RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Opening Ceremonies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mb1

PostPosted: 08/09/08 6:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The gold medal for opening ceremonies resides in Bejing!

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
jersey_stupka

Location: Outer loop of the Capital Beltway heading towards the new National Zoo

PostPosted: 08/09/08 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
okay, the west coast isn't anywhere near the athletes marching in yet. we just finished the tai chi performance. it was awesome. i liked the drumming, too.

so many beautiful moments in the OC...gotta say the drum opening was most stunning and coolest moment yet...

PostPosted: 08/09/08 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ABSOLUTELY fabulous. Watched from beginning to end and was captivated. You could feel the sense of pride in the Chinese people.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
To the following cities playing host to the Olympics, you should probably just hang it up with regards to opening ceremonies, you ain't topping this, sorry.

x_____________________

that will not be topped. a friend and i were joking about atlanta, trying to think back and not remembering what they did. but we were imagining . . . "okay, everybody got their sparklers? balloons? face paint? and you remember the steps, right? okay! let's go!"

PostPosted: 08/09/08 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

potd41 wrote:
What country could top that....WOW. Cool BTW, my family back east was able to watch the ceremony LIVE on a Canadian channel this morning without having to listen to those two bozo's Rolling Eyes

leave it to the good old us of a to defile the olympic ceremony - first by tape-delaying it and second (so they can get lots of money) by overloading it with commercials. i watched the olympic ceremony in brasil once ('92?) - no commercials - and everyone in the home where i was staying pulled up regular, hardback chairs to a small tv and sat there the whole time watching the whole ceremony. the broadcasters were reverent, befitting a procession. sounds like canada is along the more respectful lines, too, and i would guess most countries do not broadcast this the way we do.

and keira wouldn't be pissed about PR getting short shrift. (altho i do appreciate that nbc at least did a quick rewind of what countries were missed during the breaks.)

as for bozos, there were three. one is a seasoned journalist who was based in the china bureau, and i thought he added value to the commentary. matt lauer - well, that's my guy, but he was new at this. and bob costas isn't someone i enjoy much, but he is a walking encyclopedia about the olympics. he's like a pilight for the olympics, so i didn't have a problem with him.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if i started thinking about the best part of that show, i'd go nuts. so many beautiful moments. but what zhang yimou really used to good effect was the principle of, well, magic. and with it, the seamlessness of the various parts, blending entries and exits.

when he had you fixated on one element, another surprise element was queuing up somewhere else. you were looking at the images on the membrane above, then being wowed by something on the stadium floor, and vice versa. i couldn't believe it when the commentators said that, a few minutes before the torch relay, the big torch wasn't even there. how the hell'd they do that?! was it just covered up so no one could see it? i know i was thinking, "now, where the hell are they gonna light this thing?"

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
To the following cities playing host to the Olympics, you should probably just hang it up with regards to opening ceremonies, you ain't topping this, sorry.

Didn't they say that about the Barcelona archer? As long as technology and human imagination continue to thrive, someone will find a way to top what has gone before. Cool

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Didn't they say that about the Barcelona archer? As long as technology and human imagination continue to thrive, someone will find a way to top what has gone before. Cool

i have to admit - i thought greece's opening ceremony was pretty untoppable. you're right, of course. but, no "offence" to richyyy, this kind of spectacle is probably not england's forte. i'd loved to be proved wrong.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
jap wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

i have to admit - i thought greece's opening ceremony was pretty untoppable. you're right, of course. but, no "offence" to richyyy, this kind of spectacle is probably not england's forte. i'd loved to be proved wrong.

You never know. They just might produced a fire-breathing dragon to light the Olympic torch. Or they may release Beowulf from his lair and have him running through streets of London with the the everlasting flame. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
sambista wrote:
jap wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

You never know. They just might produced a fire-breathing dragon to light the Olympic torch. Or they may release Beowulf from his lair and have him running through streets of London with the the everlasting flame. Laughing

i'm pretty sure horses (at the least) will be involved.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
jap wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Heh, no offense taken. At all. I can't imagine what on Earth we'll come up with. China and Greece both had obvious historical artistic styles to work from as a base, but I'm not sure what ours would be. We can probably do dramatic and impressive, but beautiful and artistic might be a bit more of a stretch. Never know though. A single Tower of London raven released to light the flame? St. George slays the Dragon, which with its last breath lights the cauldron? Who knows.

ETA: They'll probably just get David Beckham to do it with a flaming football Rolling Eyes .

Scarab

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

x_____________________

that will not be topped. a friend and i were joking about atlanta, trying to think back and not remembering what they did

Just to refresh your memory, two words: Muhammad Ali.

Last edited by Scarab on 08/09/08 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they could get Amy Winehouse to spontaneously combust

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Laughing Laughing

sambista

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

that's just wrong.

Location: Outer loop of the Capital Beltway heading towards the new National Zoo

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

that's just wrong.

that's just hilarious... Wink

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

But will she live long enough to see 2012?

sambista

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

But will she live long enough to see 2012?

not bloody likely. she seems to be on a mission.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty impressive opening ceremony. I love the parade of countries; the looks of pride on their on being able to represent your country was very evident.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 08/09/08 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They didn't even include PR in the recap after the break....normally I'm not this disappointed, but damn, I still am!!! Sad

[quote="sambista"]

and keira wouldn't be pissed about PR getting short shrift. (altho i do appreciate that nbc at least did a quick rewind of what countries were missed during the breaks.)

PostPosted: 08/09/08 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

I was taking a drink of water just as I scrolled to this post...almost choked! Laughing

I thought the opening ceremonies were amazing and very beautiful. It will be a tough act to follow.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, I was very underwhelmed by our "garment". We certainly could've done a lot better. But of course someone had to break into a samba at some point...look for Daiane dos Santos to so in gymnastics. Her number includes some pretty cool samba moves.

PostPosted: 08/10/08 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was reading the recap of events in yesterday's LA Times. The author said that Kobe Bryant, in his first Olympics, "seemed stunned" and "was quietly blending in."

Does anyone know why this is Bryant's first Olympics? I wasn't aware of that.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Basketball Fan

PostPosted: 08/11/08 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
I was reading the recap of events in yesterday's LA Times. The author said that Kobe Bryant, in his first Olympics, "seemed stunned" and "was quietly blending in."

2000- He opted not to join he was planning on getting married that year and I think they didn't want him back then.

2004- Colorado

Sass

PostPosted: 08/11/08 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Basketball Fan wrote:
Sass wrote:

2000- He opted not to join he was planning on getting married that year and I think they didn't want him back then.

2004- Colorado

OK.

I'm glad it happened that way, because it was nice to see his usually-arrogant ass quiet and subdued for a change. Wish he would stay that way.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: