RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Field Hockey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyk

PostPosted: 08/09/08 8:20 pm    ::: Field Hockey Reply Reply with quote

Over at NBC's website they're showing field hockey online live streaming. I find field hockey fascinating...and it's good to see more than one goal in a game. The only full game I've ever seen was the ACC Championship last year or the year before, and both teams scored 1 goal.

The only problem with the streaming is...well, there's no commentary. So I don't understand the finer points. Like what the dotted line is for...anyone know?

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 08/10/08 1:15 am    ::: Re: Field Hockey Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
Over at NBC's website they're showing field hockey online live streaming. I find field hockey fascinating...and it's good to see more than one goal in a game. The only full game I've ever seen was the ACC Championship last year or the year before, and both teams scored 1 goal.

The only problem with the streaming is...well, there's no commentary. So I don't understand the finer points. Like what the dotted line is for...anyone know?

The hockey's a favourite of mine - a buddy is on the Aussie women's team ... first game tonight! Can't wait. I think the dotted line has a number of purposes, not least of all to indicate where a long corner (A long corner is awarded if the ball goes over the backline after last being touched by a defender) is taken along the end line. It's also the zone (5ft beyond the shooting circle), that players are unable to raise the ball off the ground.

If ya have any more questions, Jimmy, just pm me if you want and I'll TRY to help you out if I can Wink

PostPosted: 08/10/08 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand it either. Sometimes, the player can hit the ball in the goal, and it won't count. Too confusing for me...

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 08/10/08 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bludev03 wrote:
I don't understand it either. Sometimes, the player can hit the ball in the goal, and it won't count. Too confusing for me...

Um. Pretty sure that happens in ice hockey, basketball, soccer and a few others too Rolling Eyes

Just takes a little bit of patience ... or a little time on google.

PostPosted: 08/10/08 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FWIW the NYTimes blogged the US/Argentina game and has some rule details included...

http://olympics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/live-soon-womens-hockey-usa-vs-argentina/

PostPosted: 08/10/08 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bludev03 wrote:

You can only score from inside the circle. The dotted line is the 16 yard line. It is the point where the defense will take the free hit following a foul by the offense in the defensive end.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 08/10/08 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sweet! Good info. Last night I effectively tripled the number of field hockey games I've seen in my lifetime (Maryland/Wake Forest in last year's ACC championship game being the first) by watching China and

I watched the China game, and they had two goals that were well inside the circle called off, in a scrum (more or less) in front of the net and the other team actually poked it in on accident. I figured that someone from China touched it wrong first and they didn't count it for that reason. They won 3-0 over Spain, but it should've been 6-0 because they missed two wide open goals.

Hopefully next weekend I'll get to see some USA games so I can get some commentary as it happens. Right now, though, I'm okay. I'll go watch some men's action whenever it starts.

AAEmotion, if you've got any of the messengers, get my info from the icons below and give me a holler during games if I'm online and maybe we can watch the same ones so I can figure out more of what's going on.

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 08/10/08 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
AAEmotion, if you've got any of the messengers, get my info from the icons below and give me a holler during games if I'm online and maybe we can watch the same ones so I can figure out more of what's going on.

Done on AIM mate. I doubt we'll get many coinciding games until the medal rounds though ... our TV coverage has been HORRIBLE. Absolutely terrible.

PostPosted: 08/10/08 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAEmotion wrote:
Done on AIM mate. I doubt we'll get many coinciding games until the medal rounds though ... our TV coverage has been HORRIBLE. Absolutely terrible.

It hasn't told me about it yet, unless I added you already in the past sometime...maybe it'll save it until I open it back up or something.

I'm not getting any of the field hockey on TV, just online...and from what I'm hearing NBC doesn't allow anyone outside the country to watch their online feed, which makes exactly no sense...except maybe to assure that there won't be major buffering problems. Which is something else I've heard is a big problem. Hope it's not tomorrow.

Hopefully tomorrow night I'll get on and watch some more of the women's games. We'll see how it goes, because I have a lot to do tomorrow.

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 08/11/08 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
AAEmotion wrote:

It hasn't told me about it yet, unless I added you already in the past sometime...maybe it'll save it until I open it back up or something.

I'm not getting any of the field hockey on TV, just online...and from what I'm hearing NBC doesn't allow anyone outside the country to watch their online feed, which makes exactly no sense...except maybe to assure that there won't be major buffering problems. Which is something else I've heard is a big problem. Hope it's not tomorrow.

Hopefully tomorrow night I'll get on and watch some more of the women's games. We'll see how it goes, because I have a lot to do tomorrow.

I know of one or two Aussies who've been able to make the NBC stream work, but my internet is way to crappy to be watching live streaming! Laughing

The Aussies had a tough encounter last night and were VERY lucky to get away with a 5-4 win. Firstly, Korea got away to a 4-1 lead at half time, only to have the Aussies comeback in the second with 4 more goals ... however a goal was allowed that probably shouldn't have been, after coming off an Aussie knee ... but they DID put it to the video ref, and even they counted it, so lucky for us, I guess!

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAE, the Aussie ladies are so cute in those yellow outfits. I wish I could go get one and bring her home with me. Wink

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
AAE, the Aussie ladies are so cute in those yellow outfits. I wish I could go get one and bring her home with me. Wink

Haha yea, I really like our uniforms for both mens and womens hockey. Unfortunately for you, nearly every one of the Hockeyroos is spoken for Wink Laughing

Unfortunately we're not getting the game on TV cos the bloody swimming is on ... last I heard though, we were down 0-1 ... early days yet though.

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Halftime...tied at 1. Smile

My dad stayed for a while in Sydney many years ago, and I guess I get my reasonable adoration for Aussies from that, because he loved the place. One day I'm going there...I wish I'd have been able to go for the Olympics.

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
Halftime...tied at 1. Smile

My dad stayed for a while in Sydney many years ago, and I guess I get my reasonable adoration for Aussies from that, because he loved the place. One day I'm going there...I wish I'd have been able to go for the Olympics.

Yea *just* read an updated score online ... did you happen to catch the name of the goal scorer? UGH. I want to watch this game! I'm tipping Kate Hollywood to have a wicked good tournament. She's a gun.

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know...it was 1-1 when I first tuned in with 6 minutes to go in the first half...and NBC's website's play-by-play for field hockey is non-existent.

It looks like Liddelow just whacked herself with her own stick accidentally. Ouch.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aussies now up, 2-1, and I missed that one, too. I was watching our men's gymnastics team on high bar. Doh!

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
It looks like Liddelow just whacked herself with her own stick accidentally. Ouch.

Haha that sounds really stupid, but it's easy to do ... this much I know haha.

Liddelow is going alright so far. She shouldn't have even been on the team, except first time Olympian Johnson hurt herself in a warm up game in Beijing, and had to go home, so Liddelow replaced her ... 2 goals in the other day's comeback win, kinda makes her worth it!

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Casey Eastham just scored...3-1. Didnt' see it, but I did get over there from here in time to see the graphic that she scored one. I'm getting closer!

Ottie

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't believe you can see this and we have to sit watching swimming semi finals.

.... Michael Phelps replays as I'm typing this!!!!!

God I hate channel 7.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angela Lambert just scored on a nice long shot off a penalty corner to make it 4-1. Her shot went right underneath the goalie's stick. Nine minutes remain, looks like the Aussies are gonna get the win here.

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ahhhh that's better ladies! I don't know why they're starting so slowly these first couple of games, usually they go out full of fire. Hopefully they're just cruising in 2nd gear during the prelims Confused Laughing

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Emily Halladay scores via deflection of a shot off a penalty corner to make it 5-1.

The hot little Aussie team is putting the boots to Spain today.

AAEmotion

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
Emily Halladay scores via deflection of a shot off a penalty corner to make it 5-1.

The hot little Aussie team is putting the boots to Spain today.

Haha thanks for the updates Jimmy, FINALLY it's ON TV HERE!

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holy crap that Nikki Hudson goal to go up 2-1 was awesome. She's got such good stick work ...

And man, I wish they'd put Attard up in the forwards and off the backline! I hardly get to see her play when she's stuck in the back corner!

PostPosted: 08/11/08 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're welcome! Nice goal at the end to close things out. The Aussies are really good on penalty corners. They had one late that just missed or it would've been 7.

Good game, the sixth field hockey game I've ever seen. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: