RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Darling Reunion with Hughes Possible?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/04/05 5:25 pm    ::: Darling Reunion with Hughes Possible? Reply Reply with quote

Knowing the faith that Hughes had in Darling during his stay with the Rockers, I was wondering if there is any way he would try to acquire her.

PeeWee could be involved in a trade for Darling and Minny's first rounder.

PeeWee may feel more comfortable playing with Olympic teammate and friend Katie Smith who she also teamed up with in the ABL for the Columbus Quest. Some of the luster has been removed from PeeWee after struggling through last season, and a relatively strong rookie showing by Toccara Williams may encourage Hughes and the Silver Stars to make a change to someone who will fit what their scheme.

This would also give Minn a clear upgrade at PG and if Edwards comes back another year, they should be pretty well off.

PostPosted: 01/04/05 9:58 pm    ::: No thanks Reply Reply with quote

No offense, but I dont think Pee Wee would be a good fit here.

I like the idea of sending Darling to San Antonio though.

We really do need a point guard, but neither of the above. I hope Kristi Harrower returns. She is a great guard and we need her.

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/04/05 10:17 pm    ::: Re: No thanks Reply Reply with quote

Pee Wee is a bit wild and not the PG Minnesota needs. She's also peaked and is unlikely to get any better. She's an upgrade over Darling and T Edwards but I think Minnesota would do better to look elsewhere for a long term solution to fill the PG spot.
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/05/05 1:18 am    ::: not peewee, please Reply Reply with quote

She looked fine in the Olympics, but we don't need a streaky shoot-first type up here (unless Katie gets hurt again). We need a fast, reliable distributor who can get the ball to Katie, Vanessa or Nicole without turning it over half the time. Ticha Penichiero, if she were about six years younger, would be great. Sue Bird's imaginary identical twin sister would be great. Lindsay Whalen... yeah, we've all been there. Teresa Edwards no longer brings the ball up (the Lynx started winning as soon as she moved to the two) and will probably retire. Kristi Harrower has said she won't come back to the Lynx unless she can start; if SMS and Hughes both want to send Darling to Texas and bring Kristi back, that's fine with me, but I don't expect it will happen.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/05/05 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pee Wee plays her best when she plays with Katie Smith (Quest, Olympics). Katie brings out the best of Shannon.

If Shannon buys into SMS' system, it would work. But will she buy into it? Might be too big of a risk...

Shaqfan

PostPosted: 01/05/05 2:35 am    ::: Pee Wee Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Accom.

We need someone to distribute the ball, and I dont think Pee Wee is that type of guard. Isnt that why T-Bow wanted to trade her for Whalen. ?

Seems to me she has somewhat of a chip on her shoulder from that whole transaction.

I was sitting in the front row behind the SASS bench last summer, when the Stars played the Lynx at the Target Center. Marie was obviously out for the season, so she was in street clothes. Pee Wee was in uniform but was not participating in all the warm up drills. Marie saw this media guide thing, which had this article on Whalen, and the trade that Mike made to get her. Well Marie walked over to Pee Wee with it, and said, hey check this out. Pee Wee looked at it, and at the same time they both looked at eachother and rolled their eyes and made a somesort of rude comment.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/05/05 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Cam; if Pee Wee buys in, she can be spectacular. Ask Van, she may have been the best PG during the Olympics.

Part of her leaving CT was a need to shake the team up, it wasn't getting any better, and Nykesha and Taj weren't going to go anywhere.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/05/05 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I agree with Cam; if Pee Wee buys in, she can be spectacular. Ask Van, she may have been the best PG during the Olympics.

Well, no. Dawn Staley was unquestionably the best PG on Team USA during the Olympics.

PostPosted: 01/05/05 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the way you just make factual opinionated statements pilight. And don't throw stats around either, because we know those can be manipulated too.

I felt that the defensive intensity and aggression Pee Wee brought during the Olympics was more important than any other PG on that team.

IT IS AN OPINION AFTER ALL, PILIGHT!

pilight

PostPosted: 01/05/05 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Ask Van, she may have been the best PG during the Olympics.

OK. In the press conference immediately following the Gold Medal game, Van said...

For the ultimate, ultimate team game, and that's basketball, there's only one basketball and everybody wants to shoot it. Dawn Staley is the ultimate. Tonight I'll give you one reason. Both of my assistants who were sitting next to me were just pulling my arms. Yanking me almost in a wrestling hold saying ‘coach. You have to put Dawn in the game. You have to get Dawn back in there. One was on this arm, I'd walk away and Anne (Donovan) was on the other arm. I said, ‘Dawn has two fouls.' they said it doesn't matter, get her back in the game. I said okay, back in the game. I wasn't going to fight those two women.

Both assistants realized that the team needed Dawn instead of PeeWee. The only reason Van was resistant was her foul trouble, nothing about PeeWee being better or playing better.

What did he say about PeeWee? That she's a role player...

Yolanda Griffith. What a great player. Pee Wee Johnson, great player. They accept roles with USA Basketball and that's why we win.

In the end, with the Gold Medal on the line, it was Staley running the show. It was Staley that hit the FTs in the final minutes to ice the game. It was Staley that got Harrower in foul trouble. If you want some more opinions, I can give you some quotes from Diana Taurasi, Lisa Leslie, and Tina Thompson about Staley being the difference maker.

PostPosted: 01/05/05 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not necessary, I also don't doubt they said that. I also don't doubt that Dawn was the unquestioned face and locker room leader of that team, and the elder stateswoman. They were all going to say that, if Dawn committed 10 turnovers a game.

As I said, IN MY OPINION, the team ran the best when Pee Wee was out there. In YOUR OPINION and if you want to say that Van the Politician is speaking only the truth, fine his too, Dawn was.

OPINIONS!

Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/05/05 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not necessary, I also don't doubt they said that. I also don't doubt that Dawn was the unquestioned face and locker room leader of that team, and the elder stateswoman. They were all going to say that, if Dawn committed 10 turnovers a game.

As I said, IN MY OPINION, the team ran the best when Pee Wee was out there. In YOUR OPINION and if you want to say that Van the Politician is speaking only the truth, fine his too, Dawn was.

OPINIONS!

I'll show you an opinion! Yours stinks! Surprised (JK)

Dawn, in my opinion, is not only a better point guard for the Olympic team but was a significantly better point guard in the WNBA. Only Sue and Whalen (DT to a degree, depending if you call her a PG) were able to turn on their offense as needed to suit their team, all the while running the team effectively distributing the ball. I would say Nikki Teasley was close although I think there were more times when Teasley forced shots or opted out of trying to make herself as much of an option in crucial times for LA throughout the year, however she did a significantly better job than PeeWee.

I'm going to go on a limb and say it wasn't THAT EASY of a year for PeeWee. While she may have wanted out of Conn, it must have been difficult to have the picture painted as the team feeling more confident and more successful without her. Conn did not miss her, but I would be willing to bet she missed Conn a bit.

PostPosted: 01/05/05 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shannon Johnson, during the Olympic Games, was put in a situation that she was not originally planned for...Katie Smith would have had a lot of Johnson's minutes, not as a pg, but when PeeWee was used as the 2-guard. Her defensive intensity in a couple of games was essential to getting the team fired up to take the game instead of just playing around with it. As I recall, she was shooting well during the medal rounds, so that could have been part of Van's thinking to keep her in.

I thought she would be a "mere" role player on that team, but sitting here post-OG's, that team would not have been as special without her. I also have to think that the OG's were the salvation of her season last year after going through the apparent issues involved in leaving the Sun and the dismal season in SA.

The bottom line is that Staley and Johnson turned out to be a formidable pair on the floor in Athens. We can only hope that the likes of Taurasi, Beard and Whalen can inspire, motivate and will the 2008 National Women's Team to the same undefeated end.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/05/05 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
The bottom line is that Staley and Johnson turned out to be a formidable pair on the floor in Athens. We can only hope that the likes of Taurasi, Beard and Whalen can inspire, motivate and will the 2008 National Women's Team to the same undefeated end.

Well said; I never meant it to be a contest where anyone may have thought I was belittling one of my icons and heroes, Ms. Staley. She is a tremendous role model, and I can't wait for her book series to come out to buy it for Dani, too!

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/05/05 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Well said; I never meant it to be a contest where anyone may have thought I was belittling one of my icons and heroes, Ms. Staley. She is a tremendous role model, and I can't wait for her book series to come out to buy it for Dani, too!

Pee Wee SHOT superbly during the Olympics; I'm not sure I'd say that she did a better job running the team, but since her shots generally turned into points, I'd say she made pretty good use of her minutes.

Another reason I'm not sure the Lynx want her: mentorship. It's a very young team; the key scorers, Smith excepted, were this year's rookies, as is the current backup point guard (Jacobs). Does Pee Wee have the personality to provide in-game support for all those young players, as Edwards and Staley clearly do. (If Edwards doesn't retire that's not an issue.)

What's this about Staley's book series? Is she writing or co-writing YA fiction? Do tell.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/05/05 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Pilight had posted it when it came up, and I believe it was on the Sting web site, but I can't find it now.

She's writing/written a series of YA books and is shopping them around for publishing if I recall correctly.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/05/05 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:

Pee Wee SHOT superbly during the Olympics; I'm not sure I'd say that she did a better job running the team, but since her shots generally turned into points, I'd say she made pretty good use of her minutes.

Pee Wee actually shot under 40% for the Olympics (Staley was over 50%).

She shot very well in streaks, including during the Gold Medal game, and poorly in others. No surprise there, she's always been up & down in that regard.

PostPosted: 01/05/05 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Lynx can bring Kristi Harrower back into the fold, who thinks Amber Jacobs is even in the W next season? I personally like Jacobs and wish April McDivitt would have made a team last year...gotta support my shorties!

When Edwards retires it will create a leadership vaccuum there. Not so much in the locker room, but the floor leadership will definitely be impacted.

I still want to see the Twin Towers of Hayden and Ohlde...I hope Nicole has been working on her jumper and three point shot this off season and that Vanessa has gotten healthier and is ready to go in May.

Keegan

PostPosted: 01/05/05 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pee Wee brings defense but she creates offense for herself, first and foremost.

She's a good player but not a good PG and one of those players who looks better on other teams than your own.
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 01/05/05 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder why??? Hmmmmmm..... Smile

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Pee Wee plays her best when she plays with Katie Smith (Quest, Olympics). Katie brings out the best of Shannon.

If Shannon buys into SMS' system, it would work. But will she buy into it? Might be too big of a risk...

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/05/05 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*waits for Admiral to comment*

KeiraNY wrote:
I wonder why??? Hmmmmmm..... Smile

Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/05/05 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please, do not encourage!

Quote:

KeiraNY wrote:
I wonder why??? Hmmmmmm.....

PostPosted: 01/05/05 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
Please, do not encourage!

Quote:

KeiraNY wrote:
I wonder why??? Hmmmmmm.....

Oh, you asked for it! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 01/05/05 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're both huge Dannii Minogue fans.
Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/05/05 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're both tall white girls who like to shoot...

Oh, right, wrong thread.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: