RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sky Blue FC vs. Red Stars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 04/19/09 8:43 am    ::: Sky Blue FC vs. Red Stars Reply Reply with quote

Home opener today in Chicago!

This will also be on FSC.

PostPosted: 04/19/09 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, sparse crowd but it is raining I guess. The Cubs game got postponed.

Still, a tough way to open up at home Sad

Oh and Bullsky, get ready to switch your signature to 1-1 tomorrow Cool

PostPosted: 04/19/09 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad Cristiane got the start.

PostPosted: 04/19/09 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Found a stream if anyone's interested: http://www.justin.tv/xyyz

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/19/09 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Close call for Sky Blue. Almost got a goal. Jonnson should've stayed in.

PostPosted: 04/19/09 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yellow card for Sky Blue.

A girl took down Carney. Don't mess with my brit! Wink

PostPosted: 04/19/09 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! What a play by Rapinoe!

PostPosted: 04/19/09 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're really making every effort to confuse casual fans with this game. Sky Blue FC, playing in orange, against an opponent playing in sky blue (whose name also happens to have 'Red' in it). And then on the on-screen score graphic in the top left, Sky Blue are designated as 'NJ', which isn't part of the team's name at all. Ugh.

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/19/09 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The game finished up in a scoreless tie.

Despite the score, I thought it was a pretty fun match. Lots of opportunities for chicago to score, but they culd never seem to score on their corners. We need to improve our execution.

Location: Charles Ct, across the street from Monty's Motor Speedway and just off Taurasi Turnpike.

PostPosted: 04/19/09 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I liked the way Sky Blue is starting to combine up top. That one that went O'Reilly, Walsh, O'Reilly, and back to McCallum (I believe) would have been pretty sweet. Now they just need to, you know. Work on finishing.

Nice avatar, Richyyy. Wink

PostPosted: 04/19/09 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfanswhine wrote:

Oddly enough, I kinda like yours as well Smile.

Wouldn't happen to know anyone who could hook me up with a ticket for May 30th, would you?

Scarab

PostPosted: 04/19/09 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
They're really making every effort to confuse casual fans with this game. Sky Blue FC, playing in orange, against an opponent playing in sky blue (whose name also happens to have 'Red' in it). And then on the on-screen score graphic in the top left, Sky Blue are designated as 'NJ', which isn't part of the team's name at all. Ugh.

Count me among the confused...had to keep reminding myself which team was which lol.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 04/19/09 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
sportsfanswhine wrote:

Wouldn't happen to know anyone who could hook me up with a ticket for May 30th, would you?

Going to a game at Wembley is on my list of football related top things to do, but May 30th isn't likely to work out.
Can't some team start using it as a home field for Christ's sakes?

PostPosted: 04/21/09 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If anyone does attend, perhaps they'll let you take a chunk of sod home:

Wembley to replace grass again at end of season
Quote:
The 90,000-seat stadium opened two years ago at a cost of 798 million pounds ($1.16 billion) -- a record for a football stadium -- but the large stands block much of the sunshine from the grass, which is also damaged by music concerts and other sports.

Quote:
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger called the pitch "a disaster" and "laughable" after his side's loss, while Ferguson said the surface was "dead" and hampered passing football.

sportsfanswhine

Location: Charles Ct, across the street from Monty's Motor Speedway and just off Taurasi Turnpike.

PostPosted: 04/21/09 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
sportsfanswhine wrote:

I wish, man.

As it is, I'm planning to head down to the local pub that will be playing the game early enough to get a good seat. Or more like: standing position.

PostPosted: 04/21/09 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
If anyone does attend, perhaps they'll let you take a chunk of sod home...

Yeah, the Wembley pitch is really a joke, especially for the showpiece stadium in the country (and the one all the home internationals are played on). There's another argument alongside that which is that no one really wants the semi-finals to be played there anyway. Historically they've always been played at large club stadiums around the country (Old Trafford, Anfield, Villa Park etc.), leaving the prize of playing at Wembley for the finalists, but the FA need to play the semis there to try and make some money (considering the ridiculous amount that the stadium cost in the first place).

sportsfanswhine wrote:
As it is, I'm planning to head down to the local pub that will be playing the game early enough to get a good seat. Or more like: standing position.

See this is one of the things I'd have trouble acclimatising to if I ever emigrate to the US - having to get up in time to be down the pub at 10 in the morning to watch the football.

And just to get this mildly back on topic, England's Women have a friendly against Norway on Thursday night in Shrewsbury, and all the WPS girls are in the squad (Smith, Scott, Carney, Aluko, Asante). So if any of them look tired during WPS games at the weekend, that'll be why.

T-dot

PostPosted: 04/21/09 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank God for Setanta for moving Man Utd games to, at the earliest, 10.00am but mostly 12.30pm...

Even though I got used to it, those 7.00am games really weren't good for the body.

PostPosted: 04/22/09 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
And just to get this mildly back on topic, England's Women have a friendly against Norway on Thursday night in Shrewsbury, and all the WPS girls are in the squad (Smith, Scott, Carney, Aluko, Asante). So if any of them look tired during WPS games at the weekend, that'll be why.

Brazil and Germany played today. Mittag scored for the Germans and new sensation Maurine scored for the Brazilians off a cross from Marta.
Prinz left the match with back spasms and it looks like she might have fractured a rib. Today was Brazil's first match under new head coach Kleiton Lima. He replaced Jorge Barcellos, now coaching in the WPS.
Brazil and Germany play again on May 22 and we'll play Sweden on May 25.

PostPosted: 04/23/09 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

England won 3-0 this evening (Norway are thoroughly mediocre these days). Two for Fara Williams (including a blinder from about 25 yards) and one for central defender Lindsay Johnson. Carney crosses led to both the first two goals.

Half the starting lineup may be playing professionally in the US these days, but nothing's changed - Smith, Carney and Williams are still class, Aluko and Asante are both still basically rubbish.

sportsfanswhine

PostPosted: 04/23/09 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Unitt still start? She played in Jersey a few years ago. Still with Everton Ladies for now, right? How's she look?

PostPosted: 04/23/09 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfanswhine wrote:
Does Unitt still start? She played in Jersey a few years ago. Still with Everton Ladies for now, right? How's she look?

She still plays regularly for Everton Ladies, but she's been displaced at left-back in the England team the last year or two by Casey Stoney of Chelsea. Unitt's now a regular fixture on the subs bench in practically every game. It actually hurts our balance a bit because Stoney is thoroughly right-footed, but I guess Hope Powell (England coach) thinks Stoney is a more reliable defender.

Unitt still got a couple of mentions in the pub I watched the game in tonight because people remember her as 'the hot one'. Can't say I blame them, really Wink.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: