RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

LA vs. Washington
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/31/09 1:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Soccer stats are meaningless to me. What matters is the ball in the net. Like for instance yesterday I swear to God our goalie was a miracle worker, I don't think I've seen a performance by a goalie like that in a loooong time. He almost worked a final miracle, but the only chance we got, we scored and then it didn't matter how many shots at goal the other team got, they didn't score (until they did).
It's a freaking weird game...and like I've said, the unthinkable happens way too often (in elimination games, especially) for stats to matter.
Of course you can look at missed passes, corners, but you can't take a whole lot from looking at boxscores as is the case with other team sports.
I wasn't very helpful was I? Laughing

It's helpful to me. Here's something else I found, too.

http://www.theoffside.com/world-football/wps-debuts-marta-shines-ap-report-doesnt.html

"The big draw was Brazilian maestro Marta, pictured above signing autographs for the “Marta Maniacs”. And she did the business on the pitch too. You can catch a glimpse of her selling a stepover, accelerating away and playing teammate Camille Abily through to score Sol’s second goal in the video below:

Jeez. This is whole new language. I like it. But it's going to be while before I can understand it.

This is less esoteric.

"Seems to me that Marta is exactly the player WPS needs. She’s easily the most recognizable name in women’s soccer - like David Beckham in a way. But unlike Beckham she’s also extremely exciting to watch when she has the ball, because she attacks at pace and with a bag of tricks.

I’d even argue that MLS would do well to ditch the policy of signing aging male superstars to fat DP contracts, and offer Marta a contract instead. I doubt MLS defences would give her too much trouble to be honest. But that’s an argument for another day."

PostPosted: 03/31/09 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh. Take note of this person's criticism of the AP game article that appeared in the New York Times... as well as other places. I KNOW that AP writer. lol! He don't know shit about soccer is right! That's why I didn't DARE write a piece on this game. You can't fake it.

PostPosted: 03/31/09 3:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Does anyone know where I could find a complete box for of the game, in the article they only have a simplified version of the box score on the website?

Not sure if this is exactly what you're seeking, but STATS, Inc.'s website might be worth digging around:

Box Score

Matchcast

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/31/09 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Soccer lingo is very regional, it's actually funny. It's kind of part of the folklore. So I too have to learn what some plays, dribbles, etc, are called in English.
That's an interesting boxscore. I guess in the long run, stats do matter. In most countries there's no playoffs, so the more consistent team ends up the champion. So you can in the long term infer how a team plays by looking at stats such as crosses and offsides.
Also interesting to notice that club stats are missing from the boxscore such as ball possession and passing rating. Oh and my favorite stat: how much time the ball is actually in play vs. dead ball which is directly related to the number of fouls, for instance.

PostPosted: 03/31/09 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Does anyone know where I could find a complete box for of the game, in the article they only have a simplified version of the box score on the website?

Not sure if this is exactly what you're seeking, but STATS, Inc.'s website might be worth digging around:

Box Score

Matchcast

Yes!!!

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much for posting the link to it. Very Happy

sportsfanswhine

Location: Charles Ct, across the street from Monty's Motor Speedway and just off Taurasi Turnpike.

PostPosted: 03/31/09 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw some people saying that they thought Sol looked okay but that there were too many individuals and not enough teamwork.

That couldn't possibly be further from what I saw. I like how Marta, Duan, and Miyama work together up front and their defense actually takes an active part in the offense. I was admittedly a little concerned to see Britney Bock playing as a center back -- I mean, I would have thought she'd been on either wing before center -- but the defense held up pretty well, despite not being tested all that much. So far, given how little the teams have been together, I think they've actually set the standard fairly high as far as playing as a cohesive unit goes.

Looking forward to seeing them in person this Sunday in New Jersey. Hopefully they are a little less cohesive then, of course. Laughing

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, but: where was Washington's midfield and could whoever stole it please give it back?

PostPosted: 03/31/09 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfanswhine wrote:
I saw some people saying that they thought Sol looked okay but that there were too many individuals and not enough teamwork.

That couldn't possibly be further from what I saw. I like how Marta, Duan, and Miyama work together up front and their defense actually takes an active part in the offense. I was admittedly a little concerned to see Britney Bock playing as a center back -- I mean, I would have thought
she'd been on either wing before center -- but the defense held up pretty well, despite not being tested all that much. So far, given how little the teams have been together, I think they've actually set the standard fairly high as far as playing as a cohesive unit goes.

Looking forward to seeing them in person this Sunday in New Jersey. Hopefully they are a little less cohesive then, of course. Laughing

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, but: where was Washington's midfield and could whoever stole it please give it back?

I think overall the worked together as a team very well, but of course there were some moments when things were off, timing, communication, etc. of course that's expected being the first game and only practicing for about a month. I expect them to continue to improve as they have more time together.

BTW hope you enjoy the game. Very Happy

kage

PostPosted: 04/09/09 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW, game report from Buelah

http://www.beulahsports.com/wps_3_29_09.html

Fun report to read.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: