RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Liz Cambage first woman to dunk in Olympics
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norwester

PostPosted: 08/03/12 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
gpark33 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Quote:
"I was on the bench and I just couldn't believe it. It was different to Lisa Leslie (American who dunked the ball in a WNBA game), because that one was almost a lay-up.

"This one was much more a dunk."

She also said this...

Quote:
"I have never seen one dunk in a game before," Jackson said.

which must mean she forgot she was on the bench for this one...

CP3 dunks on Storm

I'm starting to think she's just drunk now.

LOL. She's tweeting with Jayda at the moment saying she didn't say anything about Lisa and a layup so I'm starting to question the whole article.

Sick dunk though! So happy for Cambage!

Wasn't that actually what she said about...it was either Parker or Fowles...another dunk in the W a few years ago? Probably Parker? It rings some faint bells to me, but yeah, I don't see why she'd bring up LLL in this context, so I believe her when she questions it. Weird. Laughing

Also, congrats, Lizzy. Cool

PostPosted: 08/04/12 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Nice dunk by Cambage...

and for the record, IMHO, LLL's dunk was WEAK, WEAK, WEAK!

and LA lost the game at home to the Miami Sol. Guess it didn't really fire up her teammates too much.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/04/12 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ddubdawg wrote:
mb1 wrote:
Nice dunk by Cambage...

and LA lost the game at home to the Miami Sol. Guess it didn't really fire up her teammates too much.

Everyone always forgets that. Very Happy

(now with spelling variations)
jaye

PostPosted: 08/05/12 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Nice dunk by Cambage...

i like lisa... but her dunk WAS on the weak side....

PostPosted: 08/07/12 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Liz for the first Olympic women's b-ball dunk.

But I wonder if Maria Stepanova hadn't gotten injured earlier this year and was playing in this year's Olympics, if she would've blocked Liz on that play. Rolling Eyes

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/08/12 1:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Congrats to Liz for the first Olympic women's b-ball dunk.

But I wonder if Maria Stepanova hadn't gotten injured earlier this year and was playing in this year's Olympics, if she would've blocked Liz on that play. Rolling Eyes

She would probably lay on the floor on the other side of the court instead of Osipova Wink

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Kailapea

PostPosted: 08/10/12 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cambage's dunk was great for her, her team, fans and country and I have given props about it. However, for for me it has been overshadowed by a couple of her obvious sneaky / dirty shots. Her elbow to the chest of the Russian player and the "inadvertent" fist to stomach of Tamika Catching were downplayed by the announcers but in my opinion both were clearly intentional shots. Not sure she would get away with those shots stateside, as I think they would have been reviewed or someone would have retaliated.

I am a huge fan of EC, who has the potential to be a great player. But I am not feeling the cheap shots. Sad

PostPosted: 08/10/12 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Cheap" is a matter of opinon. What, post players can only take a beating but not dish it out? She got knocked around a lot in some of the games, and I'm glad she's starting to stand up for herself. At least in the Russia game. Catchings practically threw herself into Liz (as is her habit) and this time it happened to result in a blow to her diaphragm. Those always look worse than they are because they knock the wind out. Far as I could tell Cambage was just protecting herself. Potato/potahtoh

PostPosted: 08/10/12 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liz was in the classic stance - try to protect yourself with arms in front of the body and prepare for impact. It is totally natural for her hands to be clenched into fists. It's absurd to call that a cheap shot.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/10/12 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
Cambage's dunk was great for her, her team, fans and country and I have given props about it. However, for for me it has been overshadowed by a couple of her obvious sneaky / dirty shots. Her elbow to the chest of the Russian player and the "inadvertent" fist to stomach of Tamika Catching were downplayed by the announcers but in my opinion both were clearly intentional shots. Not sure she would get away with those shots stateside, as I think they would have been reviewed or someone would have retaliated.

I am a huge fan of EC, who has the potential to be a great player. But I am not feeling the cheap shots. Sad

It wasnt a cheapshot on Catchings. But the elbow against Vieru was and i didnt like it. Mainly because Vieru is probably one of the nicest cleanest players that you can go up against. If it was Korstin i would of been oke with it Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
norwester

PostPosted: 08/10/12 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Liz was in the classic stance - try to protect yourself with arms in front of the body and prepare for impact. It is totally natural for her hands to be clenched into fists. It's absurd to call that a cheap shot.

x____________
Exactly. But I stand corrected by Michelle on the Russian cheap shot. Guess Korstin was too far away. Wink (again, not condoning violence in a basketball game)

PostPosted: 08/11/12 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
"Cheap" is a matter of opinon. What, post players can only take a beating but not dish it out? She got knocked around a lot in some of the games, and I'm glad she's starting to stand up for herself. At least in the Russia game. Catchings practically threw herself into Liz (as is her habit) and this time it happened to result in a blow to her diaphragm. Those always look worse than they are because they knock the wind out. Far as I could tell Cambage was just protecting herself. Potato/potahtoh

Cheap is indeed a matter of opinion. The Catch one could be either way, I saw it my way and others saw it their way - it's all good. Be assured that I am all for standing up for ones self on the court, all athletes do it and should be or they will be seen as "soft" ... But the elbow to the chest was over the top and blatant. It was very LLL / DMJ cheap... Again... My opinion only..

PostPosted: 08/11/12 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
norwester wrote:

Cheap is indeed a matter of opinion. The Catch one could be either way, I saw it my way and others saw it their way - it's all good. Be assured that I am all for standing up for ones self on the court, all athletes do it and should be or they will be seen as "soft" ... But the elbow to the chest was over the top and blatant. It was very LLL / DMJ cheap... Again... My opinion only..

I remember watching the USA - Australia game and Tina Charles was throwin in little "bumps" with her shoulder on off plays when she could and her and Liz even got "tangled" up at the very end. It didn't make me think of Charles as a dirty player, she's just doing what she has to do to survive out there! Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: