hair and the media
blew that up into some big thing. I'm a black woman and I never once thought about Gabby's hair.

It was. I keep telling white people Chris Rock's "Good Hair" should be mandatory viewing for their ass. It will help clear at least a few things up. Wink

Last edited by luvDhoops on 08/08/12 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/08/12 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
I confess I had never heard about her prior to London, but isn't the media rampage on her kind of disproportionate to the attention?
We get it, she failed, move on. They're piling on her like no other athlete and I can name a few who could get equal public shaming for their failures vs. the expectations (not all in the US, mind you. Liu Xiang comes to mind). I get the feeling some in the media were just lying in wake waiting for this moment to unleash hell on her. Crazy and sad.

I honestly don't know much about her, other than the virgin thing..(really..we still care about that?) I'm not that into track..and I don't know who else was even racing..(really wouldn't know what she looked like or what she did until I googled her.)

But I do know that there's nothing the American media likes to do more than build a person up so they can slam them back down to the ground.

edit: The Gabby thing..I was really hoping she wouldn't hear about that. Sad

And Good Hair...made me pretty speechless... The aluminum can disintegrating..omg.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

I honestly don't know much about her, other than the virgin thing..(really..we still care about that?) I'm not that into track..and I don't know who else was even racing..(really wouldn't know what she looked like or what she did until I googled her.)

But I do know that there's nothing the American media likes to do more than build a person up so they can slam them back down to the ground.

edit: The Gabby thing..I was really hoping she wouldn't hear about that. Sad

And Good Hair...made me pretty speechless... The aluminum can disintegrating..omg.

The things African American women have gone through to fit into the Eurocentric definition of "beauty". So much so, so much built in self-loathing, that they will see this accomplished, lovely young woman on TV winning gold medals and can only think about how her hair needs to be prettier so she can "represent African American females better" is one Tweet I read.

The scars are deep people. Doing my best to eradicate this line of thinking, one Facebook status update and shouting match at a time. Wink

EDITED: To add, I'm not judging any black woman who gets a perm btw. Wink Do you.

Last edited by luvDhoops on 08/08/12 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
bridgehere

PostPosted: 08/08/12 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
bridgehere wrote:

Uh, what are you talking about?

First off, I wasn't "arguing". This is a discussion topic. I was addressing points that you raised. Just because I don't agree with much of what you wrote doesn't mean that I was "arguing". If you can't tell the difference between discussion and argument, so be it. Not my problem.

Second, please tell me you're joking. I made a generic example and you somehow managed to spin it into something to be offended by. Really? You've got to be kidding me! Some of y'all are something else. Seriously.

I'll make it simple--you are looking for an argument but aren't going to get one from me. You might find a willing party on Area 51 if you look hard enough.

Seriously, I wasn't offended. I don't care. I had pointed out that I was a woman in my first response and you ignored it. Because it was you and because of your tone of response to my post in general, I thought you might be doing it on purpose and I wanted you to know that it did not offend me. You discuss or argue with whomever you want. I am through. And, I wasn't looking for an argument which is why I stopped in the first place. Is that simple enough for you?

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/08/12 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To bballfan2005's point:

Quote:
Reports of Black women hating on Gabby Douglas's hair have been greatly exaggerated.
Articles claiming that Black women have fixated on Gabby's hair have sparked the usual discussion about White beauty norms, hair politics, and internalized racism. But is it really Black women who are obsessed with Gabby Douglas' hair, or the media?

http://www.ebony.com/news-views/the-medias-gabby-douglas-problem-147

PostPosted: 08/08/12 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

And her teammates, unfortunately. Yeah. Let me be a contrarian here for a moment. And as I said earlier after Lolo was on The Tonight Show... she does nothing for me in terms of her appearance and if I were picking girlfriends from the three American 100 meter hurdles runners Lolo would be number two on the menu for me. Not that I think Dawn Wells is Halle Berry but I like her better, and her personality better, than the horsey, jockeeish Lolo.

She's telegenically beautiful and a MIX of European and African American. I think there's probably a lot of people behind her and in marketing, maybe naively, who would look that her as offering something for everyone.

But let's talk about the running and the whole she's not worthy of the attention bullshit, which, apparently, her teammates have taken from merely motivational to the point of vindictiveness.

She was America's gold medal favorite in the last Olympics, marketed as such and with her looks and then appeared to be on her way to winning when she fell down in dramatic fashion in the biggest race of her life. And the tears flowed. Instant story forever but ESPECIALLY should she ever set out on the path of trying to make up for that disaster.

Which, of course, she did. BIG story alert!

Not only do the other women not have that story ... but Lolo DOES have that story. And it's a helluva story.

She's a two-time world champion at 60 meters. Out in front in the 2008 Olympic finals going over the final hurdles.

And last night, as whomever the track expert is calling the events with Tom Hammond said, Lolo acquitted herself quite well in these 2012 finals. She didn't medal. But she was right there. She has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for. The sport has moved on. It's easy now to accept that she WAS on her way to a gold medal in 08 when she hit that hurdle... and THAT makes all this attention she received going into these games perfectly valid.

About Harper. I appreciate that she used all that happened as motivation. I can see why a person would need EVERY bit of hot little pieces of motivational anger burning in their heart to come back and try to get ready to win another gold in the Olympics. But she actually seemed permanently wounded by it all and I thought that was unhealthy and STUPID.

Girl, you won the race and gold medal. They give the gold medal to the person who wins the race. Not the person who fell on her ass tripping over a hurdle. That's Lolo's hard luck. Not yours. Maybe Lolo was going too fast, running outside of herself, out of control, and that's why she fell. Not your problem. You WON. Get a healthy thought process about what happened four freaking years ago.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
[
The things African American women have gone through to fit into the Eurocentric definition of "beauty". So much so, so much built in self-loathing, that they will see this accomplished, lovely young woman on TV winning gold medals and can only think about how her hair needs to be prettier so she can "represent African American females better" is one Tweet I read.

The scars are deep people. Doing my best to eradicate this line of thinking, one Facebook status update and shouting match at a time. Wink

EDITED: To add, I'm not judging any black woman who gets a perm btw. Wink Do you.

Harper's an unattractive woman. Period. Lolo had her in 2008 in a foot race before falling on her face but she didn't damage that face and it's something that Harper can never touch. For what it's worth. Looks are looks. This country is never going to market an unattractive woman like Harper to the point they're going to someone like Lolo.

I certainly can't know what it's like to be an African American woman in a world that has placed a much higher value on the beauty of Europeans but the freaking truth is that good looking black women aren't lacking anything in terms of beauty. There are as many beautiful females in Africa as there are in Europe or, percentage wise, Asia.

People here can go after this angle and the percentage of power brokers and the public who prefer to see lilly white faces everywhere they look and just keep beating this drum but you're ignoring and to some extent insulting all of us white people who love ALL beautiful women, and actually find ourselves gaga over more non-white faces that we do white faces. And bodies.

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 08/08/12 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bridgehere

PostPosted: 08/08/12 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
coffy73 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
bridgehere wrote:

smdh

It was, but it was just a few people talking about her hair and the media
blew that up into some big thing. I'm a black woman and I never once thought about Gabby's hair.

It was. I keep telling white people Chris Rock's "Good Hair" should be mandatory viewing for their ass. It will help clear at least a few things up. Wink

I haven't seen that by Chris Rock (or don't remember it though think I have heard him talk about good hair) but I thought Whoopi's first Broadway show was amazing and should have been an eye opener for all white people who were clueless. At the time, I had had my eyes opened some, but that show really made an impact. I grew up in an all white town of 1000. I had no clue....did not think about the hair, what was portrayed on television and the movies, nothing about so many dolls being white.

My favorite cut on black women is short and natural, if they can carry it off, but that is me. Everyone should wear their hair, their clothes, whatever, as they like. I just wish that was all I had to worry about was how someone looked. Talk about a carefree life.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 08/08/12 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

And her teammates, unfortunately. Yeah. Let me be a contrarian here for a moment. And as I said earlier after Lolo was on The Tonight Show... she does nothing for me in terms of her appearance and if I were picking girlfriends from the three American 100 meter hurdles runners Lolo would be number two on the menu for me. Not that I think Dawn Wells is Halle Berry but I like her better, and her personality better, than the horsey, jockeeish Lolo.

She's telegenically beautiful and a MIX of European and African American. I think there's probably a lot of people behind her and in marketing, maybe naively, who would look that her as offering something for everyone.

But let's talk about the running and the whole she's not worthy of the attention bullshit, which, apparently, her teammates have taken from merely motivational to the point of vindictiveness.

She was America's gold medal favorite in the last Olympics, marketed as such and with her looks and then appeared to be on her way to winning when she fell down in dramatic fashion in the biggest race of her life. And the tears flowed. Instant story forever but ESPECIALLY should she ever set out on the path of trying to make up for that disaster.

Which, of course, she did. BIG story alert!

Not only do the other women not have that story ... but Lolo DOES have that story. And it's a helluva story.

She's a two-time world champion at 60 meters. Out in front in the 2008 Olympic finals going over the final hurdles.

And last night, as whomever the track expert is calling the events with Tom Hammond said, Lolo acquitted herself quite well in these 2012 finals. She didn't medal. But she was right there. She has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of or apologize for. The sport has moved on. It's easy now to accept that she WAS on her way to a gold medal in 08 when she hit that hurdle... and THAT makes all this attention she received going into these games perfectly valid.

About Harper. I appreciate that she used all that happened as motivation. I can see why a person would need EVERY bit of hot little pieces of motivational anger burning in their heart to come back and try to get ready to win another gold in the Olympics. But she actually seemed permanently wounded by it all and I thought that was unhealthy and STUPID.

Girl, you won the race and gold medal. They give the gold medal to the person who wins the race. Not the person who fell on her ass tripping over a hurdle. That's Lolo's hard luck. Not yours. Maybe Lolo was going too fast, running outside of herself, out of control, and that's why she fell. Not your problem. You WON. Get a healthy thought process about what happened four freaking years ago.

The other two have hardship stories as well. Wells being raped by her mother's boyfriend as a teenager for one. Yet, I never heard of her or her story until two seconds before the race. Up until that point, all I knew of was Lolo Jones. I thought she was the favorite and the "star" and was shocked that she barely even qualified. I really was. I was like, wait, I thought she was the favorite. *scratching head*

PostPosted: 08/08/12 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good lord. Do I really have to point out being raped by your mother's boyfriend as a teen isn't falling down on your way to a sure gold medal in the previous Olympic games and then trying to come back and redeem yourself in these games?

PostPosted: 08/08/12 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can understand the media attention but what I don't understand is the angle that goes un-played.

How many people know that clipping that hurdle in the last olympics was an early symptom of a tethered spinal cord (per one article - or maybe it was an SEC great TV special)? That her feet were starting not to know where they were in space?

And how many more know that she had surgery to clip her spinal cord which isn't insignificant. I think it is pretty remarkable that she recovered and retrained to the point to run 4th.

We hear about the fall and expectations and her youth over and over. But we don't really hear too much about the recovery/come back aspect - it is a mention but it's like she is just covered for the sake of being covered when there really is a seemingly decent story in there. The SEC special hit this part hard and it made you want to see her succeed.

I've been a fan for a while but I have to say she has not been particularly likable of late. Maybe it seems she is more playing any angle vs. just being full on genuine...and then complaining about being torn down by the media.

I'm not sure there is anyone the media builds up that they don't end up tearing down -- whether they ask for it or not and definitely making a deal with the devil if you try and play it.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Good lord. Do I really have to point out being raped by your mother's boyfriend as a teen isn't falling down on your way to a sure gold medal in the previous Olympic games and then trying to come back and redeem yourself in these games?

Shocked

I'll let you explain this before I go in, because if you're saying what I think you're saying you might as well tell the mods to ban me now.

Mathies to LA 2013
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/08/12 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Shocked

I'll let you explain this before I go in, because if you're saying what I think you're saying you might as well tell the mods to ban me now.

Oh no, please. Go ahead. Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/08/12 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

If you're trying to explain how tripping over a hurdle is a worse comeback story than getting raped as a teenager, I'd love to hear this explanation as well.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
[

Harper's an unattractive woman. Period. Lolo had her in 2008 in a foot race before falling on her face but she didn't damage that face and it's something that Harper can never touch. For what it's worth. Looks are looks. This country is never going to market an unattractive woman like Harper to the point they're going to someone like Lolo.

I certainly can't know what it's like to be an African American woman in a world that has placed a much higher value on the beauty of Europeans but the freaking truth is that good looking black women aren't lacking anything in terms of beauty. There are as many beautiful females in Africa as there are in Europe or, percentage wise, Asia.

People here can go after this angle and the percentage of power brokers and the public who prefer to see lilly white faces everywhere they look and just keep beating this drum but you're ignoring and to some extent insulting all of us white people who love ALL beautiful women, and actually find ourselves gaga over more non-white faces that we do white faces. And bodies.

Dude, this entire exchange you quoted was about Gabby's hair and black hair in general. Wasn't about Harper or Lolo at all.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

If you're trying to explain how tripping over a hurdle is a worse comeback story than getting raped as a teenager, I'd love to hear this explanation as well.

It's not that it's a worse story.

It's a worse "Olympic" story...which is all sunshines, rainbows, and comebacks.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

It's not that it's a worse story.

It's a worse "Olympic" story...which is all sunshines, rainbows, and comebacks.

I know what jammer is trying to imply. However, post Lolo's story next to Wells' story as they line up for hurdles and Wells would get the most empathy, Olympic story or not.

HOWEVER, Wells never really got that chance. All eyes were on Lolo.

PostPosted: 08/08/12 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No need for anyone to worry themselves about how much recognition Sally Pearson gets. She is getting showered with the love of a whole country that has been following her closely for the last 4 years and whose gold medal hopes rested primarily on her shoulders. We knew all about her. Australia generally sucks on the track (12 years since our last gold), but she has won just about everything there was for her to win over the last couple of years.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: