RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Opening Ceremonies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 07/29/12 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Late-ish to to this party, but overall, I really enjoyed (most of....) the opening ceremonies.

2 points:

* I L.O.V.E.D. the kids' choirs from the 4 different parts of the UK, with the Welsh kids being the most amazing. Their exuberance was just over the top, and their singing was a pure joy. Prolly just my background as a teacher and with church music, I 'spose.

*I wish they'd have somehow fit Petula Clark into the scheme....my favorite English chanteuse. Cool (whaddya want from someone who remembers the '64 Olympics! Razz )

PostPosted: 08/12/12 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, you just got a glimpse there of what the Rio ceremony will look like...

PostPosted: 08/12/12 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Well, you just got a glimpse there of what the Rio ceremony will look like...

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1075485#1075485

i'm not sure i recognized everyone. i knew about the sambista with the broom, i saw seu jorge, pele, but who was the guy with the big glasses? he kinda looked like carlinhos brown, but not. and the woman who sang at the end? i'm embarrassed that i'm not sure who she was.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was Marisa Monte singing an aria from the Villa-Lobos' opera "As Bachianas Brasileiras" first, then with Seu Jorge the Gilberto Gil ode to Rio "Aquele Abraço", which never gets old. The rapper was B. Negão singing "Maracatu Atômico". I really enjoyed our little ceremony, as cliche and shock full of stereotypes as t was. Renato Sorriso trying to teach the security guy how to dance samba was kinda cute.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
That was Marisa Monte singing an aria from the Villa-Lobos' opera "As Bachianas Brasileiras" first, then with Seu Jorge the Gilberto Gil ode to Rio "Aquele Abraço", which never gets old. The rapper was B. Negão singing "Maracatu Atômico". I really enjoyed our little ceremony, as cliche and shock full of stereotypes as t was. Renato Sorriso trying to teach the security guy how to dance samba was kinda cute.

ahhh. i wouldn't have recognized monte or b. negão, though i know the music.

yes, cliche, but they probably thought to stick with the lowest common denominator, right? i expect we'll see the full spectrum in four years.

PostPosted: 08/12/12 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

ahhh. i wouldn't have recognized monte or b. negão, though i know the music.

yes, cliche, but they probably thought to stick with the lowest common denominator, right? i expect we'll see the full spectrum in four years.

Yeah, they only had 8 minutes, so they didn't want to reinvent the wheel, so to speak. I do hope that in 4 years they do it like in London, trying to represent an entire nation (if you can call Great Britain that), and not just the city.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: