RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Becky gets Russian Uniform
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baker10

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Sass"]
cherrystreet wrote:
I think those of you who keep saying they are only games are really missing the boat. Back in the day, it meant more than that. It was really about the prowess of your country's best against the rest. And nobody would have been caught dead cheering for another country, especially Germany or Russia.

I guess it really does show that patriotism doesn't mean much to many people in the United States. Also, I don't think other citizens from any country would support the USA over their country ever. I guess that's the price your pay for allowing such freedoms. And I wonder if a player like Dirk, LJ or even Yao would ever play for the United States against their own country in an international competition. I doubt it.

Beautifully and eloquently stated, cherrystreet. I agree that patriotism, like community and caring, have gone out the window for the citizens of this country. We now live in a disposable, "who gives a shit about you cause it's all about me" world. The fact that American athletes now feel it's their "right" to go play for another country underscores this fact.

The Olympics did indeed used to be about the pride and prowess of cheering for your own country. Despite the fact that Russia has cleaned up its act a lot in the last 20 years, I wouldn't cheer for that country if you paid me.

I agree that there's no way athletes from other countries would try to play for the US. I'm sure the Russians are snickering privately that Hammon would defect from her own country to play for them. And I'm sorry for the Russian woman she replaced on the team.[/quote]

get over it! don't try and start your political warfare over a fricken basketball team..

so how do you feel about Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger? Are you secretly laughing behind his back along with millions of other Californians?

Sass

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
Sass wrote:

Naw, I dismissed you and your traitorous views first.

LMFAO!! noo nooo

you first you first!! Rolling Eyes

I cant believe you are serious when you say

Quote:
I agree that there's no way athletes from other countries would try to play for the US.

that may be one of the most ridiculous things Ive read on this board in weeks.

That's what I say whenever I read something you have written on this issue, so I guess we're even.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
HotForHammon

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
cherrystreet wrote:
I think those of you who keep saying they are only games are really missing the boat. Back in the day, it meant more than that. It was really about the prowess of your country's best against the rest. And nobody would have been caught dead cheering for another country, especially Germany or Russia.

I guess it really does show that patriotism doesn't mean much to many people in the United States. Also, I don't think other citizens from any country would support the USA over their country ever. I guess that's the price your pay for allowing such freedoms. And I wonder if a player like Dirk, LJ or even Yao would ever play for the United States against their own country in an international competition. I doubt it.

Beautifully and eloquently stated, cherrystreet. I agree that patriotism, like community and caring, have gone out the window for the citizens of this country. We now live in a disposable, "who gives a shit about you cause it's all about me" world. The fact that American athletes now feel it's their "right" to go play for another country underscores this fact.

The Olympics did indeed used to be about the pride and prowess of cheering for your own country. Despite the fact that Russia has cleaned up its act a lot in the last 20 years, I wouldn't cheer for that country if you paid me.

I agree that there's no way athletes from other countries would try to play for the US. I'm sure the Russians are snickering privately that Hammon would defect from her own country to play for them. And I'm sorry for the Russian woman she replaced on the team.

Maybe you should check the US Olympic rosters for each sport because we have quite a few of them in this Olympiad as well as in past ones...some have even won medals for the birth countires.

As for non caring about socitey this is the most generous country in the world...the US is the only country willing to put out a helping hand when people are in need through out the world and that is something I am damn proud of and the WNBA and it players have been a conduit for leanding a helping hand. And on occasion you have fans getting involved. The Hammonites rasied $1,160.00 for the battered womens and childrens shelter in Becky's name and most recently we rasied $1,120.00 and dontaed in Ruth Riley's name to the Nothing But Nets charity. Not a lot of ME first going on who gives a shit going on with Becky's fans.

STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:
Sass wrote:

Naw, I dismissed you and your traitorous views first.

LMFAO!! noo nooo

you first you first!! Rolling Eyes

I cant believe you are serious when you say

Quote:
I agree that there's no way athletes from other countries would try to play for the US.

that may be one of the most ridiculous things Ive read on this board in weeks.

That's what I say whenever I read something you have written on this issue, so I guess we're even.

Can you hear me now?

By the way H.... BRAVO!!!

Sass

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boy, you Hammon supporters make Sue Bird fans look positively sane and normal. Laughing

Have a nice former communist regime day. Very Happy

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
DRS9

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, I cannot wait for the Olympics to be over and medals are given (and not just b/c that means WNBA comes back on ;]). But it's mostly so this Becky/Russia/patriotism stuff can be laid to rest.

And yes, patrioitism has gone down and only seems to resurface when a crisis happens, ie 9-11... then everyone goes back to same old same old.

PostPosted: 08/01/08 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
Boy, you Hammon supporters make Sue Bird fans look positively sane and normal. Laughing

Wow.. communist.. Ive been called that before actually, but for you to call someone communist over the support of a basketball player is ridiculous and just straight up bitchy Laughing

Angus24

PostPosted: 08/01/08 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those of you who think that "back in the days" the Olympics were all about country against country have it exactly backwards. There have been several posts on this board describing the original concept of the Olympics as a gathering of "Elite" athletes to compete against each other. Had nothing to do with country against country. I live in Becky's hometown and I do not see any big negative reaction to Becky's plan to play for the Russians. I think that those who realize what a raw deal she got in the selection process are for her 100%

HotForHammon

PostPosted: 08/01/08 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:

First time I ever been reffered to as a communist. Laughing

It's like the second comming of Joesph McCarthy and the Red Scare around here.
I thought I read in history class he died back in the late 1950's...I guess his ghost is haunting the Rebkell...lol!

FS02

PostPosted: 08/01/08 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angus24 wrote:
Those of you who think that "back in the days" the Olympics were all about country against country have it exactly backwards. There have been several posts on this board describing the original concept of the Olympics as a gathering of "Elite" athletes to compete against each other. Had nothing to do with country against country. I live in Becky's hometown and I do not see any big negative reaction to Becky's plan to play for the Russians. I think that those who realize what a raw deal she got in the selection process are for her 100%

Amen!

Becky is just exercising her right. If she says she still loves America, then I have no reason to not believe her.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a Becky Hammon fan.

norwester

PostPosted: 08/01/08 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She didn't get a raw deal. The selection process always has been what it is, and the players are aware of it. I think we need to cease trying to assign blame just because she chose not to pursue making the team.

She did exercise her freedom, and I'm happy for her following her dream (one of them), but I like to see anyone be successful who works hard and is good at what they do, and can live doing what they love. I would not personally make her choice, but I understand her choice.

I also think everyone needs to stop getting so defensive about the whole thing, and admit that both sides have a point, but that by the same token neither side is wrong.

It's all about emotion. Some feel that they would never play against their country, and can't understand how others would. Legitimate. Some feel that it's their freedom as an American to do whatever they can to make a successful living. Also a valid point of view.

What is ridiculous is listening to each side argue over and over without listening to or acknowledging the other side and their point of view, while simultaneously tossing around dynamite words like "patriotic". Some people have agreed to disagree and have bowed out. But most of the rest seem to persist in posting extreme and repetitive views. Others twist everyone's words to fit their own preconceptions. Part of that is standard for a message board. But all the time, on the same dead-horse topic? It's tiresome.

At this point neither side is going to change the other's mind, and we continue to have to hear ad nauseum about the support Becky gets in the military town that San Antonio is painted as being, and how her home town does or does not support her, all the while we try to define the Olympics and patriotism and Capitalism and Communism...did this become a painful philosophy class while I wasn't looking?

Big surprise: her fans support her. Stop trying to convince them otherwise because you can't.

Big surprise: some people would never contemplate playing for a National team other than their own. Stop trying to convince them that they actually would with the right inducement (money, dreams, etc.), because you can't.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/01/08 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fascinating, now posts have "vanished" from this thread! Shocked

"What do you do when those with all the power are harming those who have none? You start by standing up and telling the truth."

I write for Off-Court.com Anything I write on this website are my own views and do not represent the organization in anyway.
shrrew

PostPosted: 08/01/08 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 08/01/08 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
She didn't get a raw deal. The selection process always has been what it is, and the players are aware of it. I think we need to cease trying to assign blame just because she chose not to pursue making the team.

She did exercise her freedom, and I'm happy for her following her dream (one of them), but I like to see anyone be successful who works hard and is good at what they do, and can live doing what they love. I would not personally make her choice, but I understand her choice.

I also think everyone needs to stop getting so defensive about the whole thing, and admit that both sides have a point, but that by the same token neither side is wrong.

It's all about emotion. Some feel that they would never play against their country, and can't understand how others would. Legitimate. Some feel that it's their freedom as an American to do whatever they can to make a successful living. Also a valid point of view.

What is ridiculous is listening to each side argue over and over without listening to or acknowledging the other side and their point of view, while simultaneously tossing around dynamite words like "patriotic". Some people have agreed to disagree and have bowed out. But most of the rest seem to persist in posting extreme and repetitive views. Others twist everyone's words to fit their own preconceptions. Part of that is standard for a message board. But all the time, on the same dead-horse topic? It's tiresome.

At this point neither side is going to change the other's mind, and we continue to have to hear ad nauseum about the support Becky gets in the military town that San Antonio is painted as being, and how her home town does or does not support her, all the while we try to define the Olympics and patriotism and Capitalism and Communism...did this become a painful philosophy class while I wasn't looking?

Big surprise: her fans support her. Stop trying to convince them otherwise because you can't.

Big surprise: some people would never contemplate playing for a National team other than their own. Stop trying to convince them that they actually would with the right inducement (money, dreams, etc.), because you can't.

X___________________
AGREE

"Memories are just where you leave them"

"Jimmy Choo, Bitches"
FS02

PostPosted: 08/01/08 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rothum wrote:

Maybe the Chinese government got wind of it. Wink

caune

PostPosted: 08/01/08 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

detroitgonnawin wrote:
norwester wrote:

X___________________
AGREE

Perfectly stated norwester!
Now I'll stop rattleing their cages Wink you said it all so well!

PostPosted: 08/01/08 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
Rothum wrote:

or I could have my threads mixed up! Embarassed

"What do you do when those with all the power are harming those who have none? You start by standing up and telling the truth."

I write for Off-Court.com Anything I write on this website are my own views and do not represent the organization in anyway.
STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 08/01/08 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
Rothum wrote:

Ha Ha!!! Good one! Laughing

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/01/08 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sass wrote:
The Olympics did indeed used to be about the pride and prowess of cheering for your own country.

FWIW, it still is for some people.
Here is an excerpt from an interview with Lauren Jackson (2MB MP3 file) that was conducted during the recent Opals-Brazil practice game in Sydney, the night before the team left for Beijing.
It's pretty safe to say that she still has the olympic spirit, and would never even contemplate jumping ship for a few dollars, a medal, or any other reason. This is the kind of spirit that glues me to my TV for 2 solid weeks every 4 years.

I let the clip run on for a bit longer than the relevant part, because Loz also takes an amusing shot at Nancy Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 08/01/08 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Sass wrote:
The Olympics did indeed used to be about the pride and prowess of cheering for your own country.

FWIW, it still is for some people.
Here is an excerpt from an interview with Lauren Jackson (2MB MP3 file) that was conducted during the recent Opals-Brazil practice game in Sydney, the night before the team left for Beijing.
It's pretty safe to say that she still has the olympic spirit, and would never even contemplate jumping ship for a few dollars, a medal, or any other reason. This is the kind of spirit that glues me to my TV for 2 solid weeks every 4 years.

I let the clip run on for a bit longer than the relevant part, because Loz also takes an amusing shot at Nancy Twisted Evil

I love LJ... but realistically its easy for her to say that, she has been playing for her country for years, she couldnt jump ship even if she wanted to

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/01/08 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, clearly no sincerity there in what she's saying.
She's just anti-Hammon or something. A hater. Hear her bitterness at her lack of freedom to go elsewhere Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/01/08 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:
In fact, I recall Hakeem saying he would love to live in Canada when retired. Plus, you know he spends some time where he is originally from as well.

Hakeem became a full time US Citizen and is very succesful in commercial real estate in Houston:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/06/25/watn.olajuwon/

PostPosted: 08/01/08 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
CB wrote:
In fact, I recall Hakeem saying he would love to live in Canada when retired. Plus, you know he spends some time where he is originally from as well.

Hakeem became a full time US Citizen and is very succesful in commercial real estate in Houston:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/nba/06/25/watn.olajuwon/

Thanks for the article. Since he became citizen in '93 according to this and played in Olympics in 96 it doesn't appear he was fast tracked for citizenship so I was wrong there.

Interesting though because it's a 2007 article, fairly recent.

Yep a citizen but the article doesn't speak of Houston as home and I guess he changed his mind about Canada but he definitely said that. He comes here to check on his investments.

Quote:
Olajuwon had first tried investing in stocks, but, he says, "stocks can give you a false sense of security. Real estate -- it's real." So during the 1990s he began to explore opportunities around the city he has known since age 17, when he came from his hometown of Lagos to play for the University of Houston.

Quote:
Olajuwon only buys and sells; he doesn't develop. Nearly every other block of downtown Houston features some property in which Olajuwon has had a role.

Quote:
Toward the end of his NBA career Olajuwon would spend off-seasons in Jordan, studying Arabic so he could read the Koran in the original. Now he inverts that schedule. He spends three or four months in Houston, checking up on his investments and tutoring NBA big men. The rest of the year he's in a farmhouse outside Amman, with his wife, Dalia, and their five children, ages 10 to two.

bullsky

PostPosted: 08/01/08 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

His daughter plays for Oklahoma.

PostPosted: 08/01/08 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CB wrote:

Yep a citizen but the article doesn't speak of Houston as home and I guess he changed his mind about Canada but he definitely said that. He comes here to check on his investments.

Quote:
Today Olajuwon, 44, proudly shows off that book in the living room of his home in Sugar Land, Texas, outside of Houston, ...

He owns property and lives there for part of the year. I presume he pays taxes on his US income and properties as well. He might even vote. A millionaire with muiltiple international homes is probably not uncommon.

Last edited by TonyL222 on 08/01/08 9:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: