RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Best draft picks ever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 10/15/21 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barring expansion, we need to adjust our expectations for draft classes. The league has matured to the point that few rookies are going to get the opportunities they got 15 years ago. If you averaged the classes through 2017, the mean would be 2365 games played, 1070 starts, for 1860 rating points. However, no class has reached any of those numbers since 2008.

PostPosted: 10/15/21 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:
Kelsey Plum ranks 20th of the 21 eligible #1 picks.

Curious how you arrived at your rankings. Are you counting against her the time she missed while injured? If you account for that does her ranking go up?

The system is described here:

https://www.swishappeal.com/2012/5/3/2996530/best-draft-picks-ever

Missing games hurts, but #1 overall picks is a tough peer group. You're 15 deep before you get to someone without an All WNBA mention. In terms of ratings points, the closest to average #1 overall pick is Candace Parker (who played even fewer games than Plum in her first five seasons).

PostPosted: 10/16/21 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#5 - No player drafted after #4 has produced 200 points of value. Nikki Teasley (2002) is comfortably atop the #5 picks, though it's worth noting that she fell off precipitously after the five years studied.. Grace Daley (2000) gets to bottom spot.

This stood out to me. Collier and Ogunbowale could both do it if they stay healthy, right?

PostPosted: 08/23/22 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was working on the 2018 edition today. Gonna have to wait to see if Ariel Atkins and/or Kelsey Mitchell make the All-W team. I assume A'ja Wilson will but the others are borderline.

PostPosted: 09/16/22 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How does the class of 2018 stack up?

As a whole the class produced 1700 points, the most since 2014. They had 1073 starts, the most since 2008.

Ariel Atkins is the best ever #7 pick, displacing Essence Carson

Atkins was also the steal of the draft with 150 games, 145 starts, and two All Star appearances as the #7 pick

Bust of the draft was Maria Vadeeva with 40 games, 1 start, as the #11 pick

A'ja Wilson ranks 7th of the 22 eligible #1 picks

PostPosted: 09/17/22 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suppose this is where I should give y'all an "I told you so" about Vadeeva. She gave up on the W after 40 games, which is actually more than I expected. At least seven players drafted after her have played more and most of them have also played better.

Drafting overseas players in the first round is a waste of a pick.

PostPosted: 09/18/22 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I suppose this is where I should give y'all an "I told you so" about Vadeeva. She gave up on the W after 40 games, which is actually more than I expected. At least seven players drafted after her have played more and most of them have also played better.

Lauren Jackson?πŸ€”

PostPosted: 09/18/22 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:

Lauren Jackson?πŸ€”

Ancient history. Aussies are often an exception anyway. Maybe I should have said "Euros".

PostPosted: 09/18/22 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Don't you think 2020 and the pandemic and the bubble season threw a curve here?

pilight

PostPosted: 10/17/23 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How does the class of 2019 stack up?

As a whole the class produced 1950.5 points, the most since our last expansion season in 2008. They had 1189 starts, also the most since 2008.

Arike Ogunbowale is the best ever #5 pick, displacing Nikki Teasley. She scored 214.5, the first #5 pick to break 200.

Ogunbowale was also the steal of the draft with 157 games, 152 starts, two All WNBA mentions and two other All Star nods as the #5 pick.

Bust of the draft was AD Durr with 79 games, 17 starts as the #2 pick.

Jackie Young ranks 15th of the 23 eligible #1 picks.

PostPosted: 10/17/23 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get that the numbers say that about AD, but I'd say they're doing pretty well for someone who seems to have been the target of the universe's ire for about two years.

(now with spelling variations)
RP

PostPosted: 10/18/23 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every head must bow, every tongue must confess, A'ja Wilson is the greatest of all time.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/18/23 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
Every head must bow, every tongue must confess, A'ja Wilson is the greatest of all time.

There were several posters here that said Wilson was just an average player the year that she was drafted. Myrtle where are you?😎

PostPosted: 10/18/23 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:

Not yet ready to give her all time but what she’s done in literally 5 years gives me all time goat consideration already .

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: