RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

USA Women's Gameday: 8/9 vs. Czech Republic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norwester

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps "points" was imprecisely stated. I think how it works is if there's a tie in record, then ranking coming out of pool play depends on who registered the greater average margin of victory.

As has been mentioned, that likely won't matter for the USA team, but it still affects international perception on "running up the score" and how it's not necessarily unsporting.

Still, it's hard to dial back with the quality of our deep bench. A nice problem to have.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jersey_stupka wrote:
norwester wrote:
A comment on "running up the score." That really doesn't exist internationally because at least in pool play you get points for the size of the victory. So teams internationally want to run the score up, and it's not necessarily seen as bad form as it would be in the US.

Good game for us. Nice to see us shake the jitters off. Taurasi had a particularly great game, as did Fowles. I really loved to see our bench get so much time, too.

ok,,,what kind of points do you get and what is the result of putting the pedal to the metal?

You don't get any kind of bonus points for winning by lots or anything like that. The group standings are decided by record. But where points are meaningful are if teams are tied on record, because they'll decide who wins the tiebreaker.

So extra scoring should be irrelevant for the US becasue they shouldn't lose in the group, but you're honestly unlikely to hear any bitching about running up the score either way. In a small group there's no harm in giving yourself some extra leeway.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
kage wrote:
braveniler58 wrote:
Damn, Fowles. Rip it up.

How does she do this?! She's so agile and it looks like she's improved a bunch since the FF. Much more confident too in her shot and making good plays.

She's definitely improved. That's for sure. Can't wait to see her play for the Sky again Smile

Speak of the devil, that was a REALLY athletic move by Fowles Shocked Very Happy

Makes you wonder what her wnba stats would be had she not gotten injured. Good to see her improvement at the line Very Happy

sbjules

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kage wrote:
braveniler58 wrote:
Quote:
I became a huge Cappie Pondexter fan today.

Cool

Brev, you jerk. Stop stealing my brainwaves... Razz

And I was reminded how much I've always loved seeing her play Smile

smenko

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know if any of these games are going to be archived? It seems my cable provider has an outage in my state and I couldn't watch the game. I'm lucky I can get this message out. Figures.

bballfan

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I LOVE our USA bball team.
Cappie DOES pass the ball. Razz
Dee continues to AMAZE me on and off the court.
Big Syl RULES! Cool

http://www.myspace.com/cappie23officialfansite
Sass

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

braveniler58 wrote:
TigerVol wrote:
oh no...now I am liking DT...nice interview.

Good. It's impossible to dislike that woman. She is amazing.

Are you crazy? Taurasi is one of the most polarizing figures in the league? Not impossible - very very possible.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
bballgrl

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jersey_stupka wrote:
George Bush ducking out after the third quarter ends... Laughing

Donovan and GG very engaged...Mike T seems the odd man out...not that it matters with the lead USA has built...

bench looks happy but they need to tone it down...we don't need to be hated anymore than we are...

also i could do without the parker scowls when she gets called for fouls etc.

That is her MO along with talking to the refs and you will probably see more of the same throughout the games.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 08/09/08 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

smenko wrote:
Does anyone know if any of these games are going to be archived? It seems my cable provider has an outage in my state and I couldn't watch the game. I'm lucky I can get this message out. Figures.

There is an NBC Encore section for televised events - see opening ceremony stuff and a couple of soccer games but no Bball...may just not be up yet.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/nbcencore/index.html

jaye

PostPosted: 08/09/08 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

god ya'll find a lot to find fault with.....sometimes being in here is like walking by the "it girls" table in the lunchroom..... Confused

PostPosted: 08/09/08 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jaye wrote:
god ya'll find a lot to find fault with.....sometimes being in here is like walking by the "it girls" table in the lunchroom..... Confused

It's like that every day here.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/09/08 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After a slow start, the Women played well.

I was glad AD played Candace a lot. She just looks like she needs to get comfortable. Lisa wasn't too good either. She didn't look too graceful, and her timing was off. Hopefully she'll become more comfortable too.

Cappie. SEE. That's the Cappie I love. Loved how she got the men to stand up and cheer after her crossover. Seimone was solid too. Catch played well too. Nice game for her. And I love seeing KLaw prove everyone wrong.

Birdy played well after a slow start. Tina doesn't like to pass. That, hopefully, will change. (I've got a feeling it's AD's offensive scheme)

Dee and Big Syl...apparently felt the need to show off for the men's team. Wink

On a side note, it was great to see the Men's team there. Their like, mentality is different..in a positive way. It was nice to see them cheering, instead of with the headphones being forced to go. Looks like Kobe is gonna have fun walking around.... Laughing

PostPosted: 08/09/08 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any chance CP15 can get better adapted to the way they call travels internationally in a span of couple weeks? In the later rounds those 4 points the U.S. lost because she was called for traveling after using some of her routine moves could be VERY costly.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Any chance CP15 can get better adapted to the way they call travels internationally in a span of couple weeks? In the later rounds those 4 points the U.S. lost because she was called for traveling after using some of her routine moves could be VERY costly.

I am sure she will figure the one out very quickly Wink

The missed FTs tho... Confused Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Razz

PostPosted: 08/09/08 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myt wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Oh she's never figuring that one out, lol.

I don't know if many people remember this, but Parker was a very reliable FT shooter her first year at UT. She played for the Senior National team the summer after that (I think it was that summer) and in the finals IIRC something happened, a foul or something the crowd didn't agree with it was a VERY anti-American crowd anyway and they booed and harassed her to no end at the FT line. She missed all the free throws after that. Quite frankly, she's never been as reliable at the line since that happened. It's just a mental barrier now.

IMO, she needs to take the off-season off to not only heal but to improve on the areas and weaknesses in her game. She hasn't had time to improve on things since she started playing her redshirt soph year at UT. You get better in the off-season and she hasn't really had an "off-season" in like 4 years.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the basketball channel, no commercials, no interruptions, no half games and switching back and forth! Thank you DirecTv!

Sylvia Fowles rocked, you could not even tell she was off for all those weeks. Double, double!

Slow to start of course, but Coach D called the time out and like a great coach does gets her team back on track. Didn't see that much in the last season she coached for the Storm.

Sue just keeps proving she is the right choice for the starting PG.

Candace had come great moves, blocks, and buckets, but in this game it was Sylvia that impressed me. All in all great job by the USA.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."
jap

PostPosted: 08/09/08 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Next up: USA vs China on Monday.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TigerVol wrote:
smenko wrote:

There is an NBC Encore section for televised events - see opening ceremony stuff and a couple of soccer games but no Bball...may just not be up yet.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/nbcencore/index.html

Thanks for the link. Hopefully it is added. I saw a commercial that said it was 2am and I taped for 3 hours - ARG!!! There goes my chance of getting all games on tape like I did for 04.

myt

PostPosted: 08/09/08 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
myt wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:

Oh she's never figuring that one out, lol.

I don't know if many people remember this, but Parker was a very reliable FT shooter her first year at UT. She played for the Senior National team the summer after that (I think it was that summer) and in the finals IIRC something happened, a foul or something the crowd didn't agree with it was a VERY anti-American crowd anyway and they booed and harassed her to no end at the FT line. She missed all the free throws after that. Quite frankly, she's never been as reliable at the line since that happened. It's just a mental barrier now.

IMO, she needs to take the off-season off to not only heal but to improve on the areas and weaknesses in her game. She hasn't had time to improve on things since she started playing her redshirt soph year at UT. You get better in the off-season and she hasn't really had an "off-season" in like 4 years.

X _________________________ Cool

The rest would do her good.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina didn't have the greatest of games. I wonder if the Houston annoucement is somewhat distracting for her.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Tina didn't have the greatest of games. I wonder if the Houston annoucement is somewhat distracting for her.

I'm pretty sure she knew Houston had a problem way before we did.

PostPosted: 08/09/08 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the game is being reshown on cbut right now, if you get that channel. Smile

PostPosted: 08/09/08 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Problem, yes, but the players are never the first to know about things like the actual decisions being made, for instance in this case that they were looking for a new owner now, and not at the end of the season, and if none is found they may relocate.

Seattle's situation was more precipitous, since no one really even knew the team was for sale before it was sold, but it was still shocking (and we lost the game we found out about the sale in the middle of).

PostPosted: 08/09/08 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damnit, I stayed up the entire night and thought the game came on at 8:30 so I turned it to USA at 8:30 and its the second quarter and then after laying down I feel asleep like after watching for 10 minutes, I'm so pissed. For now on, I'm going to sleep before these games...

PRballer

PostPosted: 08/09/08 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Gail the odds on favorite to be the 2012 coach? Or is it Dawn?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: