RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Emily Niemann wants to leave Baylor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/02/05 7:00 pm    ::: Emily Niemann wants to leave Baylor Reply Reply with quote

http://www.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/stories/080205aad.html

"Due to the timing and circumstances of this request, Baylor University has denied Emily permission to speak with another institution about transferring," Baylor Director of Athletics Ian McCaw said.

PostPosted: 08/02/05 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was the only one I liked on that team, and now I like her even more.

I can't wait to see where she ends up.

boilerjay

PostPosted: 08/02/05 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So KMR is basically holding a player hostage.

It's odd that a gal who played such an integral role in a National Championship would want to do this, but if a player doesn't want to be there, why keep her there?

wacokid

PostPosted: 08/03/05 5:11 am    ::: Re: Emily Niemann wants to leave Baylor Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/stories/080205aad.html

"Due to the timing and circumstances of this request, Baylor University has denied Emily permission to speak with another institution about transferring," Baylor Director of Athletics Ian McCaw said.

Why don't you finish the quote instead of taking things out of context?
Baylor's athletic director finishes with:

"In accordance with NCAA regulations and our policies and procedures, Emily has requested an appeals hearing and that committee will convene in the near future to render its final decision on her request. Until that process is completed, we will have no additional comment on her status."

wacokid

PostPosted: 08/03/05 5:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is something fishy about this whole episode.
Why did Emily really quit?
It couldn't have been her explanation.

"It is with shock and personal disappointment that we announce Emily Niemann is leaving our program," said Mulkey-Robertson, who is on a family vacation and will have no further comment on Niemann's transfer request. "While on vacation this week I received an e-mail from Emily informing me that she wishes to leave Baylor. According to Emily's e-mail, she does not believe she can reach her full potential in our program.

Why would a person wait until two weeks before school starts to make an announcement about switching schools?
What a stab in the back. She really screwed Baylor.
Wow! To get an email like that while you are on vacation!!!

wacokid

PostPosted: 08/03/05 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Waco paper on August 3rd:

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/sports/college/2005/08/03/20050803wacemily.html

wacokid

PostPosted: 08/03/05 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach Kim is on vacation, she got an e-mail from Emily saying
she wanted to leave Baylor because, she didn't feel she could
reach her full potential as a basketball player at Baylor. Coach
Kim was in complete Shock!! so is everyone at Baylor. The
coach is not going to do anything until she comes off vacation.
Emily cannot contact any other school until, a hearing at Baylor.
I'll keep you informed. Shock! shock! shock! to everyone here.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 08/03/05 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just two weeks ago, Emily and the rest of the Lady Bears visited the White House. She appeared happy at the time. (Back row, glasses) http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/07/images/20050720-1_p072005pm-0026jasjp-515h.html

Then again, this is the 21st century, in which couples break up by IMing. Her quitting the team by e-mail tells me Emily didn't have the guts to tell Kim Mulkey-Robertson in person. KMR has always had high praise for Emily, even back in high school. http://www.gballmag.com/hero-niemann.html

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 08/03/05 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seniors- especially ones who would likely start- don't leave for no reason. Nor do they leave for "good" reasons- like another school offers a more suitable academic program. I have a strong, strong suspicion- and that's all it is- that Emily is leaving Baylor for very personal reasons not related to the team- boy/girlfriend issues, family problems, "lost" God, "found" God but she's (of course God is a woman- it's the only explanation for my love life) someplace else, &c.

~Bill

Carol Anne wrote:
Just two weeks ago, Emily and the rest of the Lady Bears visited the White House. She appeared happy at the time. (Back row, glasses) http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/07/images/20050720-1_p072005pm-0026jasjp-515h.html

Then again, this is the 21st century, in which couples break up by IMing. Her quitting the team by e-mail tells me Emily didn't have the guts to tell Kim Mulkey-Robertson in person. KMR has always had high praise for Emily, even back in high school. http://www.gballmag.com/hero-niemann.html

PostPosted: 08/03/05 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's so much of a young person's thing in this day and age - communicating only via email, changing on a dime, suddenly refusing to talk to people, being rude. But it plagues adults, too. I don't know what's up with the world anymore, and it worries me.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/03/05 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
It's so much of a young person's thing in this day and age - communicating only via email, changing on a dime, suddenly refusing to talk to people, being rude. But it plagues adults, too. I don't know what's up with the world anymore, and it worries me.

Damn Sass, that's way too heavy for a Wednesday morning....

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/03/05 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rene Portland doesn't release a player from a scholarship and she is rightly vilified. Granted, there are different circumstances, but KMR doesn't release a player from a scholarship and no one is criticizing her. If Niemann wants to leave, she should be able to leave and Baylor should do nothing to stand in her way.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 08/03/05 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fwiw, I have had the impression that: a) Baylor doesn't have the whole story on why Emily wants to leave, and is preserving the status quo until it does; and b) the e-mail may have been the only way for Emily to contact KMR when she was on vacation. Point being, I think it's a bit early to "villify" anyone just yet.

~Bill

PUmatty wrote:
Rene Portland doesn't release a player from a scholarship and she is rightly vilified. Granted, there are different circumstances, but KMR doesn't release a player from a scholarship and no one is criticizing her. If Niemann wants to leave, she should be able to leave and Baylor should do nothing to stand in her way.

PostPosted: 08/03/05 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matty -

The situations are different. Portland told the player she was not welcome back, then would not release her. Here, the player initiated the process in a manner not in accordance with NCAA regs. We don't know the circumstances which led to Niemann's decision, but it seems to me the AD is saying "Let's wait and get all the facts etc. before letting her walk away." Remember it's too late for KMR to fill that roster spot with a recruit, so she and the team are the ones who are being disadvantaged.

sbjules

PostPosted: 08/03/05 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember it's too late for KMR to fill that roster spot with a recruit, so she and the team are the ones who are being disadvantaged.

They are not the only ones being disadvantaged. By not respecting Niemann's decision, she is being disadvantaged. Sounds like an awfully paternalistic AD to me.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 08/03/05 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds like an awfully paternalistic AD to me.

After the tragedy in Baylor's men's basketball program, I'm not surprised that Ian McEwan sticks to NCAA rules.

sbjules

PostPosted: 08/03/05 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not surprised that Ian McEwan sticks to NCAA rules.

Which rule says, don't release her?

When Erin Buescher wanted to leave UCSB, everyone cried but the University granted her release. And our coach & team wished her well. The fans....well.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 08/03/05 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
Quote:
I'm not surprised that Ian McEwan sticks to NCAA rules.

Which rule says, don't release her?

When Erin Buescher wanted to leave UCSB, everyone cried but the University granted her release. And our coach & team wished her well. The fans....well.

Yeah, what rule says don't release her? And how did she initiate it that was not in accordance with NCAA regs?

I thought they were just not commenting until the appeal that is/was due to Emily due to regs.

It isa bummer for her to want to leave, but I would think (as someone stated above) that Baylor probably doesn't have all the facts. Hopefully, it will work itself out in the appeals process... Yes, it hurts Baylor to have Emily leave, but they should grant the release anyway, for many reasons.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/03/05 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO, it really doesn't matter why she wants to go ... If she wants to go, the school needs to release her. I think this of all NCAA athletes. Whether its Baylor or NCAA regs that are holding her back -- my guess is it's Baylor -- they need to let her go.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 08/04/05 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's wait until the committee meets before vilifying anyone. If the committee says "no, you can't leave," then let's vilify.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 08/04/05 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
IMO, it really doesn't matter why she wants to go ... If she wants to go, the school needs to release her. I think this of all NCAA athletes. Whether its Baylor or NCAA regs that are holding her back -- my guess is it's Baylor -- they need to let her go.

I think it matters to the extent that those in the know may regard this as a rash decision by a student, and may be hoping that a cooling-off period and some quiet counsel can make things right. If that's the case, BU might rightfully believe it is in everyone's best interests not to implicate another school just yet.

~Bill

PostPosted: 08/04/05 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My bad - I misread and misspoke. I mixed together the AD's two statements.

She was denied beacause of the lateness (and probably the method) of her request, and also apparently some circumstances yet unknown. She didn't break any rules. But Baylor has a right to protect their own interest. So according to NCAA rules, they denied the request and it will go to appeal.

Technically, yes, she is being disadvantaged. But she put herself in that position, and she's probably aware of that. She's gotta sit out a year anyway after transferring. I believe as long as it's settled before this season starts (meaning some date the NCAA has set), she can play elswhere in '06.

Gaucho Don

PostPosted: 08/04/05 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkee212 wrote:
Seniors- especially ones who would likely start- don't leave for no reason. Nor do they leave for "good" reasons- like another school offers a more suitable academic program. I have a strong, strong suspicion- and that's all it is- that Emily is leaving Baylor for very personal reasons not related to the team- boy/girlfriend issues, family problems, "lost" God, "found" God but she's (of course God is a woman- it's the only explanation for my love life) someplace else, &c.

~Bill

Wasn't she going to be a Junior, not a Senior?

Also, along the lost/found God lines... this is the end of her bio:

Quote:
Selected Baylor over Oklahoma, Colorado and Texas ... Chose Baylor because "I know God wanted me here."

http://baylorbears.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/niemann_emily00.html

Sass

PostPosted: 08/04/05 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Gaucho Don"]
bballjunkee212 wrote:

Quote:
Selected Baylor over Oklahoma, Colorado and Texas ... Chose Baylor because "I know God wanted me here."

http://baylorbears.collegesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/niemann_emily00.html

Ah, that explains everything. God fucks up so much. Laughing

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
wacokid

PostPosted: 08/04/05 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The word here, which is not official, is that a family member is giving
Emily very bad advice. Emily could not play for teams like Tenn. Uconn. and LSU because she is way too slow. A team like Baylor
specializes in breaking a zone by her 3 point shooting. Some
people think that two of the freshmen coming in, who are both players of the year, would sit Emily on the bench even more, but, who knows?
I'm waiting for the real story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: