RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Opals opponents 'risk being killed'
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paigeme

PostPosted: 08/06/08 10:30 am    ::: Opals opponents 'risk being killed' Reply Reply with quote

Let the trash talking commence!

Quote:
Centre Suzy Batkovic said she was glad the Opals lost the game because the result gave the Americans, whom she agreed were dirty because they were "embarrassed by being ranked third in the world", false hope.

"They were peeved off," Batkovic said. "They were just trying to say they're hungry for it but I just think we're hungrier and we're better than them.

"We have a lot more to give than we did last night.

I only saw bits and pieces but the match didn't strike me as that dirty so this article comes as somewhat of a surprise. That must have not been a pleasant handshake line afterwards.

Last edited by paigeme on 08/06/08 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
bullsky

PostPosted: 08/06/08 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of all people to talk shit, it's Suzy Batkovic who, oh by the way, got beat off the dribble by Candace Parker several times. Shocked

The fact that Kristi and Suzy and whoever else thinks that the USA tried to "injure" them for the Olympics is hilarious, yet ridiculous. It was a physical game, that's it. But hey, this is IDEAL lockerroom material. I was waiting for Llona Korstin to talk shit, but Suzy beat her to it! Thanks Suzy! Cool

PostPosted: 08/06/08 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like this quote by Harrower:

Quote:
Harrower said the Opals had not had a proper preparation for the Games but were improving with every outing.

"I think we can walk away with the gold medal," she said. "I really believe that now that we played them last night."

It just goes to show how important the Diamond Ball preparations were for the Opals. Team USA just doesn't have the mystique anymore. Like Penny said, we're not backing down to anybody anymore.

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see it so I can't say, but I do think there is a problem with the way some players set screens.

I think the W officials have allowed illegal screens to pass, and so now the elbows are flying and players are getting tangled up.

Wonder how the officials in the Olympic games will call it...

I've got much love for Penny, but I'm USA all the way. She should wear the shiner with pride.

Ineffably sublime
John 1:1-5
caune

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

paigeme wrote:

Quote:
Harrower said the Opals had not had a proper preparation for the Games but were improving with every outing.

"I think we can walk away with the gold medal," she said. "I really believe that now that we played them last night."

haven't had proper preperation?
Hasn't the whole team but Lozza been playing togather for months now? Seems pretty good preparation to me Shocked

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2Old4Title9 wrote:

Wonder how the officials in the Olympic games will call it...

are the FIBA rules different than the W's?

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bitter. Pathetic. Just play basketball and deal with it.

We'll see.

Rolling Eyes

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
CRASH

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
paigeme wrote:

Quote:

haven't had proper preperation?
Hasn't the whole team but Lozza been playing togather for months now? Seems pretty good preparation to me Shocked

LJ and Tully, but....
I was about to post the same thing!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think that's a pretty stupid statement considering the team she's saying this about has been together, what about a week now? I didn't see the game, but posters on here said PFT got the black eye from TT... if this is true, I don't think it was "Dirty". Rolling Eyes

I think (hope) that Bat is trying to get a controversy going to drum up business... so to speak. Wink

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's funny how easily you guys get bent out of shape.

"If Seattle decides to sit Wright, Little and Stricklen for the majority of the season for stuffy noses, ingrown toenails and acid reflux you can start talking about shams." psheehy
bullsky

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shed wrote:
It's funny how easily you guys get bent out of shape.

You're telling me that if Lisa or Diana said the same things, you wouldn't be annoyed? Okay dokey.

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh Cry me a River, see the ladies don't have to talk ish. We let our play speak for us. Cool . They got beat by the best team in the world, and is just trying to make excuses oh well, thanks for the bulletin board material ladies... Very Happy

SayTownSpurs

PostPosted: 08/06/08 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
The fact that Kristi and Suzy and whoever else thinks that the USA tried to "injure" them for the Olympics is hilarious, yet ridiculous. It was a physical game, that's it. But hey, this is IDEAL lockerroom material. I was waiting for Llona Korstin to talk shit, but Suzy beat her to it! Thanks Suzy! Cool

I agree. It's a physical game and it seemed like Kristi and Suzy were just ticked because they lost. I seriously doubt Team USA was intentionally trying to injure any of the Aussies.

I still think the Aussies have what it takes to beat Team USA. Like LJ said in that article, they didn't play their best ball and only lost by 4.

www.myspace.com/nothingmoremusic
ulynxfan

PostPosted: 08/06/08 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

-Batkovic needs to get her facts straight, lol the US is still ranked #1 not #3. Why would we be embarrased if that was the case anyways?
-Batkovic is paranoid. Nobody is trying to injure anybody
-Batkovic did get her ankle broken, but it was from a Parker dribble Very Happy
-The match was physical, not dirty, although the screen by Thompson was rough
-Harrower should check and see that the US had even less prep time
-No one is asking Taylor or Paigme to back down, lol. Play tough play fair

Last edited by ulynxfan on 08/06/08 12:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
CRASH

PostPosted: 08/06/08 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

.... and let the games begin!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 08/06/08 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't see either. This just makes it seem that the USA is out to reclaim gold at all costs - sort of like the NBA playoffs. Laughing Other teams better be ready for war! Laughing

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 08/06/08 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't this the same Suzy "Batgirl" Batkovic that could barely last a season in the WNBA???

She obviously prefers the rigors of the soft life in Euro-play.

I remember seeing her for the first time in Athens and thinking she would NEVER come over to the W!!! She was consistently getting pushed, shoved, and beaten by Yo, Lisa, and I really don't think she ever wanted to see Tina Thompson again... Laughing

I love Batgirl's offense, but she just has no clue what to do on the defensive end of the floor.

Furthermore, she wasn't even on the Gold Medal winning World Championship team due to inability to play after some surgery. She has not seen this much physical play since the Comets ran the Storm out of their own gym in the Fabulous Game Three in 2005.

If the Opals and Team USA are still standing come August 23rd, it could be the match of the century. Don't blink...just bring it.

PostPosted: 08/06/08 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a riot coming from the girl who elbowed Taurasi in the neck.. Rolling Eyes
(And seeing as Taurasi helped Belinda Snell up, after Snelly tripped...it wasn't like she was at her dirtiest this game..)

Tina's pick on Penny was hard. But it wasn't dirty. In fact, it really shouldn't have been a foul on Tina, as she was there, and Penny just ran into her. Unfortunately, Penny got hurt.

PostPosted: 08/06/08 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
That's a riot coming from the girl who elbowed Taurasi in the neck.. Rolling Eyes
(And seeing as Taurasi helped Belinda Snell up, after Snelly tripped...it wasn't like she was at her dirtiest this game..)

Tina's pick on Penny was hard. But it wasn't dirty. In fact, it really shouldn't have been a foul on Tina, as she was there, and Penny just ran into her. Unfortunately, Penny got hurt.

Tina was hit hard as well, and IIRC was on the floor holding her jaw.

PostPosted: 08/06/08 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't care who this offends, but Batkovic and Harrower are wimps who never should've logged a meaningful minute in the WNBA. IOW, they both suck. So, Big Bad Team USA is too physical and intentionally tries to injure its opponents? Are you kidding me? This is basketball at its highest level. You don't think the games are going to be a little physical?

Let's hear what Lauren Jackson, Penny Taylor, Tully Bevilaqua, Erin Phillips, and Belinda Snell--you know, the Australian-born WNBA players who *gasp* actually have talent--have to say about the physical play of the Americans. I'd be more inclined to listen to them than to listen to a couple of low-talent softies. Having said that, I believe Australia can defeat the United States, but they won't get the job done by whining about the physicality--which is a by-product of an intense competition.

Mathies to LA 2013
caune

PostPosted: 08/06/08 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think both teams are damned tough, and neither is dirty...well OK LJ v LLL can get a little dirty but that's between the two of them Wink

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
You're telling me that if Lisa or Diana said the same things, you wouldn't be annoyed? Okay dokey.

No actually I wouldn't as it takes a lot more than a few quotes to get me riled up but you're right who let this bloody bunch of miscreants comment on the mighty US team.

"If Seattle decides to sit Wright, Little and Stricklen for the majority of the season for stuffy noses, ingrown toenails and acid reflux you can start talking about shams." psheehy
paigeme

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shed wrote:
bullsky wrote:

No actually I wouldn't as it takes a lot more than a few quotes to get me riled up but you're right who let this bloody bunch of miscreants comment on the mighty US team.

Hey, let's just hope Team USA is this easily rattled. Wink For the record, Penny stated that it was one of the most physical games she's ever been involved in, and Loz had this to say:
"Games like that definitely leave a sour taste in your mouth, but it makes you more determined to get them in the future," she said

So it's not only our "softies" who thought the match was a bit on the physical side. And this from Taurasi:
Today was more of a fight than a basketball game (laughing).

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

paigeme wrote:

Hey, let's just hope Team USA is this easily rattled. Wink For the record, Penny stated that it was one of the most physical games she's ever been involved in, and Loz had this to say:
"Games like that definitely leave a sour taste in your mouth, but it makes you more determined to get them in the future," she said

So it's not only our "softies" who thought the match was a bit on the physical side. And this from Taurasi:

Nobody even on the US team has denied it was physical- thats one thing. Claiming that players were out there intended to physically injure is another.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/06/08 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

paigeme wrote:
Shed wrote:
bullsky wrote:

This is our Olympic team. This team is one of the few things at the moment that makes me (and probably a lot of people on here) proud of our Country.

Calling them dirty won't go over well. Especially when the physical play wasn't one sided.

Last edited by mercfan3 on 08/06/08 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 08/06/08 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

paigeme wrote:
Shed wrote:
bullsky wrote:

As noted, none of the quotes suggest it was dirty and/or one sided physicality.

LJ is no whimp (and i think it was the LOSS that left a bitter taste) nor is Penny. The grrl beat Detroit -- don't you remember that series? Katie's black eye sure does... Smile

Calling a team "physical" isn't an insult (though some use it as such.) Suggesting a team or player is out to injure an opponent is an insult.

Personally, I refer to Sue Wicks' definition:

http://www.womensbasketballonline.com/hw/qa/wicks.html

WB: You're known for your strong defense. What do you see as the difference between physical and dirty?

SW: Dirty play it is any time you're trying to hurt a player. A physical play, or "veteran" play, is any time you're trying to slow them down from scoring baskets or being at their full strength. That's the defensive player's job. If someone says I grabbed their jersey or pushed them out of bounds or fouled them and the ref didn't call it, well you know what? The ref didn't call it so it's not a foul! That's not my problem.

I really feel strongly about that. I tell the players on the other team -- after I grab their jersey -- I say, "Well, you know, you should do that too! Put it in your book." You should learn from these plays not sit there and cry about it. Any time someone has done these things to me - like a Valerie Still or a Janice Lawrence, all these older players -- when they did this to me I really appreciated it. Of course, one learns the trade before you learn the tricks, but the tricks are part of the game. Like I said, when the game comes down to one basket or person being confident at the end of the game or being frustrated you wanted to everything that you can do.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: